ADVERTISEMENT

No more warnings for flopping.

lurkeraspect84

Mar 4, 2014

The NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel approved allowing men's basketball officials to assess Class B technical fouls to players who fake being fouled, beginning in the 2022-23 season.

If a player is called for flopping, the opposing team would shoot one free throw. Previously, officials would issue a warning before assessing a technical foul in subsequent incidents judged to be flopping.

The proposal came from the NCAA Men's Basketball Rules Committee.

Committee members defined flopping as an unsporting act that occurs when a player attempts to influence an official's judgment by creating an appearance that a foul has been committed when there has been incidental or no contact.

When evaluating potential flopping situations, officials will be asked to judge whether the player's physical reaction to the contact with another player is consistent with what would have been expected, given the force of the contact. When the reaction is not consistent, the player is most likely exaggerating the nature of the contact in an attempt to gain an advantage, and flopping has occurred.

A similar proposal was made in 2021, but there were concerns in the men's basketball community that removing a warning before awarding a technical foul would not have the desired effect.

The Division I Men's Basketball Oversight Committee and the Division I Men's Basketball Competition Committee supported the concept of allowing officials to call technical fouls without warning when they determine a player has faked being fouled.

Technology rules​

The panel also approved continuing experimental technology rules for conferences to allow teams to view live video and preloaded video on their bench for the upcoming season if the conference submits a waiver request.

Conferences that choose to use this experimental rule must decide what technology can be used within its parameters.

The experimental rule will also be allowed in multiple-team events and the 2023 National Invitation Tournament.

NCAA women's basketball teams can also experiment with this technology rule during conference games for the upcoming season if the conference submits a waiver request.

Media timeouts​

Conferences as well as the National Invitation Tournament can experiment using five media timeouts on the first dead-ball situations under the 17-minute, 14-minute, 11-minute, 8-minute and 4-minute marks of the second half.

The rationale is to help the flow of the game so commercial breaks will not be taken when teams use their allotted timeouts.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
FINALLY!!! There was no reason to give a warning, everyone is already well aware of the rules. I like the time-out idea too. Give an extra media time-out in the 2nd half (5 total) but don't take commercial breaks during team time-outs, especially so end of game situations don't take 20 minutes to play 2 minutes of game time (which is especially frustrating when a game is eating into the TV time slot of the next game). Plus, it was always stupid when a team would take a time-out with say 4:01 left in the game and the very next whistle would be the under 4 minute TV time-out. So you have 2 commercial breaks sandwiched between like 2 seconds of actual game time.

They can't even get block/charge correct

.. am nerveasse

I agree. Last year Manek got a flop warning when replay showed he not only got fouled but stepped on a guy's shoe who slid his feet under him. So he gets fouled and falls BECAUSE of what in the NBA would be a flagrant on the defender and gets a flop warning. I like legit floppers being T'd up but they can't get the warning right so now they are going to be handing out techs to dudes when they screw up?

Reactions: KisteK
FINALLY!!! There was no reason to give a warning, everyone is already well aware of the rules. I like the time-out idea too. Give an extra media time-out in the 2nd half (5 total) but don't take commercial breaks during team time-outs, especially so end of game situations don't take 20 minutes to play 2 minutes of game time (which is especially frustrating when a game is eating into the TV time slot of the next game). Plus, it was always stupid when a team would take a time-out with say 4:01 left in the game and the very next whistle would be the under 4 minute TV time-out. So you have 2 commercial breaks sandwiched between like 2 seconds of actual game time.
I think the warning was dumb...

I think the technical is dumb; its a Class B tech---which means it doesn't count toward a personal foul.

Just do what I do---If I think you flopped, i just call the god damn foul on you....And then tell you---"I will call that clown shit a foul on you every time----might wanna pass that around to your teammates." Tell'em in the pre-game: "We ain't gonna put up with any of that flopping shit...Play the game---not a role---we ain't having stunt double auditons here tonight fella's...

It is humorous that this happens just when K leaves the game. The dude made flopping a mainstay in the game and is gone just when they crack down on it.

There are UNC guys as well who do it. They have a couple of perpetual head floppers. I would be more than happy if they got that out of their game. I just want it to be called equally if they do it. The flop warning was in no way applied evenly across the board.

It is humorous that this happens just when K leaves the game. The dude made flopping a mainstay in the game and is gone just when they crack down on it.

There are UNC guys as well who do it. They have a couple of perpetual head floppers. I would be more than happy if they got that out of their game. I just want it to be called equally if they do it. The flop warning was in no way applied evenly across the board.
Thats because it was at the discretion of the official(s). There was no "rule" to follow so to speak---Just basically if you felt a player flopped----you gave a warning. I might see a flop----the exactsame thing, you might not see a flop....

Making it a technical foul is foolish, IMO. A rule that has no guidelines but your own feelings/thoughts, is bad----and now you(NCAA) make it a technical? BAd, bad rule...

Thats because it was at the discretion of the official(s). There was no "rule" to follow so to speak---Just basically if you felt a player flopped----you gave a warning. I might see a flop----the exactsame thing, you might not see a flop....

Making it a technical foul is foolish, IMO. A rule that has no guidelines but your own feelings/thoughts, is bad----and now you(NCAA) make it a technical? BAd, bad rule...

Yes, anything that relies on what one 'thinks' is bad. Take away objectivity, or at least the perception of it, and you actually make an official's job harder IMO. The job is hard enough as it is.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
I think the warning was dumb...

I think the technical is dumb; its a Class B tech---which means it doesn't count toward a personal foul.

Just do what I do---If I think you flopped, i just call the god damn foul on you....And then tell you---"I will call that clown shit a foul on you every time----might wanna pass that around to your teammates." Tell'em in the pre-game: "We ain't gonna put up with any of that flopping shit...Play the game---not a role---we ain't having stunt double auditons here tonight fella's...
I agree. Call it as a personal foul, not a tech. That will put an end to it. Also can't stand when a jump shooter fakes to get his defender in the air and then lunges directly into him to get a "foul" call. That shit needs to end too. Should be an offensive foul.

I agree. Call it as a personal foul, not a tech. That will put an end to it. Also can't stand when a jump shooter fakes to get his defender in the air and then lunges directly into him to get a "foul" call. That shit needs to end too. Should be an offensive foul.
TBH, if defender jumps forward, offense lunges into him---I say ****ing play on: No call. But I agree. The rule of verticality is so abused in this instance...ON both ends.

Whats amazing, is there have never been a POE plaed on this----NO clue why not, because its a problem.

The refs will not call it. GEEZE.
Called warning a lot last year, BUT----I do think we will see the # go down---and it s b/c of the ridiculous penalty. PLus, both rules are fukin dumb. If you think a player flops, call a foul on his ass----I do. And tell him----"gonna get your ass every time you do that clown shit...."

Never seen a "rule" without any parameters/language to it. Its why making it a technical is fukin ridiculous..

I'd have to imagine they'll be reviewable. Imagine calling a technical and it wasn't a flop.

ANd the pic used....

z74yAUIw

🤣 🤣

I'd have to imagine they'll be reviewable. Imagine calling a technical and it wasn't a flop.
I doubt it...There's no official language to follow----simply "if you think.............. So in other words, if the official thinks the contact didn't warrant how you fell, well......................

Dumbest fuking rule ever.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT