ADVERTISEMENT

Name a Coach that doesn't warrant the hype

Chris Mack. Mid major level coach.
This is gonna get a ton of hits.....
giphy.gif

If you are honest with yourself, did you expect Miller to have done more than he did when IU hired him?
Yes. But I also take into account the injuries his teams have had...roster he took over, etc, etc...I think most with any sense knew Miller wasn't going to catapult IU into national relevance. The program was a mess....I like where we are headed.

Yes. But I also take into account the injuries his teams have had...roster he took over, etc, etc...I think most with any sense knew Miller wasn't going to catapult IU into national relevance. The program was a mess....I like where we are headed.
Calipari got a bit of shit for basically reneging a lot of Gillispie scholarship offers and even showed the door to some players....but we ended up in the Elite 8 his first year and ended that pesky longest UK FF drought created by Tubby and Gillispie the next, and Championship the next.

Reactions: IUfanBorden
Calipari got a bit of shit for basically reneging a lot of Gillispie scholarship offers and even showed the door to some players....but we ended up in the Elite 8 his first year and ended that pesky longest UK FF drought created by Tubby and Gillispie the next, and Championship the next.
Miller didn't have a terrible roster his first year---just severely flawed. It didn't help that Robert Johnson couldn't throw it in the ocean, and ws sporadic as hell as a shooter. MOF, hell no one could shoot. Even then, team was 12-7, 4-2 on Jan 22nd, then the wheels fell off.

Second year was just riddled with one injury after another....

last year I think we saw the start of what Miller can do/wants to do. Still, to many head-scratching losses that really hurt: MD, Purdue, Arkansas at home were games IU should have never lost. It is a tad worrisome how IU finished: Lost 8 of 12.

Not sure about this year...Weird times.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Have you seen the Kentucky players in the NBA? I would have multiple championships with that much talent, Jonathan has a big debt to pay AD for his one title....oh that’s right, that was paid for by Nike on NSD Winking

Reactions: UL_1986
Don’t know enough to say. For the amount of money these coaches get: Chris “I Max out” (UL), Archie “ Keystone Time” (IU), Shaka “ not so” Smart,
Cannot agree with Mack---at all. I wish IU would've landed him. Very good at Xavier, and has been really good at UL(44-21). Including 24-7 this year. His teams at Xavier were always tough as nails. Same story at UL...

Miller is still very debatable. Very good resume at Dayton. But Dayton isn't Indiana, and the A-10 isn't the Big 10. ROugh start Years 1 and 2. I think last year was a glimpse of what we can expect from Miller at IU. His recruiting, especially within the state, has gotten better. ZNeeds to get more action on the regional scene.I think he will. I like the hire. I think its a good hire. Not exactly a homerun, but I do think Miller is the right guy.This season is a big year. He has his guys, his team...and a lot of good pieces. But then again, its a COVID year also---So who the **** knows.

Shaka hasn't been past the 2nd round since his FF run. MOF, he's only been to the 2nd round twice since. In his 5th season at TX, he's had ONE, +.500 conference record---his first year. He has lost 12 or more all 5 seasons...He has missed the NCAAT 2 of his first 4 FULL SEASONS. May have missed it again this year. For all the hype he got----he wins this debate easily...

Recruiting is half the battle in B-BALL. On the recruiting front Mack lose more than Rick Pitino ever had and Pitino was busy most of the time onwhining and dining with the ladies. Mack not only lose players through decommitting but lose it on the field. It will catch up.

Recruiting is half the battle in B-BALL. On the recruiting front Mack lose more than Rick Pitino ever had and Pitino was busy most of the time onwhining and dining with the ladies. Mack not only lose players through decommitting but lose it on the field. It will catch up.
But Mack has walked into a mess that he has to work through.

Did he ever said “it is a slow build”? 👀👮‍♂️Get the f@ out!
I don't understand what you are getting at, but that's cool.
I was trying to reply with an open mind, that he walked to a mess left by the previous coaching staff. He came there knowing the challenges, but it will take time. Can he do it? Time will tell.🤷‍♂️

I don't understand what you are getting at, but that's cool.
I was trying to reply with an open mind, that he walked to a mess left by the previous coaching staff. He came there knowing the challenges, but it will take time. Can he do it? Time will tell.🤷‍♂️
If a Coach said “it will take time” the guy really saying “don’t expect” much. I don’t know what the result is

Reactions: cdbearde
If a Coach said “it will take time” the guy really saying “don’t expect” much. I don’t know what the result is
Don’t know the recruiting pool or what we can really get with my abilities

Mike White and Shaka Smart are the two obvious ones. I’ll toss out a few more.

Sean Miller
Andy Enfield
Kevin Keatts
Tom Crean
Good list, although I would argue people are starting to see $ean Miller for what he is, great recruiter (pays well) and average at best coach.

Reactions: GE Nole
None of the coaches who are being mentioned are really hyped except maybe Chris Mack.

Chris Beard is probably one to look at.

I think he had his chance to win a NC but average coaching did him in
Tech should have beaten UVA
Beard follows that up with being a bubble team.
Pretty sure Tech will be at the same place next year.

A lot of this board believes Chris Beard is going to be a guy who makes consistent Sweet 16 runs

Maybe in the 3 years people will see this differently

Solid coach.
There are about 60-70 solid coaches in the game

Bruce Weber is another one.
But he doesn't get the hype anymore really. That quickly went away

Another solid coach.
With the right pieces can make a Final Four run or a little bit of luck

Most overrated hyped up coach to me is Mark Few. I know some will disagree

But Few is smart. He learned the lesson from the guy who actually created the Gonzaga Program Dan Monson.

Monson was a good coach but winning in the WCC isn't the same as winning in a top conference
This is probably one of the main reasons why Few never left Gonzaga

Gonzaga though has created the name to get a top 4 seed and get into the Sweet 16.
But in the Sweet 16 and after Mark Few hasn't really been that good.
Never have I been real impressed with the coaching nor his teams.
Especially on the defensive end. Put Few in the Big East. He wouldn't be the same coach even in the Big East IMO.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
If you are honest with yourself, did you expect Miller to have done more than he did when IU hired him?
Speaking of Miller's, how about Sean Miller? That dude gets great talent every year and they always look totally uncoached and fall flat on their faces in the tournament.

I put him at the front of the class here, just ahead of his brother, Izzo, Mack and Shaka.

Last edited:
Reactions: englandnu
Have you seen the Kentucky players in the NBA? I would have multiple championships with that much talent, Jonathan has a big debt to pay AD for his one title....oh that’s right, that was paid for by Nike on NSD Winking
Recruiting (not buying) players is part of coaching bub.

Also, a lot of the reason UK's guys are as good as they are in the NBA, should be credited to the program Cal runs them through to prepare them for the next level.

But, keep in mind, when you make the statement you made, you’re also knocking Coach K, he can't win with teams that are better than what UK has had (with the exception of 2012 & 2015).

Are you saying Mack would have won a title with Duke's 2019 team? Remember, these are freshmen, but you UL fans like to pretend they were pros when they were in college.

Reactions: RunninRichie
None of the coaches who are being mentioned are really hyped except maybe Chris Mack.

Chris Beard is probably one to look at.

I think he had his chance to win a NC but average coaching did him in
Tech should have beaten UVA
Beard follows that up with being a bubble team.
Pretty sure Tech will be at the same place next year.

A lot of this board believes Chris Beard is going to be a guy who makes consistent Sweet 16 runs

Maybe in the 3 years people will see this differently

Solid coach.
There are about 60-70 solid coaches in the game

Bruce Weber is another one.
But he doesn't get the hype anymore really. That quickly went away

Another solid coach.
With the right pieces can make a Final Four run or a little bit of luck
So wait, you think Sean Miller isn't hyped, but Bruce Webber is?

Also, Chris Beard is thought of as an overachieving coach. Nobody thought for a second that TT was a final four team, but he made it to the title game and had a shot to win. He actually showed some coaching abilities, but you have to have talent and he was short on that last season.

Seriously, Bruce Webber though? Is there anyone outside of Manhattan, KS that hypes him up?

Meanwhile, Sean Miller gets talked about like he has multiple final fours on his resume.

Most overrated hyped up coach to me is Mark Few. I know some will disagree

But Few is smart. He learned the lesson from the guy who actually created the Gonzaga Program Dan Monson.

Monson was a good coach but winning in the WCC isn't the same as winning in a top conference
This is probably one of the main reasons why Few never left Gonzaga

Gonzaga though has created the name to get a top 4 seed and get into the Sweet 16.
But in the Sweet 16 and after Mark Few hasn't really been that good.
Never have I been real impressed with the coaching nor his teams.
Especially on the defensive end. Put Few in the Big East. He wouldn't be the same coach even in the Big East IMO.
I disagree, Few has built a monster out there, he doesn't have a title, but he has a FF and his teams always have an elite offense.

Believe it or not, it's harder to win the NCAAT when you have been playing cupcakes for 3 months. That conference does very little to prepare Gonzaga for the bright lights.

Reactions: KisteK
Recruiting (not buying) players is part of coaching bub.

Also, a lot of the reason UK's guys are as good as they are in the NBA, should be credited to the program Cal runs them through to prepare them for the next level.

But, keep in mind, when you make the statement you made, you’re also knocking Coach K, he can't win with teams that are better than what UK has had (with the exception of 2012 & 2015).

Are you saying Mack would have won a title with Duke's 2019 team? Remember, these are freshmen, but you UL fans like to pretend they were pros when they were in college.

Some of the freshmen like Wall, AD, Zion, etc are absolutely like pros playing in college.

And if Cals program was the key to getting them prepared for the next level, he wouldn’t have so many 5 star MCDAAs that went undrafted or have already washed out of the league. For every shai and herro there’s a Harrison twin and green and Whitney.

Work ethic and god given talent is what separates the elite. Nothin calipari is whispering in their ears.

Some of the freshmen like Wall, AD, Zion, etc are absolutely like pros playing in college.

And if Cals program was the key to getting them prepared for the next level, he wouldn’t have so many 5 star MCDAAs that went undrafted or have already washed out of the league. For every shai and herro there’s a Harrison twin and green and Whitney.

Work ethic and god given talent is what separates the elite. Nothin calipari is whispering in their ears.
LOL? tell that to KAT a guy who was out of the top ten and was criticized for little post work and for floating around on the perimeter and being soft in the paint. Cal and KP take him and gives him post moves and a bulk him up and turn him into the #1 overall pick. I find it amusing that UL fans call players earning a living overseas playing ball “washed up” i’ll name a few “washed” UK players
James Young
The harrisons
Ulis (great player just not tall enough)
Doron Lamb
Dakari Johnson
Marcus Lee
all of these guys fall victim to leaving when they’re not ready (everyone except Ulis that guy would’ve been the best guard in the league had he been 6’1-6’3”)
And i find it EXTREMELY AMUSING that you bring up Whitney a guy who decided to bolt in the middle of the season instead of staying and developing with UK and Cal. in conclusion UL fans are stupid

Reactions: TheBlueCat
So wait, you think Sean Miller isn't hyped, but Bruce Webber is?

Also, Chris Beard is thought of as an overachieving coach. Nobody thought for a second that TT was a final four team, but he made it to the title game and had a shot to win. He actually showed some coaching abilities, but you have to have talent and he was short on that last season.

Seriously, Bruce Webber though? Is there anyone outside of Manhattan, KS that hypes him up?

Meanwhile, Sean Miller gets talked about like he has multiple final fours on his resume.

Bruce Weber is an example.
After the run by Illinois in 2004-2005 people thought he was a legit coach

Weber is a solid coach like Chris Beard.

Sean Miller. I don't see where the hype is at.
He can recruit because he is at Arizona but no one thinks the Miller is an elite coach.

Regarding Chris Beard...
You are speaking about you...
I think most knew Tech was going to make a run because of their defense
Had a solid team with Jarrett Culver. Culver made a huge difference for him and made Tech a very elite defensive team.

Like I have said before. In college the coaches get the hype.
In the NBA the players. But ultimately it is a mix of both.
Some people mentioned Tom Creen. Creen has a Final 4 as well. But he had Dewayne Wade

Beard is a solid coach. There are 60-70 solid coaches who can make a Final 4 run.

ADVERTISEMENT