ADVERTISEMENT

NIL. Good or bad for college sports?

Boilermaker03. It's over. I'm sorry.

If it's not in Purdue's DNA to compete at the highest level within the current rules you should be annoyed by Purdue's philosophy, not the rules.

It's business.

My argument is the rules changed because the rules should have changed, and everyone that doesn't like it can either adapt or play more golf with their free time.

My other argument is fans threatening to walk won't. But who knows Gen Z is digital maybe they do.

I"m sure Painter and all these dinosaur coaches don't like it. They are now uber drivers. They didn't all sign up for that. It's not for everybody. But I bet there's a lot of resumes turned in when all these relics exit.
Purdue is cheap. It will be 25 years before they decide to start playing the game. Joking mostly of course, but I just don't see them competing in this landscape.

Purdue is cheap. It will be 25 years before they decide to start playing the game. Joking mostly of course, but I just don't see them competing in this landscape.
There won’t be a landscape in ten years - nobody will give a shit. Outside the tourney not many do anyway. It’s gonna be interesting in a lot of locker rooms when the dude pulling in a million bucks sucks or turns full diva. I may stick around for the drama/laughs.

There won’t be a landscape in ten years - nobody will give a shit. Outside the tourney not many do anyway. It’s gonna be interesting in a lot of locker rooms when the dude pulling in a million bucks sucks or turns full diva. I may stick around for the drama/laughs.
Clearly somebody gives a shit or else there wouldn't be NIL payouts.

People said the same thing about the impact of free agency in pro sports.

The game will be here for eternity.

You're asking why it's bad that the haves will separate themselves more from the have nots? Is that a serious question?
Yes it is, of course you'll have to explain how that wasn't already the case and where's is the line at? How much is the gap going to be?

Yes it is, of course you'll have to explain how that wasn't already the case and where's is the line at? How much is the gap going to be?
And who are these "haves" ??? Are we now pretending Miami FLA is an elite basketball program? Memphis an elite program for pulling Davis from SMU? The alleged top2 transfers went to historically blah programs.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Have $$$$$$$$. Miami was already known for their football money back when they were good.

Same with memphis in Cals later years. U think rose and the studs during that timeframe went there for free lmao

they might not be historically hreat programs but they’ve shown in the past they have boosters not aftaid to spend money, cal stuff obv an assumption but miami stuff was proven to happen.

• Haha
Have $$$$$$$$. Miami was already known for their football money back when they were good.

Same with memphis in Cals later years. U think rose and the studs during that timeframe went there for free lmao

they might not be historically hreat programs but they’ve shown in the past they have boosters not aftaid to spend money, cal stuff obv an assumption but miami stuff was proven to happen.
And where exactly has that gotten them?

• Haha
Reactions: Ipartiedwithhopgood

Who were the "studs" during that "timeframe"?

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
And who are these "haves" ??? Are we now pretending Miami FLA is an elite basketball program? Memphis an elite program for pulling Davis from SMU? The alleged top2 transfers went to historically blah programs.
I think it will change some if left unchecked. Programs that were historically middling but have uber rich alums who are uber passionate about their sports teams will level the playing field a bit with the "haves".

Memphis has FedEx money. Miami has John Ruiz. Texas A&M has whoever they have. Not sure if T. Boone Pickens' family is as passionate about Oklahoma State sports as he was but if they are, OSU will be a player. Hell, if Pickens hadn't died in 2019, he might have bought a bunch of great players by now.

I'm interested to see what Phil Knight does with Oregon. He already does a lot but could easily set up a $100MM collective. Dude is worth $50 Billion and is the 24th richest person on the planet.

I think it will change some if left unchecked. Programs that were historically middling but have uber rich alums who are uber passionate about their sports teams will level the playing field a bit with the "haves".
If left unchecked. We gonna fix capitalism overall or just for some teenage kids that play sports?

So I think at first it felt like you feared the dominant programs were going to become more dominant. Sorry I misunderstood.

Now it seems like you're clarifying that more programs could become relevant by forking out the $. Still seems like they could have been doing this all these years, and maybe they were.

Yeah. $ talks. This got out of control decades ago. I guess it just didn't matter because for whatever reason we were comfortable not knowing the details that we're now getting.

I don't think having a few additional programs pulling in some top players is bad for the game. Would think this would increase fan interest.

Look at us now. Talking about college basketball long after the title game and long before next season.

If left unchecked. We gonna fix capitalism overall or just for some teenage kids that play sports?

So I think at first it felt like you feared the dominant programs were going to become more dominant. Sorry I misunderstood.

Now it seems like you're clarifying that more programs could become relevant by forking out the $. Still seems like they could have been doing this all these years, and maybe they were.

Yeah. $ talks. This got out of control decades ago. I guess it just didn't matter because for whatever reason we were comfortable not knowing the details that we're now getting.

I don't think having a few additional programs pulling in some top players is bad for the game. Would think this would increase fan interest.

Look at us now. Talking about college basketball long after the title game and long before next season.
You are pretty good with strawmen. Nice.

You are pretty good with strawmen. Nice.
If you see it that way, totally unintended.

I'm trying to hear you out.

What is your bottom line problem with NIL?

Edit - Maybe you have no problem with NIL. Confused you with the OP. This is my bad. Apologies.

Last edited:
Boilermaker03. It's over. I'm sorry.

If it's not in Purdue's DNA to compete at the highest level within the current rules you should be annoyed by Purdue's philosophy, not the rules.

It's business.

My argument is the rules changed because the rules should have changed, and everyone that doesn't like it can either adapt or play more golf with their free time.

My other argument is fans threatening to walk won't. But who knows Gen Z is digital maybe they do.

I"m sure Painter and all these dinosaur coaches don't like it. They are now uber drivers. They didn't all sign up for that. It's not for everybody. But I bet there's a lot of resumes turned in when all these relics exit.
I think it's fair to be upset by both. There are only so many billionaires and even fewer that care about CBB. It's not even going to be a contest until some rules get put in place.

Reactions: cdbearde
If you see it that way, totally unintended.

I'm trying to hear you out.

What is your bottom line problem with NIL?

Edit - Maybe you have no problem with NIL. Confused you with the OP. This is my bad. Apologies.
All good. I'm all for the players making money off their NIL but I'm frustrated that the NCAA didn't build any framework to make it at least seem above board.

The guidelines that they issued when they announced it was that programs couldn't use it for a recruiting and retention tool but that's exactly what is happening. And people like John Ruiz are literally shoving it in their faces.

I also think there are all sorts of pitfalls without a system of checks and balances. I'd wager Nijel Pack's agent made at least 10% of his $800 contract. That's $80K for a day's work. How many agents out there are going to be constantly pinging players saying they should transfer (whether they should or not) under the guise of NIL just so they can profit off of them? These are 18-21 year old young adults that will be preyed upon.

And then there is the team dynamics that could be at play.
  • How long until a player holds out from offseason workouts because they want a bigger NIL deal?
  • How likely is it that there is animosity within a team because one player is making more in NIL than a teammate considered a better player?
  • How long until we see a player (good but not NBA level) who got paid coast rather than work hard because they are sitting on a nice bank account?
It's not that I think the above can't happen without NIL. I just see it much more likely. And my favorite sport will be impacted by it negatively IMO.

The NCAA had decades to figure out how to address the above and sat on their dicks. And now that NIL is here, they are on the sidelines and appear willing to watch it burn rather than grab a bucket.

All the SEC schools were doing this illegally for years. Now its legal and people dont like it. So dumb.

Also, we all know 800k makes a huge impact on Nigel Pack, but he didnt choose to play at Akron. He is going to be in Miami, in the ACC, for a great coach and a team that just made it to the elite 8.

Where did purdue end up in their best season in program history?

• Haha
Reactions: cdbearde
Well it's not the schools that are paying. Not very many schools have billionaires like Miami's that's willing to throw $10m at athletes.
Ah, how about OSU, formed a Collective to pay ALL football, basketball, and other athletes. Or, Texas A&M, where all OL have $100,000 per year salaries ... and the team just put out north of $20 million for the top recruiting class. Bama had a QB last year that had earned $1 million dollars before HIS FIRST PRACTICE. Oklahoma just initiated a NIL group paying every football player on the roster $50,000 per season ... and that doesn't include NIL $$$ for recruits that sign. The SEC has been doing this for decades under the table ... now there is a legal method of players receiving funds. Heck, a former LSU head coach recalled how, on his first day on the job, he received "the ledger" which had the list of each player and the amount he was receiving monthly.

Clearly somebody gives a shit or else there wouldn't be NIL payouts.

People said the same thing about the impact of free agency in pro sports.

The game will be here for eternity.
Sure it will be here - in what form and how popular is the question? The multi - billion dollar money maker of CBB wasn’t always that. It wasn’t an eternity ago that the tourney was a minor attraction that wasn’t even televised live. The facade of the amateur is now cleanly stripped away. The idea that the player chose to play for Hometown U is stripped away. I sure as hell don’t watch CBB to see high level competition - the actual level of play is poor compared to the NBA which is light years better from a talent perspective. I watch it to root for my team - the current environment laid bare the reality that it’s a joke and has been for some time. Again I’m thrilled the players are getting money. They better make it while it lasts.

Sure it will be here - in what form and how popular is the question? The multi - billion dollar money maker of CBB wasn’t always that. It wasn’t an eternity ago that the tourney was a minor attraction that wasn’t even televised live. The facade of the amateur is now cleanly stripped away. The idea that the player chose to play for Hometown U is stripped away. I sure as hell don’t watch CBB to see high level competition - the actual level of play is poor compared to the NBA which is light years better from a talent perspective. I watch it to root for my team - the current environment laid bare the reality that it’s a joke and has been for some time. Again I’m thrilled the players are getting money. They better make it while it lasts.
All this isn't a recent revelation. As you would want it, It's been over. I'm sorry.

Ah, how about OSU, formed a Collective to pay ALL football, basketball, and other athletes. Or, Texas A&M, where all OL have $100,000 per year salaries ... and the team just put out north of $20 million for the top recruiting class. Bama had a QB last year that had earned $1 million dollars before HIS FIRST PRACTICE. Oklahoma just initiated a NIL group paying every football player on the roster $50,000 per season ... and that doesn't include NIL $$$ for recruits that sign. The SEC has been doing this for decades under the table ... now there is a legal method of players receiving funds. Heck, a former LSU head coach recalled how, on his first day on the job, he received "the ledger" which had the list of each player and the amount he was receiving monthly.
That money should all be coming from boosters though. Not from the school itself right?

That money should all be coming from boosters though. Not from the school itself right?
Correct ... all of the money comes from "collectives" or organizations formed independent in every manner from the university itself. OSU has Urban as chairman of a recently formed collective ... they raise funds from alums etc. Corporations can also establish NIL deals, and they generally do it as a form of advertising.

I love it. These kids should max their value. This is capitalism working in America.

I don't care one way or the other but I'm not sure he is going to get more somewhere else.

I think Lifebox or whoever they are has already called his bluff so we will see what happens.

I don't care one way or the other but I'm not sure he is going to get more somewhere else.

I think Lifebox or whoever they are has already called his bluff so we will see what happens.
I love this too. Let the market handle it. If he is at his ceiling, then in addition to having a NIL, he's also learning about how the business world works.

Correct ... all of the money comes from "collectives" or organizations formed independent in every manner from the university itself. OSU has Urban as chairman of a recently formed collective ... they raise funds from alums etc. Corporations can also establish NIL deals, and they generally do it as a form of advertising.
Yes. This is all well and good, but even OSU wasn't able to compete with Miami's billionaire.

The difference is there is collective bargaining that sets pay levels in most pro sports.
These college basketball players aren't employees so there's that difference too.
So the market decides. This is the American Dream right before our very eyes out in the open. But not fan friendly. The bright side, those rich assholes aren't gonna get that ROI in most instances. Then again, they don't care. They are rich assholes.

As for locker room trouble? Good. Hopefully they put it on Twitter for us.

These college basketball players aren't employees so there's that difference too.
So the market decides. This is the American Dream right before our very eyes out in the open. But not fan friendly. The bright side, those rich assholes aren't gonna get that ROI in most instances. Then again, they don't care. They are rich assholes.

I like the way you think.

BowedInfamousBeetle-size_restricted.gif

Isaiah Wong and Nijel Pack be like......

X7lF.gif

ADVERTISEMENT