ADVERTISEMENT

NBA Draft Lottery

MGC_07

Jun 29, 2016
For those of us with shitty teams, tonight is the biggest night in a while for our favorite teams.

Pistons are tied for the best odds for #1. I’d love to get Cade, but anywhere in the top 4 I wouldn’t be too mad, I think Mobley, Green, and Suggs have serious star potential. I’m not a huge Kuminga fan, we’ve seen these kind of hyper athletes that don’t have a jumper and don’t defend well and it seems they rarely end up developing well.

I’ll be praying to the basketball gods today.

Cunningham and Suggs seem the safest always get a little concerned about big men and injuries. Scottie Barnes could be a good one too. Not sure how high up he'd go?

Reactions: MGC_07
Cunningham and Suggs seem the safest always get a little concerned about big men and injuries. Scottie Barnes could be a good one too. Not sure how high up he'd go?
If the Pistons fall to 5 or 6, I would love to take Scottie Barnes. I think Mobley is a risky pick but I’m a huge believer in him, I think he is the future of the big man position and is so talented at both ends.

I am not qualified whatsoever, but my big board would be

1. Cade Cunningham
2. Evan Mobley
3. Jalen Suggs
4. Jalen Green
5. Scottie Barnes
6. Jonathan Kuminga
7. Moses Moody
8. Keon Johnson
9. Kai Jones
10. James Bouknight

feels weird to not have this date circled like it's a national holiday. Didn't even know it was tonight.

Now I'm just reduced to cheering against the teams I don't like and couldn't stomach a player I like going there. The Clevelands and Detroits of the world.

feels weird to not have this date circled like it's a national holiday. Didn't even know it was tonight.

Now I'm just reduced to cheering against the teams I don't like and couldn't stomach a player I like going there. The Clevelands and Detroits of the world.
This is geared toward UK fans, but dates are there. Future dates as well

tifwiw

Detroit is actually headed in the right direction for the first time in over a decade. Killian Hayes got hurt, but came back and was solid to end the year. Then our 2 late teens picks made First Team all rookie and Second Team all rookie, Saddiq Bey and Isaiah Stewart. Another highly drafted piece to add to this core and we can start rolling.

I’m biased, but I think Detroit or Cleveland is a better situation for them to develop and become stars than a Minnesota or a Golden State.

If Detroit had a shot at Cunningham would Hayes be traded?
Size wise playing them together wouldn’t be an issue. They’re both big guards. And having a bunch of playmakers is never a bad thing. I think they could coexist easier than Sexton/Garland in Cleveland. My only concern would be Hayes 3 ball. Is he a good enough shooter to play the 2?

I think Green fits more nicely. A starting lineup of

Killian Hayes
Jalen Green
Saddiq Bey
Jerami Grant
Isaiah Stewart

Is actually pretty nasty and maybe not a playoff next year but very well could be down the road.

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Who cares. The NBA is without a doubt the worst professional sport. And I love college hoops.

Detroit is actually headed in the right direction for the first time in over a decade. Killian Hayes got hurt, but came back and was solid to end the year. Then our 2 late teens picks made First Team all rookie and Second Team all rookie, Saddiq Bey and Isaiah Stewart. Another highly drafted piece to add to this core and we can start rolling.

I’m biased, but I think Detroit or Cleveland is a better situation for them to develop and become stars than a Minnesota or a Golden State.
Right direction or not, I’m from Chicago so I hate all things Detroit sports. Except those 10 years I spent being a Lions fan when they had Barry Sanders. I discovered and followed him in college/pros the same way I’m doing it now with Trae. As you know, you don’t know true sports suffering and misery until you are a diehard Lions fan.

They used to say Dean Smith is the only person who ever held MJ under 20. Similarly, the Detroit Lions organization is the only reason Barry Sanders isn’t unanimously considered the GOAT football player.

Reactions: UL_1986
Kai Jones is one of the most interesting players in the draft.

He possibly has the highest ceiling
But the numbers aren’t there. At times looks like he may never catch up to his body
Well known that he was a track guy who had a growth spurt. Ended up playing basketball

I can see a NBA GM go all end on him because he is a Giannis starter kit
But the chance of him reaching that peak is very low.

You could also see him drop down to the high teens.
We will see
I don’t know enough about some of these players to make that determination.

From what I seeing. A lot of Spurs fans will be happy if he gets in the middle of the two and goes right down the road

Is there anyway to see a list of the top 20 vertical jumpers in combine history? Would love to see how that stat/skill leads to good NBA players.

Reactions: WeAreDePaul
Is there anyway to see a list of the top 20 vertical jumpers in combine history? Would love to see how that stat/skill leads to good NBA players.

Mostly average players. Although most of the highly rated prospects skip the draft combine. Hard to gauge too much from this.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Mostly average players. Although most of the highly rated prospects skip the draft combine. Hard to gauge too much from this.

saying they are mostly average is giving them too much credit. Most of those guys aren't even NBA players.

I’ve been looking forward to this draft for 2 years. So loaded. Anywhere from 4 to 6 teams could get franchise defining talents, and guys who will be drafted in the 12-16 range are as good as a standard year’s 8-10 pick.

Have to imagine OKC packages some picks and tries to move up. Cleveland would
be where I’d target. Personally, if I were Cleveland I’d take Green or Suggs and ship Sexton out. Suggs and Garland would be an awesome pair. Sexton just isn’t a guy to build around. Not overly efficient and not interested in D.

But it seems like Cleveland is content with Sexton and if that’s the case then the best move is to trade down to 6, acquire 16 or 18 from OKC in the process, and draft someone like Scottie Barnes. Barnes and Okoro would terrorize the passing lanes.

As a Warriors fan, I was a bit disappointed to not have the Minnesota pick land at 4. However, if Barnes falls to 7, it almost seems like a perfect fit. Imagine Barnes developing under Dray, he’s basically a slightly better shooting Dray. And both fiery as hell.

Detroit with the windfall of Cade. Him, Bey, and Grant…wow. Trade Killian for a veteran 3 and D guy and suddenly you have a dangerous team.

Happy for Detroit. They were my favorite team as a kid. Last decade has been rough.

Reactions: UL_1986
Do you care about Duke players in the NBA?
Those are the games I will watch for 5 min or so, but that is it. I wish them well and hope they perform well, but not really. Two different products, two different styles. The NBA is garbage.

Kids dream about being a NBA player. They emulate these players. I was there with MJ. Guy changed the game.

Jordan went to N Carolina so kids see that as a place they want to go.

Sad thing is majority of them only knew Jordan through his offensive game

Just how basketball is. A lot of schools have these impact players that help with recruiting.
Jordan has his own shoe company through Nike to help UNC.

Always good to support your players in the NBA.

Kids dream about being a NBA player. They emulate these players. I was there with MJ. Guy changed the game.

Jordan went to N Carolina so kids see that as a place they want to go.

Sad thing is majority of them only knew Jordan through his offensive game

Just how basketball is. A lot of schools have these impact players that help with recruiting.
Jordan has his own shoe company through Nike to help UNC.

Always good to support your players in the NBA.

Back in those days the best players from NC either went to UNC or NC State. Now you had some that went to Maryland (John Lucas, Buck William) or to Georgia (Dominique Wilkins). UNC was a top brand back then so when MJ blew up UNC got that more attractive to kids.

Ngl, I sometimes forget the Pistons exist. I just think of the bad boys and the malice in the palace tbh.

The Pistons are actually one of the more storied franchises in the league. I was a huge fan from 02 to 08ish, when Tayshaun was running with those boys. They’ve just been ridiculously quiet the last 12 years.
Poor management and drafting has caused it.

This past season of sucking has been the best in a while. Finally committing to rebuild.

The Pistons are actually one of the more storied franchises in the league. I was a huge fan from 02 to 08ish, when Tayshaun was running with those boys. They’ve just been ridiculously quiet the last 12 years.
For sure. But like you said..they haven’t really been relevant in a while. Hopefully that changes.

For sure. But like you said..they haven’t really been relevant in a while. Hopefully that changes.

Agreed. I think outside ~10 or so the whole league has been fairly irrelevant tbh. Which makes the playoffs this year so great. 4 teams that haven't one ever or in a long while gonna be taking it home.

Pistons draft last decade pretty terrible. Don't think they had a 1st rd pick a few years ago not sure why, not gonna look it up too lazy just remember one year Bruce Brown was their only draft pick and he was a 2nd rounder. Maybe due to Blake Griffin trade but maybe something else.

They have some decent young pieces now.

Too bad they couldn't hang on to Middleton, I don't remember his time in Detroit maybe he just didn't play much.

