ADVERTISEMENT

Name a Coach that doesn't warrant the hype

All of those top seeds? He's only had a 1 seed three times - 2013, 2017, 2019. In 2013, they lost to Wichita State, a team that advanced to the FF and gave Louisville their toughest contest of the tournament. In 2017, they made it to the championship game. In 2019, they lost in the Elite 8 to Texas Tech, a team that easily could have won the whole thing. That's called March, not bad or mediocre coaching.

Few became a head coach in 2000. In that 20-year time frame, Beilein missed the tournament 9 times. Few never missed the tournament. Mark Few has also won 15 of his last 20 NCAA Tournament games.

Villanova is a legit power. I just think it's funny how people overlook the fact that Nova missed the second weekend of the tournament 8 times this past decade. On top of that, they missed the second weekend in 2010, 2014, 2015, and 2017 as either a 1 or 2 seed. Given their seed line, you could argue they have a higher choke right in the initial rounds than Gonzaga. Obviously Nova's two titles compensate for their early exits, but they haven't exactly been the champions of consistency.

Mark Few receives way too much hype for a Coach with only one Final 4.

Called March..That is why you have to show up

Just call this the Coach K thread. most overrated coach in the history of sports.

Guy couldn't even win with 4 of the top 6 rated freshmen in the country.

Routinely comes up short everywhere except recruiting.

Total fraud of a coach and a person. Just a rotten piece of shit.

Just call this the Coach K thread. most overrated coach in the history of sports.

You

I’m surprised to see Izzo on here. He made MSU a national brand and has led us to 8 Final Fours, plus a championship. We have been the most successful program in the Big Ten since he’s taken over no doubt. I mean I understand if you don’t want to put him on Coach K status but I don’t think Izzo is “overrated”

Except Tech was already playing for their spot

Every team in a major conference is playing for their spot in the regular season. If you don’t win enough games, you don’t make the NCAAT.

So which is it? The NCAAT games are the only ones with urgency and teams trying to win? Or regular season games are important too because you’re playing for your spot?

Every team in a major conference is playing for their spot in the regular season. If you don’t win enough games, you don’t make the NCAAT.

So which is it? The NCAAT games are the only ones with urgency and teams trying to win? Or regular season games are important too because you’re playing for your spot?

If you want to take pride in your regular season success that is on you

That point regarding Tech last year and I believe Chris Beard will say the same thing is that urgency didn't create wins the last 4-5 games of the year. Tech needed a win and couldn't find one.

We have all watched College Basketball enough to know that sometimes in the regular season you play teams who need a win more than you.
Coaches are still feeling out their teams mentally.
As we get closer to the tournament we see more and more teams that need wins and games get more interesting.
This is when you see teams fight and claw for wins...
You aren't seeing this in January. I don't care what conference it is. Very few coaches are trying to hit all the buttons in January except in certain circumstances.

We saw that with Ed Cooley at Providence last year.
Providence was playing tournament
level basketball last year for three months.

They started the season horribly. They really needed wins once the Big East season started.

If you want to take pride in your regular season success that is on you

That point regarding Tech last year and I believe Chris Beard will say the same thing is that urgency didn't create wins the last 4-5 games of the year. Tech needed a win and couldn't find one.

We have all watched College Basketball enough to know that sometimes in the regular season you play teams who need a win more than you.
Coaches are still feeling out their teams mentally.
As we get closer to the tournament we see more and more teams that need wins and games get more interesting.
This is when you see teams fight and claw for wins...
You aren't seeing this in January. I don't care what conference it is. Very few coaches are trying to hit all the buttons in January except in certain circumstances.

We saw that with Ed Cooley at Providence last year.
Providence was playing tournament
level basketball last year for three months.

They started the season horribly. They really needed wins once the Big East season started.

So since you can’t seem to ever really give a straight, consistent answer, how about this:

Which games in the regular season are worth factoring into your coaching assessments? Is it just game 12, 16, and 25-30? Or have teams packed it in by game 30 and it’s only 25-28?

So since you can’t seem to ever really give a straight, consistent answer, how about this:

Which games in the regular season are worth factoring into your coaching assessments? Is it just game 12, 16, and 25-30? Or have teams packed it in by game 30 and it’s only 25-28?

Matters the year and the team.

I like to watch after a team gets punched in the mouth .
Usually you see what type of team you are dealing with

Some teams are elite enough talent wise or are experienced enough to make the adjustments in the game

I have made this point before. People give too much credit in college to the coaches and not enough in the NBA...

Just like in the NBA players do make a difference.

Matters the year and the team.

I like to watch after a team gets punched in the mouth .
Usually you see what type of team you are dealing with

Some teams are elite enough talent wise or are experienced enough to make the adjustments in the game

I have made this point before. People give too much credit in college to the coaches and not enough in the NBA...

Just like in the NBA players do make a difference.

Damn you’re something else. Just refuse to give any type of straight answer or have consistency in your logic.

I’d say it’s obvious to everyone here that both the regular season and the NCAAT matter. Without consistently winning in the regular season, you don’t get the opportunity at the NCAAT. And without consistent deep runs in the NCAAT, you aren’t proving your chops in the toughest games on the biggest stage.

Damn you’re something else. Just refuse to give any type of straight answer or have consistency in your logic.

I’d say it’s obvious to everyone here that both the regular season and the NCAAT matter. Without consistently winning in the regular season, you don’t get the opportunity at the NCAAT. And without consistent deep runs in the NCAAT, you aren’t proving your chops in the toughest games on the biggest stage.

Still overrating one and undervaluing another

This is why you think winning in the tournament is based on luck.

Schools have to earn their name in the NCAA Tournament. Was much easier for Gonzaga after Don Monson made an Elite 8 run.

But for most schools you earn your name in the NCAA Tournament and not the regular season

Especially in the mid major conferences and below.

I believe you already mentioned one of these coaches
Andy Enfield.

These coaches at those schools have one game to make themselves a career

Not seeing this in the regular season...

End of the day it is coaches speaking up about other coaches.

The idea is there are a lot of smart basketball people who never get the chance to be the HC at a major program.
So coaches who have and went through the coaching ranks will have others speak on their behalf.

Especially ones that have coached in the NCAA Tournament

The ones that people have questions about are the Juwan Howards or Jerry Stackhouse
Patrick Ewing at GTown is a good example.

But these surround themselves with knowledgeable basketball people

Still overrating one and undervaluing another

This is why you think winning in the tournament is based on luck.

Schools have to earn their name in the NCAA Tournament. Was much easier for Gonzaga after Don Monson made an Elite 8 run.

But for most schools you earn your name in the NCAA Tournament and not the regular season

Especially in the mid major conferences and below.

I believe you already mentioned one of these coaches
Andy Enfield.

These coaches at those schools have one game to make themselves a career

Not seeing this in the regular season...

I never once said consistent winning in the NCAAT is luck. Never said that at all. I said one 3-4 game run in one tournament is a fluke if the larger evidence indicates that it was just a one off.

Winning in the tournament is absolutely a measuring stick. Doing it 5 times is a lot better than doing it once.

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
Usually you start on the defensive end.

What coaches are trying to make the opposing team stay out of rhythm on the offensive end.

Some like Jim Boeheim have made a living on it. Why Syracuse is never a team you want to see in your bracket.

Regular season is preparing for the NCAA Tournament.
Coaches handle regular seasons different every year and a lot of the times they handle individual seasons differently.

If you have a team that knows what it takes to win it is much different than a team that doesn't.

Tinkering with an engine.
What a lot of these coaches are trying to do in the season.
You have some rare exceptions but those are few and far in-between.

Reason why I bring up Bruce Weber..
Why the man received a lot of credit.

That Illinois team was winning pretty much every game by double digits.

But they were champs even with that.
That regional final against Arizona was one hell of a team.

Yeah, I have no idea what he's talking about. This has morphed into a very odd conversation.

If a baseball team wins 90+ games and then loses 6-0 in the WC game, was it due to poor coaching/managing? Were they actually a crappy team and everyone else in the league allowed them to pile up wins because they don't care about the regular season?

Shit happens in a one-off scenario. I think the best indicators of a CBB coach's ability are record vs familiar opponents, success of in-game adjustments, improvement throughout the season, and record when allowed plenty of preparation time. People don't talk about it much, but I think coaching/gameplanning is almost neutralized when there is only one day to prepare. The talent generally dictates the outcome in those games.

Last edited:
If a baseball team wins 90+ games and then loses 6-0 in the WC game, was it due to poor coaching/managing? Were they actually a crappy team and everyone else in the league allowed them to pile up wins because they don't care about the regular season?

Shit happens in a one-off scenario. I think the best indicators of a CBB coach's ability are record vs familiar opponents, success rate of in-game adjustments, improvement throughout the season, and record when allowed plenty of preparation time. People don't talk about it much, but I think coaching/gameplanning is almost neutralized when there is only one day to prepare. The talent generally dictates the outcome in those games.

That’s why Sweet 16 games are often better than Elite 8 games. 4-5 days to prep, instead of 1.

That’s why Sweet 16 games are often better than Elite 8 games. 4-5 days to prep, instead of 1.

I kinda wish they'd change the scheduling to add another day or two before the 2nd game of the weekend.

Or maybe move the earlier games up one day, so that there's 3-4 days prep time for the earlier rounds and 2 days for the others.

@SheriffBufordFJustice Who would you rather have as the head coach for Texas, Shaka Smart or Chris Beard?
I'm not sure who he will choose (which is crazy), but I know he'll make excuses for Shaka (which is even crazier). Beard could win the national championship and would still say he's not convinced he's a good coach. He just can't fathom that Tech has better coach than Texas, that also happens to be a UT grad.

Neither.

This has nothing to do with Shaka.
Don't particularly care if he wins or not.

Some of you are attempting to make excuses for your teams losing in the NCAA Tournament.

That is fine. If you want to bang your chest about regular season success.

NC are won in March and April. This is when I look for the coaches who are able to win.

Chris Beard is a great coach.
As of right now it looks like Tubby didn't get enough time and Jarrett Culver brought the level of the team up.

We will see with him going forward. Texas isn't really as interested in him as some of you think they are.

Coaching in the Big 12 is tough. Just ask Jamie Dixon.

Chris Beard had a tough season in 2019-2020.
Good chance Shaka...knocks them out.
They were playing each other for a NCAA Tournament spot.

Shaka has learned the lessons. Shaka can and will coach for his job. Did that at VCU and is doing that at Texas.

Problem is how many lessons is Shaka going to have to learn.
Shaka with Neill Berry is important because we are going to see more and more players go to the G League
Need guys who can find NBA guys with the players who aren't Top 50/100 guys.

tenor.gif

Neither.

This has nothing to do with Shaka.
Don't particularly care if he wins or not.

Some of you are attempting to make excuses for your teams losing in the NCAA Tournament.

That is fine. If you want to bang your chest about regular season success.

NC are won in March and April. This is when I look for the coaches who are able to win.

Chris Beard is a great coach.
As of right now it looks like Tubby didn't get enough time and Jarrett Culver brought the level of the team up.

We will see with him going forward. Texas isn't really as interested in him as some of you think they are.
Yeah it does. Your coach fcking sucks while Beard is excellent. End of fcking story.

Yeah it does. Your coach fcking sucks while Beard is excellent. End of fcking story.

????
Not my coach. The difference between a lot of these Coaches has more to do with the players they put on the floor more than their coaching ability.

Shaka hasn't found his team for whatever reason.

Chris Beard walked into a program that had some players because of Tubby Smith.
Chris Beard now is on his own. Going to have up and down years.

I wouldn't say he is an excellent coach until we actually go through the years.

This is why coaches get hyped.
Then all of sudden suck. Some of you are reactionary.

????
Not my coach. The difference between a lot of these Coaches has more to do with the players they put on the floor more than their coaching ability.

Who would you like to see Texas hire for a head coach?

Matters what type of team I see this year.
The team started forming an identity under Shaka last year.
Matters if they build on that.

The biggest issue is the team has had zero identity. Players that don't fit have been brought in.

We will find out with Greg Brown. From the outside it doesn't look like it will fit. Texas doesn't generate that much space especially when they have Jericho Sims on the floor and Brown as a shooter is inexperienced.

Greg Brown iz talking about going to the basket everytime he touches the ball.

We find out.
If Shaka makes it work he deserves a little more credit.

Matters what type of team I see this year.
The team started forming an identity under Shaka last year.
Matters if they build on that.

The biggest issue is the team has had zero identity. Players that don't fit have been brought in.

We will find out with Greg Brown. From the outside it doesn't look like it will fit. Texas doesn't generate that much space especially when they have Jericho Sims on the floor and Brown as a shooter is inexperienced.

Greg Brown iz talking about going to the basket everytime he touches the ball.

We find out.
If Shaka makes it work he deserves a little more credit.

There was no NCAAT last year. That means the “identity” they formed was meaningless, right? Doesn’t count if it’s not in March/April.

There was no NCAAT last year. That means the “identity” they formed was meaningless, right? Doesn’t count if it’s not in March/April.

Texas was already at the point they had to play Tournament basketball.
Reason why a lot of the offense was coming in from the coaching staff.

That Oklahoma State game is what people wonder about. The players said they knew what they did wrong and why they lose games and why they win.

We will find out about Shaka.
He is talking about being violent and playing as a violent basketball team.

Shaka could be heading to the G League.
Been hearing rumors. People like his ability to develop players for the NBA game just as long as they can pick the players for him.

Texas was already at the point they had to play Tournament basketball.
Reason why a lot of the offense was coming in from the coaching staff.

That Oklahoma State game is what people wonder about. The players said they knew what they did wrong and why they lose games and why they win.

We will find out about Shaka.
He is talking about being violent and playing as a violent basketball team.

Shaka could be heading to the G League.
Been hearing rumors. People like his ability to develop players for the NBA game just as long as they can pick the players for him.

Texas might have been, but opponents weren’t, right? That’s what you said: the NCAAT is the only thing that counts because both teams know they are playing with their season on the line. Higher urgency.

So it doesn’t matter what Texas was feeling, at least not according to you earlier in this thread.

Texas might have been, but opponents weren’t, right? That’s what you said: the NCAAT is the only thing that counts because both teams know they are playing with their season on the line. Higher urgency.

So it doesn’t matter what Texas was feeling, at least not according to you earlier in this thread.

A few of the Big 12 teams were in the same position

It was tightly packed at the end of the season in that second group.

Everyone was around 500 in conference.
Finishing 9-9 in the Big 12 is much better than finishing under 500.

WVU
Oklahoma
Texas Tech
Texas

Hard to figure those 4 teams out
3 of them again going into this season

Are they Final 4 teams
Or are they 9-9 Big 12 teams

Tech, Texas and WVU
OU most likely not for this year

Without a Big 12 Tournament and NcAA Tournament it is hard for me to place those teams.

Especially WVU who is losing only a couple of players
Texas who loses no one

????

Blah blah blah fcking excuses. Shaka has had enough years at Texas to show what he is capable of, which is sht while Beard has outperformed and done really well. End of story. There is no comparison.

Beard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shaka

Reactions: Fight r8rs Fight!
Blah blah fcking excuses. Shaka has enough years at Texas to showwhat he capable of, which is sht while Beard has outperformed and dine really well. End of story. There is no comparison.

Beard>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Shaka

You suck at trolling...
Just to let you know.

Tubby walked into a program that needed to recruit really well.
Tubby did but ended up moving on to Memphis.
Left Beard with some pieces to work with and was lucky that a local kid with the talent of Culver came around.

Has nothing to do with Shaka.
You give any coach 2 years to work with one team they are going to create something.

Shaka is all in on his basketball team this year.
If they can cut the turnovers and play with the defensive intensity they showed to end the year they are team who could make the Final 4.

Matters the year.
Right now Shaka has a much better team and Chris Beard is searching for players
He would be better suited if Burnett stays two years.
Burnett could make Tech an elite perimeter team again.
They are a team to watch for 2021-2022.
Just along as Shannon and Burnett don't take off after this year.

Chris Beard is a solid coach.
I will tell you that now and I will tell you when the hype goes away

But Chris Beard's success raised the level of expectations for him with his fanbase and the media

Last year he didn't meet the expectations. This year he most likely won't.
I will admit being wrong if it doesn't happen. But I don't see the team he is putting on the court this year to be much better than what he had last year

Could eventually be but they are closer to a 9-9 Big 12 team again

Especially playing 8 games against Kansas, Baylor, WVU and Texas.

There area lot of solid coaches in college basketball.
Pretty much every major program has one.

But coaching doesn't turn players into NBA players overnight.
You either have the players or you don't.

Lol at those calling Chris Mack overrated. Wut. The dude took over a program that is still under the microscope, and had a top 15 team this year in his second year with a 24-7 record. I get Shaka being overrated or even Mike White, but calling Mack overrated is a terrible take.

Lol at those calling Chris Mack overrated. Wut. The dude took over a program that is still under the microscope, and had a top 15 team this year in his second year with a 24-7 record. I get Shaka being overrated or even Mike White, but calling Mack overrated is a terrible take.

The media overrated Florida last year.

I think our judgements of coaches are based around where they are to begin the season

When Mike White was in the tournament with Florida they were a tough out.

ADVERTISEMENT