ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Targeting KU?

As I said in another thread, Gary Parrish with CBS Sports was on a sports radio show here in Kansas City with Soren Petro who is a bit of a KU homer. Parrish insisted on talking about the Adidas scandal, and the impact it was going to have on the Kansas program. Petro did everything he could to steer the conversation away and Parrish wasn't having it, stating that the NCAA was going to come down much harder on Kansas then it had Missouri recently for the tutoring scandal. That the FBI and IRS involvement was going to make it impossible for the NCAA to allow KU go free and he envisions vacating wins, including some Big XII titles, post-season ban, and loss of scholarships.

As a cynic who has watched UNC get away with murder, I personally have a hard time believing it. Blue bloods get to play by different rules then everyone else, and coaches like Bill Self know it so they play the game that way.

As I said in another thread, Gary Parrish with CBS Sports was on a sports radio show here in Kansas City with Soren Petro who is a bit of a KU homer. Parrish insisted on talking about the Adidas scandal, and the impact it was going to have on the Kansas program. Petro did everything he could to steer the conversation away and Parrish wasn't having it, stating that the NCAA was going to come down much harder on Kansas then it had Missouri recently for the tutoring scandal. That the FBI and IRS involvement was going to make it impossible for the NCAA to allow KU go free and he envisions vacating wins, including some Big XII titles, post-season ban, and loss of scholarships.

As a cynic who has watched UNC get away with murder, I personally have a hard time believing it. Blue bloods get to play by different rules then everyone else, and coaches like Bill Self know it so they play the game that way.

That would be an infinitely more severe punishment than Missouri's, considering, you know, they aren't in the habit of making the tourney or winning conference titles. And have never appeared in the final four.

Reactions: gocats5611
New day same story.

tenor.gif

now it gets interesting to see if the NCAA really has any balls to do something.

That would be an infinitely more severe punishment than Missouri's, considering, you know, they aren't in the habit of making the tourney or winning conference titles. And have never appeared in the final four.
Okay.. now that was funny. Lol. That would be like telling the Cornhuskers their team can't go to the NCAA tournament you're saying?
5c1.gif

It is interesting to see the take that KU might have asked for this to happen by pushing the De Sousa eligibility thing. I thought Bill Self's response was pretty galling, considering he typically is much smarter then that. He may feel untouchable ( a possibility). On the outside it does appear pretty unfair to this kid. I've never believed really in punishing the student for these kinds of things, especially if programs were (even through backchannels) connecting prospects with these guys. So many of these young guys come from homes where a few thousand dollars will make all the difference in the world for their families, or their moms. Bill isn't wrong on that one, and I respect his take. But it was a pretty brazen response for someone who could ultimately be liable, or his program could be.

Last edited:
Sometimes you even wonder what these kids know, or their families know about the rules.

I'm reminded of an episode of "George Lopez" where George was letting a couple of scouts into his home for a young man who his daughter was dating that he was a guardian for. Dante Culpepper and Donovan McNabb guest starred as Pro-football scouts for their teams trying to convince him to sigh, as well as a minor league baseball team. George accepted a check from the baseball guy as a bribe to get him to sign with his baseball team, thus destroying his chances of going to college and playing as a student athlete. George didn't know anything about those rules, which is certainly easy to believe for any of these guys. I think probably they do know you can't accept bribes to sign with a certain school, but then maybe they don't?

Regardless who should be the ones to pay for these kinds of activities? The kids? Hardly in my opinion.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nike-s...gship-nike-basketball-programs-212410675.html

A trove of documents were submitted by defense lawyers this week to Judge Lewis Kaplan ahead of the sentencing of three men found guilty of conspiracy in the federal trial of corruption in college basketball. The filings include sheafs of letters vouching for the character of former Adidas executive James Gatto, Adidas consultant Merl Code Jr. and aspiring agent Christian Dawkins – standard fare in an attempt to gain sentencing leniency from the court. But the filings also include snippets of evidence entered at trial, some of which revive an old, dormant question in the 16-month-old case.

Did other shoe companies beyond Adidas also buy players for their flagship schools?

Code, who worked for 14 years at industry leader Nike before moving to Adidas, said his former employer was in the business of brokering deals between basketball programs and recruits. “Nike schools pay too,” Code said in a conversation recorded by federal investigators on June 20, 2017. In the same conversation, Code names several of the most prominent programs in the country that are outfitted by Nike.

“It’s a corrupt space as it is and cheating is cheating,” Code is quoted as saying in the transcript. “Whether I give you a dollar, 100,000, or I get your mom and dad jobs, it’s cheating. … So in some form or fashion, Duke, North Carolina, Syracuse, Kentucky and all of the schools are doing something to help get kids. That’s just a part of the space.”

South Carolina-based attorney Andrew Mathias, part of Code’s defense team, declined comment on behalf of his client Friday.

“Now, if I have an Adidas kid who is high on my radar and he goes to Kentucky or Duke, I just, to just make sure that we have managed the relationship enough that we maintained, because again I told you, those factors at Kentucky,” Code is quoted as saying, before an unintelligible part of the recording. “So you continue to stay in contact. … I’m trying to go to the games. I’m trying to meet them on the road. … I need to be visible and present.

“And if the kid is that important, I need to be there. Right. Because I need to fight off somebody because the out of sight, out of mind is really in play here. Because you have guys who are going to camp, send people to move into their city … they’re going to walk around with book bags like they’re going to class. They’re going to walk to class with the kid every day. It is a mess because there’s so much money involved.”

Whether all the letters and evidence and sentencing arguments submitted by the defense lawyers will have any sway over Kaplan remains to be seen. It seems like a long shot, since much of it appears to be an attempt to relitigate a trial the defense already lost, and Kaplan took a hard line throughout the proceedings.

Doesn’t seem like they are. I think it happens all the time at every school. Kansas included.
Sounds like they are at least a little concerned because of the "booster" tag they agreed to. Also sounds like the NCAA was indeed trying to set them up for a full blown investigation.

Sounds like they are at least a little concerned because of the "booster" tag they agreed to. Also sounds like the NCAA was indeed trying to set them up for a full blown investigation.
I missed where they agreed to that.

Petro went to Syracuse but is a Kansas homer?

What’s the back story on the KU hate. If I’m remembering right you started numerous thread about KU. I could link them if you needed.
Going to go out on a limb here and guess he lives in Kansas based solely on his user name.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
What’s the back story on the KU hate. If I’m remembering right you started numerous thread about KU. I could link them if you needed.

No hate, really. Just living in KS it’s always the first thing on local sports talk etc. Ku b-ball is the biggest draw in the state so their news is always top headline. I just bring that news here to the board.

No hate, really. Just living in KS it’s always the first thing on local sports talk etc. Ku b-ball is the biggest draw in the state so their news is always top headline. I just bring that news here to the board.
And a grateful board thanks you for your service. If Kansas players weren't constantly slapping women and throwing crippled kids down flights of stairs while counting their millions from adidas we wouldn't have these stories, it's not hate to share them.

And a grateful board thanks you for your service. If Kansas players weren't constantly slapping women and throwing crippled kids down flights of stairs while counting their millions from adidas we wouldn't have these stories, it's not hate to share them.

I’m sure there are more unreported cases out there
maggette_duke.jpg

I’m sure there are more unreported cases out there
maggette_duke.jpg
maybe, hard to say 20 years later. for some weird reason these Kansas stories keep coming out as they happen with photos and witnesses.

ADVERTISEMENT