ADVERTISEMENT

N.....NPOY

Well he did just break the all-time single season conference scoring record and is the only player in conference history to score over 800 in a season. He's also only the second player from a major conference to do that in the past 20 years (JJ Redick). He also still leads the nation in assists by a wide margin. Like it or not, he's going to be the NPOY.

Well he did just break the all-time single season conference scoring record and is the only player in conference history to score over 800 in a season. He's also only the second player from a major conference to do that in the past 20 years (JJ Redick). He also still leads the nation in assists by a wide margin. Like it or not, he's going to be the NPOY.

Honestly wouldn't be surprised if he won NPOY but didn't win Big 12 POY. Crazy.

I could break the Big 12 single season scoring record if I jacked 40 shots a game, too

It wouldn't surprise me if Young won NPOY but Jalen Brunson, at least IMO, should be the NPOY. He's the best player on one of the best team in the country. He's not just an offensive threat either so he's got Young beat there too.

Trae Young had such a tremendous year that it would be braindead levels of stupid to award it to anyone else.

Oklahoma played the toughest schedule in the nation according to both KenPom and BPI, and he still put up better than Steph Curry's junior year numbers. One of the greatest seasons in college basketball in some time hes had.

But if youre going to be that stupid, at least give it to Deandre Ayton instead.

Oklahoma played the toughest schedule in the nation according to both KenPom and BPI,

Am I reading this wrong? :D

2mhdi89.png

Young reminds me of Maten of Georgia.

Maten stats are worthy of SEC POY, but his team sucks.

How can a player win NPOY, but not POY in his conference? Young is a phenomenal talent, but he’s on a shitty team and his assist to turnover ratio is terrible. 5 turnovers a game isn’t necessarily taking care of the ball. And the biggest stat of all, wins and losses. He hasn’t done very well in that category lately.

IMO the NPOY is Brunson.

Last time I checked it was Oklahoma at 1. But regardless who cares. Theyve now slid down to #2 overall.
I guess their SOS reflects in their overall record.

He should have went to KU. Although I'm pretty sure Self would have flipped his wig over all the turnovers.

Blue Bloods are not for everyone. "If you're going to come in and expect 20 shots per game, then don't come here".

Last edited:
I guess their SOS reflects in their overall record.

He should have went to KU. Although I'm pretty sure Self would have flipped his wig over all the turnovers.

Blue Bloods are not for everyone. "If you're going to come in and expect 20 shots per game, then don't come here".
Young really wanted to go to UK, so I have no idea why he waited so long to make a decision allowing UK to snag Green instead. UK prioritized Young but didn't want to get left out to dry so took Green when they could. I remember some scuttlebutt about guys not really wanting to play with Young or something like that. He would definitely not have had the offensive freedom at UK or KU, so I would say it worked out well for him going to OU. His NBA stock would not be where it is now had he chosen to go to Kansas or Kentucky.

Young really wanted to go to UK, so I have no idea why he waited so long to make a decision allowing UK to snag Green instead. UK prioritized Young but didn't want to get left out to dry so took Green when they could. I remember some scuttlebutt about guys not really wanting to play with Young or something like that. He would definitely not have had the offensive freedom at UK or KU, so I would say it worked out well for him going to OU. His NBA stock would not be where it is now had he chosen to go to Kansas or Kentucky.
Green worked out well for UK due to who he brought with him.

If Trigga Trae chose Kansas instead of Oklahoma we would be talking about how its Kansas vs the rest of the field and theyd probably have the best offense in history of the KenPom era.

Kansas would be dump trucking teams and would most likely only have 2 losses max and Trae would be looked at as a #1 overall pick type.

But he didnt chose Kansas. He chose an Oklahoma team that went 11-20 last season devoid of any real talent so we get the hottakes instead because casual fans have no ability to contextualize what they see - they just think its one way.

Similar to all those hilarious hottakes we got about Ben Simmons because he played for a bad team (and a bad coach as well in his case), we now get the same types of wrong flamethrower hottakes launched at Trae Young all because the viewing public all collectively have a misunderstanding of basketball and how to analyze it.

Green worked out well for UK due to who he brought with him.
Jury is still out on that. Those boys have all underachieved to this point in the season. The past 3 games they have looked really good, let's just hope that's not a fluke and they are really starting to figure things out.

It wouldn't surprise me if Young won NPOY but Jalen Brunson, at least IMO, should be the NPOY. He's the best player on one of the best team in the country. He's not just an offensive threat either so he's got Young beat there too.

Think Nova is the best team? They're not even gonna win their league, are they?

I do really like Brunson though.

Lol. Young is a game killer

So... you are not able to set Big 12 scoring records on 19.3 shots per game (on good efficiency)? Great, we'll put you somewhere below Trae Young in the NPOY rankings (along with everyone else).

So... you are not able to set Big 12 scoring records on 19.3 shots per game (on good efficiency)? Great, we'll put you somewhere below Trae Young in the NPOY rankings (along with everyone else).
He was great when teams weren't used to him yet. He has been downright average the past 12 games or so. I could name 5 players off the top of my head more deserving of NPOY than Young right now.

Trae Young built his record-setting numbers and crazy stats in the first 2/3 of the season. Then he came back down to earth and absolutely destroyed his own team with his selfishness and poor play. His stats have been in free fall since January. OU's end of season train wreck sits squarely on his shoulders and, because of that, he should not be player of the year.

Devonte Graham is Big 12 POY - Poster child of high level consistency
Brunson is probably national POY (but their are arguments for others, except Trae Young)

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
Well he did just break the all-time single season conference scoring record and is the only player in numb
He is a really good player, but his shot selection is often terrible---almost equivalent to a turnover. These shots disrupt any flow the other OU players have and puts them back on defense b/c he jacks early in the clock. He would not be able to volume shoot at a place like KU or UK---He would ride the bench until he could improve on his decision making.

Trae Young built his record-setting numbers and crazy stats in the first 2/3 of the season. Then he came back down to earth and absolutely destroyed his own team with his selfishness and poor play. His stats have been in free fall since January. OU's end of season train wreck sits squarely on his shoulders and, because of that, he should not be player of the year.

Brunson is probably national POY (but their are arguments for others, except Trae Young)
I'd put Evans a step or two ahead of young as well.

Reactions: BobbyBoucheer
He was great when teams weren't used to him yet. He has been downright average the past 12 games or so. I could name 5 players off the top of my head more deserving of NPOY than Young right now.

Oh, I thought that "Year" in "National Player of the Year" referred to the entire college basketball season, not just the calendar year (past 12 games or so). Thanks for clearing that up. So Trae Young will win "National Player of the 2017-2018 College Basketball Season." Who will win "National Player of the 2018 Calendar Year Through April But Definitely Not the 2018 Part of the 2018-2019 College Basketball Season?"

Oh, I thought that "Year" in "National Player of the Year" referred to the entire college basketball season, not just the calendar year (past 12 games or so). Thanks for clearing that up. So Trae Young will win "National Player of the 2017-2018 College Basketball Season." Who will win "National Player of the 2018 Calendar Year Through April But Definitely Not the 2018 Part of the 2018-2019 College Basketball Season?"
You can spin it however you want, he's not been the best player this year and doesn't deserve the award.

That’s fantastic. He’s amazing.

Meanwhile, since the WV game, OU is 5-11. NPoYs usually come from good teams, not garbage

Trae young is not the NPOY. He may not even be a top three player in the big 12.

He's led them to the bottom half of the Big 12. The best OU can do is 8 wins. The should do this because they finish Friday against ISU that is searching for their 5th win. He still is a favorite for many rewards because many voters have just seen his stats and not what he has accomplished and those accomplishments are nowhere close to DG and other top winners.

you don't read so good. He clearly said Villanova was "one of the best teams". Obviously that's a true statement.

WORST. POST. EVER.

yea, trae ruined his team with his selfish play while leading the country in assists. And he would average 20 assists per game if his teammates weren't so awful.

What trae young is doing with the worst teammates in major conference basketball is nothing short of amazing.

I'd rather have had Ayton choose Kansas than Trae Young.

Or if we're doing revisionist history, Billy Preston takes the bus.

What I said was I thought Villanova is one of the best teams of the country and they are. Trae Young has been terrific most of the year. The downside is the book on how to play against him is out and it's being executed pretty damn well. Still is remarkable what he has done this season especially since he's just a freshman.

On to Jalen Brunson. Even though Brunson is a junior, you would think after being in the college game for 3 years that it would make it a bit easier to stop him or contain him. A lot of team & players have tried to keep him contained but very few have succeeded. Like Young, Brunson is the the man making his team go. The difference is Young's supporting cast have just been awful. I like Trae Young but I like Brunson a lot more.

DTae and Brunson co-NPOY.

DTae led his team to a conference champion (outright). Without him, they'd probably be 4-6th in the Big XII, maybe lower.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
you don't read so good. He clearly said Villanova was "one of the best teams". Obviously that's a true statement.

Apparently you don't speak "so good"... so I guess we're even. Or maybe you're just a Shawshank fan

Seriously though. Wasn't even trying to be a smart ass. I didn't notice where he said "one of".

Last edited:
What I said was I thought Villanova is one of the best teams of the country and they are. Trae Young has been terrific most of the year. The downside is the book on how to play against him is out and it's being executed pretty damn well. Still is remarkable what he has done this season especially since he's just a freshman.

On to Jalen Brunson. Even though Brunson is a junior, you would think after being in the college game for 3 years that it would make it a bit easier to stop him or contain him. A lot of team & players have tried to keep him contained but very few have succeeded. Like Young, Brunson is the the man making his team go. The difference is Young's supporting cast have just been awful. I like Trae Young but I like Brunson a lot more.

Wasnt being a smart ass. Was legit just looking for your opinion on why you thought they were the best team. Didn't notice you said "one of" the best teams.

I'd take Brunson , Carter and Graham over Young any day. Not for player of the year, but just as a pg running my team.

on how many shot attempts? The carte blanche he has gotten is sickening. Sacrificing wins for that record is what it is....

ADVERTISEMENT