***Official 2019 B1G Off Season thread***

Who is the worst Purdue poster?

• Pig1960

• Proudopete

• Joe for prez

• JohnHoosierr

• Graham Couch

Results are only viewable after voting.
You missed them 10 years before Beilein. Name the $$, and I'll bet that Illinois doesn't miss the tournament 10 straight years like Michigan did.

Thankfully Beilein came and things have been pretty good. Illinois hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2013. Yikes. Howard, Smart, or anyone on our “shitty list” will make the tournament again in less time that it has taken Illinois.

Feels good.

I will honestly say I had no idea about Cooley's Big East and tournament records before the first post. I was wrong, he is another shitty candidate. Give him a hire.

And Martin has missed the NCAA tournament at South Carolina in 6 of 7 years. Neither him nor Cooley would be good hires. Realistic candidate list is unimpressive.

Thankfully Beilein came and things have been pretty good. Illinois hasn’t made the NCAA Tournament since 2013. Yikes. Howard, Smart, or anyone on our “shitty list” will make the tournament again in less time that it has taken Illinois.

Feels good.
Your program peaked. Better remember that feeling. I remember making a title game and then the slow taper that followed after getting a coach of the quality you're about to get. Glad I don't have to relive that. Feels good.

It just sucks seeing one of the best coaches in the game spurn a program in our conference and know the new guy won't be any better. Someone will fill the void that is created by Michigan though.

Will Wade $trikes again. How is that dude still coaching?

Because all the NCAA can do is give him a show cause and that means nothing because he already has a job. LSU doesn't give a shit and knows the NCAA can do nothing.

Your program peaked. Better remember that feeling. I remember making a title game and then the slow taper that followed after getting a coach of the quality you're about to get. Glad I don't have to relive that. Feels good.

Doubt we ever sink back to the 6 straight missed tournaments that Illinois is going through right now. Thank God.

yiOKc3S.gif

Beilein was 40-40 in the Big East at WVU and only made the NCAA twice in five years. You guys might have not have noticed, but the Big East was the best (or second best) basketball conference in the country for the past three decades. I count seven national champs from the Big East in the last 20 years. Cooley can coach.

Reactions: KisteK
Beilein was 40-40 in the Big East at WVU and only made the NCAA twice in five years. You guys might have not have noticed, but the Big East was the best (or second best) basketball conference in the country for the past three decades. I count seven national champs from the Big East in the last 20 years. Cooley can coach.

He had a top 5 pick and won 1 game in the tournament.

1-5 in the ncaa tournament. Beilein?

1-5 in the ncaa tournament. Beilein?

It's your hire. I'm not telling you who to like or not.

I think Cooley is a good HC. And a good recruiter. PC might be the toughest job in that league. Ed Cooley has won 10 league games at PC 5 times. Before Cooley Providence had won 10 league games 5 times in their previous 25 years. Providence was one of the teams we thought we could beat in that league. Rick Barnes won 10 games at PC once in six years. That job is not easy.

Last edited:

I think Cooley is a good HC. And a good recruiter. PC might be the toughest job in that league. Ed Cooley has won 10 league games at PC 5 times. Before Cooley Providence had won 10 league games 5 times in their previous 25 years. Believe me, I know. Providence was one of the teams we thought we could beat in that league. Rick Barnes won 10 games at PC once in six years. That job is not easy.

I asked you a simple question because you’re the one that brought up Beilein at WVU.

Cooley’s NCAAT record is 1-5.

What was Beilein’s at WVU?

I think Cooley is a good HC. And a good recruiter. PC might be the toughest job in that league. Ed Cooley has won 10 league games at PC 5 times. Before Cooley Providence had won 10 league games 5 times in their previous 25 years. Believe me, I know. Providence was one of the teams we thought we could beat in that league. Rick Barnes won 10 games at PC once in six years. That job is not easy.
Some fair points in there. I’ve never thought that much of Cooley personally but I can’t argue with what you said.

Doubt we ever sink back to the 6 straight missed tournaments that Illinois is going through right now. Thank God.
Good stuff, man. Never change.

Michigan is getting worse. It's funny. The question is how much worse, and it's looking like it could be really funny.

I asked you a simple question because you’re the one that brought up Beilein at WVU.

Cooley’s NCAAT record is 1-5.

What was Beilein’s at WVU?

5-2. Beilein is a much better HC than Cooley. And (likely) Howard too. I would take Beilein easily over both. You should get him if he is available.

Last edited:
It can’t be Cooley right?

He seems like a nice guy but he’s also at best an average coach.

It can’t be Cooley right?

He seems like a nice guy but he’s also at best an average coach.

Out of curiosity, when they hired Beilein were you thinking it was a great hire?

Prior to UM he was a D1 head coach for 15 years and missed the tournament 11 times. He then missed the tournament in 2 of his first three years at UM.

Out of curiosity, when they hired Beilein were you thinking it was a great hire?

Prior to UM he was a D1 head coach for 15 years and missed the tournament 11 times. He then missed the tournament in 2 of his first three years at UM.

2005 Elite 8
2006 Sweet 16
2007 NIT champion

Not sure if people considered him a good hire or not at the time he was hired but that’s better than what Cooley has done

Good stuff, man. Never change.

Michigan is getting worse. It's funny. The question is how much worse, and it's looking like it could be really funny.

Thankfully I won’t have to live through another 6 year tournament drought like Illinois is in.

2005 Elite 8
2006 Sweet 16
2007 NIT champion

Not sure if people considered him a good hire or not at the time he was hired but that’s better than what Cooley has done

That wasn’t my point. People seem to be judging Cooley by simply looking at his resume. If you looked at Belein’s resume when UM hired him ,it was also bad.

I’d say Cooley has done very well at the jobs he’s had.

What was Billy Donovan’s resume like when UF hired him? ( I really don’t know ) or Brad Stevens before Butler??

I think Beilein is a great coach, but I imagine the esteem he'd be held in by the general public would've drastically changed if not for two answered prayers in the tournament. Admittedly, those are the types of plays that most programs rely upon to make it all the way to the championship.

Are we now using the Beilein wasn't very good when he was hired so this next guy that doesn't look very good is going to be good because it happened at Michigan before and its the exact same situation type think?

Reactions: JohnHoosierr
That wasn’t my point. People seem to be judging Cooley by simply looking at his resume. If you looked at Belein’s resume when UM hired him ,it was also bad.

I’d say Cooley has done very well at the jobs he’s had.

What was Billy Donovan’s resume like when UF hired him? ( I really don’t know ) or Brad Stevens before Butler??

Beilein at least had some very recent tournament success. Cooley is 1-5.

I think Beilein is a great coach, but I imagine the esteem he'd be held in by the general public would've drastically changed if not for two answered prayers in the tournament. Admittedly, those are the types of plays that most programs rely upon to make it all the way to the championship.
This time last year there were people arguing Archie Miller is a better coach than Matt Painter because he made an outlier Elite 8 at Dayton.

I'm not saying the NCAA Tournament shouldn't be a big factor, but it definitely has a disproportionate impact on how we view coaches.

FTR - Beilein is/was a top-10 CBB coach, in case someone wanted to twist the above to be a dig at JB.

This time last year there were people arguing Archie Miller is a better coach than Matt Painter because he made an outlier Elite 8 at Dayton.

I'm not saying the NCAA Tournament shouldn't be a big factor, but it definitely has a disproportionate impact on how we view coaches.

FTR - Beilein is/was a top-10 CBB coach, in case someone wanted to twist the above to be a dig at JB.

We fought that fight for years under Bo. It's exhausting.

I imagine the general public would hold him in higher esteem if Morris’ buzzer beater fell, Walton’s buzzer beater fell, Harrison’s buzzer beater didn’t fall, etc.

Like you said, shit happens in the ncaa tournament. Sometimes you’re the hammer and sometimes you’re the nail.

When in doubt, repeat yourself.

I'm guessing those 10 years had a great impact on you. It would take something that sad to form such a miserable ****.

There’s nothing to doubt. Illinois hasn’t made the ncaa tournament since 2013 and you’re here talking shit about Michigan. Think about that and reevaluate who comes off as the miserable ****.

Langford checks all the buzzworthy boxes: Verticality, wingspan, potential, and upside. But what he lacks is what makes an NBA player an NBA player.

FROM FIVE PLAYERS TO STAY AWAY FROM:
Romeo Langford, Indiana
- 6-6 SG. Freshman.
Langford has an NBA-ready body, but he also has a season's worth of underperformance at the high-major collegiate level. Langford looked lost at times on the court despite his unparalleled athleticism and talent. he also struggled from beyond the arc, making just 27 percent of his 3-point attempts. He's not an incredibly efficient player either, often times careless with the ball or taking ill-advised shots.

Langford checks all the buzzworthy boxes: Verticality, wingspan, potential, and upside. But what he lacks is what makes an NBA player an NBA player.
https://www.nbcsports.com/washington/wizards/2019-nba-draft-five-prospects-too-much-risk-wizards

Carsen>langford @SNU0821

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT