ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
It’s two days away now. Banchero has shot up to the odds on favorite to go number 1, which IMO he should have been from the start. He has real star potential and a team like Orlando has a bunch of nice pieces but doesn’t have their guy yet.

As a Pistons fan, I’m praying Ivey falls to 5. It seems like Chet, Paulo, and Smith are the top 3 pretty locked in and I don’t think Houston or OKC would take him based on who they already have. And the Kings seem to love Keegan Murray. Having Cade/Ivey backcourt for years to come has me salivating.

Reactions: dukedevilz
It’s two days away now. Banchero has shot up to the odds on favorite to go number 1, which IMO he should have been from the start. He has real star potential and a team like Orlando has a bunch of nice pieces but doesn’t have their guy yet.

As a Pistons fan, I’m praying Ivey falls to 5. It seems like Chet, Paulo, and Smith are the top 3 pretty locked in and I don’t think Houston or OKC would take him based on who they already have. And the Kings seem to love Keegan Murray. Having Cade/Ivey backcourt for years to come has me salivating.

Ivey at 5? Sheesh, that would be phenomenal for Detroit. I'd still take him at #1.

Reactions: KisteK and MGC_07
Ivey at 5? Sheesh, that would be phenomenal for Detroit. I'd still take him at #1.
I think the biggest thing we’re concerned about is someone trading with the Kings to get that pick. Ivey hasn’t worked out for the Kings and has said in interviews he wants to be a Piston (he grew up a fan). And I just don’t see any of the top 3 taking him based on their rosters. Was a little nervous about the Rockets but with them trading Wood it’s clear they’re opening up space for their big man rookie.

I would take him 1 or 2 though, I totally agree. He has superstar potential.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Some later in the draft people I’m a fan of

Malaki Branham
Nikola Jovic
Marjon Beauchamp
Jordan Hall in the second

I think the biggest thing we’re concerned about is someone trading with the Kings to get that pick. Ivey hasn’t worked out for the Kings and has said in interviews he wants to be a Piston (he grew up a fan). And I just don’t see any of the top 3 taking him based on their rosters. Was a little nervous about the Rockets but with them trading Wood it’s clear they’re opening up space for their big man rookie.

I would take him 1 or 2 though, I totally agree. He has superstar potential.

Fortunately, you are talking about the Kings. They don't exactly have a good track record for selecting the best players in the lottery.

The Kings took Tyreke Evans and Jimmer Fredette over Stephen Curry and Klay Thompson. They also took Thomas Robinson, Ben McLemore, and Marvin Bagley over Damian Lillard, CJ McCollum, and Luka Doncic, respectively. Outside of Cousins in 2010, Fox in 2017, and Haliburton in 2020, their draft history has been quite abysmal.

Sacramento- #4 Tyreke Evans
Golden State- #7 Stephen Curry

Sacramento- #10 Jimmer Fredette
Golden State- #11 Klay Thompson

Sacramento- #5 Thomas Robinson
Portland- #6 Damian Lilliard

Sacramento- #7 Ben McLemore
Portalnd- #10 CJ McCollum

2014- Nik Stauskas
2015- Willie Cauley-Stein

Sacramento- #8 Marquese Chriss
OKC- #11 Domantas Sabonis

Sacramento- #2 Marvin Bagley
Dallas- #3 Luka Doncic

Reactions: MGC_07

I know Ivey is a popular pick for Detroit fans, I just feel dude is fragile. I also don't want Murray going to the Kings.

Reactions: RichieRebel
I know Ivey is a popular pick for Detroit fans, I just feel dude is fragile. I also don't want Murray going to the Kings.
I’d also be happy with Murray, I’m probably the most certain he’ll be a good pro out of just about anyone. No matter how you slice it he’s a guy who can impact winning.

Banchero at 1 to me is nuts. He’s got a high floor but I’m not even sure he’s the fourth highest ceiling in this draft. Feels like Bagley or Jabari Parker all over.

Jabari Smith and Jaden Ivey are the clear top 2 for me in terms of potential ceiling in today’s NBA. Ivey could be special.

Banchero at 1 to me is nuts. He’s got a high floor but I’m not even sure he’s the fourth highest ceiling in this draft. Feels like Bagley or Jabari Parker all over.

Jabari Smith and Jaden Ivey are the clear top 2 for me in terms of potential ceiling in today’s NBA. Ivey could be special.
He’s not as bad defensively as them and while he’s not elite there, I don’t think he can’t develop that part. Ivey is in the same camp as him in that regard. I was someone openly not a big fan of Bagley coming into that draft and have proven to be right. Maybe I’m off, but I think Banchero is different, more permitter and ball skills, a better defender, and moves better.

Personally, I love Jabari Smith and am really high on him as player. But I’m more scared of Banchero with the ball in his hands. That’s just me though, you probably saw more of him than I did. I will say I’m a little biased, it seemed every Auburn game I caught Smith never wowed me but Banchero definitely did in the Duke games I watched.

I know you guys are all talking about the top picks, but I'm interested to see if Bryson Williams gets drafted. I just feel he's a NBA guy. I'll be really surprised if he can't carve out a spot for himself in the league for a few years anyway.

He’s not as bad defensively as them and while he’s not elite there, I don’t think he can’t develop that part. Ivey is in the same camp as him in that regard. I was someone openly not a big fan of Bagley coming into that draft and have proven to be right. Maybe I’m off, but I think Banchero is different, more permitter and ball skills, a better defender, and moves better.

Personally, I love Jabari Smith and am really high on him as player. But I’m more scared of Banchero with the ball in his hands. That’s just me though, you probably saw more of him than I did. I will say I’m a little biased, it seemed every Auburn game I caught Smith never wowed me but Banchero definitely did in the Duke games I watched.

On multiple occasions last season (including in the NCAAT), Banchero shied away from the moment when it was close late. I thought maybe it was a fluke when I saw it happen court side in Tallahassee. But it kept happening. Last few minutes of a close game and he’s barely touching the ball, he’s sort of drifting around not taking over and not even doing the little things that allow you to win a close game.

That is a monstrous red flag for anyone being discussed in the top 2-3 picks.

Reactions: WheelerG and MGC_07

where you seeing that about Banchero? I've never heard anything other than Banchero being a lock for #3.

Really hope Ivey doesn’t go to Sacramento. I’m a Pacer fan but could live with Ivey going to Detroit because the fit would be a good one there.

With Detroit moving Grant, Ivey and Cade would make an outstanding pairing.
I agree, and our fanbase wants him badly.

Unfortunately for us, the kings are essentially going to take the highest bidder for Ivey at 4 (he won’t play for them) and that’s unlikely to be the Pistons. If we do stick at 5, I prefer Mautherin over Murray but would be fine with either.

With Detroit having the most cap space by a mile, there are some rumors that we absorb the Heyward contract from the Hornets and get pick 13 or 15 with it so they can sign their young guys and have more flexibility.

I’d really like that for us. He’s still a good player and good veteran presence who’s contract expires when Cade is up for an extension.

Woj just tweeted basically confirming it’s going to be Jabari then Chet then Paulo
lol, what was up with that sudden increase in Paolo stock? Is that just a trick the betting parlours do to get more action? As of today, Jabari is a massive favorite to go #1.

John Collins probably getting traded.

Really looking forward to trades.

Wondering if Nets try moving Irving.
makes no sense. There's no Collins trade out there that makes the Hawks better in the short run. And you think Trae is interested in long term moves? Unless it's part of some star deal that no one knows about it doesn't make much sense to trade Collins for a draft pick, even if it's in the lottery. Unless it's #4 and we're not getting #4 for Collins.

Off topic a bit, but can someone tell me how Sean Marks, the current GM of the Nets, played 11 years in the NBA?

I remember when he first started playing for Cal - and he was behind freaking Tony Gonzalez in the rotation for his first couple of seasons (The NFL Tight End). Thought he was absolutely awful as an underclassmen. Got a little better as an upperclassmen, but nothing struck out to me like, "Yep, this guy is definitely going to be drafted." And he was. As a senior he had an effective fg percentage below 49%.

Obviously the game was different in the late 90's/early 2000's. But still hard to believe this guy lasted in the NBA for 11 years!! Funny stat about him: Only once did he play more than 30 games in a season. He must have been the last guy on the roster every single season lol. I can't help but think his teammates must have really liked him. How else could someone that ineffective last that long in the league?

Really any draft or even award, if u look at the vegas betting faves, their track record is almost immaculate. Esp when it gets closer and closer to time. Hell they even kbow whose gonna win the oscars and ish like that it’s crazy

I agree, and our fanbase wants him badly.

Unfortunately for us, the kings are essentially going to take the highest bidder for Ivey at 4 (he won’t play for them) and that’s unlikely to be the Pistons. If we do stick at 5, I prefer Mautherin over Murray but would be fine with either.

What about giving the Kings Bey, the pick you just acquired (36), and swap 4/5?

makes no sense. There's no Collins trade out there that makes the Hawks better in the short run. And you think Trae is interested in long term moves? Unless it's part of some star deal that no one knows about it doesn't make much sense to trade Collins for a draft pick, even if it's in the lottery. Unless it's #4 and we're not getting #4 for Collins.
Twitter is addicting, some info good some not. I feel like I saw Collins name a few places.

Here's one crazy rumor.

This is the other one I saw

What about giving the Kings Bey, the pick you just acquired (36), and swap 4/5?
Man, Bey and and an early second to move up 1 spot is tough. I don’t know if I’d do that. Bey as a second year player averaged 16/5/3. I think the Pistons want to keep him around.

I would do that deal if we have up an Isaiah Stewart or a future first instead of Bey. I like him next to Cade and just as a piece moving forward.

I may be being greedy, but Bey looked like a star at times last year. Giving him away to move up from 5 to 4 and and early second just wouldn’t sit right with me.

Would I rather have Saddiq Bey, Ben Mathurin, and our early second rounder going forward or Jaden Ivey? Tough call.

Man, Bey and and an early second to move up 1 spot is tough. I don’t know if I’d do that. Bey as a second year player averaged 16/5/3. I think the Pistons want to keep him around.

I would do that deal if we have up an Isaiah Stewart or a future first instead of Bey. I like him next to Cade and just as a piece moving forward.

I may be being greedy, but Bey looked like a star at times last year. Giving him away to move up from 5 to 4 and and early second just wouldn’t sit right with me.

I’m probably biased because I believe Ivey is a future star. Like, I’d consider him at 1. So getting the number 1-2 guy on my board at 4 would be a steal for me (if I was GM).

You can find guys like Bey in a lot of ways. They are in every draft and they can be acquired with trade exceptions and through FA. You can’t find guys like Ja and Ivey growing on trees.

Would I rather have Saddiq Bey, Ben Mathurin, and our early second rounder going forward or Jaden Ivey? Tough call.
I think you go with Ivey. Bey is a quality player tough to weigh in on Mathurin. But Ivey/Cade gives you a backcourt kinda like those old Blazer squads with Dame/CJ in terms of 2 dudes that are very high end, or could be.

I’m probably biased because I believe Ivey is a future star. Like, I’d consider him at 1.
I would also. Of course he's not there yet, but he reminds me of Mitchell. He can get the shot he wants whenever he wants it, there's just something about how Ivey carries himself. Explosive but also kind of calculating.

I always lean towards the G unless that front line player is just sure fire 10+ All Star and I'm not sure Jabari is. But I do like Jabari a lot.

Reactions: GE Nole
I’m probably biased because I believe Ivey is a future star. Like, I’d consider him at 1. So getting the number 1-2 guy on my board at 4 would be a steal for me (if I was GM).

You can find guys like Bey in a lot of ways. They are in every draft and they can be acquired with trade exceptions and through FA. You can’t find guys like Ja and Ivey growing on trees.
That’s completely fair. If the Pistons we’re to do this deal in combination with absorbing Heywards contract with our massive cap space to get like pick 13 and take Ochai or someone like that with it I’m fine. Like you said, Bey is replaceable and I think Ochai could fill that hole.

Take Jaden Ivey. All day. Absolutely swap the 4/5 picks. Ivey has the ceiling of someone worth taking with the 1st overall pick.

I don't think Detroit would need to make the trade beforehand, however. There's a chance Sacramento takes someone else.

Reactions: GE Nole
ADVERTISEMENT