ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Talk

endicott

May 9, 2010
Who you got?

I feel like Olivier Hanlan is going to be pretty good, and we'll look back and it'll seem obvious that it was going to happen. Classic combo who is great in the P&R should translate well to the NBA. Star? No. But, with the potential to get him in the 40's or 50's, I see him being a great value, considering I see him as a less athletic Brandon Knight.

Dakari Johnson
Chris Wood
Tyus Jones
Delon Wright
Rj Hunter

Really like the first round of draft, don't like many in second round

Let's broaden this bish up, and open it to all draft talk. Don't get too rowdy, guys.

Really love the value of Stanley Johnson in the mid lottery. Both he and Justise have such valuable worst case scenarios. Also...

6'6 --- 6'5.75"; Height w/o Shoes
229 --- 236; Weight
6'10 --- 7'1; Wingspan
8'8 --- 8'9; Standing Reach

Justise Winslow;Draymond Green

Just found that interesting.

Does philly still have multiple picks again this year? Seems like they have the stockpiled last few years.

I'm in no way advocating Justise to see any time at the 4 in the NBA, btw. Just interesting w/ the success the Warriors have had with Barnes and Green, it adds just another dynamic considering Justise played his best at the 4 @ Duke.

I was just remembering some of the sleepers I swore by

Craig Brackins
Arnett Moultrie
Erick Green
Lorenzo Brown

Sorry Olivier, you had a great collegiate career, tho.

Oh, yeah, Scoop Jardine had "it" and James Michael-McAdoo was a super sleeper. OK, I'm done now.

Wait...There was a 0% chance someone with Stanley Robinson's size and athleticism wasn't consistently on a roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: HolmesWildcat
- I don't know what to think about Devin Booker. In January, I thought the kid could be another Klay Thompson. He was cocky as hell, hitting everything, showed some potential off the bounce, was an excellent finisher in transition and was even a better defender than I thought he would be.

Then, the last two months of the season, he went cold and was so bad on D that teams targeted him in a way they used to with Wiltjer- whoever he was guarding, ISO.

- Wondering why Bobby Portis' stock isn't higher. 6'11", plays hard, has an edge, can shoot from the outside.

- I think Trey Lyles is a steal anywhere past Top 10. I think he's the perfect modern 4-man and would have been a Top 5 pick in '16.

- Second round value picks: Qualls (elite athlete), McCullogh (potential), Vaughn.

Reactions: Sparty1045
I love Kaminsky, escpecially where he is projected outside the lottery. There are 7 footers who played in the league for a decade and never developed the skills he had as a junior in college. I love him as a PF at the next level. I see his ceiling up there with Pau Gasol.

Jerian Grant seems WAY undervalued too. 6-5 PG that can score from all over the court, he's athletic, nearly led the country in assists, plays extrememly well out of the P&R, and has NBA blood. Reminds me of a better passing Victor Oladipo.

Rakeem Christmas is a 2nd round pick I would love to have. Perfect PF off the bench at the next level. Took him a while to get going in Boeheim's system at Cuse, but he was better than Okafor last year in the ACC. Paul Millsap clone.

I know all these guys are older, but they already have the tools that these guys with "potential" hope to one day develop.

Reactions: KisteK
RJ Hunter is a nice sleeper first round pick. Figures to be taken late so he'll get into a winning team type of situation and will more than likely have a good mentor. Good size, coach's son, has a lot of tools.

2nd rd sleeper Tyler Harvey Eastern Washington, guy can score it.

Rakeem Christmas is a 2nd round pick I would love to have. Perfect PF off the bench at the next level. Took him a while to get going in Boeheim's system at Cuse, but he was better than Okafor last year in the ACC. Paul Millsap clone..
Wut?

Christmas is a center, through and through. Sap is much stronger and Christmas has shown very little jump shot.

Wut?

Christmas is a center, through and through. Sap is much stronger and Christmas has shown very little jump shot.
Why can't Christmas play PF at the next level? He's no more a center than Karl Towns is a PF. Christmas was a beast this year and unstoppable at times in the paint. When I say he played better than Okafor, that was primarily due to his work on the defensive end where he was one of the best in the country. He has nice touch - shot 71% from FT - and used his midrange game when the defender sagged. A great 2nd round get imo.

I think Grant is going to be a good pro

I think okafor will get pushed around and scored on by some of the crafty older bigs in NBA .....and before anyone gets mad. I think wcs is in the same boat.

Kaminsky could go,either way. He could be a little like dirk Or like the college star Morrison. Not so good at next level.....
KAT and lyles will have long pro careers. They fit in with their skill sets.
Winslow and Stanley Johnson fit this mold as well. They will be in the NBA for a while with their abilities
Portis could be the next eric dampier. Always need for a big with a motor and tough side

Reactions: jarms24
I love Kaminsky, escpecially where he is projected outside the lottery. There are 7 footers who played in the league for a decade and never developed the skills he had as a junior in college. I love him as a PF at the next level. I see his ceiling up there with Pau Gasol.

Jerian Grant seems WAY undervalued too. 6-5 PG that can score from all over the court, he's athletic, nearly led the country in assists, plays extrememly well out of the P&R, and has NBA blood. Reminds me of a better passing Victor Oladipo.

Rakeem Christmas is a 2nd round pick I would love to have. Perfect PF off the bench at the next level. Took him a while to get going in Boeheim's system at Cuse, but he was better than Okafor last year in the ACC. Paul Millsap clone.

I know all these guys are older, but they already have the tools that these guys with "potential" hope to one day develop.

Christmas better than Okafor? C'mon bro.

Why can't Christmas play PF at the next level? He's no more a center than Karl Towns is a PF. Christmas was a beast this year and unstoppable at times in the paint. When I say he played better than Okafor, that was primarily due to his work on the defensive end where he was one of the best in the country. He has nice touch - shot 71% from FT - and used his midrange game when the defender sagged. A great 2nd round get imo.
Because he doesn't have the skills to. He doesn't have a reliable offensive game outside of 8 feet. You say Paul Millsap, I say Shelden Williams.

Because he doesn't have the skills to. He doesn't have a reliable offensive game outside of 8 feet. You say Paul Millsap, I say Shelden Williams.
Sheldon Williams is a great comparison (5th overall pick by the way), and maybe David Lee is the better comparison as a ceiling. Keep in mind, I'm saying great PF off the bench. There are quite a few starting power forwards in the league without a reliable jump shot, 2 of them are playing for a spot in the ECF. Christmas is a steal at where he is projected.

- I don't know what to think about Devin Booker. In January, I thought the kid could be another Klay Thompson. He was cocky as hell, hitting everything, showed some potential off the bounce, was an excellent finisher in transition and was even a better defender than I thought he would be.

Then, the last two months of the season, he went cold and was so bad on D that teams targeted him in a way they used to with Wiltjer- whoever he was guarding, ISO.

- Wondering why Bobby Portis' stock isn't higher. 6'11", plays hard, has an edge, can shoot from the outside.

- I think Trey Lyles is a steal anywhere past Top 10. I think he's the perfect modern 4-man and would have been a Top 5 pick in '16.

- Second round value picks: Qualls (elite athlete), McCullogh (potential), Vaughn.

It's kinda crazy the same thing happened to Brannen Greene at Kansas. He had a stretch where he looked so good and fell off sharply the last third of the season. Granted he did have to have hip surgery after the season, but he looked helpless on defense and lost his sharp shooting touch.

I think Grant is going to be a good pro

I think okafor will get pushed around and scored on by some of the crafty older bigs in NBA .....and before anyone gets mad. I think wcs is in the same boat.

Kaminsky could go,either way. He could be a little like dirk Or like the college star Morrison. Not so good at next level.....
KAT and lyles will have long pro careers. They fit in with their skill sets.
Winslow and Stanley Johnson fit this mold as well. They will be in the NBA for a while with their abilities
Portis could be the next eric dampier. Always need for a big with a motor and tough side

Call me crazy, but Lyles might end up with the best career out of all the UK draft picks

Call me crazy, but Lyles might end up with the best career out of all the UK draft picks
I think your spot on. He has something that has been lost over the years. That 10-14 foot shot That is what he is best at. That alone with his touch will keep him in the league

Yes, Christmas played better than Okafor this past year.

You sure? He sure didn't play better when they faced each other twice this year.

He had slightly better overall #'s than Okafor:

Christmas- 17.5 ppg, 9.1 reb, 55% FG, 71% FT
Okafor- 17.3 ppg, 8.5 reb, 66% FG, HORRIBLE FT SHOOTER

But, ok.

I think your spot on. He has something that has been lost over the years. That 10-14 foot shot That is what he is best at. That alone with his touch will keep him in the league
He is also an underrated athlete. He runs the floor very well and finishes very well too. I think Lyles is going to be a multiple time all star. Of course going to the right system will have something to do with that, as it does every player. I just think Lyles is the perfect fit for the NBA pick and roll/pop plays that are run on every half court trip.

Reactions: KisteK
You sure? He sure didn't play better when they faced each other twice this year.

He had slightly better overall #'s than Okafor:

Christmas- 17.5 ppg, 9.1 reb, 55% FG, 71% FT
Okafor- 17.3 ppg, 8.5 reb, 66% FG, HORRIBLE FT SHOOTER

But, ok.
Offensively they were close, and I'd give Okafor the edge. But defensively, Christmas was miles ahead and ranked 2nd for ACC defensive POY. Christmas didn't have the benefit of scoring weapons all around him either, so defenses were always collapsed on him. I love Okafor - I just think Christmas had the better season (senior vs. freshman)

Offensively they were close, and I'd give Okafor the edge. But defensively, Christmas was miles ahead and ranked 2nd for ACC defensive POY. Christmas didn't have the benefit of scoring weapons all around him either, so defenses were always collapsed on him. I love Okafor - I just think Christmas had the better season (senior vs. freshman)

I would be the last to compliment Okafor on his defense but just like Okafor had more weapons (which could be argued that he could've had more points without those weapons), Christmas played exclusively in a zone defense, which can hide deficiencies and protect players more. Christmas certainly improved more from last year to this year, but I just can't say he had the better season over Okafor, especially since Okafor shut him down twice and Christmas plays in a defense that didn't expose individual weaknesses like the one Okafor played in.

I just think Christmas had the better season (senior vs. freshman)
Makes you wonder how great these players would be if they stayed (or had to stay) at least a few years. Jah is going to be fine regardless, but I wonder what 2-3 years with Coach K would have done. Shaq played 3 years in college and came into the NBA all the better for it. And the college game was even better.

UK could have been absolutely insane with a 3-year rule. Imagine juniors Davis/MKG with UK's team this year.

Reactions: KDcats11
I would be the last to compliment Okafor on his defense but just like Okafor had more weapons (which could be argued that he could've had more points without those weapons), Christmas played exclusively in a zone defense, which can hide deficiencies and protect players more. Christmas certainly improved more from last year to this year, but I just can't say he had the better season over Okafor, especially since Okafor shut him down twice and Christmas plays in a defense that didn't expose individual weaknesses like the one Okafor played in.
I can definitely understand that POV. Okafor dominated in the head to head matchups.

Robert Upshaw - 6'11 w/o shoes, 7'5.5" wingspan and 9'5 standing reach.

F%&*...

I'm in no way advocating Justise to see any time at the 4 in the NBA, btw. Just interesting w/ the success the Warriors have had with Barnes and Green, it adds just another dynamic considering Justise played his best at the 4 @ Duke.

The Warriors are successful playing small ball because Draymond is one of (if not the) best defensive players in the NBA. He can guard 1-5 and is able to negate the pick and roll because he can switch on to everyone. If Winslow can be that type of defender, then he could be pretty successful at the 4. But he is probably suited for the 3.

Justise measured in at 6'4.5" w/o shoes today, which changes everything, Pretty ludicrous to put him at the 4 in the NBA to begin with, now it's just not feasible(it would seem).

Justise measured in at 6'4.5" w/o shoes today, which changes everything, Pretty ludicrous to put him at the 4 in the NBA to begin with, now it's just not feasible(it would seem).
Wow. I would have never thought he would measure that short. Hell the Harrison twins are bigger and would have never believed that. We all might eat some crow on the twins at the next level

Justise will be fine. He will be a good NBA player. He just fits the mold with his skill set

He and Drummond on the floor at the same time would be great defensively and a dumpster fire on offense.

Well actually the last time the Pistons were good, they were a defense-oriented team. They've sucked defensively for a while, that's why I want WCS. Kaminsky would be nice as well, but I've been hearing they're going to take a SF in the first round.

Well actually the last time the Pistons were good, they were a defense-oriented team. They've sucked defensively for a while, that's why I want WCS. Kaminsky would be nice as well, but I've been hearing they're going to take a SF in the first round.

I agree on the premise just that our 4 (sheed) was a guy who could do so much offensively. I agree on Kaminsky actually despite the lack of athleticism I'd love to see him on the pistons

I agree on the premise just that our 4 (sheed) was a guy who could do so much offensively. I agree on Kaminsky actually despite the lack of athleticism I'd love to see him on the pistons

Christmas didn't have the benefit of scoring weapons all around him either, so defenses were always collapsed on him. I love Okafor - I just think Christmas had the better season (senior vs. freshman)

This argument makes no sense as okafor faced double and triple teams all season long

ADVERTISEMENT