ADVERTISEMENT

***Official B1G In-Season Thread***

IU guys, y’all see the commits we got in football? Most recent being Spegal from New Pal. Kid had over 10,000 yards in his career. That’s pretty good!

At what point is Michigan’s win over UNC diminished? Haven’t scored fiddy in back to back losses.

You sound like the MSU fans from last year talking about Michigan's win over Villanova.

Anyway, Carolina is looking like a 10 seed at the moment. They just got hustled again by a Virginia team that won't make the second week.

Looks like Michigan's win over Gonzaga got magnified tonight. Zags won at Washington....

Reactions: SNU0821
You sound like the MSU fans from last year talking about Michigan's win over Villanova.

Anyway, Carolina is looking like a 10 seed at the moment. They just got hustled again by a Virginia team that won't make the second week.

Looks like Michigan's win over Gonzaga got magnified tonight. Zags won at Washington....
Yep, the Zags win will have some staying power.

IU guys, y’all see the commits we got in football? Most recent being Spegal from New Pal. Kid had over 10,000 yards in his career. That’s pretty good!

I do wonder why IU’s class this year isn’t on par with what they did a year ago.

Spegal had a great career but only ended up with offers from Indiana State and Army. Will be interesting to see what kind of career he has.

I do wonder why IU’s class this year isn’t on par with what they did a year ago.

Spegal had a great career but only ended up with offers from Indiana State and Army. Will be interesting to see what kind of career he has.

that’s why he accepted a preferred walk on spot

IU had a great weekend on the recruiting trail, starting with Dylan Powell.

that’s why he accepted a preferred walk on spot

IU had a great weekend on the recruiting trail, starting with Dylan Powell.

Looks like it was a solid weekend. Still don’t think the overall class compares to a year ago though.

I see MSU needed 36 minutes from Cash in their win over Rutgers. I would have thought they could squeeze 10 out of Loyer, but I guess not.

I would assume MSU finds a grad transfer for next year with Hoggard. Loyer would be a good player at Grand Valley....

Sample size isn’t remotely large enough to dispel my assertion. I am using years worth of games.

At least according to Kenpom and his analysis, 3pt defense and opponent 3pt shooting % are minimally correlated.

In general, he concludes that playing a good 3pt defense team will result in less 3pt FGs taken/made, without much difference at all in percentage.

I see MSU needed 36 minutes from Cash in their win over Rutgers. I would have thought they could squeeze 10 out of Loyer, but I guess not.

I would assume MSU finds a grad transfer for next year with Hoggard. Loyer would be a good player at Grand Valley....
We will either get a grad transfer or we are going after this 5 star 6’5 combo guard from Canada Karime Mane. I feel like Foster will transfer. He won’t start at any point in his career. He’s not a viable option against Power 5 teams.

Rocket will play PG next year. Hopefully his shot comes back eventually

Ah, I figured Rocket was strictly a two moving forward.

I think we'll need him to play more PG, but he can also play off ball. He's probably the 2nd best ball handler on the team and a decent defender. At times this year, he plays PG while Cash runs off of screens etc

Not sure what Loyers role will be going forward. Maybe as an upper classman he gets better, but at this point he's a liability

Reactions: KisteK
Remember when people thought msu was going to run away with the conference? Ya, not going to happen.

I mean....exactly my point, brother. You guys are at a place where you compete for Big 10 titles---Which translates to competing for a national title. So I mean, why play Alabama in September---When the goal is to possibly them in Jan? Sure its great IF you win. But if you don't, it can be back breaking in terms of meeting your ultimate goal---Making the CFB playoff. This ain't college basketball where you need to build a strong resume, to get a good NCAA seed. You guys could play 3 cupcakes----Be 3-0. Go 8-1 in the Big 10, win the Big 10 title game, and damn near be a lock for the CFB. BUT...if you play and lose to ND or Bama---I mean, 8-1 in the Big 10, with a Big 10 title game win is getting you to the Rose Bowl---Not the CFB.

Bama isn’t going to cost you a spot. Losing in the B1G will regardless of what you do in non con. I’d rather play one decent non con opponent than three cupcakes. Gotta beat those types to take the next step.

We will either get a grad transfer or we are going after this 5 star 6’5 combo guard from Canada Karime Mane. I feel like Foster will transfer. He won’t start at any point in his career. He’s not a viable option against Power 5 teams.

Don’t you dare speak ill of lil lick 2.0. He should play in every game.

Reactions: northeastspartan
At what point is Michigan’s win over UNC diminished? Haven’t scored fiddy in back to back losses.

A win is still a lot better than losing to them. In the end I think they will be a quad one win come tournament time

A win is still a lot better than losing to them. In the end I think they will be a quad one win come tournament time

Teams lose throughout the season. Some wins end up looking worse. It’s the nature of the game. It was a weird post.

Why’d you ignore my input on 3pt defense? You cite Kenpom sometimes so I thought you’d appreciate his take on it.
I recall his take. I went back and looked and it was from 2012 and I think the dynamic has changed with the focus on 3P shooting by teams now. I'd love it if he updated that exercise.

He also said there is a correlation, just not as strong as focusing on 3P avoidance. I believe the correlation would be stronger today as many teams have made 3P shooting an integral part of their offense.

I recall his take. I went back and looked and it was from 2012 and I think the dynamic has changed with the focus on 3P shooting by teams now. I'd love it if he updated that exercise.

He also said there is a correlation, just not as strong as focusing on 3P avoidance. I believe the correlation would be stronger today as many teams have made 3P shooting an integral part of their offense.

I think he said the difference between the best and worst “3pt defense” teams in the country was so small (in terms of percentages) is so small that is basically insignificant.

His point is that if the 3pt line is defended the offense is more likely to pass or drive than shoot a contested 3. If team A gives up 2 of 4 from three but team B gives up 10 of 25 from three, there’s a decent chance team A had better “3pt defense” despite percentages.

I’m not sure how exactly that relates to offensive 3pt % against good defense but I’m sure the inverse makes sense too. I see your point about teams that are gonna chuck regardless of pressure, though.

Feeling like an entirely new man now that I'm done w/ that shitty IU avatar.

giphy.gif

Exactly SOS means shit you either have it or you don’t. This Purdue has been more consistent in not being a great 3 point team
Yeah the offense is still a big concern. We're currently going through some pretty significant lineup changes, so hopefully that helps us out. It's easy to simply look at the shooting percentage, but to me, the bigger issue is actually generating good looks. We did that against UVA, and we haven't done it consistently otherwise. It looks like the Hunter-Proctor-Sasha-Williams-Haarms lineup is our best offensively, as those guys are all our most natural scorers.

Painter played Eastern at the 4 for the last 3-4 minutes yesterday, and I hope that continues a bit considering (a) he's useless at PG right now but is still an extremely impactful defender (b) we're getting absolutely nothing from the 4 right now, and Wheeler and Boudreaux do not help our ball movement in the slightest (c) we gotta maximize the time Sasha/Hunter/Proctor play together.

Reactions: klize17
Exactly SOS means shit you either have it or you don’t. This Purdue has been more consistent in not being a great 3 point team
I agree Purdue has been mediocre shooting the three but disagree SOS has nothing to do with that stat. In general raw stats will improve when you play a weaker team. The fact that Purdue’s 3% doesn’t follow that trend is probably an outlier. Regardless I still believe Purdue success depends on an above average volume of threes taken as it Is required to open up the middle.

It also appears that Eastern’s obvious lack of offense is pushing him out of the rotation - I don’t see his D as enough of a plus to warrant significant PT.

I agree Purdue has been mediocre shooting the three but disagree SOS has nothing to do with that stat. In general raw stats will improve when you play a weaker team. The fact that Purdue’s 3% doesn’t follow that trend is probably an outlier. Regardless I still believe Purdue success depends on an above average volume of threes taken as it Is required to open up the middle.

It also appears that Eastern’s obvious lack of offense is pushing him out of the rotation - I don’t see his D as enough of a plus to warrant significant PT.

You guys cite Kenpom a lot and Kenpom says:

-You shoot more open threes against bad defenses than good defenses.

-The percentage you shoot on open threes isn’t factored by opponent strength

-A good defense being able to defend the 3pt line will make players go to options B or C (pass, drive) rather than shoot a contested 3pt FG.

He's also not rebounding like he has in the past. Not sure if I've ever seen a guy get older and bigger...and somehow lose his physical edge. Something weird is going on there.

Reactions: KisteK and pig1960
He's also not rebounding like he has in the past. Not sure if I've ever seen a guy get older and bigger...and somehow lose his physical edge. Something weird is going on there.
bigger is not going to = better. sometimes to much can and does affect their mobility.

ADVERTISEMENT