Marshall (RV)

Ivy League:
Penn (RV)

SoCon:
Furman (RV)

A10:
Davidson (RV)

Wofford nor Elon RV? But I.....

I honestly dont think Duke should jump ahead of Kansas yet. Sure their win against Kentucky was impressive, but Kentucky was quite horrible that day. Kansas was quite good too, holding off Michigan State in a close match that wasnt really that close until the final minute. Id understand the logic if Kansas played nobody, but they were coming off a quality win as well.

I honestly dont think Duke should jump ahead of Kansas yet. Sure their win against Kentucky was impressive, but Kentucky was quite horrible that day. Kansas was quite good too, holding off Michigan State in a close match that wasnt really that close until the final minute. Id understand the logic if Kansas played nobody, but they were coming off a quality win as well.
I think Kansas came into the season #1 and didn't do anything to lose that ranking. But it is 2018, all about the hype train. It would be hard to hype Duke up to be the best team ever if you're not saying they're the best team this year.

Duke beat a team ranked higher than them and Kentucky was favored. Kansas beat a 10th ranked team by 4. K could’ve beaten Kentucky by 50, but he’s getting softer as he ages!

I wouldn’t have an issue with KU still at #1, but you can’t be surprised that Duke is there either based on their performance.

at the end of the day you don't EARN a pre-season ranking. You earn it when you start playing. Based on that I have no problem with the voters putting Duke ahead of Kansas since they've easily been the more impressive looking team so far. Pre-season rankings should have little to no bearing on the 2nd week rankings IMO.

at the end of the day you don't EARN a pre-season ranking. You earn it when you start playing. Based on that I have no problem with the voters putting Duke ahead of Kansas since they've easily been the more impressive looking team so far. Pre-season rankings should have little to no bearing on the 2nd week rankings IMO.
Preseason rankings are useless.

I don’t really think any other team but Duke would have jumped KU even if the results were the same. You are still using preseason rankings to justify moving them up, which doesn’t make sense. The hype has to manufacture itself in some way though. They are definitely looking good. I think it is reasonable to have a number of teams #1 based on results so far and Duke is certainly one of them.

Duke should be #1 based on the limited body of work so far. Opinion of Kansas didn't drop, Opinion of Duke just moved up.
This. I agree 100%. My opinion of Kansas has not changed one bit, I think we are one of the best teams in the country. But if I am going off body of work so far, Duke is my number 1 team in the country. The fact that they didn't get all the first place votes goes to show that some of these pollsters know dick about college basketball.

for context.....in 1989 we were unranked going into the preseason NIT...we beat number 1 UNLV and number 2 LSU in route to the championship. next poll we were ranked 4th.

Duke and KU are on higher level than everyone else right now. I’d give 50% to one if the two winning NC right now.

Duke and KU are on higher level than everyone else right now. I’d give 50% to one if the two winning NC right now.
No they won't. Tennessee will avenge you.:)

The season has started, just sayin...
I'm aware, I'm just saying preseason rankings are useless. Week 2 rankings are slightly better than useless but I start paying attention to rankings once conference play has begun.

Agreed. There should be movement early in the polls

No they won't. Tennessee will avenge you.:)
I agree Rick Barnes to the rescue, he has a VERY good record against Kansas...
giphy.gif

I think the biggest reason Duke jumped to #1 over Kansas is because we played and won 2 games last week whereas Kansas only played and won 1 game. It definitely doesn’t take anything away from Kansas though because they’re still a great team this year.

No problem with Duke leap frogging. They looked real damn good whereas we looked ok.

If I were a Kansas fan, I would be pretty damn mad right now. Y’all are the real number 1. After 2 games how can just jump Kansas?

Well to be fair, Kentucky was one of the three favorites going into the season (with KU & Duke), so to see one beat the other by plus 30 was the major reason-
I, like many other reasonable uk fans knew we would get our ass beat by duke. They will probably go unbeaten. That doesn’t mean Kansas should just relinquish the top dog spot because we laid an egg.

ADVERTISEMENT