ADVERTISEMENT

*Official* 2017-2018 B1G In-Season Thread

You guys played the same opponents with us.... except a few we played the healthy version, and you played their handicapped brother.

We would be at least 2-3 in the games listed above.

Not to mention getting NW at home.

JLhbtkP.gif

Yeah man watch out for that ruckus NW home crowd real game changer.

Huh? He's averaging 3.2apg over the last 6 games, and has had 9 games (out of 20) with at least 4+ assists.

For the amount of usage he has I don't see him as a particularly good ball handler. Maybe it isn't that he can't pass but is electing to call up his own number more than not.

That is one of the knocks on him in the mock draft write ups. Ball handling.

He has 20 turnovers and 20 assists in 8 BIG games. That isn't mind blowing stuff for a guy of his athletic ability and usage rates.

Keep in mind I'm thinking of him as a lotto pick

KenPom projected Big Ten standings:

Purdue - 17-1
OSU - 16-2
MSU - 14-4
Michigan - 11-7
Nebraska - 10-8
Maryland - 9-9
IU - 8-10
Wisconsin 7-11
Northwestern 7-11
Penn State - 7-11
Minnesota - 7-11
Rutgers - 5-13
Illinois - 4-14
Iowa - 4-14

Last edited:

Purdue - 17-1
OSU - 16-2
MSU - 14-4
Michigan - 11-7
Nebraska - 10-8
Maryland - 9-9
IU - 8-10
Wisconsin 7-11
Penn State - 7-11
Minnesota - 7-11
Rutgers - 5-13
Illinois - 4-14
Iowa - 4-14

Hey Boilerzz appreciate this. Can you give me an update on IUs remaining spreads? Thank you

JLhbtkP.gif

Yeah man watch out for that ruckus NW home crowd real game changer.
We went to OT away. Home games typically swing 3 points. Either way, you have played the cupcake version of those games.

We aren't going to lose every game this season, and you guys haven't beaten anybody good yet in conference.

We went to OT away. Home games typically swing 3 points. Either way, you have played the cupcake version of those games.

We aren't going to lose every game this season, and you guys haven't beaten anybody good yet in conference.

Neither has Illinois.

Should be a good game tomorrow. Both teams need it for opposite reasons

Neither has Illinois.

Should be a good game tomorrow. Both teams need it for opposite reasons
That is my point exactly. Neither team has done anything spectacular. The 5 game difference in standings says nothing about how this game will play out.

Different reasons? Looks like we're both going to be vying for positioning in the NIT.

That is my point exactly. Neither team has done anything spectacular. The 5 game difference in standings says nothing about how this game will play out.

Different reasons? Looks like we're both going to be vying for positioning in the NIT.

Yes you out of the dumpster IU to be 6-3 at the halfway point with two good home opportunities for a big win and maybe a tourney run.

Good Game Bucks. I couldn’t post this until now. You guys deserved the win, we can’t come out of a timeout and ever score/play defense.

Palmer Jr for Newcomer of the Year!
that shot clock violation out of the timeout was a killer. looked like Miles wanted a quick 3 from that set.

Reactions: Frost4NU
Yes you out of the dumpster IU to be 6-3 at the halfway point with two good home opportunities for a big win and maybe a tourney run.
Your problem is you currently have one good win and some bad losses. Not a very good chance of beating the ranked teams left in your schedule, but I am still skeptical of OSU for some reason. Illinois and Rutgers are two bad teams that will beat some teams. Nebraska isn't an easy out.

Purdue - 17-1
OSU - 16-2
MSU - 14-4
Michigan - 11-7
Nebraska - 10-8
Maryland - 9-9
IU - 8-10
Wisconsin 7-11
Penn State - 7-11
Minnesota - 7-11
Rutgers - 5-13
Illinois - 4-14
Iowa - 4-14

I can still see OSU losing to MSU, MICH, and maybe another, but even with 3 losses they are having an incredible season.

Purdue - 17-1
OSU - 16-2
MSU - 14-4
Michigan - 11-7
Nebraska - 10-8
Maryland - 9-9
IU - 8-10
Wisconsin 7-11
Penn State - 7-11
Minnesota - 7-11
Rutgers - 5-13
Illinois - 4-14
Iowa - 4-14

Somethings missing chief.

Reactions: KisteK
ISU and Fort Wayne games are killing us. Take those two and the Wisc game back and we're still in it for an at large bid. Think IU can get to 11 conference wins.

Those games really ****ed up the computers too. Just saw a stat where IUs defense in the last ten games is #39 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Huge improvements.

Illinois problem is, besides being 0-8 in conference, is they only have 2 wins against the top 100 kenpom. You look at their national ranks in KP stats and there's a lot of red/pink which is rankings of 200+.

For the amount of usage he has I don't see him as a particularly good ball handler. Maybe it isn't that he can't pass but is electing to call up his own number more than not.

That is one of the knocks on him in the mock draft write ups. Ball handling.

He has 20 turnovers and 20 assists in 8 BIG games. That isn't mind blowing stuff for a guy of his athletic ability and usage rates.

Keep in mind I'm thinking of him as a lotto pick

I think he still needs to work on his handles, but his passing ability is actually pretty good. Right now he's about 20th in the B1G in assists per game at 3.0, pretty much behind all PGs/SGs except for Happ (3.7) and Coffey (who averaged 3.4 but against mostly scrub teams, as he's been hurt and has missed 5 B1G games).

I think it is also a factor that he plays with the B1G's #1 (Winston at 7.0apg) and #9 (Tum at 3.8apg) assist leaders.

What other lotto picks average more assists per game? Trae Young, Colin Sexton, and....? Obviously some of them will never average more, like Bagley (negative assist turnover ratio) and Bamba. But similar players like Mikal Bridges (2.0apg), Kevin Knox (1.7apg), Diallo (SG, 1.7apg) all average even less.

I think he still needs to work on his handles, but his passing ability is actually pretty good. Right now he's about 20th in the B1G in assists per game at 3.0, pretty much behind all PGs/SGs except for Happ (3.7) and Coffey (who averaged 3.4 but against mostly scrub teams, as he's been hurt and has missed 5 B1G games).

I think it is also a factor that he plays with the B1G's #1 (Winston at 7.0apg) and #9 (Tum at 3.8apg) assist leaders.

What other lotto picks average more assists per game? Trae Young, Colin Sexton, and....? Obviously some of them will never average more, like Bagley (negative assist turnover ratio) and Bamba. But similar players like Mikal Bridges (2.0apg), Kevin Knox (1.7apg), Diallo (SG, 1.7apg) all average even less.

That's fair. As a Spartan fan what do you think he plays as a pro?

Purdue - 17-1
OSU - 16-2
MSU - 14-4
Michigan - 11-7
Nebraska - 10-8
Maryland - 9-9
IU - 8-10
Wisconsin 7-11
Northwestern 7-11
Penn State - 7-11
Minnesota - 7-11
Rutgers - 5-13
Illinois - 4-14
Iowa - 4-14
Would love to know what other games left on our schedule they think we will win? I'm having trouble finding like 1 more win and they think we will win 3. THREE!!!

Would love to know what other games left on our schedule they think we will win? I'm having trouble finding like 1 more win and they think we will win 3. THREE!!!
Best chances:
Indiana - 60%
Northwestern - 58%
Wisconsin - 55%
Minnesota - 54%

Home games against middling teams offer opportunity. That said, I'm not sure KenPom's algorithm realizes Iowa is already 0-4 at home in B1G play.

Your best home win is over KenPom #255 Northern Illinois. Ouch!!

Those games really ****ed up the computers too. Just saw a stat where IUs defense in the last ten games is #39 in adjusted defensive efficiency. Huge improvements.

At this point, IU is much more their conference only stats than they are their ISU and IPFW stats. Thats why I try to use conference only stats as much as I can from here on out.

IU has the fifth best defense in conference play. You can essentially throw out the non con slate and focus on conference season IMO and Archie has basically turned in to what you hired him for - a guy who is now getting the most out of guys who have been bad defensively their whole careers prior to him.

That's fair. As a Spartan fan what do you think he plays as a pro?

Wing SF / small ball PF. Pretty good defender, incredibly athletic, decent bball IQ, pretty good jumpshot. I think he has drifted too much on the perimeter this year, when he really needs to slash more.

His 3PT% has dropped a bit from last year, but he's slowly been creeping it back up over the last few games. First 10 games he shot 32%, last 10 games he's shot 39% from 3 (and 42% over the last 6 games, all B1G games). He's a streaky shooter, but he's literally never afraid to get a shot up. Some games he'll shoot 1 for 7 from 3, but then the next game he'll hit like 5 of 9.

Similar with assists, first 10 games he averaged 2.1apg, last 10 he's averaged 3.6apg.

Illinois problem is, besides being 0-8 in conference, is they only have 2 wins against the top 100 kenpom. You look at their national ranks in KP stats and there's a lot of red/pink which is rankings of 200+.
I don't think that scratches the surface of our problems. We need 2-3 recruits that can play immediately for us next year. We have the players to nearly win the top 100 games, but our roster is flawed. Give us Ayo, Tevian Jones, a grad transfer (Cunningham from Dayton, Austin Trice from Wabash Valley), and a grad transfer center, and I think we turn into a bubble team. I'm pretty optimistic about Eboigbodin's progression from Freshman to Sophomore year, but we need another guy so Black/Finke can play the 4.

Brad Davison v J Bo in the dark caverns of carver hawkeye. Happ will eat.

I don't think that scratches the surface of our problems. We need 2-3 recruits that can play immediately for us next year. We have the players to nearly win the top 100 games, but our roster is flawed. Give us Ayo, Tevian Jones, a grad transfer (Cunningham from Dayton, Austin Trice from Wabash Valley), and a grad transfer center, and I think we turn into a bubble team. I'm pretty optimistic about Eboigbodin's progression from Freshman to Sophomore year, but we need another guy so Black/Finke can play the 4.

I feel ya and feel pretty similar. We get a shooter or two, someone that can get to the hole and boom we're a top 25 team. I.E. romeo Langford.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT