ADVERTISEMENT

***National Championship Game Thread***

Great thing about KU fans is they didn't seem to give up on Self with so many let downs between titles.

You’ve never been to a KU message board.

Him winning a title in year 5 and then countless conference titles made him untouchable. 2 titles now makes him the greatest coach in history and worthy of that lifetime contract.

Great thing about KU fans is they didn't seem to give up on Self with so many let downs between titles.
This. Remember he’d been to the elite eight with Tulsa and Illinois but never the final four until he came here. First season he takes Roy’s guys to the elite eight and fails again. Than he had back to back ugly first round losses. Fan base was grumbling (especially after Roy won in 05). Glad we didn’t give up.

I’d also like to say that I’m glad this board has some activity on it again. I know it’s about to go into hibernation but it felt dead most of the year. Threads that hadn’t had anything posted in them for weeks were still on the front page.

• Sad
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I was just stating a fact their "hero ball" got them past the 1st round.....Notihng more.

Why would I hate Iowa? Wht reason is there? You dudes are less relevant than Indiana. NO Big 10 titles since Magic won a national title....Lat time Iowa was in the FF, NBC and Dick Enberg were showing/calling the games....No SW16 since, I dunno, what, 1999?

Why in the world would hate Iowa?
Lol it's all good. I could tell you've had a rough life and I promised myself I'd take it easy on you going forward, being the nice guy that I am, so like I said, I don't take your Iowa trash talk seriously. :)

You've become Indiana's version of gilligan (yes), just more stable (.....stable for now that is, it would seem, based on your posts lately ;) ).......and for that

i-pity-you-queen-sono.gif

P.S. And just so we're clear, your own opinion of me is irrelevant. Hope that helps you going forward. :D

This. Remember he’d been to the elite eight with Tulsa and Illinois but never the final four until he came here. First season he takes Roy’s guys to the elite eight and fails again. Than he had back to back ugly first round losses. Fan base was grumbling (especially after Roy won in 05). Glad we didn’t give up.
Yeah, they finally got enough money to give to their bag men.......Good thing you didn't give up, indeed. ;)

Him winning a title in year 5 and then countless conference titles made him untouchable for 99% of the fanbase.
It was like that for Cal for a while, especially since he went to 4 Final Fours and an EE in his first 6 years. That bought him some time. Fast forward 7 years and he hasn't been back to a Final Four since or even won a tourney game since 2018-19. Now his losing ways are starting to wear thin on a lot of the former Cal ride-or-die crowd.

It was like that for Cal for a while, especially since he went to 4 Final Fours and an EE in his first 6 years. That bought him some time. Fast forward 7 years and he hasn't been back to a Final Four since or even won a tourney game since 2018-19. Now his losing ways are starting to wear thin on a lot of the former Cal ride-or-die crowd.
Went to rupp rafters after we passed in for most wins and half the threads were about firing calipari.

• Haha
Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I’d also like to say that I’m glad this board has some activity on it again. I know it’s about to go into hibernation but it felt dead most of the year. Threads that hadn’t had anything posted in them for weeks were still on the front page.

I’m glad to be back on this board. Being away for a year or so from this board and TMB sucked. Love Phog.net and this board.

Shitttttttttt. Our coffers have been full for years. Roy made sure of that before he left
The one thing I appreciate about Kansas basketball fans (not football because those are nonexistent), is that you don't hide what kind of program you really are.

You couldn't care less about the fact that your program is dirty and was caught red-handed, and you totally embrace the role as the villain in this sport.

I can respect that sort of honesty.

It's a shame I can't say the same for other sports' top programs and their fanbases, such as Alabama and Ohio State.

They would rather cry to the media and talk about how they're the "underdogs" because nobody wants to see them win. They're afraid to embrace that role as the true villains of their sport, because they care too much about what people think of them.

They want to be both feared and respected, and that just isn't how it works.

The one thing I appreciate about Kansas basketball fans (not football because those are nonexistent), is that you don't hide what kind of program you really are.

You couldn't care less about the fact that your program is dirty and was caught red-handed, and you totally embrace the role as the villain in this sport.

It's a shame I can't say the same for other sports' top programs and their fanbases, such as Alabama and Ohio State.

They would rather cry to the media and talk about how they're the "underdogs" because nobody wants to see them win. They're afraid to embrace that role as the true villains of their sport, because they care too much about what people think of them.

I’ll be 100% honest on my feelings. Fact is the FBI scandal basically just proved what every fan knew deep down inside about college football and basketball but didn’t want to admit. 99% of college athletics is dirty all the way up to the NCAA themselves. I guarantee the NCAA knew about probably 90% of the shady shit going on at all the top programs but weren’t gonna do anything because they were making billions of $ off of all of them. Once they got called out on it by the FBI they all of a sudden had to act tough and ignorant to what was going on and punish the schools acknowledged in it.

If KU has to be the overall scapegoat about all of it to save the other programs for a year or 2 then so be it. No one is gonna be touched now with the NIL because almost everything fits under that umbrella anymore until regulations are out in place. This Championship made it 1000x easier to stomach being the #1 scapegoat for everyone else. KU will take their probable year or 2 ban. The transfer portal makes it 100x easier to rebuild and KU will come out even stronger.

What do we think, peeps? Will this be Hubert's first and last title game appearance? It will be interesting to see how his career progresses, but that is an outstanding accomplishment in year 1. UNC looked like ass most of the regular season but turned it on when it mattered. Not sure how much of that actually had to do with supreme coaching ability but a great end result nonetheless.
I hope that Hubert can parlay this nice run into strong recruiting to help him get back. Before he only had words of his vision to recruits, now he has words with some demonstrated success.

Outside of the second half last night the team was fun to watch throughout the last 2 months with good ball and man movement. If you look back at the run he was calling plays from the sidelines often late in the second half with some good results. I think he can coach, and I hope that this helps give him more street cred to help him build his program for sustained success.

I hope that Hubert can parlay this nice run into strong recruiting to help him get back. Before he only had words of his vision to recruits, now he has words with some demonstrated success.

Outside of the second half last night the team was fun to watch throughout the last 2 months with good ball and man movement. If you look back at the run he was calling plays from the sidelines often late in the second half with some good results. I think he can coach, and I hope that this helps give him more street cred to help him build his program for sustained success.
Good point. Actions speak louder than words and a title game appearance means the proof is in the pudding. A very important recruiting tool, especially for a 1st year head coach that otherwise doesn't have a resume stockpiled with accomplishments to pitch to recruits.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Agbaji is awarded Final Four MOP over McCormack? Weird decision.
Reminds of 2017 with UNC where it should have been Meeks.

Rewatching 2nd half UNC tried to go 1v1 way too much. UNC also struggled big time with KU’s pressure. KU picking up full court was huge as it kept UNC from getting comfortable and forced them to go later than they wanted to which forced more 1v1.

Love really shot UNC out of this game.

I thought they tried to run offense more but Kansas just completely took them out of it.

Him winning a title in year 5 and then countless conference titles made him untouchable. 2 titles now makes him the greatest coach in history and worthy of that lifetime contract.

Some of KU's losses in the tournament are maddening but he has half of the titles in your history now. He should be near untouchable imo, unless the sanctions that are coming * are that bad.

*Y'all ain't gonna get anything just like UNC

Fax. We know we’re dirty and embrace it. And I rock adidas with pride

What excuses? Everyone played on the same court.

You don't understand. Us UNC fans aren't distraught. We just had one of the greatest seasons ever by what we did to Duke. This was just almost the cherry on top.
Exactly, excuses are for losers. You are the Tar freaking Heels, the blue blood of CBB, you've been there and done that many times before. I would be disappointed if UNC fans made excuses for losing this game when they were up by 15 at the half.

Yeah, the Heels got beat. Kansas was just great in the second half. I haven't seen anyone making any excuses, though I'm sure there are some. Fans are nuts.

All the reasons for a Kansas win in this game fall on Kansas. They earned it.

Yeah, the Heels got beat. Kansas was just great in the second half. I haven't seen anyone making any excuses, though I'm sure there are some. Fans are nuts.

All the reasons for a Kansas win in this game fall on Kansas. They earned it.
I was thinking to myself last night, I'm not sure if Kansas was the best team this year, but you have to hand it to them after the tournament. There wasn't a more deserving team.

Reactions: Afamu

I don’t embrace shit. As Mike Brey said, Self’s done nothing that isn’t done at other major conference programs. They all work the shoe angle. All top 100 players are getting something. I don’t think many coaches view him as a “villain,” other than a few sad sacks like Bruce Weber.

All that KU was “caught red-handed” doing was discussing a player who barely played or contributed to the team before transferring, and another who went elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the current roster, which is made up of mostly players outside the top 100.

Now let’s talk about how you embrace a racist, cheating football program. 🤣

Yeah, I think there's a very good chance you guys win if ya'll grab that rebound...

I get it with Love......But then again, I mean, you gotta be better than that...Gotta be a better teammate. Not trying to pile on the kid----UNC isn't there if not for him. BUT.....I mean, some of those shots Cory? Wow.

Manek has to get more than 8 shots....He was in "Baylor mode"----and only gets 8 looks. To me, that was a gift from UNC to KU...
Yea I’m not sure what Hubert was thinking not getting Manek more shots. Head scratcher for sure.

I’ll be 100% honest on my feelings. Fact is the FBI scandal basically just proved what every fan knew deep down inside about college football and basketball but didn’t want to admit. 99% of college athletics is dirty all the way up to the NCAA themselves. I guarantee the NCAA knew about probably 90% of the shady shit going on at all the top programs but weren’t gonna do anything because they were making billions of $ off of all of them. Once they got called out on it by the FBI they all of a sudden had to act tough and ignorant to what was going on and punish the schools acknowledged in it.

If KU has to be the overall scapegoat about all of it to save the other programs for a year or 2 then so be it. No one is gonna be touched now with the NIL because almost everything fits under that umbrella anymore until regulations are out in place. This Championship made it 1000x easier to stomach being the #1 scapegoat for everyone else. KU will take their probable year or 2 ban. The transfer portal makes it 100x easier to rebuild and KU will come out even stronger.
FBI has no business in college sports. I wouldn’t trust them as far as I could throw them. Especially with my bad back. Is Manek black and blue today? I bet he never had his ass kicked

We didn’t play San Diego State that year. In fact SDSU has scoreboard over KU right now from 2014. Wasn’t SDSU undefeated until late in the year? Still KU lost to Duke and Nova by a combined 4 points then avenged their other loss to Baylor. Just hard to think about any team scoring enough to beat KU that year. Dotson/Dok/Garrett love triangle with the PnR was damn near impossible to stop.

Funny to think only that year Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor traded off being #1 throughout the season. Only Gonzaga doesn’t have a title since.
Once Self stopped trying to play two bigs and stuck with the smaller rotation our issues went away and we won our final 19 games. I understand the temptation from Self in going with the bigger lineup, as there was potential there to lock down defensively in the paint and have an efficient team offensively with potential for lots of 2nd chance points… But teams with quicker guards turned us into a turnover machine and although we did lock down the paint, teams with shooting bigs had open looks.

Completely different team after the lineup change. We really only had one game that was in doubt the rest of the way, that being the game in Lubbock. If we play this lineup from the beginning we likely finish 30-1 or somewhere in that range. In my opinion that team was up there with the ‘08 team.

Reactions: ExitFlagger
I don’t embrace shit. As Mike Brey said, Self’s done nothing that isn’t done at other major conference programs. They all work the shoe angle. All top 100 players are getting something. I don’t think many coaches view him as a “villain,” other than a few sad sacks like Bruce Weber.

All that KU was “caught red-handed” doing was discussing a player who barely played or contributed to the team before transferring, and another who went elsewhere. It has nothing to do with the current roster, which is made up of mostly players outside the top 100.

Kansas cheats more at football than Iowa does.

Maybe. But I doubt it.

So do you embrace your racist, cheating school?

A shame....
I'm not gonna speak towards racism because that's a lost cause dealing with people who have made up their minds on the subject.

But Iowa is actually one of the few top 25 programs that don't cheat and are still successful in spite of that fact..........

Kansas, meanwhile, cheats and continues to, well......be Kansas in football. :cool:

I'm not gonna speak towards racism because that's a lost cause dealing with people who have made up their minds on the subject.

But Iowa is actually one of the few top 25 programs that don't cheat and are still successful in spite of that fact..........

Kansas, meanwhile, cheats and continues to, well......be Kansas in football. :cool:
Racist cheaters. Accept it and move on, bub.🤣

Steroids are still considered cheating so don’t even try to sell that nonsense here. It is well known that PEDS are a part of the hawk program.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT