NBA thread

Discussion in 'College Basketball Board' started by jamo0001, Oct 30, 2015.

1. Spacegrass

Spacegrass Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2. dtgold88

dtgold88 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Though he doesn't think he has ever committed a foul, he's a hard guy not to like.

One of the best!!

3. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Tim Duncans' reactions to fouls called on him were really funny! The stunned look on his face was priceless. I wonder if he realized that there are TV cameras all over the place?

Great player, great career! Hope he enjoys his retirement.

dtgold88 likes this.
  4. Deathclutch

Deathclutch Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Adriean Payne is going to be out of the league sooner rather than later. Boy has he been terrible in summer league. I don't even know why I watched the game tonight after is was announced he wouldn't play due to a concussion. The Wolves lost by 31 to a mediocre Cavs summer league team. I need some eye bleach after that shitshow.

In other news, Murray dropped 29 in tonights game. It took him 25 shots but still a solid outing. I have no question he'll be a good offensive player in the league eventually, but his defense does raise huge concern.

5. Rhavicc

Rhavicc Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Ah, it didn't take him 25 to get to 29. At the end he pretty much had to jack up shots though to try to get his team back into the game, and it just wasn't happening. He had 29 at around 18 or 19 shots though.
    Also wouldn't recommend eye bleach. It may cause a very mild discomfort.

I wonder why Dunn didn't play tonight though. Going against Kay Felder would have been good for him. Hopefully Minnesota and Phoenix get matched up. Selfishly, I want to see Tyler Ulis vs Kris Dunn, and would absolutely love to see Tyler abuse Dunn (despite the fact that Minnesota is my favorite NBA team, Kentucky has been my favorite team forever, and Tyler Ulis is an all-time favorite).

Will also say, I greatly question Tyus Jones's ability to stick in the league. His horrendous defensive ability is hard enough to stick with, but if he starts turning the ball over like he did tonight, then his chance to stick in the league drops from about 40% to 20%. I get that it's one incredibly meaningless game, but he doesn't bring enough to the table as a player to be able to afford being sub-par in his playmaking ability.

6. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Rhavicc, Is there any former Duke player or current prospect that you do not automatically go to the negative on?

khuff80 likes this.
  7. Jhmoss1812

Jhmoss1812 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

8. MileHighSpartan

MileHighSpartan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I've read the same about his performance the other night. Really thought he would end up being pretty decent in the NBA, as he is fairly athletic and has range out to 3 (shot around 40% his senior season). That said, his basketball IQ is severely lacking.

9. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

Would love to have seen his pre Finals thoughts on Irving.

10. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I thought he was a terrific offensive player that was well worth the money that he's gotten, and he's continuously developed his point guard skills. In the finals, he actually showed that he can play pretty good defense. He just needs to bring it on that end more consistently. Now you have my thoughts on Irving, both pre and post Finals.

That said, Tyus Jones is not Kyrie Irving. If you can't agree with that, then you just have an unreasonable bias for Duke players.

Kyrie Irving and Jahlil Okafor. To an extent, Justise Winslow, because his defensive ability will keep him in the league for a long time.

Has anything I said actually been untrue, denniden?

What does Tyus Jones offer if not good playmaking ability?

Would you agree that Jayson Tatum needs to greatly improve his 3 point shooting? For the record, he's never had a season where he has shot above 30% from 3 point range. Also, do you think that he's ever going to be a good defender at the NBA level? If so, why do you think so?

I love Harry Giles as a prospect, what I question is his ability to be the player that everybody thought he would be following his injuries, and that's fair, considering he's a big guy who is coming off of ACL tears in not one, but both knees. I think it's more than fair to question his health when considering Giles as a prospect.

I also really like Frank Jackson as a prospect, I think whenever he become consistent, with his athleticism and big body, he can be a really good 2 way player. I think he's under-utilizing his big body and athleticism by floating around the 3 point line more than he probably should right now, but I fully expect that to change.

dtgold88 likes this.
  11. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

Rhavicc, I didn't say you were right or wrong. That wasn't my point. Just that you seemingly go after Duke guys pretty hard.

12. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

Rhavicc, thought it was a very fair assessment of Irving. Was only wondering as he said you were negative towards all Dukies and many bball fans thought Kyrie was vastly overrated.

I do agree, he was always able to play tough D if he chose, but just didn't have the heart/desire. Hopefully, this showed him he can be a complete player. some might not recall, but LeBron got blasted for his D early in his career.

13. khuff80

khuff80 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

***Dunn was out due to a concussion.

14. khuff80

khuff80 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

15. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If I'm not wrong, then it should be a moot point though, wouldn't you agree? I'll be the first to admit that I don't like Duke, but me pointing out Tyus Jones's deficiencies had a lot more to do with me being a Timberwolves fan than it had to do with me being a Kentucky fan.

Minnesota isn't a team that can afford to give up roster spots on players that aren't going to bring anything to the team. It's not just Tyus Jones. Adreian Payne is another one.

Vastly overrated? No. I feel like he's the 2nd best point guard in the east, and if he were a consistent defender, I'd probably feel that he at least has a shot at being the best PG in the east. (John Wall is the best in the east, then Kyrie, then Kyle Lowry, and I don't care that Lowry had a better season than Irving this past year, it was the only season in his career that he was better than Irving).

dtgold88 likes this.
  16. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

Murray was 10-25, so yeah, it took him 25 shots to get that 29 points. Not trying to be a dick here...

As far as Dunn goes, he has a mild concussion and is under the NBA concussion protocol right now, so that is why he didn't play.

I agree on Tyus. He has alot of work to do in order to be a competent backup PG in this league. I wouldn't judge him too harshly on last night's preformance though, since the Timberwolves summer league roster is trash outside of Dunn and Tyus. I'd like to reserve judgement on Tyus until he actually works with Thibs though. Thibs has done great work with backup point guards in the past such as Aaron Brooks, DJ Augustin, CJ Watson, and John Lucas III.

17. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Could have been 10-19 with 29 point too though, so it didn't necessarily take him 25 shots to get it, but he ended up with 29 after 25 shots. Just missed his last 6 or so. Doesn't matter though.

As far as Dunn goes, pretty solid reason for not playing. Likely safe to say that he's out for SL then.

Tyus, that's a complicated case. For as good as Thibs is with point guards, some players just lack the tools to be effective to the point that you can't do much with them. Tyus Jones will never be a good defender. If he can't become a good NBA scorer, as well as a reliable facilitator while he's on the floor, then he's a net-negative player, which means he won't stick to the roster. With both Rubio and Dunn in the picture, I just don't see a scenario where Tyus Jones will get valuable minutes to test his effectiveless, or lack thereof, as a scorer and facilitator in the NBA.

18. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

"If I'm not wrong, then it should be a moot point though, wouldn't you agree? I'll be the first to admit that I don't like Duke, but me pointing out Tyus Jones's deficiencies had a lot more to do with me being a Timberwolves fan than it had to do with me being a Kentucky fan.'

Rhavicc, It is not difficult to see trends. You have been very critical of Duke players in recent threads and have seemingly laid off others. I know there is no malice in there, but I did see a trend and pointed it out.

19. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And what is the topic of some of these threads? Usually it's in response to something like "How in the world could any of Kentucky's frontcourt players handle Duke's?", and I'll say something to the effect of "Well, Harry Giles is coming off of two torn ACL's, and weighs 40 pounds less than Adebayo.". or something along the lines of "Jayson Tatum will almost certainly be a top 5 player in college basketball this coming year", when he's a small forward that isn't a really good defender, and is an atrocious 3 point shooter. Albeit, these are responses to threads or posts that often come from the super homer Duke fans (Well, maybe just the one that always posts here).

I know one of those threads, a Duke fan said that like 3 Duke players were going to be 1st team All-Americans, and I started pointing out well known deficiencies with those players and debating the topic (and it's absurd to think that 3 players from one team could be 1st team All-Americans anyway, that's just ridiculous).
    The other thread that you're referring to, I believe, was talking about draft picks, where I merely said that I don't feel Giles or Tatum would be taken #1 overall because their deficiencies are kind of a big deal for their respective positions.

20. HuffyJB

HuffyJB Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think that is largely Denn's point. You will harp on your perceived deficiencies in guys like Tatum and Giles, but don't seem to acknowledge any issues in UK recruits. There isn't a single incoming freshman in the country who is perfect, but those two guys are among the cream of this crop. Why do only Duke's freshmen concern you (and I think I know the answer)?

21. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

Dwayne Wade is a future HOF'er that never developed his range past the mid range game. If you can get to your spots on the court before your defender offensively you don't need to be a long range shooter.