Agreed. I think outside ~10 or so the whole league has been fairly irrelevant tbh. Which makes the playoffs this year so great. 4 teams that haven't one ever or in a long while gonna be taking it home.

I mean, 10 teams is 1/3 of the league. About the same as the NFL in terms of relevance, and it’s way more than college football.

Although it’s probably more like 12-13 teams over the last decade that have been relevant at least of that time in NBA.

I’ve been looking forward to this draft for 2 years. So loaded. Anywhere from 4 to 6 teams could get franchise defining talents, and guys who will be drafted in the 12-16 range are as good as a standard year’s 8-10 pick.

Have to imagine OKC packages some picks and tries to move up. Cleveland would
be where I’d target. Personally, if I were Cleveland I’d take Green or Suggs and ship Sexton out. Suggs and Garland would be an awesome pair. Sexton just isn’t a guy to build around. Not overly efficient and not interested in D.

But it seems like Cleveland is content with Sexton and if that’s the case then the best move is to trade down to 6, acquire 16 or 18 from OKC in the process, and draft someone like Scottie Barnes. Barnes and Okoro would terrorize the passing lanes.

As a Warriors fan, I was a bit disappointed to not have the Minnesota pick land at 4. However, if Barnes falls to 7, it almost seems like a perfect fit. Imagine Barnes developing under Dray, he’s basically a slightly better shooting Dray. And both fiery as hell.

Detroit with the windfall of Cade. Him, Bey, and Grant…wow. Trade Killian for a veteran 3 and D guy and suddenly you have a dangerous team.
If you listen to a lot of the experts they are trying to convince fans the Cavs want to unload sexton....of course they do it by saying "might be looking to deal him".

IF Green or Suggs is better than Sexton (and Garland is, too) sure I'd consider moving him or making him the 6th man. But this kid is 22 and has gotten better and better every year with a tremendous work ethic. The players who scored as much as him, shot as well overall and from 3 and had as many assists is a short list of elite players........Curry, Kawhi, Kyrie, Jokic and Lavine. Sexton also far younger than all of them.

Is true no matter who the Cavs take he'll be redundant with one of their most recent top picks - Sexton, Garland, Okoro so a trade is certainly possible. I'd be very surprised if they traded down from 3 though.

If you listen to a lot of the experts they are trying to convince fans the Cavs want to unload sexton....of course they do it by saying "might be looking to deal him".

IF Green or Suggs is better than Sexton (and Garland is, too) sure I'd consider moving him or making him the 6th man. But this kid is 22 and has gotten better and better every year with a tremendous work ethic. The players who scored as much as him, shot as well overall and from 3 and had as many assists is a short list of elite players........Curry, Kawhi, Kyrie, Jokic and Lavine. Sexton also far younger than all of them.

Is true no matter who the Cavs take he'll be redundant with one of their most recent top picks - Sexton, Garland, Okoro so a trade is certainly possible. I'd be very surprised if they traded down from 3 though.

I think Green gives you everything Sexton does on day 1. With a ceiling much higher and a rookie contract that lasts 3-4 more years.

IMO, Suggs will also end up better than Sexton, and he especially feels like a better fit with Garland specifically. And again, cheap ass contract for another 3-4 years.

With the talent available at a cheaper price (at least for the next 4 years), why wouldn’t the Cavs trade Sexton?

nbadraft.net has Garza undrafted. That’s pretty wild. Dude dominated the B1G. Post players are officially dead to the NBA. You better be mobile af, not just 7’.
Don’t really see him making an impact in present day NBA imo. He’d be a poor mans Brook Lopez, and that’s a pretty big compliment.

nbadraft.net has Garza undrafted. That’s pretty wild. Dude dominated the B1G. Post players are officially dead to the NBA. You better be mobile af, not just 7’.

A guy like Luka might have been a fringe 2nd rounder 10 years ago. Today he just has zero role.

The NBA is on another level for athleticism/skill combo.

Reactions: dtgold88
Also i fell like Louisville has to lead the nation in players leaving for the draft only to go undrafted smdh.

Hopefully carlik and DJ can shine at the combine and get into the 2nd round. I get carlik, hes a grad transfer, but dj was only a soph smdh. Pretty much his entire draft stock is based on the one game he doninated at Duke as a frosh. I mean he had other good moments, but no consistency.

ADVERTISEMENT