ADVERTISEMENT

Official 2022 Transfer Portal Thread

Mayer to Illinois. Bit of a surprise there as UNC was always the talk with Mayer. UNC didn’t have a scholarship available though so probably why he went another route.

Mayer to Illinois. Bit of a surprise there as UNC was always the talk with Mayer. UNC didn’t have a scholarship available though so probably why he went another route.
Could have just liked Illinois…? Haha. For real, though, definitely thought he was UNC bound. Huge get for Illinois, and what a reload by Underwood and staff. Top 10 class and Mayer/Shannon from the portal.

Could have just liked Illinois…? Haha. For real, though, definitely thought he was UNC bound. Huge get for Illinois, and what a reload by Underwood and staff. Top 10 class and Mayer/Shannon from the portal.

My bad. Didn’t mean to make it sound like Illinois is a bad choice. Just meant the scholarship issue probably removed UNC from any consideration.

My bad. Didn’t mean to make it sound like Illinois is a bad choice. Just meant the scholarship issue probably removed UNC from any consideration.
No, I mean we are a proud program, but we don’t expect to out-recruit the Blue Bloods for an out of state target, haha. This was a pleasant surprise!!

UNC had a 'ship available since Walton left.

I like Mayer but was ok either way. I'm actually not as crazy about Puff as some but am really high on Styles. Regardless, Love, Davis, and Bacot (and Leaky on D) are going to drive them next year. Just need the pieces around them to not suck and they should be solid. They will be overrated to start IMO but will be a pretty good, but not great, team most of the year.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Really thought Mayer was UNC bound. I think they're still going after Pete Nance pretty hard. He would be a bigger get than Mayer, IMO.

I'll post my top 150 transfers + top 25 transfer recruiting classes sometime in the month of June. Mostly waiting on the decisions of some of the big fish still available... Isiaih Mosley, Efe Abogi, Patrick Baldwin, AJ Green, Mohamed Gueye, Pete Nance, Courtney Ramey, Malachi Smith, Emoni Bates, Keion Brooks

Was disappointed to see Josh Minott stay in the draft. I'm sure he'll be drafted, just thought he could have had a sensational sophomore season.

Anyone hear anything on Ramey and Malachi Smith? What are the schools involved

Malachi Smith likely ends up at Gonzaga. Odds go up significantly if Strawther stays in the draft.

A lot of teams still in play for Ramey. I could see Illinois being a serious player. But, kind of feel like he wants to be the top dog. Might lean towards Kansas State.

Malachi Smith likely ends up at Gonzaga. Odds go up significantly if Strawther stays in the draft.

A lot of teams still in play for Ramey. I could see Illinois being a serious player. But, kind of feel like he wants to be the top dog. Might lean towards Kansas State.
Dam was really hoping we could get malachi smith at Louisville.

We only have one real guard, el ellis, on the roster, im starting to get antsy. Hopefully we add Bates in June but still we will need at least 2 more guards imo assuming bates even plays 2g and not SF

Reactions: dukedevilz
Dam was really hoping we could get malachi smith at Louisville.

We only have one real guard, el ellis, on the roster, im starting to get antsy. Hopefully we add Bates in June but still we will need at least 2 more guards imo assuming bates even plays 2g and not SF

Pretty good odds that you guys start El Ellis alongside Emoni Bates and Kamari Lands. Guess you mostly need depth at this point.

I assume you guys aren't in contention for landing AJ Green, Isiaih Mosley, or Courtney Ramey. After that, the number of quality uncommitted transfers is pretty slim. Of the players I'm considering for my top 150 transfer rankings (not all of these guys will make the cut), the only uncommitted guards I have on my list are Emmanuel Akot (Boise State), David Jenkins (Utah), Xavier Pinson (LSU), Justin Powell (Tennessee), Cedric Henderson (Campbell), Javohn Garcia (UMass), and Desi Sills (Arkansas State). You guys already snagged Huntley-Hatfield, so Powell might be a sensible target.

Joey Baker (Duke) and Kerwin Walton (UNC) aren't going to be elite transfers, but could provide decent minutes off the bench. I'm sure there are a plethora of guys like that. And there's no chance of DJ Wagner reclassifying, right?

Pretty good odds that you guys start El Ellis alongside Emoni Bates and Kamari Lands. Guess you mostly need depth at this point.

