ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA comes back at Kansas guns blazin'

The NCAA put out a 92 page response that basically says we’re still coming after you because you did bad things? They’re gonna come so hard at KU when they finally do make a decision. I’ve said since the beginning they’re gonna try and make an example out of them and a 92 page letter that isn’t a decision makes me think I’m right.

The NCAA put out a 92 page response that basically says we’re still coming after you because you did bad things? They’re gonna come so hard at KU when they finally do make a decision. I’ve said since the beginning they’re gonna try and make an example out of them and a 92 page letter that isn’t a decision makes me think I’m right.
Yeah, that is weird. I wonder what they could've rambled on about for 92 pages.

Probably got @dragonhawk1855 to write it for them

Are they being charged for lack of Self control?
giphy.gif

NCAA’s whole argument is that Adidas is a booster and KU is fully responsible for the actions of Adidas. They are holding strong to that argument even more so than the original NOA. A lot of media pundits after this rebuttal are asking “If NCAA feels so strongly that Adidas is a booster. What about NIKE and UA?”

Doesn’t matter what KU or the NCAA say now. NCAA will hit KU with damn near the “death penalty”. This will eventually go the route of the appeals board and KU will still receive a decent size punishment but it will be scaled back by the appeals committee most likely. The question is the timeline of when this all happens now. Will it be before the season, during the season, or next summer when it is all resolved.

NCAA’s whole argument is that Adidas is a booster and KU is fully responsible for the actions of Adidas. They are holding strong to that argument even more so than the original NOA. A lot of media pundits after this rebuttal are asking “If NCAA feels so strongly that Adidas is a booster. What about NIKE and UA?”

Doesn’t matter what KU or the NCAA say now. NCAA will hit KU with damn near the “death penalty”. This will eventually go the route of the appeals board and KU will still receive a decent size punishment but it will be scaled back by the appeals committee most likely. The question is the timeline of when this all happens now. Will it be before the season, during the season, or next summer when it is all resolved.
"Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the Independent Accountability Resolutions Process (IARP). An Independent Resolution Panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final and there are no appeals."

Arizona is going to get hammered, they just aren't as far along in the process yet. Also, I'm not sure how much of Arizona's shadiness had to do with Nike. I think most of that Miller was just paying out of his own pocket.

"Because of the complexity and severity of the allegations, and Kansas' position regarding Adidas' role, the case might be processed through the Independent Accountability Resolutions Process (IARP). An Independent Resolution Panel (IRP), consisting of five independent members with legal, higher education and/or sports backgrounds, would hear the case and decide what penalties the Jayhawks would face. The IRP's decision is final and there are no appeals."

Arizona is going to get hammered, they just aren't as far along in the process yet. Also, I'm not sure how much of Arizona's shadiness had to do with Nike. I think most of that Miller was just paying out of his own pocket.

Yeah that is the appeals board that I was talking about. They were the ones who lowered SDS’s suspension from 2 years to 1 year and eligible immediately.

Also UA was for Under Armour not Arizona.

Yeah that is the appeals board that I was talking about. They were the ones who lowered SDS’s suspension from 2 years to 1 year and eligible immediately.

Also UA was for Under Armour not Arizona.
Are you sure? The way that reads to me is that if they choose to go this Independent Accountability Resolutions Process route (rather than the NCAA) the penalties imposed would be final, with no appeal. Derp for me not realizing you meant Under Armour. Laughing

Reactions: JRMSU
Are you sure? The way that reads to me is that if they choose to go this Independent Accountability Resolutions Process route (rather than the NCAA) the penalties imposed would be final, with no appeal. Derp for me not realizing you meant Under Armour. Laughing

This is basically the appeals board. NCAA will hand down their ruling and KU will challenge it. Most likely KU will call for the IRP to review the case and make their ruling on the matter. The IRP can then lower, increase, or completely throw out the punishment. KU feels they have a strong enough argument to call upon the IRP to make a ruling on the NCAA’s case against KU.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
This is basically the appeals board. NCAA will hand down their ruling and KU will challenge it. Most likely KU will call for the IRP to review the case and make their ruling on the matter. The IRP can then lower, increase, or completely throw out the punishment. KU feels they have a strong enough argument to call upon the IRP to make a ruling on the NCAA’s case against KU.
Gotcha, thanks for the clarification!

KU lawyers will make the ncaa eventually back down. UnC already laid out the playbook here. Nothing major is going to happen to Kansas

KU has nothing to stand on in court of law because schools in the NCAA have come to agreement that the NCAA is judge and jury. So whatever verdict the NCAA come up with for punishment the only route KU would have the appeals process and the IRP decision. If KU were to challenge the ruling in a court of law they wouldn’t get anywhere because the Bylaws put forth by the NCAA and agreed upon by the schools allows the NCAA to make their case and their own ruling based on their own case. They just can’t be the complete executioner though because the IRP and appeals board can overrule or modify the punishment they hand down.

Similar case to NFL vs Ezekiel Elliott. Zeke lost that case because in the end the CBA called for not only Goodell to be judge, jury, and executioner but to be the one who hears and rules upon the appeals as well.

KU’s fight and UNC’s fight against the NCAA is also different because UNC’s whole argument was that the NCAA did not have the authority to punish UNC for their fake classes because they were at the time accredited and the accrediting board could not have the credit removed retroactively. The NCAA would have nothing to stand on if the NCAA handed down a punishment and UNC took them to court over whether the NCAA had that authority or not.

Will be interesting to see if KU tries to somehow retain Toupee Bill. He's going to get leveled with a show cause that will make Bruce Pearl's look like a slap on the wrist.

Last edited:
KU is supposedly negotiating for 1 year post-season ban, reduction in recruiting activities, and reduced scholarships. That's likely the minimum. Arizona and LSU to follow.

Reactions: duckboy33
so were all the adidas reps so scared of what KU would do to them that, when facing criminal allegations and jail time, they continue to contend that KU/KU Coaches were not involved and that they (reps) took active steps to keep them from knowing?

How will the ncaa deal with that actual testimony? What do they have to counter it?

I do have some concern that the NCAA has by laws, KU is a member that agreed to those by laws so ncaa can essentially find/enforce whatever they want.

If the NCAA argement is that adidas is a booster of KU, well then the whole system is about done...maybe it takes down KU but I kind of think it is the NCAA that will fall...other schools have to read that language and wonder when they could get the letter in the mail.

The ncaa only has power because the schools allow them to...football is already poised to break off, this might push the whole thing down.

NCAA will try to bring the hammer down (or give the appearance of), and the IRP will lessen the punishment just like in the De Sousa case.

Is that the case where Ku acknowledged addidas as a booster?

NCAA told KU they had to label Adidas a booster in theory in order for NCAA to make any type of ruling on SDS. They wouldn’t make a rule without it. Then they slammed SDS with an unprecedented 2 year suspension and have used that “booster” label against KU in the NOA. The funny thing is the NCAA has apparently already cleared Maryland of 20k that SDS guardian apparently asked for to get out of under that deal he had already made with Maryland and Under Armour. So what was the 20k? A lie by SDS guardian to get more money? Under oath it was established that 20k never made it to SDS guardian anyway. So the only money that was established in court to have made it to SDS guardian from Gassnola was $2,500 that was given to SDS guardian to pay for SDS online classes in order for him to get eligible. The NCAA bring up the Adidas gear given to the Angola national team by Gassnola through SDS guardian but that does not involve Kansas and is legal under NCAA’s bylaws. So again come back to the only amount of money proven to have made it to SDS guardian’s hands were $2,500 from Gassnola that through evidence was pocketed by SDS guardian anyway because SDS online classes were free. Plus $2,500 is in no way worthy of a 2 year suspension based on previous punishments given down by the NCAA. That usually warrants something like a 10 game suspension.

In the end KU deserves to be punished for a lack of institutional control but not to the extreme it appears the NCAA is coming for. I would vacate any 2018 games played by SDS including Big 12 championship and the F4. I would give KU a scholarship reduction for 2 years to 11 scholarships and recruiting restrictions for on and off campus visits. I would give Self and Kurtis Townsend 10 games suspensions served at separate times during the season. The concern I have is whether KU will get a postseason ban. Even 1 postseason ban usually wipes out a teams roster and puts them behind by 3-5 seasons.

I think based off the NOA’s handed out so far to each school involved in the FBI cases that KU is the big fish they are looking to fry. Looking to fry KU with KU being one of the few schools that didn’t involved a head coach or assistant coach directly giving money to a player.

Really do hate it for the good ku posters, but there's that one troll that's gonna make this so enjoyable for me.

Reactions: JC for 3
Yeah - 5 level 1 violations scream lessen the punishment.

KU and staff have not been convicted in a court of law. And the trial that actually did take place benefits them, as there was sworn testimony of no involvement by Self or staff.

The NCAA can ignore the trial and impose whatever penalty they choose. Yet, history would suggest that KU’s punishment will be less severe than if they were Utah Valley St. From there it will be up to the IRP, which will be more likely to take all factors into consideration, including the trial, to reach a “fairer” conclusion.

Really do hate it for the good ku posters, but there's that one troll that's gonna make this so enjoyable for me.

Very few of you in the land of few teeth would “hate” to see something bad happen to KU.

But then again, who cares.

KU and staff have not been convicted in a court of law. And the trial that actually did take place benefits them, as there was sworn testimony of no involvement by Self or staff.

The NCAA can ignore the trial and impose whatever penalty they choose. Yet, for starters, history would suggest that KU’s punishment will be less severe than if they were Utah Valley St. From there it will be up to the IRP, which will be more likely to take all factors into consideration, including the trial, to reach a “fairer” conclusion.

This is the NCAA, not the court of law. The burden of evidence is not needed at the same level and they are judge, jury and executioner. Their response is not one of backing down so you are fried. It's over.

But I get it. You are going through the denial phase right now. Soon you'll be bargaining and eventually acceptance.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT