ADVERTISEMENT

NIT experimental rules

rockycard

Jan 8, 2007
I hope that the NCAA adopts all four rules.

Deeper three
20 second clock after an offensive rebound
Four quarters
5 fouls per quarter before free throws

With a timeout after five minutes instead of four, the flow of the game is much better imo. Hopefully next year Louisville will be playing with the NCAA rules, and Kentucky will be doing the experimental thingy. :)

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

Deeper three
Four quarters

With a timeout after five minutes instead of four, the flow of the game is much better imo. Hopefully next year Louisville will be playing with the NCAA rules, and Kentucky will be doing the experimental thingy. :)

It's likely to be more of the same for you guys and not us. But I agree with a deeper 3 point line and going to 4 quarters.

I like the deeper three, dont like the 20 second shot clock reset, quarters with fouls Im indifferent but definitely a plus for Press Virginia!

I don't like the deeper three. I feel like it will create more bad basketball like Trae Young jacking from 40 feet.

Reactions: tw3301
I don't like the deeper three. I feel like it will create more bad basketball like Trae Young jacking from 40 feet.

As it stands the 3 ball is clearly too easy, its becoming statistically advantageous to shoot nothing but 3s and every year more and more teams adopt this way of thinking, basketball was never meant to be a 3 point competition.

As it stands the 3 ball is clearly too easy, its becoming statistically advantageous to shoot nothing but 3s and every year more and more teams adopt this way of thinking, basketball was never meant to be a 3 point competition.
I agree, but I have a hard time believing it will curtail the amount of threes attempted.

I like the three and don't care about the shot clock.

I don't like quarters because it randomizes the game more in terms of possession since it adds too extra points where the arrow controls it. I think it is probably inevitable though. I do like the foul aspect of the quarter system, though how does the 1 and 1 rule apply?

Reactions: FaithPlusOne

The NBA figured that out years ago.

I like the three and don't care about the shot clock.

I don't like quarters because it randomizes the game more in terms of possession since it adds too extra points where the arrow controls it. I think it is probably inevitable though. I do like the foul aspect of the quarter system, though how does the 1 and 1 rule apply?

I am split on the quarters aspect of it, I dont like switching something up that has been done a certain way for a long time, although shooting free throws in most games starting at about the 10 minute mark of every half is not a good brand of basketball.

Reactions: blue_in_chicago
I am split on the quarters aspect of it, I dont like switching something up that has been done a certain way for a long time, although shooting free throws in most games starting at about the 10 minute mark of every half is not a good brand of basketball.

I agree with that.

The NBA figured that out years ago.

Most guards in the NBA could shoot a solid percentage from mid court if they moved the line back that far. The NBA is just a ridiculous talent level, college should never try to mimick NBA rules, the drop off between college and NBA is beyond any other pro vs college sport.

They need to at the very least change it to 6 fouls a game before fouling out. I'm tired of seeing the best players only play a few minutes in the first half because they got 2 quick fouls. And a lot of times they questionable calls anyway.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The three point line absolutely needs to be moved back. It should have been moved years ago. It will really help create spacing and allow for guys to attack the gaps more.

Same for the widened lane. Should have been done years ago. Guys are simply longer/bigger and there is less spacing now. Need to spread people out.

They already experimented with 6 fouls in the Big East in mid-80's and games were brutal - would need to extend game time to 48 minutes.

As it is, 5 fouls for 40 minutes in NCAA is one foul every 8 minutes of game time; same as with 6 fouls for 48 minutes of game time in NBA.

If went to 6 fouls, they would certainly need to go to 4 quarters to reset the Bonus foul shooting, otherwise games could become boring FT competitions with all the extra fouling allowed...

If deepen the three, then also expand the lane.

They already experimented with 6 fouls in the Big East in mid-80's and games were brutal - would need to extend game time to 48 minutes.

As it is, 5 fouls for 40 minutes in NCAA is one foul every 8 minutes of game time; same as with 6 fouls for 48 minutes of game time in NBA.

If went to 6 fouls, they would certainly need to go to 4 quarters to reset the Bonus foul shooting, otherwise games could become boring FT competitions with all the extra fouling allowed...

If deepen the three, then also expand the lane.

Couldn't you just make it an extra foul or 2 to get to the bonus?

Deeper three
Four quarters

I love them also, especially the widened lane and NBA three point line.

Reactions: rockycard

Deeper three
Four quarters

I like everything except the deeper 3.

Couldn't you just make it an extra foul or 2 to get to the bonus?

Possibly, but the objective should be to minimize extra fouling. Teams who try not to foul as much, and are losing, would then have to foul even more just to get to the 1 and 1.

Leave the 1 and 1 after 7 team fouls (or 5 per quarter) and then at 10 team fouls a shot clock reset occurs on non-shooting fouls and taking the ball out of bounds. The defense still racks up fouls on their players but is not rewarded with automatically getting the ball back. Would force teams play better defense (of course cannot control anything about some ref's tendency to call fouls). With less than 1 minute to go, then 2 shots on non-shooting fouls...

leave the 3 point line alone
do not go to quarters
i agree with the 20 second reset

college should not be the NBA lite

Possibly, but the objective should be to minimize extra fouling. Teams who try not to foul as much, and are losing, would then have to foul even more just to get to the 1 and 1.

Leave the 1 and 1 after 7 team fouls (or 5 per quarter) and then at 10 team fouls a shot clock reset occurs on non-shooting fouls and taking the ball out of bounds. The defense still racks up fouls on their players but is not rewarded with automatically getting the ball back. Would force teams play better defense (of course cannot control anything about some ref's tendency to call fouls). With less than 1 minute to go, then 2 shots on non-shooting fouls...

Yeah but there are so many touchy fouls called in college. It seems like a good 30% of fouls I see called that when I instant replay them in slow motion could go either way.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
We should be forced to count our last game as zero since we shot like 8%.

I was shocked when I saw the final of that game. I couldn't watch most of it because my fiancee and I were meeting with our mentor couple, and it was a 20-13 lead for UNC when I left. Got out to see that UNC got waxed and Cincinnati had lost. This Tournament is absolutely bonkers, or at least half of it is.

The NBA is basically one very long 3 point shooting contest, moving it back didn't cut down on 3 point attempts at all.

Of course not, because statistically, 38% from 3 is still better than 45% from 2.

ADVERTISEMENT