ADVERTISEMENT

(Non-Conference) Neutral Site Rivalries That Should Be Played

Fighter of the Nightman

Jul 8, 2019
Chicago, IL
Team
Illinois
This year, for the first time, I was able to attend the Braggin' Rights Game between Illinois and Missouri, a rivalry played in St. Louis for 41 years now. It is pictured here, with fans split at midcourt in a neutral city that functions as an important market for both schools:

5d0404a91833d.image.jpg

It got me thinking that there really aren't that many (any??) rivalry setups like this in college hoops, even though there are setups like this in football (like OU/UT in Dallas). What are some neutral site non-conference rivalry games (current or new) that you think would be cool like this? I suppose it COULD be a conference game, but then you would have to deal with which team is giving up its home game. Just a couple right off the top of my head that I would love to see:

- Iowa/Iowa State in Des Moines, IA
- Kentucky/Ohio State in Cincinnati, OH
- Virginia/Maryland in Washington, DC
- Indiana/Kentucky in Louisville, KY (though I know UL would never go for this ... perhaps Indy or Cincy instead)

Any other good ideas? I wish college hoops had more of these.

Reactions: Random UK Fan
This year, for the first time, I was able to attend the Braggin' Rights Game between Illinois and Missouri, a rivalry played in St. Louis for 41 years now. It is pictured here, with fans split at midcourt in a neutral city that functions as an important market for both schools:

5d0404a91833d.image.jpg

It got me thinking that there really aren't that many (any??) rivalry setups like this in college hoops, even though there are setups like this in football (like OU/UT in Dallas). What are some neutral site non-conference rivalry games (current or new) that you think would be cool like this? I suppose it COULD be a conference game, but then you would have to deal with which team is giving up its home game. Just a couple right off the top of my head that I would love to see:

- Iowa/Iowa State in Des Moines, IA
- Kentucky/Ohio State in Cincinnati, OH
- Virginia/Maryland in Washington, DC
- Indiana/Kentucky in Louisville, KY (though I know UL would never go for this ... perhaps Indy or Cincy instead)

Any other good ideas? I wish college hoops had more of these.
IU/UK @ Freedom Hall was electric. Loved it. I think @ Bankers FH would be awesome. I doubt UL would allow IU/UK @ the Yum...BUt Freedom Hall is still used.

IU/UK @ Freedom Hall was electric. Loved it. I think @ Bankers FH would be awesome. I doubt UL would allow IU/UK @ the Yum...BUt Freedom Hall is still used.

The same year UofL moved into the chicken bucket UK hosted a "home" game against Notre Dame at Freedom Hall for the SEC-Big East Invitational. Louisville fans were not pleased to see UK's home court in their arena and it was HILARIOUS. Troll level - expert 😆😆😆

freedom1.jpg

I dont even think we control what happens at the YUM as far as scheduling, but I could be wrong. Seems like we woulda had more say in freedom hall than the yum but i cant really speak to that either tbh. Pretty sure if the powers that be at the yum wanted to have a nuetral site game between whoever, we wouldnt be able to do a thing about it, but again i dont concern myself with arena contract details.

for UL: UL/memphis and UL/Cincy i wish were played every year, id rather do home and homes than nietral sites tho since those arent exactly prime time national matchups like they used to be when we were rivals in the same conference(s). I wish we player IU as well, we had a few games with them not so long after the cal/assembly hall fallout.

Where is Xavier/Cincy played every year?
Is that a home/home or neutral?
Ferocious rivalry.

They need to get it back on the schedule. The best games were in the 90s when both teams were good.

It's my favorite rivalry in college basketball, along with Mizzou vs IL.

College basketball doesn't have alot of big time intersectional rivalrys or regional rivalrys from other conferences, like college football does.

The sport needs games like this to be played. It's good for the entire sport.

These first two won't matter since they'll be playing in the same conference soon. Some of these matchups might be more suitable for being played on campus...

Houston and Baylor, playing in San Antonio

Arkansas and Texas, playing in Dallas

Kansas and Missouri, playing in Kansas City

Louisville and Cincinnati, playing in Indianapolis

Virginia and Maryland, playing in Richmond

Oklahoma and Nebraska, playing in Kansas City (Nebraska has good home crowds, so I imagine they would travel reasonably well)

I like that rivalry, and I like the on-campus atmosphere. I can't imagine moving to a neutral court site when the schools are only 2.5 miles apart.
Yeah, I definitely agree some are better played on the campuses. However, others are meant for a neutral site to make it an “event.”

I don’t know a single Illini or Mizzou fan who’d want that game moved to the campuses, especially one who’s attended! Such a cool atmosphere, with a little bit of pre-Christmas festivity mixed in. I have never seen such a drunk group of Santa-hat wearing fans. I absolutely loved it, haha.

Yeah, I definitely agree some are better played on the campuses. However, others are meant for a neutral site to make it an “event.”

I don’t know a single Illini or Mizzou fan who’d want that game moved to the campuses, especially one who’s attended! Such a cool atmosphere, with a little bit of pre-Christmas festivity mixed in. I have never seen such a drunk group of Santa-hat wearing fans. I absolutely loved it, haha.
Having attended that game now for the last several years (minus covid year played at Mizzou) its by far the highlight of rivalries for atmosphere inside with the chants back and forth, the crowds cheering and booing at the same time! I've never attended another event like it in my life.

Neutral site games suck unless it's big events like Champions Classic or the early season tournaments. Need to normalize more big home & home series.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Neutral site games suck unless it's big events like Champions Classic or the early season tournaments. Need to normalize more big home & home series.
I get that sentiment, but my OP has a series that is awesome (and likely a more intense atmosphere than the Champions Classic) and objectively better at the neutral site as a Christmas season event. So, surely there is another such possibility out there. :)

I dont even think we control what happens at the YUM as far as scheduling, but I could be wrong. Seems like we woulda had more say in freedom hall than the yum but i cant really speak to that either tbh. Pretty sure if the powers that be at the yum wanted to have a nuetral site game between whoever, we wouldnt be able to do a thing about it, but again i dont concern myself with arena contract details.

for UL: UL/memphis and UL/Cincy i wish were played every year, id rather do home and homes than nietral sites tho since those arent exactly prime time national matchups like they used to be when we were rivals in the same conference(s). I wish we player IU as well, we had a few games with them not so long after the cal/assembly hall fallout.
I miss the IU/UL games.....Cannot remember the year---but IU/UL was playing, but the game wasn't shown due to something....I forget.

The same year UofL moved into the chicken bucket UK hosted a "home" game against Notre Dame at Freedom Hall for the SEC-Big East Invitational. Louisville fans were not pleased to see UK's home court in their arena and it was HILARIOUS. Troll level - expert 😆😆😆

freedom1.jpg
TBH, Freedom Hall was a GREAT venue. That place could get LOUD AS FUK. And for the most part, all good seats---I went there in 1990, or 91, cannot recall----LOuisvillle played UNLV. Man was that place rocking.

ADVERTISEMENT