ADVERTISEMENT

****Official B1G In-Season Thread****

Indiana's next 4 games
@Rutgers
Nebraska
Arizona (neutral)
@Kansas

Not bad for December
That’s a good stretch, I love a good pre-NYE schedule … good for the sport. Illinois has a pretty brutal rest of December, but I’m pumped for it:

at #22 Maryland
vs. #2 Texas (MSG in New York)
vs. Penn State
vs. Missouri (Braggin’ Rights in St. Louis)

Also, I know they haven’t really played anyone, but I saw Mizzou is 8-0….?! Regardless of schedule, I don’t think Cuonzo would be undefeated. 😂 I’m all for it, though, Braggin’ Rights is an awesome atmosphere always, but it’s way better when Mizzou isn’t total shit.

Maryland raises you with

Illinois
@Wisky
Tennessee (neutral)
UCLA

chuckles-im-in-danger.gif

Indiiana
@Ohio State
Seton Hall
Wake Forest

We really need Mulcahy back

Is there any insight on when he’ll be back? Rephrased, do I need to worry about his profoundly annoying ass on Saturday?

Pikiell has played both the McConnell and Mulcahy injuries close to the vest. I think most were surprised when Caleb returned against CCSU. So, in short I have no idea.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24
I was looking back at when the Big Ten had good years in the NCAA Tournament vs. disappointing years, and I thought I would share here. It's kind of interesting that in a lot of years when we were supposedly "down," we actually did pretty well - like 2005 when we had one team in the NC Game, two teams in the Final Four and three teams in the Elite Eight. I decided to start the year after Sparty was last able to cut down the nets (sorry @bMORE607, we wish you had been part of the crew in '02) and look at Sweet Sixteen and better:

2001: (1) Michigan State in the Final Four; (1) Illinois in the Elite Eight; (7) Penn State in the Sweet Sixteen
2002: (5) Indiana in the NC Game; (4) Illinois in the Sweet Sixteen
2003: (7) Michigan State in the Elite Eight; (5) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2004: (5) Illinois in the Sweet Sixteen
2005: (1) Illinois in the NC Game; (5) Michigan State in the Final Four; (6) Wisconsin in the Elite Eight
2006: None
2007: (1) Ohio State in the NC Game
2008: (3) Wisconsin and (5) Michigan State in the Sweet Sixteen
2009: (2) Michigan State in the NC Game; (5) Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen
2010: (5) Michigan State in the Final Four; (2) Ohio State and (4) Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen
2011: (1) Ohio State and (4) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2012: (2) Ohio State in the Final Four; (1) Michigan State, (4) Indiana and (4) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2013: (4) Michigan in the NC Game; (2) Ohio State in the Elite Eight; (1) Indiana and (3) Michigan State in the Sweet Sixteen
2014: (2) Wisconsin in the Final Four; (2) Michigan and (4) Michigan State in the Elite Eight
2015: (1) Wisconsin in the NC Game; (7) Michigan State in the Final Four
2016: (5) Maryland, (5) Indiana and (7) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2017: (4) Purdue, (7) Michigan and (8) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2018: (3) Michigan in the NC Game; (2) Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen
2019: (2) Michigan State in the Final Four; (3) Purdue in the Elite Eight; (2) Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen
2020: N/A due to COVID-19
2021: (1) Michigan in the Elite Eight
2022: (3) Purdue and (11) Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen

Just for fun, but it kind of jives with my belief that the cancelled Tournament in the COVID year really messed with people's perception of time ... the Big Ten has gone TWO Tournaments since it had a team in the Final Four, two in the Elite Eight and three in the Sweet Sixteen. Not saying we don't need to show up better in March this year, but that narrative of the Big Ten "always choking" seems to have more to do with 2019 seeming like an eternity ago rather than a giant pile of evidence.

Reactions: bMORE607
I was looking back at when the Big Ten had good years in the NCAA Tournament vs. disappointing years, and I thought I would share here. It's kind of interesting that in a lot of years when we were supposedly "down," we actually did pretty well - like 2005 when we had one team in the NC Game, two teams in the Final Four and three teams in the Elite Eight. I decided to start the year after Sparty was last able to cut down the nets (sorry @bMORE607, we wish you had been part of the crew in '02) and look at Sweet Sixteen and better:

2001: (1) Michigan State in the Final Four; (1) Illinois in the Elite Eight; (7) Penn State in the Sweet Sixteen
2005: (1) Illinois in the NC Game; (5) Michigan State in the Final Four; (6) Wisconsin in the Elite Eight
2010: (5) Michigan State in the Final Four; (2) Ohio State and (4) Purdue in the Sweet Sixteen
2012: (2) Ohio State in the Final Four; (1) Michigan State, (4) Indiana and (4) Wisconsin in the Sweet Sixteen
2013: (4) Michigan in the NC Game; (2) Ohio State in the Elite Eight; (1) Indiana and (3) Michigan State in the Sweet Sixteen
2014: (2) Wisconsin in the Final Four; (2) Michigan and (4) Michigan State in the Elite Eight
2019: (2) Michigan State in the Final Four; (3) Purdue in the Elite Eight; (2) Michigan in the Sweet Sixteen

Just for fun, but it kind of jives with my belief that the cancelled Tournament in the COVID year really messed with people's perception of time ... the Big Ten has gone TWO Tournaments since it had a team in the Final Four, two in the Elite Eight and three in the Sweet Sixteen. Not saying we don't need to show up better in March this year, but that narrative of the Big Ten "always choking" seems to have more to do with 2019 seeming like an eternity ago rather than a giant pile of evidence.

Shut up bitch

Damn. The Illini had a stretch of 5 years where they went E8, S16, -, S16, NCG and then nothing since 2005.

And then there is Iowa....and NW....and Rutgers....and Minnesota....and Nebraska. Oy vey!

MSU was ROLLING going into that tournament. That was the best Izzo team in a long time. Brutal having Cassius Winston's career cut short like that.

Reactions: Ingersol
MSU was ROLLING going into that tournament. That was the best Izzo team in a long time. Brutal having Cassius Winston's career cut short like that.
Feels like that team was really reaching their expectations late. Struggled some mid season but feels like everyone kind of figured it out. 4 straight ranked wins, none super close. You can’t convince me anyone out there was absolutely better than us in March.

Last edited:
Feels like that team was really reaching their expectations late. Struggled some mid season but feels like everyone kind of figured it out. 4 straight ranked wins, all by double digits. You can’t convince me anyone out there was absolutely better than us in March.
Haven’t you seen the 100 Kansas threads saying they were the best that year 😛

Feels like that team was really reaching their expectations late. Struggled some mid season but feels like everyone kind of figured it out. 4 straight ranked wins, all by double digits. You can’t convince me anyone out there was absolutely better than us in March.

MSU

088-FD349-DC7-F-4-F35-B2-F2-BEE7-B201-FFAD.jpg

Kansas

80877792-9-F83-4-BE5-A350-ECE339-DC050-F.jpg

^ For a while in the early Underwood years, we had perfected the Fake Comeback™️ … that 69-70 loss vs. MSU was one of the best ones. I think we were down 20+ in the second half, Ayo missed a runner at the buzzer and got hurt on the same play. Double heartbreak, lol.

That 29 point beatdown we put on Sparty that year (when we weren't very good) was one of the craziest results I've ever seen in a Purdue game. Winston was one TO short of a double-double.

Sometimes it be like that. Now I’m trying to think of the craziest (positive) result I’ve seen in a Michigan game. I think our 30 point win in the 8/9 game of the NCAAT over Tennessee would be my pick.

Reading some opposing fans say “you have to make Edey go left” or “let Edey get his and pressure everyone else” or “get Edey in foul trouble early”

all remind me of what idiots would say about playing Tom Brady in his prime. “Get pressure without having to blitz.” Like yeah, no shit Sherlock. Easier said than done on all accounts.

I mean yeah we wouldn’t have gotten a 1 seed and had our ups and downs, but I stand by what I said, we were fvcking unbelievable to end the year.

Kansas won 18 straight.

MSU went 6-4 in March and February. And your wins weren’t all by double digits like you said.

Reading some opposing fans say “you have to make Edey go left” or “let Edey get his and pressure everyone else” or “get Edey in foul trouble early”

all remind me of what idiots would say about playing Tom Brady in his prime. “Get pressure without having to blitz.” Like yeah, no shit Sherlock. Easier said than done on all accounts.
Couple eye pokes will bring that ****er to his knees. If that doesn’t work a swift punch to the nuts should do it.

Kansas won 18 straight.

MSU went 6-4 in March and February. And your wins weren’t all by double digits like you said.
I’m not saying MSU was the title favorite but we were really hot and I was excited for March Madness. I agree Kansas was better, we just got hot at the right time, to end the year. 4 straight ranked wins, all by 8* or more, my bad.

I’m not really interested in arguing the details of this, it’s just my opinion. It was a good, hot, big ten championship winning team and I was disappointed march madness got canceled

Reactions: northeastspartan
I’m not saying MSU was the title favorite but we were really hot and I was excited for March Madness. I agree Kansas was better, we just got hot at the right time, to end the year. 4 straight ranked wins, all by 8* or more, my bad.

I’m not really interested in arguing the details of this, it’s just my opinion. It was a good, hot, big ten championship winning team and I was disappointed march madness got canceled

You need Maryland, Iowa, Penn State, and Ohio State. Cool. Kansas won 18 straight.

ADVERTISEMENT