ADVERTISEMENT

MSU vs UK

2 of the most egregious, in my likely-to-be-biased opinion, was the charge called on Tillman when he passed to Bingham for an oop (was 18-18 at that point with MSU surging), and then a couple of plays later when they called Marble for a foul where Maxey jumped behind the hoop and had nowhere to go and bounced it off the backboard. And if I'm being picky, they missed a travel on Hagan's breakaway and Gabe Brown got absolutely hammered on a breakaway dunk with no call at all - but I think both of those were in the 2nd half when the calls seemed pretty even.

After I rewatched on YouTube, not a ton of other calls stood out. But the first half was definitely hard to watch, just from all the stoppages. No flow, most points from FTs etc.

The part in bold: Hagan walked a mile. He took three steps. No doubt about that. However, Winston's being fouled (Richard's fifth foul) on a short shot and a free throw was more of him running into Richard than anything else.

Top to bottom I though it was close to evenly called; however, the game would have been better for both teams if the refs had loosened up on their calls.

You can't see it on (that) video, but Hagans deflected an inbounds pass off a MSU player. The ref was assuming it was just an inbounds pass and was already heading down the floor. Since he didn't see it, he just awarded the ball back to MSU.

I don't get into the ref stuff, but since it's being disected here. ...

Lets be honest... if they didnt call the game with weak fouls like that............the score would of been like 48-45 and no one wants that to be the top billing in your college basketball season. lol This champions classic needs to be in december.

and once again the big 10 are over rated twats ............ Kidding kidding. MSU played hard and ran plays well.... just didnt execute on shot making. .. going to be a tough out in march... possibly another final four year for them.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
I thought that Kentucky looked good last night. I did not know what to expect. Now that it is over I feel good that Maxey took up some of the slack left by Whitney and others.

Michigan State plays big boy basketball and foul a lot so I did not think the refs had to invent fouls to call on MSU.

I was impressed that UK's bigs actually held their own. Richards and Montgomery are weak offensively, but UK needs them on defense.

UK will probably end up number 1 and I enjoy that, but it does not do a young team any good. UK is going to see several losses.
They’ll have some losses but I highly doubt there are “several”.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
1. Agree. I thought the game was well called.

2. "been more fun had they let'em go..."--No. Both teams fouled A LOT, early. It wouldn't have been fun. It probably would've gotten chippy.

3. "didn't change how they called it.."---Seldom do. At this level, coaches and players adjust. Its why we saw a much better second half, with a better flow. Its also why (usually) you don't see stuff called in the 1st half---called in the 2nd half. Teams adjust to how the game is being called.

Overall, I thought those guys were really good. That was a tough game to call. Physical...Lot of driving. Lot of play in the lane. IMO, there was maybe a handful of calls that made you go---"Meh---I dunno, guys."

that can be said of every game played
overall i think the refs did a good job

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
I will bet you whatever you want that Kentucky does not end up the best defensive team in the country when the postseason begins.
Tempted to take this bet
Oh you should. We can use KenPom rankings.

$100.

You in?
3 and it’s a bet
Sure. Why not.

Deal.
giphy.gif

Well @bking, we're waiting.
There's a lot of gems in this thread. There usually are a ton of horrible November predictions based off of pre-season games and the Champions Classic. I don't ever have the motivation to bump them like hailtoyourvictor would. But it happens every single year.

UK is currently 17th in adjusted defense. Hard to imagine they finish top 3 but I guess it could theoretically still happen.

I’m not sure I’d ever bet a team is going to be top 3 in defense any given year unless it’s Virginia.
Yeah, that’s a horrible bet. The gap between #3 and #10 or whatever number is usually so fractional anyway.

That said, it could probably still happen.

Reactions: FaithPlusOne
ADVERTISEMENT