***Official 2020 B1G Off Season Thread***

B-Westy

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2012
It has gotten to be too much, sports take in too much money and take up too much time while offering nothing of substance. It’s sad how much is wasted on nothing. People need to get back to more important things, that’s one good thing this pandemic has shown, what’s truly needed and what’s not.
Has one kid & now acts like he sees the world with his third eye. Good grief... terrible take.

hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
Dec 11, 2012
This is quite the epiphany from someone who stole all the entry fees to the board March madness bracket pool a few years ago (whether that was a bit or not, I don’t really care). I’m glad you’re the moral arbiter in the role sports should take in our society in the future. Much appreciated bud.

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but it’s likely going to go back to close to normal Post-pandemic (at least at the professional level). At the end of the day, sports and entertainment is this nations largest export, and there is a demand for it. Leagues are not going to stifle sports when there is a demand for it. The NCAA clearly needs to be restructured but I don’t think that’s the sentiment you were trying to get across.
That was fake

Reactions: Chicubsfan24

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
It has gotten to be too much, sports take in too much money and take up too much time while offering nothing of substance. It’s sad how much is wasted on nothing. People need to get back to more important things, that’s one good thing this pandemic has shown, what’s truly needed and what’s not.
I agree with this. The best part of the pandemic has been the increased time I have gotten to spend with my kids. Working from home has been stressful and I work a ton more now (partly because I got promoted) but it's all good because there are additional fun times with the kids. For example, after a meeting or whatever I can go outside and throw the football/baseball with my boy for 10 minutes or so and then go back to work. Can't do that under a normal environment, obviously, but it's been a great change. We go on bike rides, fishing, play sports, etc. a ton more now. It's been absolutely awesome to really focus on what's important in life. I honestly haven't missed watching sports. That's a good thing.

Last edited:

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
Has one kid & now acts like he sees the world with his third eye. Good grief... terrible take.
As someone who has kids, I actually relate to his comment. It's not a terrible take. His take might be different from your, but doesn't mean it's a bad one or vice versa.

Last edited:

theetommyt

Mar 13, 2012
Brian Snow hinting that Indiana, Purdue, and Notre Dame might be souring on the Blake Wesley experience. He's talented (top 100 SG) and has a very high ceiling, but there's some drama. Indiana is in on Bryce Hopkins, and Trey Kaufmann talking about possibly enrolling early (Indiana has scholarship room available.) I'm bored, I'll bring some home board highlights over.

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
Brian Snow hinting that Indiana, Purdue, and Notre Dame might be souring on the Blake Wesley experience. He's talented (top 100 SG) and has a very high ceiling, but there's some drama. Indiana is in on Bryce Hopkins, and Trey Kaufmann talking about possibly enrolling early (Indiana has scholarship room available.) I'm bored, I'll bring some home board highlights over.
The Wesley thing is interesting that hinting that neither of those schools would take him right now.

Duncomb having a great weekend was good to see as well. That kid just knows how to be around the basketball

Reactions: SNU0821

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
The Wesley thing is interesting that hinting that neither of those schools would take him right now.

Duncomb having a great weekend was good to see as well. That kid just knows how to be around the basketball
Loved seeing how well Duncomb played this weekend against some good competition! Now I just want to land Kaufman.

Jaycg15

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2008
Team
Illinois
Would Kauffman and Hopkins sign on the same team?

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
Would Kauffman and Hopkins sign on the same team?
Just a guess, but hard to think they would.
I would say no as well.

Sounds like Michigan, Ohio State and Indiana will come in hot at Hopkins. IU had him on a visit before his commitment, so that has to be a step in the right direction.

IUBtown

Mar 9, 2016
Just saying sports has gotten too big, especially college basketball/football. World needs to correct itself from time to time and this is what’s happening. Sorry you need sports that bad to fulfill your happiness.

Reactions: SNU0821

IUBtown

Mar 9, 2016
I would say no as well.

Sounds like Michigan, Ohio State and Indiana will come in hot at Hopkins. IU had him on a visit before his commitment, so that has to be a step in the right direction.
Same. Could be another good option and possibly push Kaufman to make a decision.

Reactions: klize17

dragonhawk1855

Gold Member
Nov 8, 2018
there are other college FB players that are starting to get organized in playing this fall. the Clemson QB is the one behind a national movement to play.

as for Iowa the players parents are all for playing the season, as one parent put it. the players are safer in college where they are under the care and watchful eye of the coaches and medical staff.

one more point these kids are safer playing Sports than being sent home where they will come in contact with people who don't do social distancing, wear masks and more importantly burden the parents and family with medical bills vs where the players have round the clock Dr's and training staff to take care of them, plus test them.

gowolverines8

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2005
Hopkins was begging for um offer when beilein was here and visited a few times. Seems like he's improved and with Juwans Chicago ties I have to imagine UM will be heavily involved. I was very underwhelmed by his film for top 50 guy though, this 2021 class just sucks.

MileHighSpartan

Jan 6, 2014
Just saying sports has gotten too big, especially college basketball/football. World needs to correct itself from time to time and this is what’s happening. Sorry you need sports that bad to fulfill your happiness.
I kind of agree on the sports. These University Presidents must've really had to begrudgingly vote to cancel football, knowing that they likely won't get (as much of) their $55m per school royalties from the BTN. I guess they can always play re-runs.

I'm wondering if there will be a flood of students that just end up saying "screw school" and take a skip year, and/or just end up taking cheaper community college classes online. Why pay $20k+ a year to go to a Big Ten / P5 school, when you can't be on campus / enjoy the sports / get taught in person. Might as well save some money and take the online classes, at least for pre-requisites.

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
I am not mad about college sports being burned to the ground and taking some time to rebuild.

I do feel horrible for anyone that works in an athletic department or isn't an athlete for like the 4-8 sports that will remain. No one saw this scenario happening to begin 2020. A lot more people are about to be without jobs.

Reactions: theetommyt

MGC_07

Gold Member
Jun 29, 2016
Hopkins was begging for um offer when beilein was here and visited a few times. Seems like he's improved and with Juwans Chicago ties I have to imagine UM will be heavily involved. I was very underwhelmed by his film for top 50 guy though, this 2021 class just sucks.
Yeah I think the 2021 class lacks in the top 10 range of kids, there are no sure fire superstars but this class does have depth. I mean Barnes for you guys isn’t even in the top 100 and most years he would be.

Reactions: RichardMassive

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
I'm wondering if there will be a flood of students that just end up saying "screw school" and take a skip year, and/or just end up taking cheaper community college classes online. Why pay $20k+ a year to go to a Big Ten / P5 school, when you can't be on campus / enjoy the sports / get taught in person. Might as well save some money and take the online classes, at least for pre-requisites.
100% agree and that will be another issue that arises.

SNU0821

Apr 1, 2013
I am not mad about college sports being burned to the ground and taking some time to rebuild.

I do feel horrible for anyone that works in an athletic department or isn't an athlete for like the 4-8 sports that will remain. No one saw this scenario happening to begin 2020. A lot more people are about to be without jobs.
I feel bad for the athletes. The juniors and seniors who worked their asses off to prove themselves. Some of those guys may not have been on the pro radar prior and would have had breakout years. Not that that is super common, but it happens. Think about the Olympians. I do feel bad for all those people.

Reactions: klize17

bMORE607

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2016
Stuck in Turgatory
WTF was the point of coming out with a conference only games schedule if they were going to fold up shop a couple weeks later? Fvcking disappointed, but maybe we can finally burn it down and get the relegation/ promotion model up and running like European soccer.

buckymel

Oct 1, 2011
Brooklyn, New York
Team
Wisconsin
WTF was the point of coming out with a conference only games schedule if they were going to fold up shop a couple weeks later? Fvcking disappointed, but maybe we can finally burn it down and get the relegation/ promotion model up and running like European soccer.
The European soccer model would never happen.

Jaycg15

Gold Member
Jul 17, 2008
Team
Illinois
I would say no as well.

Illinois will go after him. He's been telling our staff he was going to open it up since January.

I doubt we get him for a couple of reasons.
1. I think other teams are preferred.
2. I think we will get 2 of David Jones, Jordan Nesbitt, or Brandon Weston first. More likely the first two.

Was curious about that lineup because it would be pretty bad shooting at wings, and I would think Archie would have had enough of not having shooters on the floor.

Reactions: SNU0821 and klize17

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
They ****ed up releasing the schedule. The schedule was delayed a few days as well because of Rutgers and IU player Brady Feeney's stories. No way the presidents (who are the only ones who matter right now) liked those stories coming out.

B1G should have continued to hold off on releasing the schedule, but the SEC had already released so they felt the pressure.

Reactions: Chicubsfan24

boiler1987

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006

Sounds like Duncomb indeed had himself a good weekend. On the flip side, it was funny reading some of the comments on Furst from one game. I saw one guy compare him to Patrick Bade (lol).

klize17

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2006
Sounds like Duncomb indeed had himself a good weekend. On the flip side, it was funny reading some of the comments on Furst from one game. I saw one guy compare him to Patrick Bade (lol).
Oh I can only imagine. Furst is a good player but the matchup of Kaufman/Duncomb vs that particular team just didn't seem fair. I watched about 30 minutes or so of that game on my flight yesterday and Indiana Elite took it to Indy Heat down low right from the get go.

boiler1987

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2006
Oh I can only imagine. Furst is a good player but the matchup of Kaufman/Duncomb vs that particular team just didn't seem fair. I watched about 30 minutes or so of that game on my flight yesterday and Indiana Elite took it to Indy Heat down low right from the get go.
Didn’t seem like Indy Heat even tried to get Furst involved which is crazy haha.

IUBtown

Mar 9, 2016
I kind of agree on the sports. These University Presidents must've really had to begrudgingly vote to cancel football, knowing that they likely won't get (as much of) their $55m per school royalties from the BTN. I guess they can always play re-runs.

Agreed and I think like a lot of things, this will happen more often even once the covid thing clears. Folks don’t realize how much of our life will change because of this.

Reactions: KisteK and SNU0821