I assume you guys aren't in contention for landing AJ Green, Isiaih Mosley, or Courtney Ramey. After that, the number of quality uncommitted transfers is pretty slim. Of the players I'm considering for my top 150 transfer rankings (not all of these guys will make the cut), the only uncommitted guards I have on my list are Emmanuel Akot (Boise State), David Jenkins (Utah), Xavier Pinson (LSU), Justin Powell (Tennessee), Cedric Henderson (Campbell), Javohn Garcia (UMass), and Desi Sills (Arkansas State). You guys already snagged Huntley-Hatfield, so Powell might be a sensible target.

Joey Baker (Duke) and Kerwin Walton (UNC) aren't going to be elite transfers, but could provide decent minutes off the bench. I'm sure there are a plethora of guys like that. And there's no chance of DJ Wagner reclassifying, right?
I'm hearing Bates and UL has cooled off. tifwiw Hearing a smaller school. Also don't count out Seton Hall. Word on the streets is he's going to develop instead of being thrusted into the spotlight again.

*Family is dealing with humility. Goal is still the NBA, but not the fast track anymore.

Last edited:

I would love to see your transfer list from last year, and have discussion on under vs over achievers.

To be clear it would not be an assessment of your rankings, but completely focused on the players with the understanding your rankings were solid.

I would love to see your transfer list from last year, and have discussion on under vs over achievers.

To be clear it would not be an assessment of your rankings, but completely focused on the players with the understanding your rankings were solid.

Looking back on it now, it's pretty clear to see that it was very flawed. But, it will always be flawed. I'm not trying to measure how good players were in the previous season; I'm not measuring pro potential; I'm trying to project who will have the biggest impact on the upcoming season. Trying to gauge how players that transfer up is the most challenging element, IMO.

A lot of misses on my end, but at least Walker Kessler at #2 looks pretty solid.

DUKEDEVILZ 2021-2022 TRANSFER RANKINGS

RANKPLAYER
1​
Remy Martin, Kansas (Arizona State)
2​
Walker Kessler, Auburn (North Carolina)
3​
Justin Powell, Tennessee (Auburn)
4​
Quincy Guerrier, Oregon (Syracuse)
5​
Timmy Allen, Texas (Utah)
6​
Qudus Wahab, Maryland (Georgetown)
7​
Matt Bradley, San Diego State (California)
8​
Tre Mitchell, Texas (Massachusetts)
9​
Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky (West Virginia)
10​
Dylan Disu, Texas (Vanderbilt)
11​
James Akinjo, Baylor (Arizona)
12​
Garrison Brooks, Mississippi State (North Carolina)
13​
Kellan Grady, Kentucky (Davidson)
14​
Jacob Young, Oregon (Rutgers)
15​
Xavier Johnson, Indiana (Pittsburgh)
16​
Marreon Jackson, Arizona State (Toledo)
17​
DeVante Jones, Michigan (Coastal Carolina)
18​
Marcus Bagley, Undecided (Arizona State)
19​
Myreon Jones, Florida (Penn State)
20​
Earl Timberlake, Memphis (Miami)
21​
Myles Johnson, UCLA (Rutgers)
22​
Stanley Umude, Arkansas (South Dakota)
23​
Caleb Mills, Florida State (Houston)
24​
Kadary Richmond, Seton Hall (Syracuse)
25​
De'Vion Harmon, Oregon (Oklahoma)
26​
Liam Robbins, Vanderbilt (Minnesota)
27​
Rasir Bolton, Gonzaga (Iowa State)
28​
Tanner Groves, Oklahoma (Eastern Washington)
29​
Au'Diese Toney, Arkansas (Pittsburgh)
30​
Christian Bishop, Texas (Creighton)
31​
Paul Atkinson, Notre Dame (Yale)
32​
Adam Miller, LSU (Illinois)
33​
Emanuel Miller, TCU (Texas A&M)
34​
KD Johnson, Auburn (Georgia)
35​
Jayden Gardner, Virginia (East Carolina)
36​
Kyler Edwards, Houston (Texas Tech)
37​
Marcus Williams, Texas A&M (Wyoming)
38​
Jeriah Horne, Tulsa (Colorado)
39​
Brady Manek, North Carolina (Oklahoma)
40​
Armaan Franklin, Virginia (Indiana)
41​
Tyson Walker, Michigan State (Northeastern)
42​
Nimari Burnett, Alabama (Texas Tech)
43​
Xavier Pinson, LSU (Missouri)
44​
Toumani Camara, Dayton (Georgia)
45​
Pelle Larsson, Arizona (Utah)
46​
Sahvir Wheeler, Kentucky (Georgia)
47​
Moussa Cisse, Oklahoma State (Memphis)
48​
Joseph Yesufu, Kansas (Drake)
49​
Brandon Mahan, Undecided (UCF)
50​
Izaiah Brockington, Iowa State (Penn State)
51​
Addison Patterson, Nevada (Oregon)
52​
Jalen Pickett, Penn State (Siena)
53​
Chandler Jacobs, Colorado State (Dallas Baptist)
54​
Brandon McKissic, Florida (UMKC)
55​
AJ Bramah, Nevada (Robert Morris)
56​
Daejon Davis, Washington (Stanford)
57​
Bryce Thompson, Oklahoma State (Kansas)
58​
Bryce Hamilton, Undecided (UNLV)
59​
Chris Lykes, Arkansas (Miami)
60​
Micah Peavy, TCU (Texas Tech)
61​
Darryl Morsell, Undecided (Maryland)
62​
Parker Fox, Minnesota (Northern State)
63​
Boogie Ellis, USC (Memphis)
64​
Storm Murphy, Virginia Tech (Wofford)
65​
Aljami Durham, Providence (Indiana)
66​
DJ Jeffries, Mississippi State (Memphis)
67​
Michael Flowers, Washignton State (South Alabama)
68​
Jack Nunge, Xavier (Iowa)
69​
Taze Moore, Houston (CS Bakersfield)
70​
Jay Heath, Arizona State (Boston College)
71​
Fatts Russell, Maryland (Rhode Island)
72​
Zach Nutall, SMU (Sam Houston State)
73​
D'Shawn Schwartz, George Mason (Colorado)
74​
Parker Stewart, Indiana (UT-Martin)
75​
CJ Fredrick, Kentucky (Iowa)
76​
Chad Baker, San Diego State (Duquense)
77​
Noah Locke, Louisville (Florida)
78​
Cole Swider, Syracuse (Villanova)
79​
Jamison Battle, Minnesota (George Washington)
80​
KJ Buffen, UAB (Ole Miss)
81​
Davion Warren, Texas Tech (Hampton)
82​
Wynston Tabbs, East Carolina (Boston College)
83​
Jordan Miller, Miami (Geoge Mason)
84​
Omar Payne, Illinois (Florida)
85​
Noah Gurley, Alabama (Furman)
86​
Charlie Moore, Miami (DePaul)
87​
Jarrod West, Louisville (Marshall)
88​
Jaemyn Brakefield, Ole Miss (Duke)
89​
Alfonso Plummer, Illinois (Utah)
90​
Jamir Harris, Seton Hall (American)
91​
David Jenkins, Utah (UNLV)
92​
Jemarl Baker, Fresno State (Arizona)
93​
Phlandrous Fleming, Florida (Charleston Southern)
94​
David Collins, Clemson (South Florida)
95​
Jordan Brown, Undecided (Arizona)
96​
Mason Faulkner, Colorado (Western Carolina)
97​
Mike Nuga, New Mexico (Kent State)
98​
Jordan Goldwire, Oklahoma (Duke)
99​
Brandon Johnson, DePaul (Minnesota)
100​
Cameron Shelton, Loyola Marymount (Northern Arizona)
101​
Emmitt Matthews, Washington (West Virginia)
102​
Michael Weathers, SMU (Texas Southern)
103​
Marcus Weathers, SMU (Duquense)
104​
Will Baker, Nevada (Texas)
105​
Cam'Ron Fletcher, Florida State (Kentucky)
106​
Marcus Tsohonis, VCU (Washington)
107​
Naz Bohannon, Clemson (Youngstown State)
108​
Ian Martinez, Maryland (Utah)
109​
Alondes Williams, Wake Forest (Oklahoma)
110​
Cam Martin, Kansas (Missouri Southern)
111​
Shahada Wells, TCU (Texas-Arlington)
112​
Matt Cross, Louisville (Miami)
113​
Jamari Wheeler, Ohio State (Penn State)
114​
Clyde Trapp, Charlotte (Clemson)
115​
Kur Kuath, Marquette (Oklahoma)
116​
Tyreek Smith, Oklahoma State (Texas Tech)
117​
CJ Felder, Florida (Boston College)
118​
Jimmy Nichols, VCU (Providence)
119​
Jalen Coleman-Lands, Kansas (Iowa State)
120​
Pedro Castro, Duquense (Houston Baptist)
121​
Shakeel Moore, Mississippi State (NC State)
122​
Jabri Abdur-Rahim, Georgia (Virginia)
123​
Tyon Grant-Foster, DePaul (Kansas)
124​
Rocket Watts, Mississippi State (Michigan State)
125​
Elyjah Williams, Northwestern (Fairleigh Dickinson)
126​
John Meeks, Charleston (Bucknell)
127​
DJ Horne, Arizona State (Illinois State)
128​
Charles Manning, South Alabama (LSU)
129​
Nysier Brooks, Ole Miss (Miami)
130​
Sardaar Calhoun, Texas Tech (Florida State)
131​
Tyrell Roberts, Washington State (UC San Diego)
132​
Dale Bonner, Baylor (Fairmont State)
133​
Tye ***an, Ole Miss (Georgia)
134​
RayJ Dennis, Toledo (Boise State)
135​
Desi Sills, Arkansas State (Arkansas)
136​
Damari Monsato, Wake Forest (East Tennessee State)
137​
Miller Kopp, Indiana (Northwestern)
138​
Zep Jasper, Auburn (College of Charleston)
139​
Bryson Williams, Undecided (UTEP)
140​
Troymain Crosby, (Alcorn State)
141​
Steffon Mitchell, Undecided (Boston College)
142​
Payton Willis, Minnesota (Charleston)
143​
Christian Guess, Undecided (Samford)
144​
Malik Curry, West Virginia (Old Dominion)
145​
Corey Walker, Undecided (Tennessee)
146​
Theo John, Duke (Marquette)
147​
Jalen Cone, Northern Arizona (Virginia Tech)
148​
Alexis Yetna, Seton Hall (South Florida)
149​
Jalen Terry, DePaul (Oregon)
150​
Oumar Ballo, Arizona (Gonzaga

Sheesh. This make me realize how many misses there really were.

Top 10 Overvalued Players
3. Justin Powell, Tennessee (Auburn)
10. Dylan Disu, Texas (Vanderbilt)
20. Earl Timberlake, Memphis (Miami)
6. Qudus Wahab, Maryland (Georgetown)
8. Tre Mitchell, Texas (Massachusetts)
37. Marcus Williams, Texas A&M (Wyoming)
4. Quincy Guerrier, Oregon (Syracuse)
48. Joseph Yesufu, Kansas (Drake)
26. Liam Robbins, Vanderbilt (Minnesota)
53. Chandler Jacobs, Colorado State (Dallas Baptist)

Top 10 Undervalued Players
109. Alondes Williams, Wake Forest (Oklahoma)
NR. Tari Eason, LSU (Cincinnati)
139. Bryson Williams, Texas Tech (UTEP)
NR. Ryan Hawkins, Creighton (D II)
NR. Jake Laravia, Wake Forest (Indiana State)
NR. Yauhen Massalski, San Francisco (San Diego)
NR. Wendell Green, Auburn (Eastern Kentucky)
NR. Terrell Brown, Washington (Arizona)
86. Charlie Moore, Miami (DePaul)
50. Izaiah Brockington, Iowa State (Penn State)

Reactions: TKBray and KisteK
Chris Beard sux.

Mark Smith was prob a Top 150 '21-'22 transfer.

.. but I'm cool with you disagreeing

Chris Beard sux.

Hah. That does seem to be the common denominator here lol.

IIRC, Disu led the SEC in rebounds in 2021. Feel like he and Mitchell should have both been top 50 transfers, but they have to get enough minutes and touches. Mitchell will do better in West Virginia's system, IMO.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Wahab was awful. The angry Maryland poster should weigh in. Powell sucked too. Thought both of those guys would do better.

Your top 2 were real good.

Manek @ 39 was an over achiever. Williams @ 109 his performance shocked everyone.

Dont think so on DJ but im not exactly plugged in.

Hah. That does seem to be the common denominator here lol.

IIRC, Disu led the SEC in rebounds in 2021. Feel like he and Mitchell should have both been top 50 transfers, but they have to get enough minutes and touches. Mitchell will do better in West Virginia's system, IMO.
ConstantBareAss-size_restricted.gif

Here's a rundown of the transfers that made my postseason top 150 players. Their preseason ranking is in parenthesis.

1. Oscar Tshiebwe, Kentucky (33)
15. Walker Kessler, Auburn (81)
18. James Akinjo, Baylor (40)
22. Alondes Williams, Wake Forest (NR)
23. Tari Eason, LSU (NR)
26. Izaiah Brockington, Iowa State (NR)
51. Terrell Brown, Washington (NR)
63. Teddy Allen, New Mexico State (118)
64. Brady Manek, North Carolina (NR)
69. Matt Bradley, San Diego State (59)
70. Bryson Williams, Texas Tech (NR)
87. Timmy Allen, Texas (NR)
90. Ryan Hawkins, Creighton (NR)
91. Sahvir Wheeler, Kentucky (126)
92. Jake Laravia, Wake Forest (NR)
98. Kyler Edwards, Houston (92)
118. Fatts Russell, Maryland (NR)
120. Jayden Gardner, Virginia (71)
121. Alfonso Plummer, Illinois (NR)
123. Jamison Battle, Minnesota (NR)
124. Michael Flowers, Washington State
132. Charlie Moore, Miami (NR)
136. Yauhen Massalski, San Francisco (NR)
137. Xavier Johnson, Indiana (105)
140. Tyrece Radford, Texas A&M (NR)
146. Marcus Carr, Texas (19)
150. Remy Martin, Kansas (14)

Rasir Bolton and Julian Strawther are both returning to Gonzaga for another year. The Zags were the heavy favorite to land Malachi Smith. This might change things. Don't think anyone expected Rasir Bolton back. Perhaps Texas Tech is the new favorite?

Rasir Bolton and Julian Strawther are both returning to Gonzaga for another year. The Zags were the heavy favorite to land Malachi Smith. This might change things. Don't think anyone expected Rasir Bolton back. Perhaps Texas Tech is the new favorite?
Gotta be honest, didn't watch a lot of hoops last year.
From what I saw, those dudes didn't look like prospects to me. Were they getting 1st Rd grades? I could easily be wrong just thought they were good college players didn't see the pro upside.

Gotta be honest, didn't watch a lot of hoops last year.
From what I saw, those dudes didn't look like prospects to me. Were they getting 1st Rd grades? I could easily be wrong just thought they were good college players didn't see the pro upside.

Raisr Bolton might have been drafted late in the second round, but more than likely he'd go undrafted. I don't think most expected him back simply because he'll be 23 in a couple months. So, you're looking at someone starting their professional career as a 24 year-old rookie. The age factor was the biggest reason why most didn't expect him back.

Julian Strawther's potential is much, much higher, however. I believe he would have been drafted somewhere in the second round. Good size and shooting touch, solid defender - needs to be better with handling the ball. If his game improves, he's capable of going in the latter part of the first round, IMO.

I know continuity helps, but man, some Gonzaga fans would probably prefer losing Bolton if it ensures they will snag Malachi Smith. Bolton is a good scorer and shooter - but he's a small guard and a relatively average defender. Smith offers a lot more versatility than Bolton.

Reactions: KisteK
Jalen Wilson returning for another year at KU. We’re expecting McCullar to announce he’s withdrawing from the draft as well. Huge for KU to return 2 of the 5 starters who won the title. A bunch of continuity returning for Kansas.

Jalen Wilson returning for another year at KU. We’re expecting McCullar to announce he’s withdrawing from the draft as well. Huge for KU to return 2 of the 5 starters who won the title. A bunch of continuity returning for Kansas.
Wouldn't say a bunch. The rotation's going to look a lot different.

Sheesh. This make me realize how many misses there really were.

Top 10 Undervalued Players
109. Alondes Williams, Wake Forest (Oklahoma)
NR. Tari Eason, LSU (Cincinnati)
139. Bryson Williams, Texas Tech (UTEP)
NR. Ryan Hawkins, Creighton (D II)
NR. Jake Laravia, Wake Forest (Indiana State)
NR. Yauhen Massalski, San Francisco (San Diego)
NR. Wendell Green, Auburn (Eastern Kentucky)
NR. Terrell Brown, Washington (Arizona)
86. Charlie Moore, Miami (DePaul)
50. Izaiah Brockington, Iowa State (Penn State)
fwiw, missed on Kevin Obanor as well. I think he is going to have a monster season this year.

I think he’ll have a big year too. Kind of sat back and let Bryson Williams do his thing last year. Should be Tech’s #1 guy this year.
Definitely. New offensive coach is expected to bring a Golden State style O with heavy emphasis on 3's here which I think will benefit him greatly.

That wasn't technically a miss. I posted my transfer rankings last year in June. Obanor didn't enter the portal until July. He would have easily been ranked in the top 100 among transfers, possibly the top 50.
Gotcha. And, my post isn't meant as a criticism. Your efforts are wholly appreciated.

ADVERTISEMENT