ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Commission on College Basketball

So basically the commission includes bureaucrats and shoe companies, but didn't include any current or present athletes, coaches or programs. I'm sure financial interests between the two parties never came into consideration in any of this.

These relationships include:
  • Apparel companies and other commercial entities, to establish an environment where they can support programs in a transparent way, but not become an inappropriate or distorting influence on the game, recruits or their families.
  • Nonscholastic basketball, with a focus on the appropriate involvement of college coaches and others.
  • Agents or advisors, with an emphasis on how students and their families can get legitimate advice without being taken advantage of, defrauded or risking their NCAA eligibility.

My guess is the following will happen

This commission will formally request that the NBA repeal the OAD rule and replace with a choice to make the jump from HS or play a minimum of 2 years collegiate or overseas.

The commission will recommend that the NCAA allow official school apparel companies such as Nike, UA, Addidas be allowed to pay a player for their likeness.

The commission will recommend that players be allowed to work with agents prior to declaring for the draft.

Last edited:
Reactions: Quavarius
what I would like to see them do is like they do in Baseball. let them go thru the draft process with out signing with agent.
this would allow players to see where or if they get drafted then decide to come back or in the case of HS SR's to go to college if they are not drafted in the 1st round.

in baseball HS SR's get drafted then they can either go pro or go to college, if they choose college they can't be drafted again till after their graduating class has been out of school for 3 years.
RSSO or True JR

Reactions: wrbchWolfPack81
I don’t know... Marty Dempsey, Condi Rice, Grant Hill, David Robinson, John Thompson... there are a number of people on this commission that I respect and have skin in the game while not having skin in the game, your know? I’ll be curious to see what they recommend.

Some solid proposals on the table. I particularly like the stiffer penalties like lifetime bans for coaches caught cheating and 5 year postseason bans for programs caught cheating. Also, if the NBA refuses to change its draft eligibility rule, making first year players ineligible, and locking scholarships for 3 or 4 years if a player leaves after 1 year.

The best and easiest recommendation the committee made was to allow underclassmen who declare for the draft to go through the draft and retain their eligibility should they not be selected or sign a professional contract. The only restrictions are that the player must return to the same school and request an evaluation from the NBA’s Undergraduate Advisory Committee.

“The NCAA must have the jurisdiction to address academic fraud and misconduct to the extent that it affects student athletes’ eligibility. Member institutions can no longer be permitted to defend a fraud or misconduct case on the ground that all students, not just athletes, were permitted to ‘benefit’ from that fraud or misconduct.”

Lmao.

Some solid proposals on the table. I particularly like the stiffer penalties like lifetime bans for coaches caught cheating and 5 year postseason bans for programs caught cheating. Also, if the NBA refuses to change its draft eligibility rule, making first year players ineligible, and locking scholarships for 3 or 4 years if a player leaves after 1 year.

Locking scholarships is absurd. You punish a school/program because a kid wants to go get paid like he should have been able to do all along? It then takes away a scholarship from another kid who needs it. It seems to actually run against everything the NCAA should stand for.

Locking scholarships is absurd. You punish a school/program because a kid wants to go get paid like he should have been able to do all along? It then takes away a scholarship from another kid who needs it. It seems to actually run against everything the NCAA should stand for.
Disagree. The threat of a locked scholarship would make a school back away from a sham recruitment of a player with no academic interest. If he wants to get paid immediately, there are already options available. It's basically telling a player that college is not a vestibule before going pro. You've stated your view, so there's no need to reply.

Basically, NCAA calls for NBA to end the one and done and maybe players can return to college if not drafted.

Money well spent.

"Certified" agent idea is laughable and will be a paper work annoyance.

Of course the majority of their focus is spent on one and done, arguing that it's the root cause of their problems. This argument is basically like saying, "We can't control any of this, it's the NBA's fault!"

"One-and-done has played a significant role in corrupting and destabilizing college basketball, restricting the freedom of choice of players, and undermining the relationship of college basketball to the mission of higher education. Elite high school players with NBA prospects and no interest in a college degree should not be “forced” to attend college, often for less than a year."

Interesting. Very interesting. The problem with this is that cheating in college basketball far pre-dates the one and done rule. And on principle, there are all kinds of people "forced to attend college" for employers. My point is, the one and done rule is not the systemic root of corruption in college basketball. With or with out it, shoe companies still stand to make a fortune off college basketball.

Let's call the commission what it is: a bullshit panel put together to make Mark Emmert look like he's doing something in the wake of the biggest wave of scandals to hit college basketball since CCNY in 1951. Recommendations lack teeth and any real vision. He's a terrible leader. Should be removed.

Disagree. The threat of a locked scholarship would make a school back away from a sham recruitment of a player with no academic interest. It's basically telling a player that college is not a vestibule before going pro. You've stated your view, so there's no need to reply.

College is a vestibule before going pro

...with the implicit understanding that you're pursuing a degree.
colleges are for getting a education 1st NOT a one year stop to the pro's.

it is people like you has this screwed up Idea that its nothing but the pro's minor league farm system.

It has nothing to do with education or corruption. Millions of people are forced to attend college. Some people ITT like the idea because they think it'd benefit their program. But it won't.

Reactions: xWVU2010x
colleges are for getting a education 1st NOT a one year stop to the pro's.

it is people like you has this screwed up Idea that its nothing but the pro's minor league farm system.
Don't worry, none of these reforms would affect Iowa's juggernaut status.

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...resents-formal-recommendations-300636282.html

Some interesting stuff there...

About OAD...

First, we must separate the collegiate track from the professional track by ending one-and-done. We call on the NBA and the NBPA, who exclusively have the power here, to once again make 18-year-olds eligible for the NBA draft so that high school players who are drafted may proceed directly to the NBA. Should the NBA and NBPA decide not to do so – the Commission will reconvene and consider other measures, including freshman ineligibility and/or the "lock-up" of scholarships for a specified period of time.

I want to note that the Commission seriously considered, but is not recommending, the NBA's and NBPA's adoption of a version of the "baseball rule" which would make student-athletes who attend college ineligible for the draft or the G League for two or three year

About cheating:

... the NCAA should create independent investigative and adjudicative arms to address and resolve complex and serious cases involving violation of NCAA rules. As of now, volunteers who are members of fellow NCAA member institutions resolve these cases, and during our Commission testimony not a single stakeholder supported the current system for handling high-stakes infractions. Today's current state where an entire community knows of significant rule breaking and yet the governance body lacks the power or will to investigate and act breeds cynicism and contempt.

To restore credibility to this process, the investigation, enforcement and resolution of high stakes cases must be placed in the hands of independent professionals. A panel of professional adjudicators, appointed for a term of years, must make final and binding decisions and must have the authority to impose substantial punishments, including the loss of post-season play and the revenues from post-season play.

The Commission further recommends a number of changes in the NCAA's penalty structure.

Currently, the rewards for violating the rules far outweigh the risks, and we recommend significant increases in the penalties imposed on institutions and individuals for violations of NCAA rules to reverse this calculation.

We recommend the following increases in the core penalty structure:

1. Increase the competition penalties for Level I violations to allow a five-year post-season ban, including the NCAA tournament.
  2. Increase the financial penalties for Level I violations to allow loss of all revenue sharing in post-season play, including revenue from the NCAA tournament.
  3. Increase the penalties for a show-cause order to allow bans of more than one season
  4. Increase the restrictions on head coaches to allow bans of more than one season; and
  5. Increase the penalties for recruiting visit violations to allow full-year visit bans

Then this gem at the end...

Finally, the Commission recommends that the NCAA revise and clarify its role in addressing academic fraud or misconduct by member institutions and make application of those rules consistent.

The NCAA must have jurisdiction to address academic fraud and misconduct to the extent that it affects student-athletes' eligibility. Member institutions can no longer be permitted to defend a fraud or misconduct case on the ground that all students, not just athletes, were permitted to "benefit" from that fraud or misconduct.

Seems to me that it was a lot of reasonable stuff, learned the hard way, through cheating scandals that went on and on and never really got addressed the way they should have been addressed.

Funny how supposed basic functionality is now portrayed as idealism.

First, the initial assertion by the commission is a lie. Players do have a choice to attend college. From the perspective of NCAA bureaucrats, evidently playing in Europe or D-League do not count as options.

Additionally, whether or not a person intends to stay in college to get a degree is really no one's business and the idea of "regulating" a student's intentions is laughable.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg didn't get their degrees. They were gifted and they made the wise choice to pursue goals and learn outside of the classroom. A career in professional sports, likewise, is one of the best paying at high levels.

If it was up to the colleges, we can guarantee that neither Gates nor Zuckerberg could've worked a day in the professional world with out dangling around a degree. With athletes, it's not really any different. Again, it's all about money. It really has nothing to do with education. Education can be obtained by these players outside of college campuses that is arguable more valuable than being in school.

The one and done is being used as an excuse for systemic problems in the NCAA. To reiterate, cheating and corruption far pre-dates one and done. With or with out one and done, the shoe companies and millions of dollars are still on the table.

In addition, "the problem" with the one and done really has nothing to do with what is best for the players. It's about what some fans perceive would be best for the sport of college basketball. And to be honest, I think it's because they think the college basketball product is at it's best with less roster turn over.

The part about getting a degree and education is just an attempt to sugar coat it.

It has nothing to do with education or corruption. Millions of people are forced to attend college. Some people ITT like the idea because they think it'd benefit their program. But it won't.
how are these million of people being forced to attend college?

First, the initial assertion by the commission is a lie. Players do have a choice to attend college. From the perspective of NCAA bureaucrats, evidently playing in Europe or D-League do not count as options.

Additionally, whether or not a person intends to stay in college to get a degree is really no one's business and the idea of "regulating" a student's intentions is laughable.

Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg didn't get their degrees. They were gifted and they made the wise choice to pursue goals and learn outside of the classroom. A career in professional sports, likewise, is one of the best paying at high levels.

If it was up to the colleges, we can guarantee that neither Gates nor Zuckerberg could've worked a day in the professional world with out dangling around a degree. With athletes, it's not really any different. Again, it's all about money. It really has nothing to do with education. Education can be obtained by these players outside of college campuses that is arguable more valuable than being in school.

The one and done is being used as an excuse for systemic problems in the NCAA. To reiterate, cheating and corruption far pre-dates one and done. With or with out one and done, the shoe companies and millions of dollars are still on the table.
Just a few comments:

Regardless of other peoples' or groups' opinions, playing overseas or entering the D-League are professional options for a player to earn money.

Gates and Zuckerberg didn't attend college, and certainly young talented players shouldn't be forced to go to college either. One thing Gates and Zuckerberg didn't do was take a scholarship at the expense of someone wishing to go to college to study, and neither should someone receive a bogus scholarship.

I don't believe the one and done issue has been characterized as the be all and end all to rid college basketball of corruption. Nevertheless, it's certainly an element in causing corruption.

Any employer who won't hire with out a degree is "forcing" someone to attend college by their logic. NBA doesn't even require a degree.
strange My oldest doesn't have a degree but is General Manager of a Menards, my 2nd oldest doesn't have a degree but is a Manager of a resteraunt my 3rd oldest is the General Manager of a Men's Wearhouse closing store and does not have a degree,

my youngest daughter who was killed by a drunk driver had a AA degree but in a different field than what her job was.

I know many in high level jobs that don't have a degree, so I am confused by your comment MILLIONS are FORCED TO ATTEND COLLEGE.

Just a few comments:

Regardless of other peoples' or groups' opinions, playing overseas or entering the D-League are professional options for a player to earn money.

Gates and Zuckerberg didn't attend college, and certainly young talented players shouldn't be forced to go to college either. One thing Gates and Zuckerberg didn't do was take a scholarship at the expense of someone wishing to go to college to study, and neither should someone receive a bogus scholarship.

I don't believe the one and done issue has been characterized as the be all and end all to rid college basketball of corruption. Nevertheless, it's certainly an element in causing corruption.

Gates and Zuckerberg did attend college. They didn't get a degree. You argued that you shouldn't be in college if your goal is not to get a degree. And also, just to be honest, I am in the tech field and made a similar decision as Gates and Zuckerberg (of course on a much smaller level) when I was that age. Best decision I ever made. I did learn in college. Glad I went. I didn't need a degree. If I was a doctor, I would've had no choice but to spend a cool 100k on med school in order to get started. Luckily, I didn't have that hurdle. Some people do.

Again, my point in all of this is, the idea that the NCAA cares if these kids get a degree is laughable if they actually believe the end goal is foster educated and successful people. Why would the NCAA be against anyone attending school for any amount of time if this was their goal?

ADVERTISEMENT