ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don’t get it. Christie wasn’t great in college and is going to be in the G League majority of next year. G League is better than college. Cassius Winston was generational at MSU and is just a pretty good player in the G League.

Unless Max takes massive leaps I just don’t envision him as a rotational NBA player. I hope he proves me wrong but he doesn’t excel at anything and is pretty skinny to go along with it.
I've heard that, much like Jaren Jackson, Christie isn't someone that responds well to Izzo's coaching style. Of course, he should have known that before committing to MSU in the first place.

He may have just wanted out of an environment that he didn't find to be enjoyable and didn't think transferring was a viable alternative for him (I disagree but I'm not a 19 year old athlete).

@B1G_Fan wants to tell us that Indiana will be good so bad.
I think they’ll be good, but labeling them favorites at this point is hilarious. Literally just got 9th place in Conference and then got 30 pieced in their tournament game…

Hell I’ll take us or Michigan above them 10 times out of 10 without knowing how the rosters finish off.

Just gonna make this prediciton....

TJD returns----Indiana wins the B10. If he doesn't, I still think they are Top 4, or better.

IU with Davis, IMO, could be a legit E8, FF ceiling type of team. Lots of talent, and some very good frosh coming----JHS and Reneau....CJ Gunn is a sleeper.

Been a good while since I've been this excited about an IU team....Especially IF TJD returns.
I'll put them down as a sweet 16 top 20 team until I see Bates has improved, XJ continues how he finished the season, and the freshmen come in ready to contribute.

Reactions: kausrical
Doesn't seem like Ben Johnson is adding anymore players to next seasons squad. I'd expect this to be the starting lineup as of now.........

PG: Ta'lon Cooper - 1st team All-OVC @ Moorhead St.
SG: Braeden Carrington - MN Mr. Basketball. Better aim than Annie Oakley.
SF: Jamison Battle - Ginga Assassin
PF: Parker Fox - 1st team D2 All-American in 2020-21. Sat last year with injury.
C: Dawson Garcia - Third stop is the right stop.

Just gonna make this prediciton....

TJD returns----Indiana wins the B10. If he doesn't, I still think they are Top 4, or better.

IU with Davis, IMO, could be a legit E8, FF ceiling type of team. Lots of talent, and some very good frosh coming----JHS and Reneau....CJ Gunn is a sleeper.

Been a good while since I've been this excited about an IU team....Especially IF TJD returns.
Hail screenshot this for potential later use.

Doesn't seem like Ben Johnson is adding anymore players to next seasons squad. I'd expect this to be the starting lineup as of now.........

PG: Ta'lon Cooper - 1st team All-OVC @ Moorhead St.
SG: Braeden Carrington - MN Mr. Basketball. Better aim than Annie Oakley.
SF: Jamison Battle - Ginga Assassin
PF: Parker Fox - 1st team D2 All-American in 2020-21. Sat last year with injury.
C: Dawson Garcia - Third stop is the right stop.
Topical Annie Oakley reference

So for slow season … which 2 Big Ten schools has your team historically had the most bad blood with, and what 2 additional schools are you surprised there isn’t more bad blood with? For Illinois, IMO:

Historical Bad Blood:
Indiana - Bob Knight/Lou Henson feuds, Eric Gordon saga, bordering states that pride themselves on their basketball cultures, etc.

Iowa - Bruce Pearl, bad blood from 2019-20 to present, etc.

Surprised There Isn’t More:
Wisconsin - We’ve had some great battles over the years, and you’d think there’d be more of a natural rivalry with the Bears/Packers and general state rivalry dynamic.

Purdue - PU is actually the closest campus to Champaign and we both have basketball-crazy fan bases, but there has never been much hatred … maybe mutual dislike for IU?

So for slow season … which 2 Big Ten schools has your team historically had the most bad blood with, and what 2 additional schools are you surprised there isn’t more bad blood with? For Illinois, IMO:

Historical Bad Blood:
Indiana - Bob Knight/Lou Henson feuds, Eric Gordon saga, bordering states that pride themselves on their basketball cultures, etc.

Wisconsin - We’ve had some great battles over the years, and you’d think there’d be more of a natural rivalry with the Bears/Packers and general state rivalry dynamic.

Purdue - PU is actually the closest campus to Champaign and we both have basketball-crazy fan bases, but there has never been much hatred … maybe mutual dislike for IU?
Similar hatred of IU, similar school make-up/composition/degrees, and just generally don’t have an issue with Illinois tbh.

Historical Bad Blood:

On the Purdue front, there is definitely some impact with our mutual dislike of all things IU. But I too am surprised there isn't a bit more angst.

As far as historical bad blood:

Indiana is the obvious one for obvious reasons. The hatred runs deep on both sides

Michigan State is the other for us. This is all Izzo related. Obviously, there is some jealousy on Purdue fans' parts with the Final Fours. But we've also had a lot of battles for B1G titles and recruits and we've had Purdue fans screaming shenanigans on some (like Branden Dawsen) and MSU fans claiming Purdue turned Izzo in for a minor infraction.

As far as the other I'm surprised there isn't more, I'd have to say OSU. It's the only program that currently holds a winning record against Purdue (I think that's still true) and we've had some great battles. I just think Matta and Holtmann are harder to dislike than many coaches.

I'll put them down as a sweet 16 top 20 team until I see Bates has improved, XJ continues how he finished the season, and the freshmen come in ready to contribute.
I agree....Its why said a ceiling of an E8/FF...

Who are your guards?
XJ
JHS(5*)
Bates(4/5*)
CJ Gunn(4*)

Two are frosh. So thats tough. Looking for(hoping) Bates makes a nice leap----I think he does. Xavier was as good as any guard in the B10 down the stretch.....Need him to be that guy. Geronimo can play some 2, but more suited at the 3/4..

IF TJD returns, I see a line-up of:

XJ
Bates
Geronimo
Race
TJD

JHS, if as advertised, could start at the 2.....Reneau could start at the 3/4, maybe even play some at the 5...

Its all an "IF" game, of course. But talent is there---at least on paper. Although some is proven, i.e. XJ, Race and TJD...

Of course, TJD could stay in the draft, and all of this is moot....Though w/o him, I still think IU could be a pretty good team.

XJ
JHS(5*)
Bates(4/5*)
CJ Gunn(4*)

Two are frosh. So thats tough. Looking for(hoping) Bates makes a nice leap----I think he does. Xavier was as good as any guard in the B10 down the stretch.....Need him to be that guy. Geronimo can play some 2, but more suited at the 3/4..

XJ
Bates
Geronimo
Race
TJD

JHS, if as advertised, could start at the 2.....Reneau could start at the 3/4, maybe even play some at the 5...

Its all an "IF" game, of course. But talent is there---at least on paper. Although some is proven, i.e. XJ, Race and TJD...

Of course, TJD could stay in the draft, and all of this is moot....Though w/o him, I still think IU could be a pretty good team.
Your spacing is going to be horrible once again.

Get ready for 63 to 60 games all year.

Further solidifying that Iowa > Indiana, the Hawkeyes destroy the Hoosiers in baseball turned slow-pitch tonight by a final of 30-16. @IUfanBorden
30-16?!
iu

XJ
JHS(5*)
Bates(4/5*)
CJ Gunn(4*)

XJ
Bates
Geronimo
Race
TJD

In what world could Geronimo play some 2? I think he’ll struggle guarding the 3 let alone what he’d do at the 2.

Still not sure where your shooting is going to come from tbh.

Reactions: IU_Btown_Chicago
Averaged almost 17pts 7ast his final 10 games. He was playing pretty good at the end of the year.
Drawing a cutoff around an unsustainable 3 point shooting streak isn't how you project for the future. He had a good stretch. He also was pretty much an offensive dearth against anyone with a pulse.

image.png

• Haha
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Drawing a cutoff around an unsustainable 3 point shooting streak isn't how you project for the future. He had a good stretch. He also was pretty much an offensive dearth against anyone with a pulse.

image.png
As I just typed above, he played pretty good and much better the last 10 games. IF he can sustain that for the whole year IU will be much improved and have a chance in the tournament. Still going to be extremely post heavy which may bode well during the regular season but guards win the tournament.

Reactions: Jaycg15
As I just typed above, he played pretty good and much better the last 10 games. IF he can sustain that for the whole year IU will be much improved and have a chance in the tournament. Still going to be extremely post heavy which may bode well during the regular season but guards win the tournament.

Maybe I missed it but is Kopp back?

Maybe I missed it but is Kopp back?
He is back, yes. Fingers crossed in a much smaller role but Woodson seems to be infatuated with him. He at least tried on defense the last month of the season, but he’s pretty atrocious if he’s not taking/making threes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT