ADVERTISEMENT

NFL: Dalvin Cook Holding Out

Deathclutch

Nov 24, 2009

I like Dalvin, but it's not really worth giving a RB a huge deal, unless he is a generational type talent. Not to mention, Alexander Mattison looked pretty good in a backup role as a rookie last year. Don't see the Vikes caving in this one.

Isn’t he seeking an extension, not changing the deal? Cousins just got an extension on his deal, right?
I have no idea what he’s after.
If he signed a 4 year contract, then honor it & go play your 4 years. If he only wanted a 3 year contract, then that’s what he should’ve signed. Really tired of these pampered athletes demanding shit all the time. If they don’t like the millions of dollars that they’re getting paid, go try working at McDonald’s or Walmart.

I have no idea what he’s after.
If he signed a 4 year contract, then honor it & go play your 4 years. If he only wanted a 3 year contract, then that’s what he should’ve signed. Really tired of these pampered athletes demanding shit all the time. If they don’t like the millions of dollars that they’re getting paid, go try working at McDonald’s or Walmart.

Contract extensions are a very common part of most businesses that work on multi-year contracts. It’s a way to ensure there is no last minute snafus or missed deadlines. He’s not saying “change the deal of my previous contract” just like Kirk Cousins wasn’t saying that when he received his extension.

Isn’t he seeking an extension, not changing the deal? Cousins just got an extension on his deal, right?
QB is much more important than RB. The league has proven this over the last 5 years.

Sit out. See how well that worked out for Leveon Bell. Lost 14 mil.

Contract extensions are a very common part of most businesses that work on multi-year contracts. It’s a way to ensure there is no last minute snafus or missed deadlines. He’s not saying “change the deal of my previous contract” just like Kirk Cousins wasn’t saying that when he received his extension.
I understand how contract extension work.
If he signed a 4 year contract & has only played 3, then he’s breaking the contract by holding out till he gets an extension.
If he wants to play the last year of his contract & work on getting an extension, Great, more power to him.
But if he sits out the last year to gain power to get an extension, then piss on him & let him go get a real job.

Running backs really only have one shot to get a huge payday. And that’s on the contract after their rookie contract, bc teams rarely draft running backs high in the draft bc their careers are generally shorter than any other position bc of the amount of hits they take.

I didn’t look at what his demands were but if Kirk Cousins is making 30 million/a year, I’d be pissed if I was Cook as well at “only” getting 1.3 million/year. Just gonna be hard for him bc he’s already had a major injury and the RB position has never had less value. I know cooks no where near as old but if Minnesota can live with parting ways with Adrian Peterson a few years ago, hard to believe they will re-sign Cook.

Reactions: GE Nole
Running backs really only have one shot to get a huge payday. And that’s on the contract after their rookie contract, bc teams rarely draft running backs high in the draft bc their careers are generally shorter than any other position bc of the amount of hits they take.

I didn’t look at what his demands were but if Kirk Cousins is making 30 million/a year, I’d be pissed if I was Cook as well at “only” getting 1.3 million/year. Just gonna be hard for him bc he’s already had a major injury and the RB position has never had less value. I know cooks no where near as old but if Minnesota can live with parting ways with Adrian Peterson a few years ago, hard to believe they will re-sign Cook.

I think this is well said. I can see them meeting in the middle somewhere around $7-8 million.

Running back is the hardest position in the sport to evaluate as far worthiness of a long term deal or not. I like Dalvin, but he's been hurt already and RB's typically don't produce at an elite level the closer they get to 30. Todd Gurley's deal probably scares the shit out of GMs

Reactions: jhmossy
Nobody, other than people that have him on their fantasy football roster and Vikings fans, cares.

Yeah, I just realized I posted this on the wrong board. No wonder I didn't see the thread on Soundoff.

giphy.gif

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
If teams can cut players to avoid paying contracts, players should be able to hold out and renegotiate. It's business. He's also not breaking his contract if he holds out, anyway. I have a contract for my job, but I can choose to leave my employer at anytime for a competitor. Professional athletes, for the most part, cannot. I can also decide to hold out for a better contract. My problem is that I am not unique enough in my industry to place those kinds of demands on my employer. I am far more easily replaced than Dalvin Cook is, otherwise you'd bet your ass I'd be holding out if I could.

Reactions: GE Nole
If teams can cut players to avoid paying contracts, players should be able to hold out and renegotiate. It's business. He's also not breaking his contract if he holds out, anyway. I have a contract for my job, but I can choose to leave my employer at anytime for a competitor. Professional athletes, for the most part, cannot. I can also decide to hold out for a better contract. My problem is that I am not unique enough in my industry to place those kinds of demands on my employer. I am far more easily replaced than Dalvin Cook is, otherwise you'd bet your ass I'd be holding out if I could.

Exactly.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
Running back is the hardest position in the sport to evaluate as far worthiness of a long term deal or not. I like Dalvin, but he's been hurt already and RB's typically don't produce at an elite level the closer they get to 30. Todd Gurley's deal probably scares the shit out of GMs

I think you’re right about Todd Gurley scaring folks. But at the same time, plenty of tread left on the tires of a 24 year old.

Honor the deal that him & his agent agreed to or go get a 9-5 job.
In the real world I would agree that you live up to your contract but NFL contracts are not worth the paper they are written on.The team can end the agreement at their discretion.Why should a player be bound to a contract when the team isn’t?

Reactions: theetommyt
The problem with him and the Vikings are that they are pretty tight against the salary cap.I don’t think they have any room to add any big ticket contract

He is a top 5 rb already but gets injured too often to deserve it.

My only issue with Cook is he is injury prone. That being said, the average career of a RB in the NFL only lasts 2-3 years. They have to make as much as they can, while they can.

The problem with him and the Vikings are that they are pretty tight against the salary cap.I don’t think they have any room to add any big ticket contract

Surprised at that, especially after trading Diggs

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT