ADVERTISEMENT

***National Championship Game Thread***

Rewatching 2nd half UNC tried to go 1v1 way too much. UNC also struggled big time with KU’s pressure. KU picking up full court was huge as it kept UNC from getting comfortable and forced them to go later than they wanted to which forced more 1v1.

Love really shot UNC out of this game.

Kids in Africa waiting for their UNC National Champions t-shirts.

african_kids_dancing_by_11011997panic_deatwdo-fullview.jpg

Rewatching 2nd half UNC tried to go 1v1 way too much. UNC also struggled big time with KU’s pressure. KU picking up full court was huge as it kept UNC from getting comfortable and forced them to go later than they wanted to which forced more 1v1.
Said this the entire second half....Absolutely no ball movement. Never made the defense move, or react----never put any pressue on the KU defense...Total opposite of the 1st half----but that had to do some with KU ratching up the "D".

UNC played some really dumb basketball in the 2nd half....

I dunno....I've had it happen as an official----so it does occur. BUT, to keep harping on it is, well, kinda of pointless....And now start talking lawsuits?

Sheesh...

TOugh loss man---I get it. But damn, brother.
If it was poor design and caused a serious injury, then yes of course he should sue. That's like normal? I didn't say he should sue the NCAA for the championship reverted to UNC because they put a loose board in the spot he regularly makes his moves from.

Come on now.

If it was poor design and caused a serious injury, then yes of course he should sue. That's like normal? I didn't say he should sue the NCAA for the championship reverted to UNC because they put a loose board in the spot he regularly makes his moves from.

Come on now.
If it was a poor design, we would have seen more than one incident.....It was a freakish event. As I said, as an official, I've had this happen----especially on elevated floors, or temporary floors. It happens.

Good luck trying to sue over this.... A sprained ankle? Its not like he tore his ACL, or achillies....Its a sprained annkle, that was already hurt, and in all likelihood will be just fine in a few weks...

C;mon, man.....

Said this the entire second half....Absolutely no ball movement. Never made the defense move, or react----never put any pressue on the KU defense...Total opposite of the 1st half----but that had to do some with KU ratching up the "D".

Idk if it was exhaustion, thinking the game was over at the half or what but the level of intensity between the 2 teams to start the half was night and day.

Reactions: IUfanBorden

I felt like UNC wasn't awful outside of some shot selection and missing normally makeabke shots. Davis and Love missed quite a few wide open looks. They have a few really dumb turnovers with the inbounds play over and a pass or two. Kansas got away with a foul here and there that caused a turnover such as when Harris hit Davis dribbling arm from behind on the side, but all in all it was officiated decently and UNC played well. Kansas just started making some 3s, some of which were contested. Remy's shot is weird, but he made them and those 3s by him are probably what ended up being the difference, despite UNC having the chances to win.

UNC hits just 3 out of 20 of the shots they normally make tonight in the second half and they probably would have won. Davis usually is much more efficient. Love has always been an inefficient player.

If it was a poor design, we would have seen more than one incident.....It was a freakish event. As I said, as an official, I've had this happen----especially on elevated floors, or temporary floors. It happens.

Good luck trying to sue over this.... A sprained ankle? Its not like he tore his ACL, or achillies....Its a sprained annkle, that was already hurt, and in all likelihood will be just fine in a few weks...

C;mon, man.....
You are misrepresenting what I said.

I said IF he has a SERIOUS injury that he should sue them over it, under the assumption it wasn't normal and of negligence.

I never said he should sue over a sprained ankle on a freak occurrence on a floor that regularly does it by design.

You come on now!

Idk if it was exhaustion, thinking the game was over at the half or what but the level of intensity between the 2 teams to start the half was night and day.
I don't think UNC though the game was over.....KU played with a sense of urgency. Also felt UNC tried to knock KU out, when they only needed to get to the 12th round, and win on a decision..

You are misrepresenting what I said.

I said IF he has a SERIOUS injury that he should sue them over it, under the assumption it wasn't normal and of negligence.

I never said he should sue over a sprained ankle on a freak occurrence on a floor that regularly does it by design.

You come on now!
Gotcha, Matlock....

I felt like UNC wasn't awful outside of some shot selection and missing normally makeabke shots. Davis and Love missed quite a few wide open looks. They have a few really dumb turnovers with the inbounds play over and a pass or two. Kansas got away with a foul here and there that caused a turnover such as when Harris hit Davis dribbling arm from behind on the side, but all in all it was officiated decently and UNC played well. Kansas just started making some 3s, some of which were contested. Remy's shot is weird, but he made them and those 3s by him are probably what ended up being the difference, despite UNC having the chances to win.

UNC hits just 3 out of 20 of the shots they normally make tonight in the second half and they probably would have won. Davis usually is much more efficient. Love has always been an inefficient player.

I felt like everything we’ve talked about the last 48 hours good and bad for our teams all happened in those 40 minutes. Tough loss for UNC. Good luck next year. I hope the majority of your team returns. Should be the favorites if that happens.

I felt like everything we’ve talked about the last 48 hours good and bad for our teams all happened in those 40 minutes. Tough loss for UNC. Good luck next year. I hope the majority of your team returns. Should be the favorites if that happens.
Manek is gone and I am not sure how we replace him. Leaky is probably gone, but I think Puff might have shown tonight he can fill that role.

Bacot possibly gone. Love probably played himself out of being gone tonight. One more 20+ point dazzler tonight and he was going in the 1st round for sure.

I think the key was yinz taking Harris out and letting Remy run the show late.

I think the key was yinz taking Harris out and letting Remy run the show late.

Harris helped with the quick comeback but needed Remy running the show late to keep the offense up. 3 huge shots from him. Remy’s engagement defensively was huge and has been huge all year.

Harris helped with the quick comeback but needed Remy running the show late to keep the offense up. 3 huge shots from him. Remy’s engagement defensively was huge and has been huge all year.
He is decent on D but Remy wasn't bad either. Your team is much better with Harris not in though imo

He is decent on D but Remy wasn't bad either. Your team is much better with Harris not in though imo

Needed Remy to beat Texas Tech, Creighton, and Providence. Needed Harris to beat Miami and Villanova. Needed both to beat UNC.

Reactions: KisteK
This game is why I don’t bet games. If I was a gambling man I would have taken ku and the over. When ku had the ball with 4.6 and just needing to inbounds I would have been rooting for a push. But when ku turned the ball over I would have had to root for the three to go in and ku win in overtime.

Love really shot UNC out of this game.
A few people had pointed out that Love had a tendency to be inefficient in the quick turnaround games, and it played out again.

A few people had pointed out that Love had a tendency to be inefficient in the quick turnaround games, and it played out again.

I knew Love had a bad game but 5/24. JFC. As a coach you have to tell him to stop shooting at some point and work the ball to the post. UNC just completely ignored the post in the 2nd half. The 2nd half was just as much KU increasing their defensive pressure as much as UNC letting KU off the hook with terrible shot selection.

This is Kansas’s first win in the championship game against another blue blood program. Currently they are 0-2 against Indiana 0-1 against duke, 0-1 against Kentucky and now 1-1 against North Carolina. The fact that they have played 6 national championship games against other blue blood programs is crazy.

This is Kansas’s first win in the championship game against another blue blood program. Currently they are 0-2 against Indiana 0-1 against duke, 0-1 against Kentucky and now 1-1 against North Carolina. The fact that they have played 6 national championship games against other blue blood programs is crazy.
That's a pretty cool stat. Congrats. Kentucky is 8-4 in title games overall and 2-1 against bluebloods. Wins against Duke and Kansas. Loss to UCLA.

Won this for 2020 team. If not for Covid strong chance KU is staring at 2/3 national titles although never know how things play out with going pro.

Crazy to not think about that 2020 team this year right now. 3/5 starters today for KU were in the rotation for KU that year. Then you add 2 all-Americans in Dotson and Dok to that group. Won it for that team and it was amazing the video of Self giving Dotson a championship hat tonight after KU won the title.

That's pretty cool. Congrats.
The second one against Indiana and the one against North Carolina in 57 really hurt. Ku was the better team against Indiana but lost by one point (would have been back to back for us). In 57 North Carolina was undefeated and if they had rankings back then would have been number 1, but we had wilt. Lost by 1 in triple overtime. 2 points is the difference between ku having 6 titles.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
Won this for 2020 team. If not for Covid strong chance KU is staring at 2/3 national titles although never know how things play out with going pro.

Crazy to not think about that 2020 team this year right now. 3/5 starters today for KU were in the rotation for KU that year. Then you add 2 all-Americans in Dotson and Dok to that group. Won it for that team and it was amazing the video of Self giving Dotson a championship hat tonight after KU won the title.
2020 was a beast team. Beat Baylor and San Diego state who would have both been 1 seeds. Ku vs Baylor for the forth time in the championship game would have been epic.

The second one against Indiana and the one against North Carolina in 57 really hurt. Ku was the better team against Indiana but lost by one point (would have been back to back for us). In 57 North Carolina was undefeated and if they had rankings back then would have been number 1, but we had wilt. Lost by 1 in triple overtime. 2 points is the difference between ku having 6 titles.
I wish Kansas would've gone 5-1 in those title games against bluebloods.

Yeah, I think there's a very good chance you guys win if ya'll grab that rebound...

I get it with Love......But then again, I mean, you gotta be better than that...Gotta be a better teammate. Not trying to pile on the kid----UNC isn't there if not for him. BUT.....I mean, some of those shots Cory? Wow.

Manek has to get more than 8 shots....He was in "Baylor mode"----and only gets 8 looks. To me, that was a gift from UNC to KU...
KU had a lot to do with that. They were making sure he did not get any good looks. The only times he didn’t have somebody face guarding him was when UNC penetrated and dishes and we overplayed the corner and he was the recipient of the extra pass.

2020 was a beast team. Beat Baylor and San Diego state who would have both been 1 seeds. Ku vs Baylor for the forth time in the championship game would have been epic.

We didn’t play San Diego State that year. In fact SDSU has scoreboard over KU right now from 2014. Wasn’t SDSU undefeated until late in the year? Still KU lost to Duke and Nova by a combined 4 points then avenged their other loss to Baylor. Just hard to think about any team scoring enough to beat KU that year. Dotson/Dok/Garrett love triangle with the PnR was damn near impossible to stop.

Funny to think only that year Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor traded off being #1 throughout the season. Only Gonzaga doesn’t have a title since.

What do we think, peeps? Will this be Hubert's first and last title game appearance? It will be interesting to see how his career progresses, but that is an outstanding accomplishment in year 1. UNC looked like ass most of the regular season but turned it on when it mattered. Not sure how much of that actually had to do with supreme coaching ability but a great end result nonetheless.

We didn’t play San Diego State that year. In fact SDSU has scoreboard over KU right now from 2014. Wasn’t SDSU undefeated until late in the year? Still KU lost to Duke and Nova by a combined 4 points then avenged their other loss to Baylor. Just hard to think about any team scoring enough to beat KU that year. Dotson/Dok/Garrett love triangle with the PnR was damn near impossible to stop.

Funny to think only that year Gonzaga, Kansas, and Baylor traded off being #1 throughout the season. Only Gonzaga doesn’t have a title since.
Your right I meant Dayton with obi toppin. Too lazy to fix it though

What do we think, peeps? Will this be Hubert's first and last title game appearance? It will be interesting to see how his career progresses, but that is an outstanding accomplishment in year 1. UNC looked like ass most of the regular season but turned it on when it mattered. Not sure how much of that actually had to do with coaching but a great end result nonetheless.
Hopefully UNC fans don't give up on him if he starts out like shit next season, but it is the nature of die hard fans.

Luck run, never get there again, fluke. etc.

What do we think, peeps? Will this be Hubert's first and last title game appearance? It will be interesting to see how his career progresses, but that is an outstanding accomplishment in year 1. UNC looked like ass most of the regular season but turned it on when it mattered. Not sure how much of that actually had to do with coaching but a great end result nonetheless.
I think he will struggle against duke, have a couple years where he’s a 6-8 seed with early round exits and the fan base will get restless and yeah he never makes another final four.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
I think he will struggle against duke, have a couple years where he’s a 6-8 seed with early round exits and the fan base will get restless and yeah he never makes another final four.
The "new" Duke-UNC rivalry will be must see TV for the next couple years as this Hubert-Scheyer match-up develops. I have a feeling Scheyer will be a strong replacement for K. He's already proven he can stack rosters with ridiculous talent. Now he just needs to roll the ball out, or something like that.

Reactions: JayhawkWriter
ADVERTISEMENT