ADVERTISEMENT

N.....NPOY

WORST. POST. EVER.

yea, trae ruined his team with his selfish play while leading the country in assists. And he would average 20 assists per game if his teammates weren't so awful.

What trae young is doing with the worst teammates in major conference basketball is nothing short of amazing.

DePaul fan saying OU has the worst players in a major conference? o_O

Khadeem Lattin, Christian James, Kameron McGusty, McNeace, etc. are pretty solid players.

Young consistenly has terrible Shot selection. He takes shots Steph Curry wouldn't dream of attempting. Also plays zero D.

And Getting assists doesn't always equal unselfish by the way. He's just chasing stats when he actually passes the ball.

His numbers are crazy, but let's not pretend he's an unselfish player who cares at all about making his team better.

Wasnt being a smart ass. Was legit just looking for your opinion on why you thought they were the best team. Didn't notice you said "one of" the best teams.

I'd take Brunson , Carter and Graham over Young any day. Not for player of the year, but just as a pg running my team.

Don't worry about it man you're good. You're not the first person to do it nor will you be the last to do it. Hell I've done it. Some of those times I caught it before I could get hammered by another poster.

Reactions: doogie503
but let's not pretend he's an unselfish player who cares at all about making his team better.

Look, argue for whomever you want, but really? But the clear negative implication of what you posted is that Trae Young is a selfish player who only cares about himself and not his team "at all."

At least Skip Bayless gets paid handsomely for his ridiculous takes.

Reactions: crimson&blue4ku
In 2001-02 Jay Williams was the NPOY but Juan Dixon was the ACC POY. They weren't even co-POY, it was just Dixon. The year prior both Battier and Forte shared the ACC POY.
Well they screwed it up that year, too. IMO, you have to be the best player in your conference, in order to be considered the best player in the country. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.

WORST. POST. EVER.

yea, trae ruined his team with his selfish play while leading the country in assists. And he would average 20 assists per game if his teammates weren't so awful.

What trae young is doing with the worst teammates in major conference basketball is nothing short of amazing.
Laughing

Amazing? Ninja, please.

Reactions: RockChalkRally
Look, argue for whomever you want, but really? But the clear negative implication of what you posted is that Trae Young is a selfish player who only cares about himself and not his team "at all."

At least Skip Bayless gets paid handsomely for his ridiculous takes.

Give me a legit reason for why he's an unselfish player or cares about his team. And don't tell me because he gets assists. That's just another part of his stat line that he cares about

Reactions: toonces11
DePaul fan saying OU has the worst players in a major conference? o_O

Khadeem Lattin, Christian James, Kameron McGusty, McNeace, etc. are pretty solid players.

Young consistenly has terrible Shot selection. He takes shots Steph Curry wouldn't dream of attempting. Also plays zero D.

And Getting assists doesn't always equal unselish by the way. He's just chasing stats when he actually passes the ball.

His numbers are crazy, but let's not pretend he's an unselfish player who cares at all about making his team better.

DePaul is definitely in the same boat, but take Trae off OU and I think DePaul is a better team. It's pretty close though as they're both in the running for worst team in major conference ball.

Lattin might be the worst offensive player in the country. He's so inept he was removed from the starting lineup.

James can occasionally knock down a wide open jumper, but only occasionally. He usually misses and everything else he does is terrible.

McGusty is useless, does less than nothing out there.

Doolittle is without a doubt the worst player I've ever seen in my life who gets minutes.

McNease does have some good post moves, he's easily the 2nd best player on the team.

Everyone else is garbage as well.

Reactions: Mgkcbb
Trae Young built his record-setting numbers and crazy stats in the first 2/3 of the season. Then he came back down to earth and absolutely destroyed his own team with his selfishness and poor play. His stats have been in free fall since January. OU's end of season train wreck sits squarely on his shoulders and, because of that, he should not be player of the year.

Devonte Graham is Big 12 POY - Poster child of high level consistency
Brunson is probably national POY (but their are arguments for others, except Trae Young)
Stats have been in free fall since January yet he still leads the nation in PPG and APG? Laughing

Well they screwed it up that year, too. IMO, you have to be the best player in your conference, in order to be considered the best player in the country. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.
I agree, just saying it happens.

Reactions: npreston
DePaul is definitely in the same boat, but take Trae off OU and I think DePaul is a better team. It's pretty close though as they're both in the running for worst team in major conference ball.

Lattin might be the worst offensive player in the country. He's so inept he was removed from the starting lineup.

James can occasionally knock down a wide open jumper, but only occasionally. He usually misses and everything else he does is terrible.

McGusty is useless, does less than nothing out there.

Doolittle is without a doubt the worst player I've ever seen in my life who gets minutes.

McNease does have some good post moves, he's easily the 2nd best player on the team.

Everyone else is garbage as well.
Isn’t the job of a good player, especially a PG, to elevate the players around him?

Isn’t the job of a good player, especially a PG, to elevate the players around him?

yes and he does. He sets them up with wide open looks all game long and they consistently blow it. He'd average 20 apg with competent teammates.

Even the announcer last night was keeping a running count of all the wide open looks Young was getting for his teammates vs how many those bums actually converted.

Well he did just break the all-time single season conference scoring record and is the only player in conference history to score over 800 in a season. He's also only the second player from a major conference to do that in the past 20 years (JJ Redick). He also still leads the nation in assists by a wide margin. Like it or not, he's going to be the NPOY.
He’s a turnover machine though... that has got to hurt him

Indeed, he is a T/O machine, although he has the ball in his hands like 99% of the time so that's to be somewhat expected. His A/TO ratio certainly takes a hit because of it though. However, like someone already mentioned, if he had more competent teammates I could see him averaging 12+ assist per game rather than the 9 he averages now. They consistently fail to convert gift-wrapped assists.

If young didn’t dominate the ball so much his team may actually win games. If they would actually run offense and reverse the ball they would be a better team. Young averages 9 assists per game because he dominates the ball. He also turns it over more against better competition. Add to his 5+ turnovers a game the shots that are essentially turnovers leading to run outs and he is not deserving of NPOY.

Don’t get me wrong. He is a fantastic player and got exactly what he wanted going to Ou. However if Kruger would actually run offense outside of young and reign him in a bit they would be a much better team.

NPOY cannot go to a player who is under .500 in conference. I would like 4/5 players above him. HOWEVER, he clearly is deserving of 1st team All American.

I just saw a clip of Jay Wiliams and Greenberg agreeing that Graham is NPOY.

I mean...that'd be cool but...seriously?

Earlier this year it was looking like Vick was going to steal some of the thunder, but the Earth got back on axis and Graham has dominated like everyone thought he would.

What's bad about Vick is a majority of KU fans are all seeing the same thing and are also saying the same things about Vick's play. He's been horrible. It's gone step further in saying he's looked lazy and disinterested. Sadly LaGerald Vick honest to god looks like he's not even trying.

Reactions: Kevin Bryan
What's bad about Vick is a majority of KU fans are all seeing the same thing and are also saying the same things about Vick's play. He's been horrible. It's gone step further in saying he's looked lazy and disinterested. Sadly LaGerald Vick honest to god looks like he's not even trying.
Trade you straight up Vick for Diallo... Winking

Reactions: RockChalkRally
He's a stud for sure, but KU isn't allowed to have B2B NPOYs. :D

If he always played the way he did in Lubbock, I'd definitely agree he should be in the conversation. That was some impressive sh*t. But he hasn't consistently been that masterful.

If he always played the way he did in Lubbock, I'd definitely agree he should be in the conversation. That was some impressive sh*t. But he hasn't consistently been that masterful.
He still has some impressive stats, but that 40% from the field leaves something to be desired. Deadly from 3 though.

He still has some impressive stats, but that 40% from the field leaves something to be desired. Deadly from 3 though.

He seems to either go 10/15 or completely sh*t the bed with a 3/12. But it seems like he's getting serious at the right time.

Better be. He owes us a final four run after his 0-fer vs Oregon.

Lets compare Trae Young, who runs Oklahomas offense, to guys in the NBA who do the exact same.

Trae Young per 100: 13.2 assists/7.9 turnovers

harden per 100 (this year): 12.2/5.9
harden per 100 (last year): 14.8/7.6

westbrook per 100 (this year) 14.3/6.5
westbrook per 100 (last year) 14.7/7.7

Harden and Westbrook finished 1-2 in league MVP voting last season with essentially the exact same assist/turnover numbers Trae has.

Seriously, the casual fan narratives that surround Trae Young are just so incredibly awful.

Lets compare Trae Young, who runs Oklahomas offense, to guys in the NBA who do the exact same.

Harden and Westbrook finished 1-2 in league MVP voting last season with essentially the exact same assist/turnover numbers Trae has.

Seriously, the casual fan narratives that surround Trae Young are just so incredibly awful.
You’re forgetting the most important stat, wins and losses. Harden and Westbrook have a ton. Young doesn’t. Young isn’t even the best player in the Big 12.

You’re forgetting the most important stat, wins and losses. Harden and Westbrook have a ton. Young doesn’t. Young isn’t even the best player in the Big 12.

Im not forgetting wins and losses.

Trae took an Oklahoma team that went 11-20 and 5-13 in conference and already has then at 17-12 and 7-10 with a much tougher SOS.

Trae Young is far and away the best player in the Big12. The gap between him and whoever is #2 is larger than #2 and #10.

Trae Young is far and away the best player in the Big12. The gap between him and whoever is #2 is larger than #2 and #10.
RollLaugh

Stop. You’re killin me. I’m not totally sure if you’re trolling, so I’m just gonna keep laughing, cause you can’t be serious.

You are 100% forgetting his terrible shots that happen by the handful every game that are essentially turnovers.

You are 100% forgetting his terrible shots that happen by the handful every game that are essentially turnovers.
Yes sir. That might contribute to his atrocious assist to turnover ratio. He doesn’t make anyone around him better. Matter of fact, he monopolizes the ball and actually brings his teammates down. He has a losing record in conference. He couldn’t defend my sons 6th grade team. He is probably one of the worst on ball defenders in the Big 12.

The kid is talented, but NPOY? No fvckin way.

Lets take a spin on the casual fan hottake carousel

"I know Trae leads the nation in both points and assists, but his assist/turnover ratio isnt good enough to be national player of the year."

- Traes assist to turnover per 100 mirrors Harden and Westbrooks last season when they were 1-2 in MVP voting.

"Well, youre forgetting wins and losses."

-Trae took a 11-20 team who went 5-13 in the same conference last year and now has them at 17-12 (7-10)playing the toughest schedule in the nation. Oklahoma has a higher winning % than the OKC Thunder did last year as Westbrook took home the MVP.

"Well, he takes bad shots."

- His True Shooting % is 59.5, Devonte Grahams is only 58.3.

So does anyone else have anymore bad lol takes for me to mythbust or are we finished flamethrowing these awful hottakes at Trae Young like we did Ben Simmons?

Reactions: Big_Blue79
Lets take a spin on the casual fan hottake carousel

"I know Trae leads the nation in both points and assists, but his assist/turnover ratio isnt good enough to be national player of the year."

- Traes assist to turnover per 100 mirrors Harden and Westbrooks last season when they were 1-2 in MVP voting.

"Well, youre forgetting wins and losses."

-Trae took a 11-20 team who went 5-13 in the same conference last year and now has them at 17-12 (7-10)playing the toughest schedule in the nation. Oklahoma has a higher winning % than the OKC Thunder did last year as Westbrook took home the MVP.

"Well, he takes bad shots."

- His True Shooting % is 59.5, Devonte Grahams is only 58.3.

So does anyone else have anymore bad lol takes for me to mythbust or are we finished flamethrowing these awful hottakes at Trae Young like we did Ben Simmons?
So you think OU improving by 6 wins is a huge stat to hang your hat on? And all six games are attributed to Young and not any of his teammates getting better? How many of his assists totals are b/c of swinging the ball to an open jump shooter? Dude is a ball hog---just look at his teammates body language when he goes into "me" mode. He shouldn't be the NPOY. I don't see an ounce of Harden or westbrook in him.

Reactions: RipThru
So you think OU improving by 6 wins is a huge stat to hang your hat on? And all six games are attributed to Young and not any of his teammates getting better? How many of his assists totals are b/c of swinging the ball to an open jump shooter? Dude is a ball hog---just look at his teammates body language when he goes into "me" mode. He shouldn't be the NPOY. I don't see an ounce of Harden or westbrook in him.

Trae young is not the NPOY. He may not even be a top three player in the big 12.

UK and KU fans are so jealous of Trae Young its hilarious. Duke fans openly acknowledge that if we swapped Trevon Duval with Trae Young, we'd be the greatest college basketball offense of all time.

This guy is simply ridiculous. People on here can't comprehend high usage players like Westbrook and Trae Young and assume that they're selfish.

I can't wait till Trae gets out of college and joins a team like the 76ers. Good luck double teaming Trae when you have to deal with Embiid and Simmons too.

OU has the worst roster among all Power 5 teams outside of Pitt. Trae Young has them on the verge of a NCAA tournament birth. That's truly remarkable.

UK and KU fans are so jealous of Trae Young its hilarious.
giphy.gif

ADVERTISEMENT