ADVERTISEMENT

NBA No #1 Draft Pick, Who'd you Take?

Tar Heel Gone Duck

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2011
Most people on here probably don't get to see Ayton play very much. On the other hand, most everyone has seen a ton of Bagley. For instance, tonight's P12 final should be a really good match up with future NBA guys on both teams. Starts at 10 eastern. I definitely think it's between those two, and some difficult choices for no's 3, 4, 5.....
Bagley is only 18, while Ayton is 19. Both will get much stronger, and have solid shooting perimeter form to build on and fantastic low post moves and rebounding ability. I guess whatever team has the no 2 pick will have a no brainer.
Thoughts on that? Who you got?

Ayton, and I hope he ends up in NBA purgatory..

Ayton all day, twice on Sunday. He's just as skilled as Bagley offensively, much better than Bagley defensively, and in terms of physique, he may have the best body of any NBA prospect in years.

Reactions: AirZona
Jaren Jackson Jr.........

(He is younger than Bagley and Bagley reclassified)

Ayton and its not even close.

But there are about 7 legit first overall draft picks in this years draft.

In most years

Ayton, Doncic, JJJ, Bagley, Porter JR, Trae, and Bamba would all be legitimate top 3 picks.

Reactions: Big_C_KU

In most years

Ayton, Doncic, JJJ, Bagley, Porter JR, Trae, and Bamba would all be legitimate top 3 picks.

Trae?

M46Xvbl.gif

I’d be very, very surprised if Bagley was taken first. So it’s definitely Ayton or Doncic.

I really don’t know how to phrase this, but I think Bagley has the highest floor, but is most likely (of those 3) to reach that floor. Given the minutes, MB3 will average at least 18/20 and 8/10 in the NBA. I’m skeptical of ever seeing be an actually decent defender, though.

I like Wendell Carter nore as a prospect abd would definitely draft him over Bagley but thats not a widely shared opinionso I didnt include him in the #1 pick pool.

I like Wendell Carter nore as a prospect abd would definitely draft him over Bagley but thats not a widely shared opinionso I didnt include him in the #1 pick pool.
I’ve struggled with this immensely. I don’t think I’d have the balls to pull the trigger in the end, but I’m not sure you’re wrong.

Interesting. I didn't think Ayton had enough east coast exposure to get this much support. It'd sure be cool to see them match up in the tourney, but it's more likely Ayton would guard Carter, I guess. Ayton could fill out to be one of the best pure NBA big guys in a long time. The point about defense is well taken. Not sure who's responsibility it was, but Luke Maye got open in the center of the lane for the pivot 10' J all last night.
I've heard of Doncic but never seen him play. Met a Slovenian guy at a resort in MX a few weeks ago who played at Spartenburg, the same JC league I played in for Brevard, NC, but 30 years later. He said look out for Doncic. He'd have to pdg to be worth more to an NBA than Ayton or Bagley. The Nike Hoop Summit could be fun this year.

Going into this season I would have taken Bagley, but its Ayton now. Even if I try to be an anti homer, I still would take Ayton.

This NBA.

Bagley

Could be really good in Pick N Roll defense.

#1?? You must draft for the bobcats.

Trae Youngs numbers are superior to Steph Currys as a 21 year old junior against much tougher competition and far superior to Donovan Mitchells.

But let me guess, youd take Devonte Graham "because he wins" or some other lolcasualfan narrative?

Theres never been a 19 year old in the modern history of the draft lead the nation in points and assists as a true frosh. Not only is he leading the nation in assists, hes doing it on a team that went 11-20 and had a sub 100 offense last year without him.

He wouldve gone #1 last year easily. Lolcollege fans

• Love
Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Between Ayton and Bagley? Ayton for sure. I think Doncic or Ayton go #1. JJJ would be 3rd for me.

Tonight kinda ended the debate for me. I’d go with Ayton, but the top 5 in this draft have a lot of superstar potential.

In most years

Not buying Bamba. Needs to add significant weight and strength and is beyond raw offensively.

Ayton, for sure.... after watching him dismantle a solid SC squad. I hate that the P12 finals is too late for even right coaster to watch.

Trae Youngs numbers are superior to Steph Currys as a 21 year old junior against much tougher competition and far superior to Donovan Mitchells.

But let me guess, youd take Devonte Graham "because he wins" or some other lolcasualfan narrative?

Theres never been a 19 year old in the modern history of the draft lead the nation in points and assists as a true frosh. Not only is he leading the nation in assists, hes doing it on a team that went 11-20 and had a sub 100 offense last year without him.

He wouldve gone #1 last year easily. Lolcollege fans
I know he makes your panties drop, but his conference performance against actual solid defense exposed a ton of flaws. Esp not being able to take care of the ball as a point guard and below average ability to recognize what is and is not, a good shot. I wonder how many of his ill advised 35 footers early in the clock directly resulted in points for the other team? He is a very talented player, but he has some serious flaws.

I know he makes your panties drop, but his conference performance against actual solid defense exposed a ton of flaws. Esp not being able to take care of the ball as a point guard and below average ability to recognize what is and is not, a good shot. I wonder how many of his ill advised 35 footers early in the clock directly resulted in points for the other team? He is a very talented player, but he has some serious flaws.

You are biased because you are a Kansas fan that watches an unselfish, all aroubd skilled offense operate.

Was just looking at Kansas offensive numbers in the Big12 tournament and they have been amazing. They spread you out, everyone can dribble drive, and if you help off any of them they just pass it out to an open 3 point shooter who drills 3s.

Oklahoma was this team in the non con, all because of Trae Young. He would get into the lane, draw an extra defender and kick it out for an open 3 or his teammates would drive past the close out defender and kick it back out to Trae who would drill a 3.

Then teams started defending Oklahoma differently. They started face guarding Trae off the ball at halfcourt and daring his teammates to beat them. Only his teammates are awful so they cant create 4 on 4 and arent converting at a good enough clip when Trae creates for them.

Like Ive said many times before, if Trae picked Kansas theyd have one, maybe 2 loses total, probably have the most efficient offense weve ever seen, and Graham and Trae would trade assists to each other or Svi all game.

But he didnt choose Kansas, he chose an offensively limited Oklahoma team and so now people cant contextualize whats happening. They see Oklahoma struggling to win and incorrectly blame it all on the guy who is the obly reason theyve won at all because they dont understand basketball

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
You are biased because you are a Kansas fan that watches an unselfish, all aroubd skilled offense operate.

Was just looking at Kansas offensive numbers in the Big12 tournament and they have been amazing. They spread you out, everyone can dribble drive, and if you help off any of them they just pass it out to an open 3 point shooter who drills 3s.

Oklahoma was this team in the non con, all because of Trae Young. He would get into the lane, draw an extra defender and kick it out for an open 3 or his teammates would drive past the close out defender and kick it back out to Trae who would drill a 3.

Then teams started defending Oklahoma differently. They started face guarding Trae off the ball at halfcourt and daring his teammates to beat them. Only his teammates are awful so they cant create 4 on 4 and arent converting at a good enough clip when Trae creates for them.

Like Ive said many times before, if Trae picked Kansas theyd have one, maybe 2 loses total, probably have the most efficient offense weve ever seen, and Graham and Trae would trade assists to each other or Svi all game.

But he didnt choose Kansas, he chose an offensively limited Oklahoma team and so now people cant contextualize whats happening. They see Oklahoma struggling to win and incorrectly blame it all on the guy who is the obly reason theyve won at all because they dont understand basketball
This is the most reasonable post you’ve made on young and I’ll leave it at that.

I've been telling my NBA group of buddies the same thing for a month. Give me Carter over Bagley.

Interesting. I didn't think Ayton had enough east coast exposure to get this much support. It'd sure be cool to see them match up in the tourney, but it's more likely Ayton would guard Carter, I guess. Ayton could fill out to be one of the best pure NBA big guys in a long time. The point about defense is well taken. Not sure who's responsibility it was, but Luke Maye got open in the center of the lane for the pivot 10' J all last night.
I've heard of Doncic but never seen him play. Met a Slovenian guy at a resort in MX a few weeks ago who played at Spartenburg, the same JC league I played in for Brevard, NC, but 30 years later. He said look out for Doncic. He'd have to pdg to be worth more to an NBA than Ayton or Bagley. The Nike Hoop Summit could be fun this year.

This is a college basketball board full of fanatics. Pretty sure we've all made sure to see Ayton play a few times.

Anyway, Doncic is ridiculous. I think Ayton has the better chance of reaching his full potential, but Doncic's ceiling is higher. And at the number 1 selection, I want the guy with the highest potential...especially if it's a guy who will touch the ball more. Doncic could end up being a 6'6 or 6'7 Dwayne Wade.

I think it’s Ayton for sure. Dude has the body of Karl Malone and the skill set of Karl Anthony Towns. He will dominate.

I’d say this draft class has a clear top 7 ( Ayton, Bagley, JJJ, Doncic, Bamba, MPJ, and Trae young) and some really solid lottery picks outside of that (Collin Sexton, Wendell Carter, Mikal and Miles Bridges, SGA, Kevin Knox). So with all this talent, I’m confused why people are saying this draft class is average. I think this is the best draft class for big men I think I’ve ever seen, and some really solid wings. While I understand this draft class isn’t necessarily deep, I feel that the top is extremely loaded.

ADVERTISEMENT