ADVERTISEMENT

*****Official B1G In Season Thread*****

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree with you. Last nights game doesn’t really change my opinion of IU’s upside. They won games against ranked opponents under Archie too (obviously never Purdue but still), but it’s a wildly inconsistent group of players with not a ton of offensive aptitude. The one solace I take is that it’s at home, and they’re less susceptible to droughts while at home.

Regardless, I agree with you it’s not a bad loss if they do lose. UM literally can’t fall in the net far enough to make it a tier 3 loss.
I haven't watched IU much, but this seems a bit different than Archie's teams. It seemed like Archie's teams could get up for a random game and shoot lights out or something and win, but then they would totally lay an egg on the road, doing all of this with pretty good talent. This IU team seems a lot tougher, specifically on defense.

Like I said, I haven't looked at analytics or anything, but that is my casual perception.

Have to give Indiana credit. Their guards showed up last night. If they get more consistent production from those guys, they’re a good team.

I haven't watched IU much, but this seems a bit different than Archie's teams. It seemed like Archie's teams could get up for a random game and shoot lights out or something and win, but then they would totally lay an egg on the road, doing all of this with pretty good talent. This IU team seems a lot tougher, specifically on defense.

Like I said, I haven't looked at analytics or anything, but that is my casual perception.
This team is probably less dysfunctional (they don’t go through massive droughts), but the point remains they only have one win on the road and its Nebraska. They’re still pretty reliant on mucking up the game in order to win. I think they’re moving in the right direction, and last night is indicative of that. But I think it’s going to be some of two steps forward, one step back.

My patience for them has just worn really thin the last decade, so I’m often more critical of them than other fans.

Reactions: IUBtown
This team is probably less dysfunctional (they don’t go through massive droughts), but the point remains they only have one win on the road and its Nebraska. They’re still pretty reliant on mucking up the game in order to win. I think they’re moving in the right direction, and last night is indicative of that. But I think it’s going to be some of two steps forward, one step back.

My patience for them has just worn really thin the last decade, so I’m often more critical of them than other fans.
I think that's a reasonable take. I'm certainly not trying to diminish what IU did (your D was excellent in the first half and got us rattled) but I felt like last night was more about Purdue losing the game. If we get mediocre games from Stefanovic or Trevion and even shot 55% from the line, we likely win. I think both teams can take issue with some of the substitutions as well.

I think that's a reasonable take. I'm certainly not trying to diminish what IU did (your D was excellent in the first half and got us rattled) but I felt like last night was more about Purdue losing the game. If we get mediocre games from Stefanovic or Trevion and even shot 55% from the line, we likely win. I think both teams can take issue with some of the substitutions as well.
Not going to disagree but will add IU only had 3 turnovers (which is a miracle) and had 9 steals. That played just as much of a role as anything. JMHO

Wow we’ve been Indiana’s daddy for a few years. 7 straight wins and the average margin of victory is 18 points

Not going to disagree but will add IU only had 3 turnovers (which is a miracle) and had 9 steals. That played just as much of a role as anything. JMHO
Yeah, we don't force many TOs but that's crazy....especially with IU's penchant for coughing it up.

Probably on Kofi for being in his way…
happy-gilmore-adam-sandler.gif

Most Illini fans weren’t mad Kofi got fouls when he did, they were mad that Edey didn’t get called for these.

The one that left Kofi stunned should’ve been a flagrant under the new rules, IMO
I don't know if I'd call any flagrant, but he definitely cleared space with elbows to a guy's face. It's a reviewable offense and offensive foul at least.

I don't know if I'd call any flagrant, but he definitely cleared space with elbows to a guy's face. It's a reviewable offense and offensive foul at least.
I could be wrong but I didn’t think you could add common fouls on replay, just Flagrant or nothing.

I could be wrong but I didn’t think you could add common fouls on replay, just Flagrant or nothing.
I was just saying moving a guy with an elbow to the face is foul, and it should also be reviewed.

Agreed, just not sure what the protocol is if the original call is missed.
If reviewed it would have to either be deemed a no call or a flagrant. I believe under the new rules contact to the face is a Flagrant 1 regardless if it is in the act or not of a basketball play.

Per the rule book. "A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders". This offense includes the former "intentional foul" of fouling an opposing player to prevent an easy breakaway score. In women's basketball only, the unsportsmanlike foul also includes contact dead-ball technical fouls. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul."

If reviewed it would have to either be deemed a no call or a flagrant. I believe under the new rules contact to the face is a Flagrant 1 regardless if it is in the act or not of a basketball play.

Per the rule book. "A flagrant 1 foul (men's) or unsportsmanlike foul (women's) involves excessive or severe contact during a live ball, including especially when a player "swings an elbow and makes illegal, non-excessive contact with an opponent above the shoulders". This offense includes the former "intentional foul" of fouling an opposing player to prevent an easy breakaway score. In women's basketball only, the unsportsmanlike foul also includes contact dead-ball technical fouls. The penalty for a flagrant 1 or unsportsmanlike foul is two free throws and a throw-in for the opposing team at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul."
That was my understanding of the rule.

Should’ve been a F1.

If those calls weren’t on Edey, Purdue would’ve had chances to score on a couple of days extra possessions.

It isn’t that deep
Edey only had 3 fouls. Our starting 4 and 5, plus backup 5 had 15. I don't remember what they called on Edey. I also don't give a shit. We won.

• Haha
Reactions: 1016CC0503
IUs defense in the first half and rob won the game. There's some other little things that helped but those are the two. Purdue got rattled and needed Ivey to bring them back in it during the 2nd half. Not a single player stood out for them, maybe Gillis, and that's not typical for this Purdue team with as many weapons as they have.

IUs defense in the first half and rob won the game. There's some other little things that helped but those are the two. Purdue got rattled and needed Ivey to bring them back in it during the 2nd half. Not a single player stood out for them, maybe Gillis, and that's not typical for this Purdue team with as many weapons as they have.

Ivey didn’t stand out? I feel like last night was just one of those weird games that you just kind of shake your head and move on.

Reactions: snowsquirrel11
3 losses in the past two years because our AA has a concussion. Can we wear helmets?

Ivey didn’t stand out? I feel like last night was just one of those weird games that you just kind of shake your head and move on.
It meant to read as other than Ivey of course. You just usually don't see them rely on one guy, that's not their offense.

Last edited:
Reactions: boiler1987
Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT