ADVERTISEMENT

NIL. Good or bad for college sports?

Bad.

Its free agency on a massive scale with no real contracts or rules as near as I can tell. Might help guys stay and play college basketball. But it also incentivizes guys who are not going pro to look around for the best deal. I also think it hurts incoming kids from HS because coaches will chase down guys who have produced at the college level.

Then you will have guys wanting to renegotiate their deals when some transfer gets a bigger one. Where it can get messy. The rich alumni are not going to get near the ROI on their NIL deals they are handing out. So hopefully that will calm things down. But there is always going to be some rich alumni willing to overpay for guys.

The same players that will spend all off-season in the transfer portal with their DMs open if they don't transfer will want to come back to 100% support from fans/alumni. People will get their feelings hurt.

Last edited:
Objectively, I think it will have a negative effect on college hoops. Selfishly, I think Illinois - a big school with a huge alumni base and plenty of donor money, with a known-to-be-sleezy Chicago recruiting market in our backyard - stands to benefit more than most.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Who were the "studs" during that "timeframe"?
Dorsey, douglas-roberts, dozier, are a few off the top of my head. Im sure if i looked through their rosters more would pop out.

Again nothing proven, but some pretty damning stories, like the players dorm getting broken into and they originally claimed like 10k or something ridiculous worth or fur coats were stolen, before they amended their statements when someone realized how bad that looked.

But i get it, nothing was proven. Just like the AD thing, so you can believe what u want. In exitflaggers Gun to ur head scenario, we all know the answer you would give though.

Edit: Tyreke Evans as well, he was even rumored to be shopping around during his recruitment iirc

Last edited:
They've got a title, a runner up, and 3 final 4s? Use 20 years and you're good.
My apologies i thought the ius last title was in the 70s not 80s my bad. Im only 35 so all i remember is coverdale and company making a final four.

The free market going to work. I love this.
There are no other viable leagues in the world that run completely unregulated. - none. At this point in time CBB and CFB are operating without rules - USC and Alabama are openly poaching non- portal players now. Same has or will happen in CBB. Already a shit show and bound to get worse. It’s entertaining to watch it unfold I’ll admit but the product will suck.

Reactions: Villian07
There are no other viable leagues in the world that run completely unregulated. - none. At this point in time CBB and CFB are operating without rules - USC and Alabama are openly poaching non- portal players now. Same has or will happen in CBB. Already a shit show and bound to get worse. It’s entertaining to watch it unfold I’ll admit but the product will suck.
These players aren't employees. NCAA had their chance to put something together but they were too greedy.

The SCOTUS gave that 9-0 explanation of regulation for NIL.

I wish the players would take the NCAA back to court to get their share of the revenue, hopefully they do so because the SCOTUS sure made it look like the players were gonna win most all legal arguments.

If you aren't a fan of free markets and capitalism that is your right to be against it.

Ipartiedwithhopgood is unapologetically pro free market and pro capitalism.

So I am loving this.

I know we just hate that corruption as if there was never corruption before this.

I know we are afraid there could be beef in the locker rooms, as if there was never beef in locker rooms before this.

They had NIL last year and the season was a blast and my favorite team lost 19 games.

The sky is falling!

These players aren't employees. NCAA had their chance to put something together but they were too greedy.

The SCOTUS gave that 9-0 explanation of regulation for NIL.

I wish the players would take the NCAA back to court to get their share of the revenue, hopefully they do so because the SCOTUS sure made it look like the players were gonna win most all legal arguments.

If you aren't a fan of free markets and capitalism that is your right to be against it.

Ipartiedwithhopgood is unapologetically pro free market and pro capitalism.

So I am loving this.

I know we just hate that corruption as if there was never corruption before this.

I know we are afraid there could be beef in the locker rooms, as if there was never beef in locker rooms before this.

They had NIL last year and the season was a blast and my favorite team lost 19 games.

The sky is falling!
You assuming I thinks it’s awful. I don’t. I think it will be interesting in a car wreck is interesting kind of way. I assume you are a wild west kind of guy. The US would be a great place if it was completely free market / no rules or regulations. You’d last a couple of weeks… maybe.

You assuming I thinks it’s awful. I don’t. I think it will be interesting in a car wreck is interesting kind of way. I assume you are a wild west kind of guy. The US would be a great place if it was completely free market / no rules or regulations. You’d last a couple of weeks… maybe.
The players are not employees.

We don't regulate celebrities endorsements.

I am an unapologetic supporter of free markets and capitalism, for everybody. The market decides how this goes for these mercenaries.

The SCOTUS agree on absolutely nothing, yet somehow found a way to lean 9-0 on this.

I assume you think this is awful, because you do. You do not like the collateral damage you think free markets and capitalism are going to do to the precious game you have grown to love for decades. Somehow, all the corruption all these years in the back rooms didn't ruin it for you, but apparently NIL might.

I also believe you haven't thought this all the way through, in addition to free markets and capital for all, there actually are some positive impacts on college basketball that could be happening.

But as a fan of a game that had archaic rules forever, I can see how this is just too much for a lotta people.

Again. I'm sorry. It's over.

It's not fan friendly.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The players are not employees.

We don't regulate celebrities endorsements.

I am an unapologetic supporter of free markets and capitalism, for everybody. The market decides how this goes for these mercenaries.

The SCOTUS agree on absolutely nothing, yet somehow found a way to lean 9-0 on this.

I assume you think this is awful, because you do. You do not like the collateral damage you think free markets and capitalism are going to do to the precious game you have grown to love for decades. Somehow, all the corruption all these years in the back rooms didn't ruin it for you, but apparently NIL might.

I also believe you haven't thought this all the way through, in addition to free markets and capital for all, there actually are some positive impacts on college basketball that could be happening.

But as a fan of a game that had archaic rules forever, I can see how this is just too much for a lotta people.

Again. I'm sorry. It's over.

It's not fan friendly.
Again you are assigning an emotion to me I don’t feel. I’m not pining for anything. I’m interested in watching the fallout. I think the product will be inferior. I think that will affect payouts as the free market adjusts. That’s fine too.

I think the product will be inferior.
And my counter to that is, Bacot and Oscar have returned to school because of NIL, making the product better. These are your 2 NPOY top candidates. This doesn't include the extended list of other players staying in school for NIL that would be in the G league, overseas, or working at Target. These are good things, that can't be denied. Having good to even top players return to school that otherwise wouldn't is making the product better.

I will also counter the playing field is opening up, more programs will have chances to get top players, also rans like Miami and Memphis come to mind.

Why will the product be inferior?

And my counter to that is, Bacot and Oscar have returned to school because of NIL, making the product better. These are your 2 NPOY top candidates. This doesn't include the extended list of other players staying in school for NIL that would be in the G league, overseas, or working at Target. These are good things, that can't be denied. Having good to even top players return to school that otherwise wouldn't is making the product better.

I will also counter the playing field is opening up, more programs will have chances to get top players, also rans like Miami and Memphis come to mind.

Why will the product be inferior?
Makes it easier dominate. At least in the past you had to cheat and that alone kept it manageable.Now you have free agency and no salary cap. No team salary cap, no luxury tax, no player salary cap, no transfer rules, no rules in general. Adidas and Nike will be rolling in soon with a plan that no doubt will be a windfall for flagship schools. The competitive advantage will be insurmountable. Imagine an Adidas funded Kansas keeping an intact roster of studs for four years making NBA money. And yes they will have competition from a handful of others. It may work, it may not. I’m banking on not. And I’m not sad - it’s been sleazy for a while and now it’s legal and will still be sleazy - time for it to go away.,

Makes it easier dominate. At least in the past you had to cheat and that alone kept it manageable.Now you have free agency and no salary cap. No team salary cap, no luxury tax, no player salary cap, no transfer rules, no rules in general. Adidas and Nike will be rolling in soon with a plan that no doubt will be a windfall for flagship schools. The competitive advantage will be insurmountable. Imagine an Adidas funded Kansas keeping an intact roster of studs for four years making NBA money. And yes they will have competition from a handful of others. It may work, it may not. I’m banking on not. And I’m not sad - it’s been sleazy for a while and now it’s legal and will still be sleazy - time for it to go away.,

It's going to make things tough on mid majors and low majors. Every time they develop someone and turn them into a top tier player, they're going to transfer to a major program.

Cheating and the steering of players to the extreme to the top programs has been going on from the beginning, the difference is it's now a free market so the amount of $ the players get is decided by the market and not the NCAA archaic rules.

The top players have always selected these top programs. It is possible now with it being legal boosters from all over the country get more involved. You are talking like people in Kansas have $ but people in Alabama don't. Ridiculous. See Alabama football.

All those snowflakes that cried about Zion will at least now get a more clear picture as to how these things go down.

You just had arguably the top 2 portal dudes go to friggin Miami and Memphis. They are NOT flagship schools so that part of your argument is debunked.

For years people have cried the OAD and early NBA entry ruined the game. Now there is incentive for not just good college players, but even top ones to stay longer, and we're witnessing it happen. There is just no good argument that the product becomes inferior. The quality of play becomes unarguably better. You even get some kids getting an academic boost for all those dreamers that care about that sort of thing.

NIL existed last year. We had a Cinderella go to the E8. So the tears for smaller schools is debunked from the jump too.

Fans will be tuning in year round to follow all these off season moves. Good for the game. Increased interest, not less.

The bottom line is the haters of NIL are using pretty weak arguments against NIL. At best mild arguments. For whatever reason some fans aren't comfortable with these players getting all this $ through a free market. If the players were employees with structure and contracts, people would still complain. So some feelings are hurt. It's a shame. You hate to see it.

How do we know a mid major alum doesn't want to get in on NIL?

I was unaware all rich people that like college basketball graduated from power 6s.

I guess we better all get ready for the return of Nebraska football and the rise of Nebraska basketball since Warren Buffet went there.

😂

Last edited:
System has been massively rigged for flagship schools forever. There's a reason Saban doesn't like NIL.

Mid majors are already at a massive disadvantage so any kind of change in the system or chaos could help them.

Last mid major champ 1990. So if mid majors can't bang it in NIL they will go from never winning titles to never winning titles.

Edit maybe UCONN snuck one in maybe while moving around.

Last edited:
From now on when they talk about teams pre game the announcers are going to have to mention each team’s payroll.

• Haha
Reactions: pig1960
They damn sure better make us some video games with all this nonsense. Would make it all worth it to me 🤣 last ncaa basketball game they made louisville had samardo samuels on it lol

They damn sure better make us some video games with all this nonsense. Would make it all worth it to me 🤣 last ncaa basketball game they made louisville had samardo samuels on it lol
That would actually make me update systems. I loved those games.

It'll be great when we will have actual player names.
I cant recall the name of the ppl that do it but theres actually a site where u can download current updated rosters to the 2014 ncaa football game. Correct names, hometowns, height, weight, ratings everything. Well maybe a few small errors here and there. I had alot of fun pllaying that game again when we had teddy and then lamar with the updated roster.

I'm not against it. Players should be profiting off of a sport that they're helping to generate millions in revenue.

I do wonder about cases like Isaiah Wong, who in the end didn't enter the portal, but was openly expressing he would, for the sole purpose of securing better NIL deals. And then yesterday, there was Antoine Davis, who leveraged the system to secure deals himself. I don't like players wasting people's time. He went on four official visits... only to return back and play for his dad once more. I don't know how much the coaching staff at Kansas State invested into Antoine Davis, but their fanbase was freakishly invested in him.

Business negotiations. Probably much more disgusting in other industries outside of sport. Guys leveraging to try to make their lives better.

An opportunity for fans to re-evaluate how important this stuff should be to them.

Everyone has a choice. I f'n love this country I gotta tell ya.

Right now the market seems to be favoring the players.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Business negotiations. Probably much more disgusting in other industries outside of sport. Guys leveraging to try to make their lives better.

An opportunity for fans to re-evaluate how important this stuff should be to them.

Everyone has a choice. I f'n love this country I gotta tell ya.

Right now the market seems to be favoring the players.
My career was in Sales and Marketing. It was not disgusting at all. It was the free market.

Sports are not as straight forward as real business. We dealt with real things that were quantifiable. I dealt with honest people who were trying to make a living and make a little profit.

This free-market (if you will) can somewhat give us a glimpse to what many of these players might ultimately be after.

Looking at Davis, you'll never convince me this guy really cares about winning (a 'ship).

Glowballs, man.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT