ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

How is Saying Purdue has had a lot of close games a dumb take?
The take was that Purdue really isn’t better than the other big ten teams because they’ve won a few close games (only 2 of which were ever in jeopardy anyway) UM & Maryland may have been close on scoreboard but Purdue was never that close to actually losing, especially the UM game.

Meanwhile just ignoring the fact that a team like IU has multiple double digit losses and also skated by in games like @ Minny when Minny had half their team and @Deathclutch even stopped by to troll IU.

One is not like the other & it’s not even close.

• Love
Reactions: B1G_Fan
Meh......Purdue has won a lot of close games----ANd hey, that is what good teams do. But its not like they are just running over everyone...

OT @ Nebraska...
Late 3 vs OSU: 71-69
SHot at 2.1 sec vs MSU: 64-63
58-55 at home vs MD(Terps missed game tying three..

Purdue could easily have 5 losses....And , well, they could also be easily unbeaten.

Its a lot closer than folk think....And that is why I think the league is better than its be given credit for....Purdue is ranked #1----yet 4 of their 10 wins are by 3 points or less.

The take was that Purdue really isn’t better than the other big ten teams because they’ve won a few close games (only 2 of which were ever in jeopardy anyway) UM & Maryland may have been close on scoreboard but Purdue was never that close to actually losing, especially the UM game.

Meanwhile just ignoring the fact that a team like IU has multiple double digit losses and also skated by in games like @ Minny when Minny had half their team and @Deathclutch even stopped by to troll IU.

One is not like the other & it’s not even close.
Show me where he said Purdue isn't really better than the other B1G teams.

Show me where he said Purdue isn't really better than the other B1G teams.
Borden responded to @Noahtogo24 ‘s post saying

Purdue

Everyone else cept Sota

Sota.

And Borden did his “meh” response, implying Purdue actually isn’t heads and shoulders above the rest of the league.

If you couldn’t gather it from that bud, we need to get you set up on some hooked-on-reading comprehension.

Purdue

Everyone else cept Sota

Sota.

And Borden did his “meh” response, implying Purdue actually isn’t heads and shoulders above the rest of the league.

If you couldn’t gather it from that bud, we need to get you set up on some hooked-on-reading comprehension.
Yeah, that's how I read the post also- but hey, remember IU can maybe prove people wrong tomorrow vs Purdue.

Reactions: boilerzz

Purdue

Everyone else cept Sota

Sota.

"It's a lot closer than folks think" = "Purdue isn't really better than the rest of the B1G". I'm honestly worried for you people.

Reactions: HoosierstuckinIowa
Yeah, that's how I read the post also- but hey, remember IU can maybe prove people wrong tomorrow vs Purdue.
I think Purdue can lose and it really not change that fact. I’d be shocked if Purdue went undefeated on the road in big ten play (which they are thus far). No shame in losing to your rival at Bloomington to a formidable team. Obviously hope they don’t but should be fun to watch!

Reactions: boilerzz
"It's a lot closer than folks think" = "Purdue isn't really better than the rest of the B1G". I'm honestly worried for you people.
giphy.gif

Can't you say that about every team but less so with Purdue than others? This would seem to indicate as such.

Scoring Margin
IndexTeamGOffenseDefenseMargin
1Purdue1271.161.010.1
2Michigan1272.567.35.3
3Illinois1169.164.54.5
4Indiana1172.269.13.1
5Rutgers1267.364.62.8
6Iowa1178.476.42.0
7Michigan State1165.865.30.5
8Northwestern1170.070.00.0
9Penn State1168.769.1-0.4
10Maryland1164.865.3-0.5
11Ohio State1168.770.2-1.5
12Wisconsin1161.965.9-4.0
13Nebraska1262.172.2-10.1
14Minnesota1162.074.6-12.6

Rutgers isn’t correct. We’ve only played 11 B1G games and are +54 in those games

I know it hurts you to say Purdue has been the best team thus far but this is just such a silly way to look at things. Yes, Purdue played poorly vs MD but literally still led the entire game. Nebraska tied Purdue on 3 separate occasions (including going into OT) but Purdue led the entire rest of the game. Nebraska never had a lead. & yes Purdue won 2 coin flip games @MSU & @OSU and lost a coin flip against Rutgers at home.

Those are the worst big ten games Purdue has played this season. Shall we look at the worst games IU has played this season? Like, what are you arguing here?
LikeI am "arguing" facts......Purdue is really good. And I said that. Not sure why someof you get so emotional, or butt hurt----Just because I am not praising PU as a juggernaut, does not mean I don't think they are very good.

Because they are.

BUT......Its not like they have ran roughshed through the league. You guys easily could have 3 losses--Shot misses vs OSU, or MSU. But you don't. Guys made baskets. Thats what good teams do, and Purdue is good. That doesn't dismiss the FACT, that versus OSU, MSU, MD and NB, those were games that could have went the other way..

As for IU andtheir bad games? Its irrelevant to the point. So not sure why you feel the need to bring that up...Well actually I do.

Good luck today.

At this point, it's not close.

Purdue's bad games - which you want to hold against it - have been a 1 pt loss to Rutgers and some close wins.

When all the other teams in the Big Ten have bad games, they result in bad double digit losses. IU, Illinois, MSU, Rutgers, Iowa, Northwestern, etc. all have multiple instances of this.

At this point, Purdue just has a floor that's so much higher than all the other Big Ten teams. And that's why there's a big separation between first and second place.
Just for shits and giggles----Lets say those shots vs OSU/MSU, miss-----Is their still still some HUGE separation?

Purdue is the best team in the league. No argument. But its closer than, well any Purdue fan will admit.

Also, pretty obvious Purdue is probably gonna win the league...Which begs the question...

Is the Big 10 still a shitty conference this year? I just know when IU was pegged as the favorite, the consensus was----Only b/c the league was down, andnot very good.

Just for shits and giggles----Lets say those shots vs OSU/MSU, miss-----Is their still still some HUGE separation?

Purdue is the best team in the league. No argument. But its closer than, well any Purdue fan will admit.

Also, pretty obvious Purdue is probably gonna win the league...Which begs the question...

Is the Big 10 still a shitty conference this year? I just know when IU was pegged as the favorite, the consensus was----Only b/c the league was down, andnot very good.
Have to ask - did Purdue fans think this league was down going into the season ?

@IUBtown ---

Wont have to wrry about "hot takes" today my friend. I will be in Lexington. Wife brother gave us tickets to UK/Florida. She was like---"That was nice of my brother...."

Me?----Naaah. Shit was planned. He knew IU/Purdue played today. He got me good.

I didn't either....I just know the consensus was the B10 wasn't very good.....Then it was....Then it wasn't...
The Big Ten had an objectively good non-conference performance overall and then started falling out of the polls when we all started beating each other up. Honestly, I’d say we are a good conference and not as “down” as people say - at least not any more than college hoops is as a whole.

Pretty simple----Cannot let Purdue "eat from both tables."---Edey is gonna get his.

1. I would not double Edey.

2. Run Purdue off the 3 point line---DO NOT HELP.

3. Try and post up Smith/Loyer. Maybe get some early fouls. JHS is 6'6"..Trey 6'4"...Bates 6'5". Smith/Loyer are both 6-foot.

Edey is the guy, But Smith/Loyer stir the drink. Get them rattled, or foul treouble, and it changes the game. Neither of those guards have played in an environment that they'll experience today. Could it rattle them? Dunno. Possible.

I expect a very tight game. Cannot worry about "stopping Edey"---Ain't gonna happen. Worry about what yourself. If IU hits from three/takes care of the ball, I like our chances.

X factor guys today----Jenkins for Purdue....Bates for IU.

Reactions: IUBtown
Pretty simple----Cannot let Purdue "eat from both tables."---Edey is gonna get his.

1. I would not double Edey.

2. Run Purdue off the 3 point line---DO NOT HELP.

3. Try and post up Smith/Loyer. Maybe get some early fouls. JHS is 6'6"..Trey 6'4"...Bates 6'5". Smith/Loyer are both 6-foot.

Edey is the guy, But Smith/Loyer stir the drink. Get them rattled, or foul treouble, and it changes the game. Neither of those guards have played in an environment that they'll experience today. Could it rattle them? Dunno. Possible.

I expect a very tight game. Cannot worry about "stopping Edey"---Ain't gonna happen. Worry about what yourself. If IU hits from three/takes care of the ball, I like our chances.

X factor guys today----Jenkins for Purdue....Bates for IU.
I agree you don't double Edey just switch up defenders. If I was Purdue I'd definitely double TJD.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

Purdue

Everyone else cept Sota

Sota.

Not being head and shoulders better, does not equal not being better, bro...

I have said it a million fukin times----Purdue is the BEST team in the B10. I just don't think the separation, i.e. HEAD AND SHOULDERS, is that big.

Its not rocket algebra....

ADVERTISEMENT