NBA thread

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by jamo0001, Oct 30, 2015.

1. UKcats1988

UKcats1988 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Second year rotation players should dominate summer league. But Lyles should be pretty good for a good Utah team this year. He'll probably get 20-25 minutes a game or so, I like his future.

2. Rhavicc

Rhavicc Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It's not so much the raw numbers for me as much as it is the translatable skills. Last year, Lyles proven to be a very good 3 point shooter, regardless of position or age, but to shoot over 40% from 3 as a rookie power forward is very impressive, and it seems as if he's just improved it that much more, as well as his free throw shooting. He's also playing a much more downhill style of basketball.

Obviously he's not going to walk into the NBA next year and average 25 a game, but his shooting and basketball IQ from the PF position will allow him to reel off some very impressive numbers in a scoring role. He's going to make a lot of money in the league.

3. Cyclonacity

Cyclonacity Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I have enjoyed watching Murray and Ulis battle each other in SL today. Bender vs Hermangomez has been intriguing as well. Yes, I realize Bender and Hermangomez play different positions.

1323 Cyclonacity, Jul 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
  4. Cyclonacity

Expand Collapse

I love these summer league games. OT with Murray and Ulis exchanging last possession baskets. Ulis with the knockout 3PT to win.

5. catsfan3523

catsfan3523 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

There have been several awesome summer league games this year. Ulis is really playing well.
    I didn't get to see the raptors TWolves game but it sounds like it was a really good game too.

6. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

It was, but Tyus Jones really did play the most Tyus Jones game ever. I honestly believe he could tell you what the ceiling of a basketball arena looks like more-so than the court itself based on all the head jerking, and he looked like he went for a sick ballerina move at the end of the game on his shot. Leg was literally 90 degrees out to his side and he caught a guy running past him, refs called a foul on the defender.

catsfan3523 and Jhmoss1812 like this.
  7. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

Going to be a long wait until the last week of October. Ready for the new season to start now. I think I've already decided on who my league pass favorites will be this year

OKC- to watch Westbrook go wild assuming he doesn't get traded
    Boston- always fun watching Brad Stevens coached teams
    Wolves- Towns/Wiggins/Thibs
    Utah- Should be a 50 win team with nice young pieces
    Detroit- fan of SVG coached teams
    Hawks- Probably my favorite team due to proximity(closest NBA team to me in Kentucky), and I like Millsap/Budenholzer a lot. Hate their offseason but oh well, will still watch majority of their games.

8. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That crossover and dish by Ulis was fantastic. He's gonna get paid in three years. Have loved his game since we saw him at BBM.

Troy Williams: Showed that when under control, he can certainly play at this level. If he's ever able to consistently harness this, he to will get paid.

Murray: Dude can score. Amazing shooter. But his defense? Meh. But he didn't get picked 7th because of his defense. Certainly could see him making a few All-Star games.

Havent seen much of Yogi. Got a glimpse of him last night. At times, he seemed to be trying to much. Just play, kid.

9. IUfanBorden

IUfanBorden Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

That call was just terrible. I honestly do not see how some feel NBA officials are more consistent, or better than CBB officials. I mean the NBA Finals were a joke.

10. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well, we do have to consider that D-League officials were there as well (the ones with the blue sleeves), so that could be a big reason. I'm not sure how you don't call an offensive foul on that though. What happened to keeping the legs in the "shooting cylinder".

11. Deathclutch

Deathclutch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

GOAT

Quavarius likes this.
  12. HuffyJB

HuffyJB Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Jones has some work to do, but to his credit he thoroughly outplayed Tyler Ullis today in a 10 point win ( 29 points on 9-17 shooting and 6 assists, to Ullis's 11 points on 5-21 shooting). He showed a lot of what made him great at Duke and a first round pick.

Quavarius likes this.
  13. Cyclonacity

Expand Collapse

While not always pretty basketball, the summer league championship + quarterfinals was outstanding.

Quavarius and MileHighSpartan like this.
  14. TheDude1

TheDude1 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Tyus Jones is a massively underrated talent. Killer scorer, brilliant passer, and balls of steel. Maybe a top two freshman pg in Duke history (and only because we had Kyrie is it maybe) and maybe tied for pure clutch with Laettner.

Quavarius likes this.
  15. MileHighSpartan

MileHighSpartan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Denzel with a clutch 3 with 0.2 seconds left to tie it in regulation (after Tyus Jones hit a huge 3 just seconds earlier) and then the game winner in OT

Quavarius and Cyclonacity like this.
  16. Cyclonacity

Expand Collapse

Awesome video of the game winner.

MileHighSpartan likes this.
  17. HuffyJB

Expand Collapse

It was pretty wild, he only hit three shots the entire game, and one was to send it to OT and another to win it.

And as a Duke guy, it was great to see Jones as the best PG in the Summer League. Bodes well.

Quavarius likes this.
  18. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Yea I've been surprised at his shooting... he was a phenomenal shooter last season at MSU, but missed quite a few open looks during Summer League.

He also didn't rack up as many assists as he probably should've, as even in last nights game there were at least 3 instances I saw where his teammates weren't ready for a pass, or bricked the open shot (Sulaimon missed 2 of those, I believe).

19. toonces11

toonces11 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Jones looked really good---Ulis should have quit chucking

Quavarius likes this.
  20. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

21. Quavarius

Quavarius Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

This was the first Summer League that was highly entertaining. Huge clutch shots from Tyus Jones, Ulis, Valentine and others.

I was certainly blown away by Jones. I knew he was good but didn't know he had this much in him. Minny in good shape with him and Dunn in the backcourt

HuffyJB likes this.
  22. hailtoyourvictor

hailtoyourvictor Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Isn't it pretty common for 2nd year NBA players to ball out in summer league?

23. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

Yes, if they're a rotation level player or above like Booker, Lyles, Mudiay etc they'll look way better than most.

24. HuffyJB

Expand Collapse

Absolutely. It would be impossible for 30 NBA teams to fill out summer rosters using exclusively draftees or rookie free agents. For example, in the championship game Jones was matched up with Jerian Grant, a guy taken ahead of him in the 2015 draft. The Bulls leading scorer was Bobby Portis, another guy taken ahead of Jones. The starting center on his team was Adreian Payne, from the 2014 draft.

25. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I meant ball out in terms of look really good because they are playing kids fresh out of college. For example, Seth Curry scored 24ppg in summer league last year.

26. HuffyJB

Expand Collapse

^ They aren't exclusively playing kids fresh out of college. Summer League is equal parts second and third year pros. I don't know if the MVP tends to be someone with NBA experience or not.

27. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Ehh... not always. Some second year players look great in Summer League (Tyus Jones, Booker, D'Angelo Russel), others look terrible (Nik Stauskas, Branden Dawson). Some 2nd year guys only need to play 1 or 2 games, before their respective teams see enough.

http://www.foxsports.com/nba/story/...ointing-los-angeles-lakers-ben-simmons-071916

28. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well yeah, of course not all 2nd year players show out. I'm saying that it's not uncommon to see below average NBA players (Seth Curry, Marcus Smart, Glen Rice Jr., etc.) look good essentially playing down a level. I take more out of rookie performances because they are essentially playing up a level without having much work with NBA trainers.

29. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

Yea I think your comment about working with NBA trainers is a main factor in why 2nd year guys look better, in a lot of cases. That link that I posted said as much regarding Ingram. You can see the talent potential, but he was getting pushed around by his defenders because he needs to add muscle/strength.

It is definitely playing "down a level" though. Lot of summer league rosters are made up of guys that are fighting for their livelihoods and probably aren't good enough to be full time NBA players. A lot of the 2nd year players that are actually contributors to their NBA teams either don't play in Summer League at all, or only play a game or 2. Trey Lyles and Devin Booker only played 2 games each in Summer League, and dominated.

http://www.nba.com/summerleague/2016/statistics/las_vegas/

hailtoyourvictor likes this.
  30. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I take back all the mean things I said about you.

Until the next time I say them.

31. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I think Marcus Smart is a bit better than "below average" in what he does on the court.

32. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

As much as I like Tyus, I don't expect him to get alot of playing time this season. He has a ways to go on defense before he can be a serviceable backup PG in the league.

33. hailtoyourvictor

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Well his offensive game is below average and he lit up summer league to the tune of 20+ ppg.

34. MileHighSpartan

Expand Collapse

What are your thoughts on Payne? I know you had mentioned that he was on the outside looking in, and he still may be, but he had a pretty strong finish to Summer League

35. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Oh I get that. It also is true to a point. However he is asked to do other things for Boston rather than score. Right now anyway. He will be asked to take his scoring up a notch this coming year, depending on any trades that may occur.

36. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

He did indeed get better as summer league went on but tbh, he makes alot of boneheaded plays. I think he'll be on the roster this season, but I would be surprised if his option for 2017-2018 gets picked up. The Wolves are somewhat crowded at PF as well. I expect Gorgui to start there, with Bjelica backing him up and KAT getting some minutes at the 4 too. Then you have KG, who has yet to decide if he is coming back, and we just signed Jordan Hill who could play some PF. I just don't see a path for regular playing time with Payne.