ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Should Scrap Non-Conference Schedules for College Basketball This Season

Noahtogo24

Jan 6, 2015

One mid-major college basketball program has been shut down 52 days since mid-July due to coronavirus-related issues.

Another school practiced six times after a 14-day quarantine before being hit with another 14-day isolation because of a second player testing positive for COVID-19.

A different program was shut down for 14 days this week after one player tested positive and his roommates were contact-traced.

It’s going to be difficult enough to play a conference schedule, never mind trying to figure out a non-league slate in which everyone’s COVID rules and protocols aren’t consistent. And we haven’t even really thought about the referees bouncing from game to game and league to league.

The NCAA needs to see the writing on the wall, have some foresight and act intelligently. Want a visual? Just take a quick glance at four SEC football games being postponed this weekend. If the Alabama-LSU game isn’t happening, how the hell will ASUN and SWAC men’s basketball pull off non-league contests?

Scrap the non-conference schedule now, Dan Gavitt and the NCAA. Pretty please.

We can still start the college basketball season in a couple weeks, but this would allow conferences to have more time to try and play a full league slate. You’d have four months to try and get in as many league games as you can — up to 25.

Of 125 D-1 head basketball coaches polled, 30 percent told Stadium that they have already — or are currently — shut down for at least 14 days. Seven programs have been shut down twice.

“It’s irresponsible,” one high-major head coach told me about the current approach. “But people only care about money.”

Another high-major head coach told me that a mid-December start would allow players to go home for Thanksgiving and spend time with their families.

“Let them go home since they can’t go home for Christmas,” he said. “I worry about the mental health of these kids.”

The start of the regular season is less than two weeks away, and only about one-third of the schools have finished their schedules. I spoke to one of the best officials in the country on Thursday, and he doesn’t have a single game assigned yet.

Even ESPN scrapped its plans for the multi-team events down in Orlando because of the protocol inconsistencies across leagues and schools. Stetson already had to postpone its season-opener against Miami. New Iona coach Rick Pitino will have to do the same after his program halted everything on Thursday following a positive test.

Don’t get greedy. Let’s just hope and pray for a 20-game league schedule this season followed by an NCAA Tournament.

It’s not going to be fair and equitable, but these kids need a season.

And don’t ask me, “How can the NCAA Selection Committee fairly choose a 68-team field?”

One idea would be to use historical data to pre-determine the number of bids, and even the seeding, for each conference. This approach, which takes into account the number of bids from 2015-19, has been floated by Matt Dover and Colton Houston of HD Intelligence to several athletic directors and the NCAA.

Here are the proposed bids by league:

ACC: 7
Big Ten: 7
Big 12: 6
Big East: 6
SEC: 6
Pac-12: 4
AAC: 3
A-10: 3
MW: 2
WCC: 2
Other 22 conferences: 1 apiece

The other change I might make is to give the six high-major leagues one fewer automatic bid, and give the NCAA Selection Committee the freedom to utilize those as wild cards.

For example, they could still elect to give the ACC seven bids, but they’d also be able to give a league like the SoCon a pair of spots if, say, UNCG and Furman were both dominant. These leagues obviously won’t have the same non-conference opportunities to be able to build a resume with any wins over high-majors.

You can disagree with the system to rate equality for an NCAA Tournament bid all you want. Let’s just get to the point in the season where we can have those bubble discussions, and that means cutting down on the potential issues.

Thus far, the vast majority of the low- and mid-major leagues have opted to go with a league schedule in which they will play back-to-back days at the same site against the same opponent, which cuts down on travel. The Mountain West went to that model this past week, with the only alteration being that there will be a one-day break between games.

No, it’s not equitable, but as Gavitt told me months ago, nothing will be equitable this season.

It means everyone has to get in a handful of road trips in order to complete a 20-game league schedule. If you want to play more conference games, have at it. And the leagues can figure out the seeding process to determine a league champion, or whether they will go forward with a conference tournament. The Big South has already decided to go with a system that weighs victories 75 percent and games played 25 percent, so a team that goes 15-4 would be seeded higher than one that finishes 10-0.

Again, you can argue with the plans for seeding conference tournaments, and complain about teams being left out of the field of 68 this season. Let’s just get to the point where we can have those conversations — and the best way for that to happen is to have conference-only schedules.

Basketball isn't like football...

You don't have positions

Someone can remember who the other team was..
But Bama played a game in some tournament a few years back with 4 guys on the court for the last 6? Minutes

Better make sure your walk ons and mangers can play if need be.

One mid-major college basketball program has been shut down 52 days since mid-July due to coronavirus-related issues.

Another school practiced six times after a 14-day quarantine before being hit with another 14-day isolation because of a second player testing positive for COVID-19.

A different program was shut down for 14 days this week after one player tested positive and his roommates were contact-traced.

It’s going to be difficult enough to play a conference schedule, never mind trying to figure out a non-league slate in which everyone’s COVID rules and protocols aren’t consistent. And we haven’t even really thought about the referees bouncing from game to game and league to league.

The NCAA needs to see the writing on the wall, have some foresight and act intelligently. Want a visual? Just take a quick glance at four SEC football games being postponed this weekend. If the Alabama-LSU game isn’t happening, how the hell will ASUN and SWAC men’s basketball pull off non-league contests?

Scrap the non-conference schedule now, Dan Gavitt and the NCAA. Pretty please.

We can still start the college basketball season in a couple weeks, but this would allow conferences to have more time to try and play a full league slate. You’d have four months to try and get in as many league games as you can — up to 25.

Of 125 D-1 head basketball coaches polled, 30 percent told Stadium that they have already — or are currently — shut down for at least 14 days. Seven programs have been shut down twice.

“It’s irresponsible,” one high-major head coach told me about the current approach. “But people only care about money.”

Another high-major head coach told me that a mid-December start would allow players to go home for Thanksgiving and spend time with their families.

“Let them go home since they can’t go home for Christmas,” he said. “I worry about the mental health of these kids.”

The start of the regular season is less than two weeks away, and only about one-third of the schools have finished their schedules. I spoke to one of the best officials in the country on Thursday, and he doesn’t have a single game assigned yet.

Even ESPN scrapped its plans for the multi-team events down in Orlando because of the protocol inconsistencies across leagues and schools. Stetson already had to postpone its season-opener against Miami. New Iona coach Rick Pitino will have to do the same after his program halted everything on Thursday following a positive test.

Don’t get greedy. Let’s just hope and pray for a 20-game league schedule this season followed by an NCAA Tournament.

It’s not going to be fair and equitable, but these kids need a season.

And don’t ask me, “How can the NCAA Selection Committee fairly choose a 68-team field?”

One idea would be to use historical data to pre-determine the number of bids, and even the seeding, for each conference. This approach, which takes into account the number of bids from 2015-19, has been floated by Matt Dover and Colton Houston of HD Intelligence to several athletic directors and the NCAA.

Here are the proposed bids by league:

ACC: 7
Big Ten: 7
Big 12: 6
Big East: 6
SEC: 6
Pac-12: 4
AAC: 3
A-10: 3
MW: 2
WCC: 2
Other 22 conferences: 1 apiece

The other change I might make is to give the six high-major leagues one fewer automatic bid, and give the NCAA Selection Committee the freedom to utilize those as wild cards.

For example, they could still elect to give the ACC seven bids, but they’d also be able to give a league like the SoCon a pair of spots if, say, UNCG and Furman were both dominant. These leagues obviously won’t have the same non-conference opportunities to be able to build a resume with any wins over high-majors.

You can disagree with the system to rate equality for an NCAA Tournament bid all you want. Let’s just get to the point in the season where we can have those bubble discussions, and that means cutting down on the potential issues.

Thus far, the vast majority of the low- and mid-major leagues have opted to go with a league schedule in which they will play back-to-back days at the same site against the same opponent, which cuts down on travel. The Mountain West went to that model this past week, with the only alteration being that there will be a one-day break between games.

No, it’s not equitable, but as Gavitt told me months ago, nothing will be equitable this season.

It means everyone has to get in a handful of road trips in order to complete a 20-game league schedule. If you want to play more conference games, have at it. And the leagues can figure out the seeding process to determine a league champion, or whether they will go forward with a conference tournament. The Big South has already decided to go with a system that weighs victories 75 percent and games played 25 percent, so a team that goes 15-4 would be seeded higher than one that finishes 10-0.

Again, you can argue with the plans for seeding conference tournaments, and complain about teams being left out of the field of 68 this season. Let’s just get to the point where we can have those conversations — and the best way for that to happen is to have conference-only schedules.
Big Ten will have more than 7.

It is the smaller schools you worry about.

I’m not worried about Kansas playing Gonzaga, UK, and Tennessee. That is no different than playing conference opponents. It is the mid major schools that can’t test like we can. I imagine Gonzaga has plenty of money for its basketball program.

Reactions: I am stupid
Every one but the ineligible teams? Play league regular season however many games normally played. Seed ALL teams for conference tournament 1-xx. Only ONE round of byes to make brackets even. After 2 rounds, all teams left are qualified for expanded NCAA tournament. The conferences then continue to play with remaining games determining seeding. If a regular season highly ranked team is upset in conference round 1 or 2, SO SAD SUCKS TO BE YOU. Play in the leftover NIT.

I’m not worried about Kansas playing Gonzaga, UK, and Tennessee. That is no different than playing conference opponents. It is the mid major schools that can’t test like we can. I imagine Gonzaga has plenty of money for its basketball program.
This is the problem. Its why the NCAA should fukin help. A buddy of mind is a trainer at a small D1 school. Said they allocated $100K for testing----but are now fearing they'll far exceed that. He said if they do, coupled with losses already from football, they'd probably have to cancel.

Also said there are some schools that are expected pay up to---$500K. Thats insane. I asked about insurance, and he said insurance is rewquired to cover the test IF you show symptons, been exposed. But they are not required to pick up the tab for what they call, "surveillance testing".

Also, you gotta think of the officals as well. We are also required to test 3X's a week-- at a minimum. Now the NCAA has advised that conference's/assigning agencies, etc, etc...to help determine how to manage cost.

Yeah, sure---Okay. I've had some conference's tell us,and assignors---Its strictly volunteer. No one is forcing yo to take gmes. Yeah the good ole',"You're an independent contractor, thingy...."

Same thing with NAIA games I have worked. Of course the NAIA is separate. But they have always followed NCAA protocol, rules, etc, etc....

So think of this: I work two games at the NAIA level. COVID test cost around $75. Now if I have back to back games---that is good.Would only need one test. But if I have a game on Monday........then again on Thursday, I will have to test twice. NAIA doesn't pay that great, MOF, some pay less than a $100. I ain't paying $150, to make $200 or so....Not including gas, food, etc, etc...

Its starting to cause issues...I have been called 4x's now to fill for officials cancelling...I know of two buddies who are strictly HS guys, who were called at the last minute, just so the teams could play.

We should also lower the speed limit to a modest 8 mph. If we can save 20 more lives, it will be worth it. To not act now would be irresponsible.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
We should also lower the speed limit to a modest 8 mph. If we can save 20 more lives, it will be worth it. To not act now would be irresponsible.
Actually, that would probably cause more deaths....For one, people would have such road rage, mudder****ers would start shooting one another...

Secondly, slower traffic causes a ton f accidents. Buddy of mine works as an accident reconstructionist...Said its amazing how many accidents have been cause don HWY's, etc, etc...b/c people driving to slow...

BTW, I get your point...

Reactions: dukedevilz
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT