ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA tourney INJURY tracker

WeAreDePaul

Gold Member
Dec 5, 2017
Figured it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can track all the key injuries as we try and fill out our brackets this week.

Off the top of my head....

UCLA = Jaylen Clark out for the tourney. Aden Bona has a shoulder injury and missed yesterday's game. Status for this weekend still up in the air.

Houston = Sasser appears to have pulled his groin. No timetable yet. A pulled groin could easily take him out of the tourney depending on severity.

Kansas = Looks like Bill Self will be good to go, but still no official update. McCullar missed BIg12 fianl with back spasms.

Miami = starting center Omier had to be helped off the court this weekend, does not look good.

Xavier = Freemantle is out for the tourney

Tennessee = starting PG what's his name is out for the tourney

Kentucky = Wheeler appears to be out at least another 1-2 weeks. Wallace played but looked severely limited.

Arkansas = Brazile has been out for a while and is a massive loss

Virginia = Vanderplauss is out for the tourey

Last edited:
Figured it would be a good idea to have a thread where we can track all the key injuries as we try and fill out our brackets this week.

Tennessee = starting PG Zeigler is out for the tourney

Kentucky = Wheeler appears to be out at least another 1-2 weeks. Wallace played but looked severely limited.

I think North Carolina is at full strength.

giphy.gif

Texas' Timmy Allen missed the Big 12 Tournament. Leg injury isn't supposed to keep him out of the big dance. Though, perhaps Texas had better floor spacing without Allen on the court, who obviously isn't a threat from deep.

Baylor's Langston Love has an eye injury. He missed the last two games, which were both against Iowa State. Might be back this week.

USC's Iwuchukwu missed the last regular season game and the Pac-12 tournament because of back issues. Not sure what his status is for the NCAAs.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Sasser and Omier are both really critical to some bracket decisions, IMO.

And the sad thing is, picks have to be in before Thursday at 12:15 p.m. I seriously doubt either school will announce the status of Sasser or Omier before then.

Houston has been my pick to win it all from day one. Haven't wavered in that at all. If they don't have Sasser they could definitely struggle against a high-octane offense in Iowa - or playing Auburn, with the support of a home crowd.

Miami without Omier is certainly liable to losing to Drake in the 1st Round. With him their ceiling is very high; good enough to make a Final Four, IMO.

And the sad thing is, picks have to be in before Thursday at 12:15 p.m. I seriously doubt either school will announce the status of Sasser or Omier before then.

Houston has been my pick to win it all from day one. Haven't wavered in that at all. If they don't have Sasser they could definitely struggle against a high-octane offense in Iowa - or playing Auburn, with the support of a home crowd.

Miami without Omier is certainly liable to losing to Drake in the 1st Round. With him their ceiling is very high; good enough to make a Final Four, IMO.
I’ve been high on Houston all year, but if sasser is gone for the tourney they have little to no shot. Memphis boat raced them and Texas will do much worse if they aren’t at full strength. Them getting Texas in Kansas City after getting auburn in Alabama sucks for Houston. I know they didn’t want to put ku in the Midwest but Kansas City is b12 country and I feel Texas will draw better there than Houston will (even though it’s a direct flight from both cities).

Kevin McCullar is expected to practice today or tomorrow. Would not expect him to miss any of the games for KU. Back spasms are debilitating but can usually go away after a few days.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
I’ve been high on Houston all year, but if sasser is gone for the tourney they have little to no shot. Memphis boat raced them and Texas will do much worse if they aren’t at full strength. Them getting Texas in Kansas City after getting auburn in Alabama sucks for Houston. I know they didn’t want to put ku in the Midwest but Kansas City is b12 country and I feel Texas will draw better there than Houston will (even though it’s a direct flight from both cities).

I agree that without Sasser, Houston is in serious trouble. Not lose to the 16 seed trouble, but lose in the second round trouble. And even if they make it out of Bama, how does Sasser’s groin hold up for a Sweet 16 and Elite 8 game in 40 hours? Idk. Just seems like what was once a safe play is now really risky.

Could Houston still make a deep run? Sure. But the odds of a second round exit just went up significantly.

Miami seems like they could be carried by Wong and Jordan Miller through the first weekend. That’s two gritty veterans. But to make it beyond the Sweet 16 they likely need Norchad.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter

I mean… Sasser probably doesn’t warm up for the B12 tournament if he isn’t really close right? They won’t need him round 1. I hope the injury scares people off them so I don’t have to worry about game theory.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Kevin McCullar is expected to practice today or tomorrow. Would not expect him to miss any of the games for KU. Back spasms are debilitating but can usually go away after a few days.

Jalen Hood-Schifino for IU missed the entire month of Dec with back spasms, didn't see the floor against you guys which contributed to that embarrassing loss.

Seems like a tough injury to play through, I'm sure the needles available from medical staff for players can get them through games.

I think I pulled a hammy after lunch....does that count?
Bama has a full roster.

• Haha
Reactions: ThePhog08

Off the top of my head....

UCLA = Jaylen Clark out for the tourney. Aden Bona has a shoulder injury and missed yesterday's game. Status for this weekend still up in the air.

Houston = Sasser appears to have pulled his groin. No timetable yet. A pulled groin could easily take him out of the tourney depending on severity.

Kansas = Looks like Bill Self will be good to go, but still no official update. McCullar missed BIg12 fianl with back spasms.

Miami = starting center Omier had to be helped off the court this weekend, does not look good.

Xavier = Freemantle is out for the tourney

Tennessee = starting PG what's his name is out for the tourney

Virginia = Vanderplauss is out for the tourey
It appears Wheeler is practicing. Good news as UK has definitely missed him.

McCullar back spasms completely gone he says. He’s good to go.

Self did not do the press conference today for KU. Norm Roberts handled it. Players said Self will coach tomorrow. Based on the Heart Catheterization procedure he had last week the recovery time is usually a week. Would not be surprised if he sits out tomorrow but coaches Saturday instead.

Self did not do the press conference today for KU. Norm Roberts handled it. Players said Self will coach tomorrow. Based on the Heart Catheterization procedure he had last week the recovery time is usually a week. Would not be surprised if he sits out tomorrow but coaches Saturday instead.
You just answered a question I just now asked in another thread.

@ExitFlagger nevermind

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha

In 2010 I had open heart surgery on a Friday. I went home Monday and the following Monday I ran a meeting of my commission. A heart catheterization, at the least in Kentucky, is an out patient procedure. The only big danger is the artery where they place the cathers needs to heal a few days.

I think Self will be more than ready.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
In 2010 I had open heart surgery on a Friday. I went home Monday and the following Monday I ran a meeting of my commission. A heart catheterization, at the least in Kentucky, is an out patient procedure. The only big danger is the artery where they place the cathers needs to heal a few days.

I think Self will be more than ready.

Self not coaching today which is no surprise to me. 7 days since surgery. This weekend will be really telling on whether Self coaches this tournament or not.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
ADVERTISEMENT