Has UK fan ever not overblown one of their recruits? Yet they never learn. See Skal this year as proof.

22. MileHighSpartan

MileHighSpartan Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Duke guys... what is Jabari Parker's relationship like with Duke / K? Still come back to campus and around the program?

23. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

He and coach K have a very solid relationship from what I understand. I believe he has been back a few times as well.

24. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

That's what I was thinking.

25. Jhmoss1812

Expand Collapse

You guys pumped to watch Justin Anderson and the Mavs take on Malcolm Brogdon and the Bucks tonight?

26. UKcats1988

UKcats1988 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Howard Beck reporting that the Celtics are the most likely destination for Westbrook if OKC trades him.

27. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

I would love that, however I would like Russ to promise signing a long term deal with Boston before it happens. Otherwise he is a rental player and Boston would lose a lot of assets to get him for a year only.

dtgold88 likes this.
  28. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

If the trade happened I'd just assume that they got a commitment from him to sign in the offseason.

dtgold88 likes this.
  29. denniden

denniden Administrator
    Expand Collapse

That would make sense but Danny Ainge wants to win this ASAP, so he may be willing to go ahead and do it without a promise. It also behooves Russ to wait until next summer and he can make more money on his max contract. In the end, as a Celtic fan, I take the risk and get Russ to Bean Town. Boston will still be young and have assets going forward. Enough to take a gamble on not signing him next summer. Boston is also looking at Demarcus Cousins. Which I would also love. Him and Horford up front is pretty darn good! Should that every happen. (probably a long shot)

30. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

Yea I'm of the mindset that if you can get a top 5 player under 30 like Westbrook you just do it.

dtgold88 and denniden like this.
  31. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

I would imagine they would talk to his agent first, even if illegal, for a commitment. Other than Boozer, you can usually trust a guy if he says he will stay.

Have to think the Cavs had a strong belief, despite the many reports to the contrary, that Love would stay.

32. dtgold88

Expand Collapse

I'm thinking you might have to wait. Have to think it would be a boatload more for him if he waits and does a sign and trade.

33. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

Solid depth signing. Unless there is a trade, the Wolves are now at 15 players on the roster.

Starters
    Ricky Rubio
    Zach Lavine
    Andrew Wiggins
    Gorgui Dieng
    KAT

Rotation Players
    Kris Dunn
    Brandon Rush
    Shabazz Muhammed
    Nemanja Bjelica
    Jordan Hill
    KG
    Cole Aldrich

End of the Bench
    Tyus Jones
    Adreian Payne
    Nikola Pekovic

Really liking the cautious approach to free agency from Thibs and Layden. There was no reason to go nuts this offseason. Sign some depth guys, evaluate the players over the coming season and go from there. Next offseason is key though. We need to attract a big time free agent before we have to start paying KAT, Wiggins, and Lavine.

34. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

If Pekovic is your 15th guy that's a pretty good group talent wise.

35. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

He wouldn't be, if he was healthy, but he has serious foot issues, and I would be srprised if he actually played again. I think they will keep him on the roster this year, to reach the salary floor, then waive him next offseason.

36. Spacegrass

Expand Collapse

True. He is 30 and a 300 lb guy. He might need to try and lose some weight.

37. Deathclutch

Expand Collapse

I know the ESPY's are stupid but not including Flip Saunders in the memorial tribute is a massive **** up. Somebody screwed the pooch on that one. He previously worked at ESPN too.

dtgold88 and W2R like this.
  38. Jhmoss1812

Expand Collapse

[​IMG]

39. UKcats1988

Expand Collapse

Former #1 pick on another team

40. Rhavicc

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Kinda random, relevant to Summer League, but Trey Lyles has been absolutely unstoppable so far. Through 5 games, he's averaging 29 points per game, 9 rebounds, shooting 47% from 3 on around 6 and a half 3's per game, and shooting almost 90% on free throws while shooting around 8 and a half FT's per game. Showing amazing shooting ability, high basketball IQ, been really good off the bounce, and nice passing ability that we seen from him at UK. His shooting ability is absurdly better than it was a year ago.

Think he's got an incredibly bright future ahead of him. Obviously it'll be incredibly difficult for him to live up to the billing that he could be the best of any Kentucky player from that 2014-15 team in the NBA (which some scouts said prior to his season at UK), with KAT being KAT and Booker showing everything he can do at the 2, but there's definitely potential for him to be the 3rd future All-Star from that team alone.