ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA announces COVID issues will result in tournament forfeit

This puts me even more on the “no conference tournaments” bandwagon. Just seems like a big risk that close to the dance.
source.gif

At best only 10% chance a top 10 team wins it all. I don’t see where 2 missing because of covid means anything.

At best only 10% chance a top 10 team wins it all. I don’t see where 2 missing because of covid means anything.

I mean if Michigan wins it all, but both Gonzaga and Baylor (or really any two contenders) have COVID issues in the Sweet 16 and have to forfeit there will clearly be an asterisk despite Michigan winning 6 games.

Reactions: sgrooms
There’s really no other way to deal with it in a big tournament setting.

For that reason I don’t see a need for conference tournaments. Let teams have the best shot possible of being healthy.

But tv money won’t let that happen

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
There’s really no other way to deal with it in a big tournament setting.

For that reason I don’t see a need for conference tournaments. Let teams have the best shot possible of being healthy.

But tv money won’t let that happen

Agreed. Let regular season champ get the auto bid and pray we can get a full tournament in.

You can go back and read older threads. I’ve had this opinion since the season started and before UK sucked. Posters will back me

And, like I said, you might be right. But if Illinois can beat six teams in March and cap off a good basketball history with our first National Title, assuming we get past good teams, I will be damn proud, and I’m sure other fan bases will feel the same. Let’s wait to see if there are tons of cancellations first ... a regular Tournament with none of them would be 110% asterisk free, IMO.

I have been firmly in the “the champion won’t have an asterisk next to their name” camp, but if even a couple top 10 teams have to forfeit, the champion will have an asterisk, especially if they advance via forfeit.

Link
Only way to do it. No other straight forward solutions.

And, like I said, you might be right. But if Illinois can beat six teams in March and cap off a good basketball history with our first National Title, assuming we get past good teams, I will be damn proud, and I’m sure other fan bases will feel the same. Let’s wait to see if there are tons of cancellations first ... a regular Tournament with none of them would be 110% asterisk free, IMO.
I don't blame you brother, as a true fan you get it when the opportunity presents it's self. astric don't mean nothing in our hearts. :cool:

I mean, it still wouldn’t be a normal tournament. No traveling and hardly no fans. But I understand. Take what you can get. Even ignoring the canceled games and short handed teams throughout the season.

If Kansas wins there will be a huge asterisk next it that says, ‘how in the fu$k.”

I mean, it still wouldn’t be a normal tournament. No traveling and hardly no fans. But I understand. Take what you can get. Even ignoring the canceled games and short handed teams throughout the season.

What else could you do though if your team wins it all? Not enjoy it? Discredit the players bc of a global pandemic that has disrupted every aspect of our lives?

What else could you do though if your team wins it all? Not enjoy it? Discredit the players bc of a global pandemic that has disrupted every aspect of our lives?
You absolutely enjoy it. Perhaps my “take what you can get” comment came off wrong. I’ve never said the winner shouldn’t enjoy it, just that it will not be looked at in the same light as other winners by some fans. Me in that category of some. And others on here not.

If Kansas wins there will be a huge asterisk next it that says, ‘how in the fu$k.”

After last year, I’d have a firm middle finger pointed in the direction of anyone who wanted to slap an asterisk on it.

You absolutely enjoy it. Perhaps my “take what you can get” comment came off wrong. I’ve never said the winner shouldn’t enjoy it, just that it will not be looked at in the same light as other winners by some fans. Me in that category of some. And others on here not.

Yea I was in the camp that the year could be considered more difficult just bc it’s been harder for everyone doing anything, but with these tourney rules it really is gonna be wait and see.

It’s crazy to think about all the insane possibilities, But I mean what else could they do at some point.

Reactions: cdbearde
This puts me even more on the “no conference tournaments” bandwagon. Just seems like a big risk that close to the dance.
Agreed, why risk the conference elites by playing the also rans.

I mean if Michigan wins it all, but both Gonzaga and Baylor (or really any two contenders) have COVID issues in the Sweet 16 and have to forfeit there will clearly be an asterisk despite Michigan winning 6 games.

Right because there’s always the 4 best regular season teams in the final 4. To me it doesn’t matter, it’s a one loss tournament, favorites lose early a lot, it being covid related makes the result the same with a different excuse.

Reactions: Noahtogo24
A forfeit and an upset are hardly the same. If someone beats you on the court so be it but it would be a shame for any contender to have to forfeit. It would be a shame for any team to forfeit but especially a top seed.

A forfeit and an upset are hardly the same. If someone beats you on the court so be it but it would be a shame for any contender to have to forfeit. It would be a shame for any team to forfeit but especially a top seed.

Would be a shame but doesn’t change much.

Reactions: ccintn
Right because there’s always the 4 best regular season teams in the final 4. To me it doesn’t matter, it’s a one loss tournament, favorites lose early a lot, it being covid related makes the result the same with a different excuse.

So LSU advancing past Baylor to the Sweet 16 via forfeit instead of winning a 40 minute game is the the same to you? Yikes.

So LSU advancing past Baylor to the Sweet 16 via forfeit instead of winning a 40 minute game is the the same to you? Yikes.

Yes just like one of the favorites losing as they always do. It shouldn’t put an asterisk next to the winning team unless we will every year a favorite gets bounced early.

The diff is when a contender gets upset, they still had their chance, they just blew it.

Of a contender has to forfeit, they don’t even get a chance.

just not the same.

The diff is when a contender gets upset, they still had their chance, they just blew it.

just not the same.

To me it’s just another favorite who didn’t make it. They join a long list.

Reactions: ccintn

just not the same.
Do you realize how many champions in every sport get injured and don’t make the Olympic? They don’t put asterisks on the Olympic trophy.

Do you realize how many champions in every sport get injured and don’t make the Olympic? They don’t put asterisks on the Olympic trophy.
Do you realize this is a team game? And anything non-covid related could happen and wouldn’t change anything, like if a stud goes down injured for a contender, or upsets like you say.

But if teams get to just advance via forfeit, which is totally new, it just won’t be the same. It’s not like a forfeit just hurts, it also vastly helps not only the team that advance but everyone in the bracket.

And back to your Olympic “trophy” 😂 your right they still give one out, to whoever wins the competition. Not for just showing up when the other person is injured/sick.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT