ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G Off-Season Thread****

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an Illinois fan, I would love to be able to say our program has won a title. But sucking for 10 years after would really suck.

Put me in the torn category, but leaning towards the title.
I really enjoy that 1941 title. Followed by 47 years of nothing. I'll take our 7 year run (2010-2017) over UVA's last 5. But not by much. A title is the ultimate trump card but no tourney seasons suck.

Reactions: hailtoyourvictor
As an Illinois fan, I would love to be able to say our program has won a title. But sucking for 10 years after would really suck.

10 years is a long time to basically give up your favorite hobby or be miserable over it. No amount of joy in the 1 season could make it replace 10 wasted years.

10 years is a long time to basically give up your favorite hobby or be miserable over it. No amount of joy in the 1 season could make it replace 10 wasted years.
I have “wasted” pretty much every year prior to the last 3 years being an Illinois fan anyways.

At least I’d get a title out of it in this scenario

Reactions: GOO_HAM
I really enjoy that 1941 title. Followed by 47 years of nothing. I'll take our 7 year run (2010-2017) over UVA's last 5. But not by much. A title is the ultimate trump card but no tourney seasons suck.
I know…. I have seen a combined 3 tourney wins over the last decade and half lol

Reactions: jwardelt
I know…. I have seen a combined 3 tourney wins over the last decade and half lol
Some badger fans went a lifetime w/o one so.....Count me as loving the shit out of the last 25 years or so.

Some badger fans went a lifetime w/o one so.....Count me as loving the shit out of the last 25 years or so.
I think some Badger fans went a lifetime without ever beating Purdue. Not sure what the win streak was but it was stupid.

• Haha
Yeah, I'd take a title followed by 9 straight years of missing the tournament.

• Haha
Reactions: jhmossy

I may just be a grass is greener type of guy, but as someone who wasn’t an MSU fan when we won the title and actually a UM guy growing up (I got in but loved my visit to MSU and got into their James Madison program which really peaked my interest) I just want to watch us win a title.

Having gone to a ton of Final Fours has been so fun and all of the great moments I’ve been able to watch have been awesome, but a National title would fulfill the sports fan in me like losing in the FF just hasn’t.

Reactions: 1016CC0503
I just can’t seeing me having more enjoyment following UConn’s past ten seasons over Michigan’s.

Im pretty surprised. It’s not like we’ve been dogshit outside our title run. 2018 ended horribly obviously but we were #1 overall seed and ACC tourney champs. 2019 was amazing. 2020 was top 2 finish in ACC and probably 6 seed in tourney. 2021 was ACC regular season champs and then postseason derailed by COVID. This year obviously sucked but no one has more wins over Sweet 16 teams than we do

Im pretty surprised. It’s not like we’ve been dogshit outside our title run. 2018 ended horribly obviously but we were #1 overall seed and ACC tourney champs. 2019 was amazing. 2020 was top 2 finish in ACC and probably 6 seed in tourney. 2021 was ACC regular season champs and then postseason derailed by COVID. This year obviously sucked but no one has more wins over Sweet 16 teams than we do
During those 7 years, we went to 6 Sweet 16’s, 2 final fours, runner up, B1G and BTT titles. It was our best stretch ever. Missed a title by two possessions. Like I said it’s really close.

Reactions: jhmossy
chair-sofa.gif

Me either man… me either. 😭
Nor, I.....as soon as I saw Syracuse as the 4, I knew our asses were toast(SW16). ANd then even worse, was IF we somehow got past SU(would have beaten the shit out of Marquette), well, there sat you guys......IU/UM FF game would have been epic/great-----but beating a team as good you dudes were---three times? Not so sure.

It was like the basketball Gods went----"Here IU.....best team in 450 years, oh BTW......we gonna set ya up with Syracuse, Marquette, then Michigan....."

Best team I'se seen at IU, personnel wise since 1993.

Reactions: ConqueringHero
Nor, I.....as soon as I saw Syracuse as the 4, I knew our asses were toast(SW16). ANd then even worse, was IF we somehow got past SU(would have beaten the shit out of Marquette), well, there sat you guys......IU/UM FF game would have been epic/great-----but beating a team as good you dudes were---three times? Not so sure.

It was like the basketball Gods went----"Here IU.....best team in 450 years, oh BTW......we gonna set ya up with Syracuse, Marquette, then Michigan....."

That was an incredible year of hoops in the B1G

Reactions: IUfanBorden
That was an incredible year of hoops in the B1G
One of the strongest I can recall in a long, long time...

7 bids-----4 in SW 16-----2 in the Elite 8---and of course Michigan playing for the Natty...

Seasn still makes me sick....That IU team had all the ****in check-marks, except one:

Head coach..

That was such an amazing run for Beilein.

R32: Shaka Smart’s VCU team when “Havoc defense” was allowed before freedom of movement rules.

S16: Bill Self’s Kansas.

E8: Billy Donovan’s Florida.

F4: Jim Bohem’s Syracuse.

NCG: Rick Pitino’s Louisivlle.

That is a gauntlet of different styles of basketball that Beilein had to prepare for on short notices.

That was such an amazing run for Beilein.

R32: Shaka Smart’s VCU team when “Havoc defense” was allowed before freedom of movement rules.

S16: Bill Self’s Kansas.

E8: Billy Donovan’s Florida.

F4: Jim Bohem’s Syracuse.

NCG: Rick Pitino’s Louisivlle.

That is a gauntlet of different styles of basketball that Beilein had to prepare for on short notices.
Boeheim on Sat........Pitino on Monday....

Yikes.

Reactions: GOO_HAM
Here is a great site for those of you with your minds on the transfer portal (and not St Peters or Villanova):

Click the bar on the left and select transfer portal.

Jaelin Llewellynn come on down
It's interesting that two of the possible biggest names at our biggest position of need have history with Purdue.

Llewellynn was set to go to Purdue and supposedly didn't fare well at an AAU event and his "people" convinced him to go Ivy League instead. Don't know for sure if that's true but that's what's been said

Nijel Pack isn't in the transfer portal. He declared for the NBA but is unlikely to get drafted. If he pulls his name out, he might transfer with Bruce Weber resigning. Pack is from Indy and liked Purdue but we had a scholarship crunch. And Weber is a former Purdue assistant.

No guarantees we get either guy but if we could land one of them, that might be the difference between Purdue being middle of the pack in the B1G next year and competing for a title (if Edey comes back).

Reactions: DenverBoiler
It's interesting that two of the possible biggest names at our biggest position of need have history with Purdue.

Llewellynn was set to go to Purdue and supposedly didn't fare well at an AAU event and his "people" convinced him to go Ivy League instead. Don't know for sure if that's true but that's what's been said

Nijel Pack isn't in the transfer portal. He declared for the NBA but is unlikely to get drafted. If he pulls his name out, he might transfer with Bruce Weber resigning. Pack is from Indy and liked Purdue but we had a scholarship crunch. And Weber is a former Purdue assistant.

No guarantees we get either guy but if we could land one of them, that might be the difference between Purdue being middle of the pack in the B1G next year and competing for a title (if Edey comes back).
I’m betting Pack ends up with you guys.

Has this Weber guy been anywhere else?

• Haha

Could end up with a Carrington/Holloman matchup for the 4A state championship. Both teams play in opposite semifinals tomorrow night.

Holloman's team started out slow but had played better of late. Their last two wins were buzzer beaters, one to get to State and the other to advance to tomorrow's semifinals.

Carrington's team is the #1 seed and has been dominant all season. They are 29-1, with the one loss to Totino Grace by 3, which they avenged with a 30 point beatdown in the second matchup. Totino is the favorite in 3A to win state.

Would be a fun matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT