ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Commission on College Basketball

The fundamental draw is the teams playing rather than the individuals on a roster. There will always be a college basketball top 25 and clashes between the higher ranked teams will command interest. Stars will be heralded based on how they perform against the competition.

In theory, not in practice.

People want to see the next big thing. Ben Simmons year at LSU is a prime example.

LSU probably pulled in more cash (from basketball) that year than any since Shaq. Ticket sales were up, they got games on ESPN, and Ben was a topic on every ESPN talk show 1000x over.

That team was worse than probably a dozen mid majors that never got the least bit of attention, and didn’t sniff the NCAA tourney.

Reactions: Montana81
Some of you people are ridiculous. Anthony Davis would be so much better off right now if he had a Journalism degree hanging from his wall instead of 75 million in his bank account by going pro 3 years earlier.

Reactions: GE Nole
There primary defense was that it wasn't even in the scope of what the NCAA has a right to get involved with.

100% correct. UNC told the NCAA that this wasn’t your problem. If the NCAA proved impermissible benefits occurred we would of got smacked.

Disagree. The threat of a locked scholarship would make a school back away from a sham recruitment of a player with no academic interest. If he wants to get paid immediately, there are already options available. It's basically telling a player that college is not a vestibule before going pro. You've stated your view, so there's no need to reply.

College itself is actually one of the biggest shams going.

They are going to try and fix literally every problem except the problem that will solve all the others. Pay the damn players you are getting rich off of. Olympic model is the only thing that makes sense.

There are a lot of people...and I mean a lot...who go to school when they don't want to. That argument is really a non-starter and I don't have any sympathy for anyone who is "forced" to learn stuff. Like...at all.

Another reason @Silent Banjo is misguided is because he's assuming all one and done players don't care about academics, don't go to class and are unhappy to be in school. However, that's definitely not always the case. Ask Demarcus Cousins if he's happy he went to Kentucky today. It'd probably be a much different response than he would've gave at age 17.

471b4d7743cdf304c78f83469245433b--home-basketball-court-basketball-kentucky.jpg

REGARDLESS, this whole debate isn't about merits of one and done. It's about corruption and the commission's CYA announcement.
You seem to be using a lot of "exception proves the rule" arguments to advance your case. Here you're talking about a few OADs to suggest most don't scrap their education as soon as their one year of playing ball ends and earlier you used Gates and Zuckerberg (two geniuses) to suggest that pursuing a degree is not that big a deal. What next? Will you use Superman as an example to suggest wearing a Kevlar jacket during a drug raid isn't a sensible course of action?

I'd never contend that OADs are the sole cause of corruption or even that the practice has to end. I'm advocating that kids be allowed to enter the draft straight out of high school. Obviously, that's an NBA issue, but if the league won't relax that measure, college ball should make freshmen ineligible, thus assuring that their incoming athletes are there to actually focus on studies. Whenever a player elects to go pro is his business, but ideally the gush of OADs will slow to a trickle, as the rosters will be composed more of players putting education first.

In theory, not in practice.

People want to see the next big thing. Ben Simmons year at LSU is a prime example.

LSU probably pulled in more cash (from basketball) that year than any since Shaq. Ticket sales were up, they got games on ESPN, and Ben was a topic on every ESPN talk show 1000x over.

That team was worse than probably a dozen mid majors that never got the least bit of attention, and didn’t sniff the NCAA tourney.
I think you're dismissing the ability of ESPN and other media outlets to promote "phenoms" and generate interest in games. Needless to say, there are fervid team supporters who will come out or watch on TV regardless of who's on the lineup. Furthermore, if these talents are so great they should have the right to make money for themselves rather than earn nothing and provide riches for a few and manufacture $$$$ for others.

You seem to be using a lot of "exception proves the rule" arguments to advance your case. Here you're talking about a few OADs to suggest most don't scrap their education as soon as their one year of playing ball ends and earlier you used Gates and Zuckerberg (two geniuses) to suggest that pursuing a degree is not that big a deal. What next? Will you use Superman as an example to suggest wearing a Kevlar jacket during a drug raid isn't a sensible course of action?

I'd never contend that OADs are the sole cause of corruption or even that the practice has to end. I'm advocating that kids be allowed to enter the draft straight out of high school. Obviously, that's an NBA issue, but if the league won't relax that measure, college ball should make freshmen ineligible, thus assuring that their incoming athletes are there to actually focus on studies. Whenever a player elects to go pro is his business, but ideally the gush of OADs will slow to a trickle, as the rosters will be composed more of players putting education first.

not even gonna try

"In theory, Wednesday was supposed to be a big day in college hoops. It was the day that Condoleezza Rice and her “Commission on College Basketball” released its findings, after digging into the sport for the last nine months. The commission was put together shortly after the FBI probe hit back in September, and during that time it was clear something had to change in college basketball.

The question was what would that change be? We got the answer on Wednesday, and unfortunately, the committee’s “findings” were the most disappointing thing to hit college basketball since Virginia’s loss as a No. 1 seed in the NCAA Tournament." -
Aaron Torres

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/bask...nd-the-issues-that-plague-college-basketball/

They are going to try and fix literally every problem except the problem that will solve all the others. Pay the damn players you are getting rich off of. Olympic model is the only thing that makes sense.
No. If they want paid. Go to the G league

College itself is actually one of the biggest shams going.
^^This. Its highway robbery on an epic level. Things being taught have almost no bearing on success in certain fields except for the pesky pre-reqs. I would say 50% of the requirements are a joke. Education reform and what is being taught needs major reform.

100% correct. UNC told the NCAA that this wasn’t your problem. If the NCAA proved impermissible benefits occurred we would of got smacked.

But the reason why you didn't was because UNC stated the fake classes were offered to all students instead of just athletes (although althetes made up a large % of the classes) therefore deeming it not an impermissible benefit.

Reactions: KyFaninNC
But the reason why you didn't was because UNC stated the fake classes were offered to all students instead of just athletes (although althetes made up a large % of the classes) therefore deeming it not an impermissible benefit.

You basically said what I said in so many words.

Condi Rice is a nobody??Nice try. I’ll take her word over anything that comes out of Chapel Hill.

Where was she when the NCAA made their ruling? Her word and your opinion don't mean much but you like to rehash this a lot hoping the outcome will change.

No. If they want paid. Go to the G league
This is such an un-American stance to take. There is no legitimate reason any adult in America should not be able to profit off of their own likeness. Especially while a billion dollar organization gets rich off their abilities.

This is such an un-American stance to take. There is no legitimate reason any adult in America should not be able to profit off of their own likeness. Especially while a billion dollar organization gets rich off their abilities.
Exactly!! They are not being forced to go to college. If they want to get paid, go to work. You don’t freakin get paid to go to school.

Where was she when the NCAA made their ruling? Her word and your opinion don't mean much but you like to rehash this a lot hoping the outcome will change.
Nah. Outcome won’t change. I complimented you guys many times. You stood up to the NCAA and they blinked. Bravo! You did it. Be proud. Great job. But the whole world knows the truth, the committee confirmed it. You cheated and found s loophole. Not being punished don’t mean you are innocent.

Nah. Outcome won’t change. I complimented you guys many times. You stood up to the NCAA and they blinked. Bravo! You did it. Be proud. Great job. But the whole world knows the truth, the committee confirmed it. You cheated and found s loophole. Not being punished don’t mean you are innocent.

Yeah it does, just accept it.

Finally, the Commission recommends that the NCAA revise and clarify its role in addressing academic fraud or misconduct by member institutions and make application of those rules consistent.

The NCAA must have jurisdiction to address academic fraud and misconduct to the extent that it affects student-athletes' eligibility. Member institutions can no longer be permitted to defend a fraud or misconduct case on the ground that all students, not just athletes, were permitted to "benefit" from that fraud or misconduct
Interesting. I wonder what this is in reference to.

There primary defense was that it wasn't even in the scope of what the NCAA has a right to get involved with.

Even though they already did get involved when FSU did the exact same thing on a massively smaller scale.

One thing I don’t get—why only allow guys to come back if they don’t get drafted? Why not just have everyone in college basketball be eligible to drafted, and anyone who wants to come back can?

If a guy gets picked 2nd round and would rather come back for his junior year, he can. The drafting team can retain his rights until the next draft.

Wouldn’t the NCAA be happy that people are choosing to come back to college?

I agree. I’m just saying, I want Bobby B to get his wins back. And Hamilton for that matter.

I don't blame you.

They have been wrong in a number of cases against other schools. I have defended schools when even other UNC fans say they should go down (even Duke and UK). It is one reason I'm just not going to listen to a bunch of it from people. They had their chance to talk and chose not to listen. So when they decide to keep talking they are kind of out of their lane at this point. They just wanted us to do down because they dislike us, just like UNC fans wanted them to go down because they don't like them.

Reactions: GE Nole
One thing I don’t get—why only allow guys to come back if they don’t get drafted? Why not just have everyone in college basketball be eligible to drafted, and anyone who wants to come back can?

If a guy gets picked 2nd round and would rather come back for his junior year, he can. The drafting team can retain his rights until the next draft.

Wouldn’t the NCAA be happy that people are choosing to come back to college?

The NBA would try to put a stop to that. I wouldn't blame them either. It would be ridiculously unfair to an NBA team to draft a guy and for that guy to go back to school. Even if they retained their rights it would be a terrible for them. It isn't baseball with the huge farm system and huge numbers of players who all need to develop for years. Some teams may only have a 2nd round draft pick in some years.

I get what you are saying from the NCAA perspective though. I don't see where it would hurt them or why they should really care.

The NBA would try to put a stop to that. I wouldn't blame them either. It would be ridiculously unfair to an NBA team to draft a guy and for that guy to go back to school. Even if they retained their rights it would be a terrible for them. It isn't baseball with the huge farm system and huge numbers of players who all need to develop for years. Some teams may only have a 2nd round draft pick in some years.

I get what you are saying from the NCAA perspective though. I don't see where it would hurt them or why they should really care.

Fair enough on the NBA not liking it. So maybe the NCAA should threaten that in order to have leverage to end OAD?

Even so, I still say just make everyone draft eligible. You don’t have to declare. Anyone can be drafted. And if you aren’t drafted, anyone can come back to school.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT