ADVERTISEMENT

NC State vs. Duke

WojoRising

Jul 3, 2015
The misery continues. Down 5, two minutes to go in the first. Justin Robinson has been Duke’s best player.

Why start this thread? I think you're a masochist.

That’s ridiculous.

*scrolls through DVR full of Virginia and Wisconsin games*
RespectfulViciousArmadillo-size_restricted.gif

You're Kevin Bacon in this scenario.

Reactions: WojoRising
Good game. It’s interesting to me that NC State plays so well against Duke, but sucks ass against UNC.

Good game. It’s interesting to me that NC State plays so well against Duke, but sucks ass against UNC.
Every year. Also Duke looked like garbage for a large part of the half, 1-13 from the field to start and a lot of those misses were layups.

I think it’s fair to say that with the emergence of Justin Robinson and this 2-3 zone that we’re in a tier of our own.

Not sure I remember seeing either against UVA. What was K thinking???

Not sure I remember seeing either against UVA. What was K thinking???
Robinson played great against Wake as well and then rode the pine against UVA. All game long against UVA, when Jack White made awful play after awful play (which has been his year basically in a nut shell,) I was wondering if K had White confused someone else and put him in the game.

It might be a blessing in disguise that Duke hit a skid before it really matters. Learn a few things before its one and done.

Reactions: dukedevilz
It might be a blessing in disguise that Duke hit a skid before it really matters. Learn a few things before its one and done.

I like how Bilas called him K-heim. Gotta give Boeheim the assist on that one. Going zone really stifled NC State. And perhaps it's the way we should attack offenses going forward. We're very capable of forcing a lot of turnovers. Jones and Goldwire like to press in the backcourt. If we're not getting turnovers 30+ feet away from the basket, however, our defense becomes very, very shaky.

KenPom rates us as the 11th most efficient defense. But, our field-goal percentage defense isn't even in the top 100 of the country. Time and time again you see teams exploit our defense, so long as they're not turning the ball over. Will be interesting to see how often K utilizes the 2-3 zone going forward.

Reactions: tw3301
I like how Bilas called him K-heim. Gotta give Boeheim the assist on that one. Going zone really stifled NC State. And perhaps it's the way we should attack offenses going forward. We're very capable of forcing a lot of turnovers. Jones and Goldwire like to press in the backcourt. If we're not getting turnovers 30+ feet away from the basket, however, our defense becomes very, very shaky.

KenPom rates us as the 11th most efficient defense. But, our field-goal percentage defense isn't even in the top 100 of the country. Time and time again you see teams exploit our defense, so long as they're not turning the ball over. Will be interesting to see how often K utilizes the 2-3 zone going forward.

How is it possible to be 11th in efficiency without being top 100 in FG%?

Reactions: Big_Blue79

Seriously. I read a piece on some coach a while back (maybe Bennett? Roy?) that looked to Coach K and his hallmarks of success. The coach specifically noted that FG% defense as a big factor in having an elite team. Weird to think that Duke is sub-100 in that now.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
Seriously. I read a piece on some coach a while back (maybe Bennett? Roy?) that looked to Coach K and his hallmarks of success. The coach specifically noted that FG% defense as a big factor in having an elite team. Weird to think that Duke is sub-100 in that now.
I don't think Duke's field goal defense is all that special year after year. I think it has more to do with Duke taking away the oppositions best offense. For example, if a team shoots it well from 3, K will focus most of his defensive efforts trying to limit them from getting good looks from deep. It has more to do with taking away strengths than overall %'s IMO.

Our effective field goal defense, however, is 34th in the country. We actually defend the 3-point line really well. And we're in the top 25 in the nation in steals. So, that helps. It's the dribble penetration that kills Duke.

Our effective field goal defense, however, is 34th in the country. We actually defend the 3-point line really well. And we're in the top 25 in the nation in steals. So, that helps. It's the dribble penetration that kills Duke.
Putting our big in ball screens has been an Achilles heel all season.

Putting our big in ball screens has been an Achilles heel all season.
Yeah and I am not sure why it is happening with Javin lately. He is usually reliable in that area but that has gone to crap the last month. He has done a lot of little things well, don’t want to pile on the guy.

I still maintain that Dukes biggest weakness is taking care of the ball. Sure there are defensive challenges lately, but taking care of the ball has been an all year problem. They simply turn it over too much and it leads to a lot of easy scores the other way.

Guarding high ball screens is pretty tough overall if the other team is effective using them.

Reactions: denniden
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT