ADVERTISEMENT

New Rule Changes

Dirt Road Boiler

Gold Member
Sep 6, 2016
Indiana
Team
Purdue
Everyone seems to be interested in the 3PT line being moved back but most guys were shooting it from way behind the line anyways (Thxs Steph). The 2 or 3 3pt lines on courts might confuse a kid in the heat of the moment but I think the biggest new rule change is the flopping technical. I seen the warning then the tech issued for it in 3 different games last night. I'm a fan of it but like PI in football it's a judgement call by the zebra. I could see this causing a huge issue at some point this season.

I like the no flopping call, all I hope for is that they call it all season long, you can see its a flop quite easily,

rather rewarding the flopper with FT attempts now they get a T and the team gets FT's and the ball, this will put a stop to it and hopefully stops coaches from from coaching this and starts to coach his players the proper way to play defense.

Reactions: MGC_07
The no flopping rule is good but they need to be careful with it. If a player falls down to let you know he was actually hit with some force, that shouldn’t get a warning or a technical. The rule is meant to stop wild exaggerations, not embellishment.

I’m worried because Cuse got a warning for a flop that was very much borderline, imo.

Just make the 3 point line the same as the NBA to get rid of the confusion.
actually the new College line is further out than the NBA.

the thing is today's players are stronger and if you watch most don't come close to the college 3 point line anyway.

No it’s not
read the reports. of the distances. the only players that will be affected are the ones that barely made them from the original line.

if you watched the majority of the 3's were taken way past the original arc.

the original idea behind the arc was to open up the paint and create more freedom of movement, so much for that. defense will simply pack the lane again. then dare teams to beat them from 3. Iowa opponent in that scrimmage shot over 34 3's.

this is a bad thing going forward.

now the next two things they need to do is widen the lane and widen the court by two feet

read the reports. of the distances. the only players that will be affected are the ones that barely made them from the original line.

the original idea behind the arc was to open up the paint and create more freedom of movement, so much for that. defense will simply pack the lane again. then dare teams to beat them from 3. Iowa opponent in that scrimmage shot over 34 3's.

The new college line is not deeper than the nba line

You're awesome.

No need to give proof when it's common knowledge to basketball fans. Is this your first season following college basketball?
since I get my info from other sites that is what I use, been following BB for over 60 years and have seen many changes thru out the years.
the new line was used last year in the NIT as a test,.

the NIT is used as the test for rule changes, then they get feed back from the Coaches and players on the pro's and con's then make the changes based off that feed back, they also get feed back from the officials on how it will affect the game.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I'm not crazy about the new 3 point line or the 20 second shot clock after a rebound. Just feels more like a push towards NBA. I don't want to watch NBA light. I want to watch College basketball.

Reactions: CB3UK
I'm not crazy about the new 3 point line or the 20 second shot clock after a rebound. Just feels more like a push towards NBA. I don't want to watch NBA light. I want to watch College basketball.

The lines confuse the players.
The refs are constantly reviewing to see if theyre behind the line.

Used to be only "3 point shooters" shot 3s.

Now the whole damn team does.
Push it back so maybe it will inspire players to work more on their mid-range shot.

I like both the rule changes, and college basketball will not be NBA lite. The 3 pt line was moved back to reduce the number of 3's taken per game, and the reduced shot clock on a offensive rebound keeps the game moving.
NBA has gone full hard-on for 3's:
18 attempts per game in 2009
21 attempts per game in 2014
32 attempts per game in 2019

No way we will see numbers like that in college ball.

Fewer three point attempts will not be a bad thing going forward. I expect there to still be too many threes. I'd be fine taking the line out another 6-10 inches.

The lines confuse the players.
The refs are constantly reviewing to see if theyre behind the line.

Used to be only "3 point shooters" shot 3s.

Now the whole damn team does.
Push it back so maybe it will inspire players to work more on their mid-range shot.
Won't happen. All it will do is stretch the floor and give the more athletic teams the advantage.

I like both the rule changes, and college basketball will not be NBA lite. The 3 pt line was moved back to reduce the number of 3's taken per game, and the reduced shot clock on a offensive rebound keeps the game moving.
NBA has gone full hard-on for 3's:
18 attempts per game in 2009
21 attempts per game in 2014
32 attempts per game in 2019

No way we will see numbers like that in college ball.
According to numbers provided by the NCAA, the average number of 3-point shots attempted has grown from 9.2 in 1987 — the first year the 3-point arc was installed — to 21.9 in 2018.

It's not that far off now...

Everyone seems to be interested in the 3PT line being moved back but most guys were shooting it from way behind the line anyways (Thxs Steph). The 2 or 3 3pt lines on courts might confuse a kid in the heat of the moment but I think the biggest new rule change is the flopping technical. I seen the warning then the tech issued for it in 3 different games last night. I'm a fan of it but like PI in football it's a judgement call by the zebra. I could see this causing a huge issue at some point this season.

IMO instead of a warning just keep playing. Once teams learn a guy isn't effective on his back it will stop.

According to numbers provided by the NCAA, the average number of 3-point shots attempted has grown from 9.2 in 1987 — the first year the 3-point arc was installed — to 21.9 in 2018.

It's not that far off now...
Yes, over the span of 30 years, 3 point shooting has increased. It's still nowhere near the increase the NBA has seen in the last 10 years.

I really like the change to 20 seconds on the clock after offensive rebounds. The rest of the rule changes, I’m not sure I’ve noticed a significant difference.

Yes, over the span of 30 years, 3 point shooting has increased. It's still nowhere near the increase the NBA has seen in the last 10 years.
There a lot more NCAA teams than NBA teams. If you look at the best teams at shooting the 3, they are way up there. For example, Villanova last year averaged 30 three point attempts per game. Purdue shot 27.1 per game. Auburn averaged 30.8. There are teams shooting a lot of 3's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT