ADVERTISEMENT

OAD poll

Not just your personal feelings, but what you think is the best chance at winning championships.

• Total voters
It’s according to who’s coaching them, and what promises were made....cough...cough....Harrison twins

I don't know who you are telling to stfu, but I predict that next year will have a lot of the same issues as this year. I just don't see them being as good as this year's team.
Actually may have more serious issues. Yes, you got the 1 2 3 ranked players, but they all play same position, and will they want to play defense?

OAD needs to die. I don’t want the best talent, I want the best team.

And I’m very skeptical Duke’s going to have the best team next year. Best talent, sure.

And yet we always say "the best team doesn't always win it all" as well. Conundrum.

OAD needs to die. I don’t want the best talent, I want the best team.

And I’m very skeptical Duke’s going to have the best team next year. Best talent, sure.
How do you arrive at the best team, sheer luck? I don't see any great teams next year and Duke will have the most talent at nearly every position, pieces that actually fit and a HOF coach.

PG: Tre Jones
SG: RJ Barrett
SF: Cameron Reddish
PF: Zion Williamson
C: Marques Bolden

Assuming Brunson, Bridges and 1 of DiVincenzo/Spellman go pro, it sure looks like the best team in the country to me.

KU just lost all their starters besides Azubuike. Michigan lost Wagner and Ali-Rakhman.

2-3 OADs (2012 UK and 2015 Duke)... however it also depends on the talent level of the OADs. If they're borderline lottery or late 1st round/2nd then NO. Give me some upperclassmen!

IMO, a player should have the opportunity to go to the NBA directly from high school. If they’re not drafted and/or choose to attend college, then it’s also my opinion that we should have a two and done rule. I’m over the OAD thing. The kid only attends class for one semester, anyways. I’m also in favor of paying the kids while they’re in school. We all know it’s a business. Be fair and treat it like such. There’s so much money being made, and the ones playing the game aren’t fairly compensated. Kind of straying from the topic, but whatever.

I want the best talent regardless of class, but we always lump all one and done players together like they have equal worth.

2012 Kentucky didn't just have one and dones. They had two top 5 picks. There's a huge difference between a top 5 pick and mid 2nd rounder.

Most of the kids that are projected lottery picks aren’t as dialed in team wise as kids that need time and work to get to that level. There are exceptions like Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist with UK and Oakafor and Winslow with Duke. Both of those teams had senior leadership. A talented experienced team will have the edge over a bunch of projected lottery picks just because they’re older and they’re not thinking about their brand or draft position.

Reactions: keith37
Most of the kids that are projected lottery picks aren’t as dialed in team wise as kids that need time and work to get to that level. There are exceptions like Davis and Kidd-Gilchrist with UK and Oakafor and Winslow with Duke. Both of those teams had senior leadership. A talented experienced team will have the edge over a bunch of projected lottery picks just because they’re older and they’re not thinking about their brand or draft position.
What happened to UVA, Carolina, Southern Cal, Xavier, Purdue, Gonzaga, MSU and Florida in the tournament then?

These teams all had veteran talent and lost to a lower seed and couldn't make it past the Sweet 16.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
What happened to UVA, Carolina, Southern Cal, Xavier, Purdue, Gonzaga, MSU and Florida in the tournament then?

These teams all had veteran talent and lost to a lower seed and couldn't make it past the Sweet 16.

What happened last year when we won it all or the year before when we made the title game? Also you had the best talent including this year, so you tell me, what happened?

I want the best talent regardless of class, but we always lump all one and done players together like they have equal worth.

2012 Kentucky didn't just have one and dones. They had two top 5 picks. There's a huge difference between a top 5 pick and mid 2nd rounder.
Great point bkingUK!

If we narrow down the OAD teams to squads that had 2 lst Round OADs that weren't grossly misevaluated or missed time due to injury (Noel, Embiid, Giles, Skal), we get the following results:

1. UK 2010 (Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe): Elite 8
2. UK 2012 (Davis, MKG, Teague): National Championship
3. UK 2014 (Randle, James Young): National Runner Up
4. UK 2015 (KAT, Booker, Lyles): Final 4
5. Duke 2015 (Okafor, Winslow, Jones): National Championship
6. UK 2017 (Fox, Monk, Adebayo): Elite 8
7. Duke 2018 (Bagley, Carter): Elite 8
8. UK 2018 (Knox, SGA): Sweet 16

2014 KU had Embiid and Wiggins but Embiid got injured before the NCAAT when he started looking like the best big man in the country.

2017 Duke had Jayson Tatum but Harry Giles was misevaluated by recruiting services and was just a shell of himself after injuries.

How do you arrive at the best team, sheer luck? I don't see any great teams next year and Duke will have the most talent at nearly every position, pieces that actually fit and a HOF coach.

PG: Tre Jones
SG: RJ Barrett
SF: Cameron Reddish
PF: Zion Williamson
C: Marques Bolden

Assuming Brunson, Bridges and 1 of DiVincenzo/Spellman go pro, it sure looks like the best team in the country to me.

KU just lost all their starters besides Azubuike. Michigan lost Wagner and Ali-Rakhman.

Just like this past years team. We’ll see how good this team is.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT