ADVERTISEMENT

NIL cap

Exactly what should the max amount of $/year from NIL be?
The NCAA does not trump the U.S. Supreme Court rulings.

If you set a limit retroactively a suit would happen and the Supreme Court will rule based on law and not the NCAA "rules".

Plus the NCAA "Rules" only apply against certain schools. The rest get to walk.

Tree fitty
loch-ness.gif

I think the cat is out of the bag. They could have set limits if they didn’t kick the can down the road the last 30 years.

Years ago, they should have done royalties on jerseys and such, allowed social media payments, and regulated appearances and autograph signings. The best players would have made a healthy living north of 6 figures and everyone would have made something. If they had done that, the suit probably doesn’t happen. Instead, the NCAA sat on their dicks.

They can’t set a limit on $, but I’m guessing they will try to implement some rules of engagement on how it can be used in recruiting. Good luck trying to enforce those rules, however.
No shit, like the effin fbi had to do it for em last time. Stupid mfers just gonna banter along so they can still get paid too

The NCAA does not trump the U.S. Supreme Court rulings.

If you set a limit retroactively a suit would happen and the Supreme Court will rule based on law and not the NCAA "rules".

Plus the NCAA "Rules" only apply against certain schools. The rest get to walk.

I don’t think setting a team cap would violate the law. That’s no different than setting a cap on scholarship players or number of games played in a season. The NCAA is a membership organization and organizations can create and enforce rules on their members.

That’s very different than preventing individuals from making money on their name/image.

• Wow
Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I don’t think setting a team cap would violate the law. That’s no different than setting a cap on scholarship players or number of games played in a season. The NCAA is a membership organization and organizations can create and enforce rules on their members.

That’s very different than preventing individuals from making money on their name/image.
The NCAA would not allow the NIL. The U.S. Supreme Court said they could not do that and forced the NIL.

Now you are telling me that the organization that said they could not do it can now put constraints or limit NIL? Wow.

The NCAA is an organization of schools. They have rules not laws. The only thing that they can do is rule if they want to punish schools or people for not following their rules and if they don't follow the rules they can punish them or kick them out. It is not laws. The rules are not law, thence NIL. The NCAA has no legal standing in court.

Maybe the Supreme Court may go along with limits to NIL, but I will probably be dead before it gets back to the court.

Another rule is the NBA restricting a man to be 20 years old before they draft him. Not law just a rule. It someone sues it will be overturned as a person is legal at 18. You cannot refuse him a job based on age. You don't have to hire him but he is supposed to be considered. Sorry.

The NCAA would not allow the NIL. The U.S. Supreme Court said they could not do that and forced the NIL.

Now you are telling me that the organization that said they could not do it can now put constraints or limit NIL? Wow.

The NCAA is an organization of schools. They have rules not laws. The only thing that they can do is rule if they want to punish schools or people for not following their rules and if they don't follow the rules they can punish them or kick them out. It is not laws. The rules are not law, thence NIL. The NCAA has no legal standing in court.

Maybe the Supreme Court may go along with limits to NIL, but I will probably be dead before it gets back to the court.

Another rule is the NBA restricting a man to be 20 years old before they draft him. Not law just a rule. It someone sues it will be overturned as a person is legal at 18. You cannot refuse him a job based on age. You don't have to hire him but he is supposed to be considered. Sorry.

Im not quite sure what you’re arguing. But yes that’s the point. The NCAA can make rules for its member institutions. It cannot dictate personal revenue for citizens.

That’s why the Supreme Court told them they had to allow NIL. But that doesn’t mean they can’t have a collective rule regarding NIL.

Im not quite sure what you’re arguing. But yes that’s the point. The NCAA can make rules for its member institutions. It cannot dictate personal revenue for citizens.

That’s why the Supreme Court told them they had to allow NIL. But that doesn’t mean they can’t have a collective rule regarding NIL.
Then they could set caps on Coaches salaries also, right?

Not to be the devil's advocate, but the NCAA said a player could not make money on his image and name, yet after that being stripped away from the NCAA they can now limit the NIL?

I just don't see the rationale for that. I may be wrong.

Not to be the devil's advocate, but the NCAA said a player could not make money on his image and name, yet after that being stripped away from the NCAA they can now limit the NIL?

I agree, but maybe I’m not understanding the opposing argument.

I think the NCAA has the power to try and limit how direct the involvement of boosters can be in recruiting with NIL or how directly involved the schools would be in getting the players paid through NIL. As of right now, the schools aren’t “directly” involved as far as I know and I think the big boosters like Ruiz would fight the NCAA in court if they had to.

The NCAA will try to set up a framework (something they should have done years ago at least as a contingency), but it’s now going to be a big challenge because the cat is already out of the bag. I do also wonder about how effective they can be on enforcement.

I think the NCAA has the power to try and limit how direct the involvement of boosters can be in recruiting with NIL or how directly involved the schools would be in getting the players paid through NIL. As of right now, the schools aren’t “directly” involved as far as I know and I think the big boosters like Ruiz would fight the NCAA in court if they had to.

The NCAA will try to set up a framework (something they should have done years ago at least as a contingency), but it’s now going to be a big challenge because the cat is already out of the bag. I do also wonder about how effective they can be on enforcement.
Yes.

Good post.

The NCAA trampled on the players rights for decades and decades before it got litigated and made its way to the top court. I don't see how the NCAA plans to limit contact or the amount of money without infringing on their rights again. Even the government cannot put caps on salaries, yet the NCAA wants to cap NIL deals.

Can the NCAA tell me that because I am a UK fan or that you being a UNC fan that we cannot have contact with some kid that may end up going to Kentucky or North Carolina? If you and I had a friend who wants to make an NIL deal with that kid, do we lose our rights to free assembly/association because of the NCAA rule (not law)?

As you said the "cat is out of the bag".

Additionally, I can see the Supreme Court really coming after the NCAA if they snub their ruling by gutting its results.

I'm not an attorneybut I did stay at a Holiday Inn .."

NIL deals are 3rd party and therefore the schools are not involved in the transfer of money to athletes. I do see how the NCAA can regulate or limit NIL because there is no money given by schools.

NIL deals are 3rd party and therefore the schools are not involved in the transfer of money to athletes. I do see how the NCAA can regulate or limit NIL because there is no money given by schools.
That was the initial point. Name Image and Likeness. Players make money off all those in any way possible.

These players have worked their tails off. They should get paid. Now, should they go to the highest bidder....of course they should just like the UT football player.

They probably couldn’t limit a single person’s salary. But all the members could collectively agree to create a cap of let’s say “$25M” of collective coaches salary who can be active for game days.

Member based organizations can create collectively bargained rules that members agree on.

Yes.

Good post.

The NCAA trampled on the players rights for decades and decades before it got litigated and made its way to the top court. I don't see how the NCAA plans to limit contact or the amount of money without infringing on their rights again. Even the government cannot put caps on salaries, yet the NCAA wants to cap NIL deals.

Can the NCAA tell me that because I am a UK fan or that you being a UNC fan that we cannot have contact with some kid that may end up going to Kentucky or North Carolina? If you and I had a friend who wants to make an NIL deal with that kid, do we lose our rights to free assembly/association because of the NCAA rule (not law)?

As you said the "cat is out of the bag".

Additionally, I can see the Supreme Court really coming after the NCAA if they snub their ruling by gutting its results.

I'm not an attorneybut I did stay at a Holiday Inn .."

NIL deals aren’t the same as salaries. That’s an important nuance.

The NFL can’t regulate how big of an endorsement deal a player signs with Pepsi. But they can regulate a salary cap for the organizations that willingly choose to be a member of the NFL.

This has turned into a shit show. The boosters and schools have ruined this within 1 year, lol

Throwing out a million bucks to high school kids who are unproven, lmfao

Much like the financial markets, this will level out. Boosters will get sick of throwing money at kids that suck.

This has turned into a shit show. The boosters and schools have ruined this within 1 year, lol

Throwing out a million bucks to high school kids who are unproven, lmfao

Much like the financial markets, this will level out. Boosters will get sick of throwing money at kids that suck.
Most of the blame can be placed on the NCAA for being so behind the curve. States started coming up with their own legislation and the NCAA was left scrambling to catch up. Now it's just a free-for-all and whatever regulations the NCAA comes up with in the coming years to try and somewhat level the playing field it will be too late and likely unenforceable anyway. Amateur athletics as we once knew them are long gone and not coming back unless you're talking about the high school level and below.

Most of the blame can be placed on the NCAA for being so behind the curve. States started coming up with their own legislation and the NCAA was left scrambling to catch up. Now it's just a free-for-all and whatever regulations the NCAA comes up with in the coming years to try and somewhat level the playing field it will be too late and likely unenforceable anyway. Amateur athletics as we once knew them are long gone and not coming back unless you're talking about the high school level and below.

Oh yeah, this is out of the NCAAs control now. The market will dictate the money.

I think at some point, the NIL will be at odds with the schools. The money spent on NIL is money that could have been donations to the ADs.

Sadly you are right though. Growing up watching and loving college basketball in the 80s and watching the NBA kill the sport and now NIL and the transfer portal putting the dirt on the grave of CBB, sucks.

Oh yeah, this is out of the NCAAs control now. The market will dictate the money.

I think at some point, the NIL will be at odds with the schools. The money spent on NIL is money that could have been donations to the ADs.

Sadly you are right though. Growing up watching and loving college basketball in the 80s and watching the NBA kill the sport and now NIL and the transfer portal putting the dirt on the grave of CBB, sucks.
I agree Hawkit, this could well be the beginning of the end for our beloved College sports.

Reactions: hawkit3113
The problem with "restrictions" is that some schools will follow them and others won't. The cat's out of the bag and it's going to be almost impossible to go backwards at this point.

Personally I'm glad that the payments are all out there for public knowledge, no more shady dealings and cheated title teams. Everyone is on an even playing field while players are getting what they deserve.

As it should be.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT