ADVERTISEMENT

Notre Dame Basketball-Present And Future

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Going into the 2019-2020 season, many people believe Coach Mike Brey’s seat is a bit toasty. While he has had some good moments in his run in South Bend, there has been a lot of mediocrity. The last two seasons mark the first time in over a decade the Irish have missed the Big Dance in back-to-back years. And, more often than not, when Brey’s teams have appeared in the postseason, they have been eliminated early.
Could this coming season be “Big Dance or Bust” for Brey?

Reactions: silkcitypirate
Going into the 2019-2020 season, many people believe Coach Mike Brey’s seat is a bit toasty. While he has had some good moments in his run in South Bend, there has been a lot of mediocrity. The last two seasons mark the first time in over a decade the Irish have missed the Big Dance in back-to-back years. And, more often than not, when Brey’s teams have appeared in the postseason, they have been eliminated early.

They went to the Elite 8 in 2015 and 2016. Hadn't been that far since 1979. I think Mike Brey is fine. I imagine he'll retire at Notre Dame. He's had crazy bad luck the past two years with all of the injuries. If they can stay healthy, I think they could be back in the tournament this year.

They went to the Elite 8 in 2015 and 2016. Hadn't been that far since 1979. I think Mike Brey is fine. I imagine he'll retire at Notre Dame. He's had crazy bad luck the past two years with all of the injuries. If they can stay healthy, I think they could be back in the tournament this year.

I hope you are right. I do know that the class who will be sophomores was viewed as one of the finer in the country. However, while I don’t think his job is in jeopardy, if the Irish miss the postseason again this coming season, quite a bit more heat could come on his seat.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Def doesn’t help that he couldn’t land a stud in his own backyard who’s mom played for and coached at ND.

I think they have a good shot this coming season. Aren't they returning pretty much everybody?

UVA lost a lot. I know their recruits are good but they're not going to run train on the conference. Duke and UNC usually reload but freshman are always wildcards. They both lost huge contributors and I don't know what they have for returners (outside of Jones). L'ville I think could be good. Syracuse lost 3 starters from a bad team and replaced them with underwhelming sophomores and 3/4 star freshman. FSU lost most of their roster. The rest of the conference is just meh usually. The ACC is pretty wide open, imo.

Last edited:
Reactions: JSCat12
One thing to remember is that Catholic high schools produce lots of fine athletes annually. A good handful of those players enjoy, and take pride in, continuing their Catholic education. I know football coach Brian Kelly has done a fine job getting such players. But has Brey done as well?

I think they have a good shot this coming season. Aren't they returning pretty much everybody?

UVA lost a lot. I know their recruits are good but they're not going to run train on the conference. Duke and UNC usually reload but freshman are always wildcards. They both lost huge contributors and I don't know what they have for returners (outside of Jones). L'ville I think could be good. Syracuse lost 3 starters from a bad team and replaced them with underwhelming sophomores and 3/4 star freshman. FSU lost most of their roster. The rest of the conference is just meh usually. The ACC is pretty wide open, imo.

Can’t speak for others but FSU returns 3 guys who started last years Sweet 16 game, plus another guy who played more than 15 mpg in the NCAAT. Not exactly “most of our roster.”

But I do agree the ACC, after Louisville, is pretty wide open.

Too bad. He appears on the short list of clean coaches

One thing to remember is that Catholic high schools produce lots of fine athletes annually. A good handful of those players enjoy, and take pride in, continuing their Catholic education. I know football coach Brian Kelly has done a fine job getting such players. But has Brey done as well?

Laughing

You don’t need to go to a Catholic school to learn or continue your education about Catholicism.[/QUOT

I never said you did. I just meant that many players from Catholic high schools simply take pride in and enjoy going to Catholic colleges.

I did not. But the amount of Catholic high school players who have decided to continue going to Catholic schools for college throughout the years is huge.

How about some data to back that claim up. Your way off base on this Catholic faith claim by the way, it’s all about the $$$.

ADVERTISEMENT