ADVERTISEMENT

Nolan Smith leaving Duke to be main assistant at Louisville

I mean Nolan was born black. Thus he had no chance to ever be the head coach at Duke per coach k. Just ask Tommy amaker. Good move by him to leave. Guy was always under appreciated. Even on the national title team he was better than Scheyer but of course coach k likes Scheyer better

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: ioliva
Hopefully it means Amile Jefferson just goes from DBO (or whatever he is) into the assistant spot

I mean Nolan was born black. Thus he had no chance to ever be the head coach at Duke per coach k. Just ask Tommy amaker. Good move by him to leave. Guy was always under appreciated. Even on the national title team he was better than Scheyer but of course coach k likes Scheyer better

but he wasn’t better…

K retires and Nolan leaves. That leaves two openings, actually

My guess would be that Amile Jefferson gets promoted from special assistant to full-fledged assistant. And I'm sure Scheyer probably won't be shy on reaching out to Wojo.

Seriously? Every duke fan I know likes the move

Uhhh... I haven't seen ANYONE who likes this move, other than being happy for Nolan being able to do it. It is definitely a hit to the program... Nolan is one of the most liked dudes in college basketball, and a big plus to our bench.

Last edited:

My guess would be that Amile Jefferson gets promoted from special assistant to full-fledged assistant. And I'm sure Scheyer probably won't be shy on reaching out to Wojo.

Amile has been moved up.

Reactions: dukedevilz

Wojo would be a good hire. If Scheyer can find someone with some HC experience that would be very smart IMO.

Uhhh... I haven't seen ANYONE who likes this move, other than being happy for Nolan being able to do it. It is definitely a hit to the program... Nolan is one of the most liked dudes in college basketball, and a big plus to our bench.

I think how well liked he was took a bit of a hit when acted like such a bunch after UNC smoked them in Cameron.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Supposedly a HC from the state of NC is joining the staff. Moten??

I think how well liked he was took a bit of a hit when acted like such a bunch after UNC smoked them in Cameron.

Uh, nobody outside of Carolina fans care. Recruits and players *certainly* don't. The world is a lot bigger than small stuff like that, and Nolan Smith has been adored by high school, college, and pro players for his entire life, since he was literally a kid on his dad's knee. He has been the "kid" for dozens and dozens of players over the years, from Kevin Johnson to Juwan Howard to Ray Felton to John Starks, and went on to be the "mentor" to dozens and dozens of players after that, from Kyrie Irving to Mike Beasley to Quinn Cook. The guy is one of, if not THE, most loved players I've ever seen at Duke, either on the floor or on the bench.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steelers2012

you haven’t been on DI (and you actually know 0 duke fans in real life) Everyone’s excited about him leaving, it’s a very mutual beneficial move

So are we now saying Nolan was a drag on the Duke program? Why haven't we heard these things until now?

I love these message boards. That "people I know and talk with" sample size for sure holds up.

Reactions: RipThru
you haven’t been on DI (and you actually know 0 duke fans in real life) Everyone’s excited about him leaving, it’s a very mutual beneficial move

No, I haven't, for Duke boards I tend to read DBR, and not many people there are happy about it. Well, they are happy for Nolan, but not happy about how it impacts Duke.

As for zero Duke fans... Pis, I know it has been a while, but you DO know I actually WENT to Duke, right? And that most of my close friend group is Duke grads who tented out and have been watching for 30-40 years?

It isn't mutually beneficial. Great for Nolan, to go to Louisville and get to work with Uncle Kenny, but if you think it won't be, at least at first, a step back for Duke, you don't know what you are talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: pisgah101
No, I haven't, for Duke boards I tend to read DBR, and not many people there are happy about it.

As for zero Duke fans... Pis, I know it has been a while, but you DO know I actually WENT to Duke, right? And that most of my close friend group is Duke grads who tented out and have been watching for 30-40 years?

It isn't mutually beneficial. Great for Nolan, to go to Louisville and get to work with Uncle Kenny, but if you think it won't be, at least at first, a step back for Duke, you don't know what you are talking about.

haha after I posted that I thought oh crap Dude went to duke, sorry about that one..

I feel it’s mutual beneficial for two reasons-

1. jon can bring in an older more experienced assistant to help in the beginning. He’ll have a clean slate to pick and choose exactly what he wants.

2. Nolan gets to spread his wings outside of duke.. in the off chance that Jon sucks (I do t expect it at all) Nolan will be outside of that and still have a potential shot at a return to duke. If he sunk with the ship he’s forever tied to that

So are we now saying Nolan was a drag on the Duke program? Why haven't we heard these things until now?

I love these message boards. That "people I know and talk with" sample size for sure holds up.

nobody said he was a drag on duke. Pay attention

Uh, nobody outside of Carolina fans care. Recruits and players *certainly* don't. The world is a lot bigger than small stuff like that, and Nolan Smith has been adored by high school, college, and pro players for his entire life, since he was literally a kid on his dad's knee. He has been the "kid" for dozens and dozens of players over the years, from Kevin Johnson to Juwan Howard to Ray Felton to John Starks, and went on to be the "mentor" to dozens and dozens of players after that, from Kyrie Irving to Mike Beasley to Quinn Cook. The guy is one of, if not THE, most loved players I've ever seen at Duke, either on the floor or on the bench.
You guys can embrace sore losers and bad sports all you want. I wasn’t talking about what Duke fans think.

I know there is one particular recruit and his parents who may have cared about it a little bit.

Whoa.... take that sand out of your vagina. Ok maybe you got lots of FB friends. I could see it you are charming.

Why do so many of your comrades "like the move" I'm gonna hear you out.

as for fbook friends I missed that part… no I mean actually people you talk to and meet in life, something I’m sure you haven’t done in 2 years

ADVERTISEMENT