Nova over Providence

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by brill, Feb 24, 2015.

1. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

by almost 30. Maybe Nova's best game of the year. Peaking at the right time. Like the studio guy saying Nova should be a 1 seed. 26-2 and 9-1 against the top 50 and 6-1 against top 25. Gonzaga is 1-1 against top 25. Not good enough

2. ManRoar

ManRoar Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

3. endicott

endicott Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Didn't get to see any of the game, but impressive box score. No matter who you're playing, a turn around of winning by 27 and then losing by 28 in conference play has got to be pretty unusual.

4. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Endicott- it was an absolute demolishing against a team I respect a ton. That is a good Prov team. Darrun Hilliard will be the BE POY. and Hon mention All American at least. Playing as well as anybody in college. Stud

5. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova definitely deserves the one seed over Gonzaga, IMO. Right there with Wisconsin, maybe a step ahead after tonight. Still behind the two ACC schools.

6. F-Duke

F-Duke Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think Wisconsin's hopes for a number one seed might have vanished after tonight. They're a very good ball club but don't have any marquee wins. They've played two ranked teams and lost to them both. If Arizona beats Utah this weekend, they'll jump the Badgers in the 2 seeds as well.

7. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Kidding of course- I saw the highlights then the score and then that it was over Providence (pretty decent enough team ) and I was like wtf

Maybe nova is legit. I'd say they deserve the #1 seed over the Zags

No flame at all what are novas "good" wins and who have they lost to?

8. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova is 9-1 against top 50. As good as anybody. 6-1 against top 25. Beaten VCU, Prov twice, Butler twice, Gtown, at St Johns, at lasalle, Syracuse, Michigan, Temple, Illinois, Xavier

Loved Ed cooley's (Prov coach) press conf after game. Just went off on how Nova is the 2nd best team in the country behind Kent and should be the 2nd #1 seed. Said you guys are missing the boat and there is some "Ray Charles/Stevie wonder" around here if you don't see how special this team is. If they are hitting 3s they are unbeatable. Cooley gets it. Great coach at PC and will have them back to 2 straight NCAAs. He is good for the Big East

9. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova is missing that one "big" win. Lots of solid wins. I think @Butler, VCU on a neutral floor and @Prov are the most impressive wins. The team is so fun to watch and if they are hitting shots, watch out. The tournament is a crap shoot and you never know what will happen, but if they get knocked out early it's not because they weren't as good as their seed.

10. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Lost @Seton Hall, not great, but won't kill you. Lost @G'Town by 20 points. The loss itself isn't terrible, margin is though. They've been playing well since then and have avenged that loss as well. I think the BET performance will be a big indicator of things to come. Another loss to the 8 seed in the Big East will make lots of us quite uneasy.

11. Bert Higginbotha

Bert Higginbotha Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Are you counting Michigan, Georgetown and St. Johns? They have dropped out. Good wins but Michigan is not top 30.

12. Hoya1987

Hoya1987 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

RPI Numbers: VCU 12th, Butler 24th (x2), Georgetown 23rd, Providence 22nd (x 2) = 6 top 25 wins.

13. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

a) As good as anybody...BESIDES Kentucky.

b) That's your problem- lots of solid wins but not one that really stands out, makes you say "wow."

With that said, I'm coming along on Villanova. I keep hyping Wisconsin, and I'm still not out on them as the last 1-seed, BUT the ironic thing is Nova is a horrible matchup for Wisconsin- would murder them off the bounce.

14. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Ehh.. They are good, but not in the tier of UK, Duke, Wisconsin (even with their loss) or Zona

I think they are in that dangerous 2nd tier. Similar to the Zags. They have some decent wins, but no "solid stand out win" and a pretty bad loss. Still a very good team though

15. Hoya1987

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova would beat Duke and Wisconsin. Neither team matches up well with Villanova.

16. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Duke-no, Wisconsin yeah maybe

17. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think the "as good as anybody" was specifically referring to the record against top 50 teams. I hope we get a shot to play some of these teams. Would mean E8 or further, sign me up.

18. Hoya1987

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Nova matches up well with both teams. Duke would not be able to guard Nova off the bounce and Nova has a lot of good shooters as well.

19. wcc31

wcc31 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm aware and he's still wrong. Kentucky has a better record and more wins against the Top 50.

20. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Don't be that guy [​IMG]

21. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yes the top 50 wins is as good as anybody. not so literally speaking. Nova could easily beat Duke. Manroar- you say Nova is clearly behind Duke? Not really.

Nova could pound Duke with Pinkston and Ochefu giving them a physical matchup. Nova's guards are elite. AS good a backcourt in the country as anybody's.

We beat VCU btw with their full team when they were playing great. They lost a few after their PG got hurt. That was a very good win and by 23. Destroyed them. Also won at St Johns who will be an 8 or 9 seed by 18- road wins against tourney teams by 18 are impressive

22. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

Well VCU lost to La Salle and St. Bonaventure...so I would not use them as a "good win"

St. Johns is pretty awful and lost to butler who has been blown out by Xavier. Also lost to Creighton and Seton Hall

23. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yet VCU is top 25 RPI. so what else do you use?? you can go use that whole rationale for anybody. Well MD lost to Illinois who lost to blah blah. You can't do that. The #s are what they are.

And St Johns losing to Butler??? and ??? Butler has been top 20 RPI for over a month. Now around there. So I guess UNC is awful b/c they lost to Butler?? that is lame. League losses are what they are. they happen

Duke lost to Miami. So they stink. Miami isn't even NCAA team. St Johns is a lock. So Duke stinks. they deserve an 8 seed
    Lasalle was in the 60s RPI which is ahead of half the SEC. sot what's your point?

This post was edited on 2/25 12:54 PM by brill

24. SpartanJD

SpartanJD Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Big East is massively, and I mean massively overrated outside of Nova.

ACC, B1G, Big12, and Pac12 all better/deeper conferences at this point.

25. Hoya1987

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Not even close to being true. What evidence do you have?

26. ManRoar

Expand Collapse

This

27. sdybsky726

sdybsky726 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think WCC hit the nail on the head earlier. Nova's beaten a lot of really, really good teams....but no great teams yet. That's what leaves me cautiously optimistic rather than absolutely bullish. We've beaten virtually every top 25 (RPI) team we've faced - and manhandled quite a few of them - but haven't played a top 10 team yet. I do think we could compete with and beat everyone but KY half the time we face them. There are some top 10 teams that would provide some match up problems (ie Okafor, Kaminsky, etc), but on the flip side, Nova would provide some matchup problems against those same teams (the depth and strength at guard and consistent position strength across the board). Will be interesting to see come tourney time how it all plays out. The BIg East is deep and they've been tested, but time will tell if that's a better formula than playing a couple of elite teams and having a number of cakewalks. I for one think it forces them to always bring their "A" game and it will play out in their favor, but there are a number of top 10 teams that scare me, just as I would assume other top 10 fan bases feel about the Cats.

28. Hoya1987

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Everyone agrees the Big 12 is the best conference, but look at the comparison to the other 3 you claim are better and deeper.

second ranked conference according to RPI and kenpom.

7 out of the 10 teams were ranked in the top 25 at some point in the season. ACC: 6/15, B10: 8/14, Pac 12: 5/12

4 teams in the top 25 of Kenpom, 6 teams in the top 50. ACC: 5/5 Big 10:3/7 P12:2/4

4 teams in the top 25 of the RPI, 6 teams in the top 50 ACC: 4/7 Big 10:2/5 P12: 2/4

4 teams in the top 25 of the BPI 6 teams in the top 50 ACC: 5/8 Big 10: 3/8 P12: 2/3

considering the BE has 10 teams while the ACC has 15 the Big 10 has 14 and the P12 has 12 I don't see how you can argue those leagues are better or deeper.

This post was edited on 2/25 2:45 PM by Hoya1987

This post was edited on 2/25 3:48 PM by Hoya1987

This post was edited on 2/25 10:38 PM by Hoya1987

29. Jkwo

Jkwo Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think people just unconsciously omit UK from a lot of comparisons at this point. It's not often that that happens on the main board, Maybe UNC '09 is the last time it happened?

Everyone already knows where UK will be seeded, who will be favored in their games, how they compare statistically to x or y team, and we've already heard enough about this team in the media for 3 lifetimes, so people on here just want to discuss somebody else. I get that.

So yeah, of the teams who are still competing for a seed, Nova is as proven as anybody against top 50 competition. And frankly, I had no idea. That's very impressive.

30. GSleas

GSleas Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Yep. UK is overall number one and is better than any team no matter how you look at it. UK is the closest we've seen to history in a long time, with a realistic shot at doing so. I don't even think there is truth to the idea that UK might feel the pressure of being undefeated in the tourney and play tight or nervous. If they have the chance to end the season undefeated I think we will see an even more focused team with a killer mentality.. Hopefully we will play you as late as possible, and will likely add to the number of times we've lost to the eventual champ haha.

This post was edited on 2/25 4:08 PM by GSleas

31. champs99and04

champs99and04 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I wonder if the people calling the Big East overrated realize that they're 7-2 against the ACC.

32. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

they don't champs. They have no clue. Spartan is out to lunch. His comment has zero basis and nothing to support it but his dislike for the BE for some reason.

33. WolverinesWildcats

WolverinesWildcats Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with the assertion that the Big East is #2 after the Big12, but how does having the largest portion of teams that were *at one point* in the top 25 prove anything? That's a pretty meaningless stat. I also definitely support the use of KenPom, but, I'm sorry, the RPI is just stupid. It's 75% SOS. You're basically arguing that the Big East has the 2nd best SOS...great.

34. Hoya1987

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

point was to show a variety of measures.

The top 25 was to show even subjective people using the eye test thought a number of the BE teams were good. Even looking at currently ACC has 5 teams ranked, BE 3, B10 2, P12 2. I don't know how a B10 fan can throw shade at the BE and act like they're a better conference and the BE is overrated.

and SOS is kind of a big deal. With out the SOS info the W/L info is pretty worthless.

35. brill

brill Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Will UNC be ranked? Geesh. Oh yeah UNC and Duke move up when they lose with ESPN