Motorcycle Riders GITT

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by The.Waving.Wheat, May 20, 2019.

1. Skyhawk48

Skyhawk48 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

You are several thousands of miles away from commuting. You can take this advice or not it is not my bones breaking. First always always remember to look where you want to go. Too many people get fixated on something bad happening in front of them instead of looking for a way to get out of it.

Second use those thousands of miles to first understand counter steering and braking. Without understanding counter steering when you start getting sassy and go into that first hot corner you will be worrying more about your underpants than overpants. A local guy bought his first Harley and died on the way home by plunging nearly a 100 feet off an overpass not understanding counter steering. Braking; too many people depend on the rear too much in severe braking. Also understand how to lean into the corners and use the rear to brush a little speed off and stabilize the bike.

And one other thing it was mentioned three times before the post you replied to that I had 55 years experience in riding and I can still type and ride.

2. clad_in_big_orange

clad_in_big_orange Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I understand you but I also understand counter steering and threshold breaking. I don’t know how classes are in your area but ours was a full three days on the bike with close observation covering countersteering and threshold breaking. I had experience with these before but in the space of three days we covered 100 miles of practice in the space of a parking lot and I’ve put at least that in on my own. I’ve practiced swerving, threshold breaking, low speed turns, u-turns, etc.

It’s not like I went and took a test where I showed I could turn and then got out on the road.

If I do send myself to the ER I promise to come back and let you enjoy your I told you so.

3. uquackmeup

uquackmeup Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

take the courses, practice, etc..then the best thing for new riders to focus on is using common sense, the brain inside the helmet..start off going slow and gradually work your way up with experience and confidence, wear proper safety gear, hi vi, pay attention, anticipate and expect all motorists to be dumbasses, road conditions, etc..I'm 57, ride all the time, and have spent most of my life riding and racing various kinds of on and off road and I know I still ain't 'good enough'..tragedy can strike in the blink of an eye so the more aware you are the more prepared you are to try and avoid it

4. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

LMAO. Big freaking deal you have 100 miles of practice and 900 road miles. Oh excuse me Mr. Know it All. I was willing to give you the benefit of 55 years of experience over all kinds of terrain with basically every type of motorcycle you can ride, but you are full of pomp and circumstance. At this point I will defer to your signature and your Kentjacket quote.

5. clad_in_big_orange

clad_in_big_orange Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Damn those 55 years sure have made you senile and crotchety.

6. CTN-1

CTN-1 Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Motorcycles are my preferred method of travel. I have four Harley's and am almost a daily rider. A friend bought a Scout Bobber last fall and I got to take a spin on it.

The Scout Bobber to me has a nice ride with plenty of power out of the box. I enjoyed the 6 speed trans. If I were going to buy a brand new bike I would strongly consider the Indian Springfield... lifetime warranty is hard to argue with, plus I like the styling of them.

Hope you enjoy your new bike OP.

BawlzDeep and The.Waving.Wheat like this.
  7. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

The book I mentioned earlier strongly recommends practicing hard-stops. I do so in a parking lot every spring, and then on the road 1-2 times every time I go out. It's the #1 defensive tactic. And braking should always favor the front one, imo. Knowing how to control the bike with that lever is of utmost importance. Look through turns - "target fixation" is a real danger. If you look at what you don't want to hit, you'll probably hit it.

Skyhawk48 and The.Waving.Wheat like this.
  8. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

LMAO I have been called worse things by a lot better men.

9. The.Waving.Wheat

The.Waving.Wheat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I just put on some new slip ons - Freedom Performance 4” Eagles. They’re a little louder than I was hoping for my neighborhood so I may end up getting some baffles to quiet them down. I do like the tone and the look, however. Since I also added a performance air filter, I did a reflash and can tell a small difference in performance.

[​IMG]

The only other accessory that I’d really like is a solo luggage rack and bag. After that, I have some cosmetic changes like getting some of the parts (brake/clutch levers, pulley cover) powder coated OSU orange :)

I’ve been spending plenty of time in the parking lots with cones and am starting to feel more confident with some of the low speed maneuvers. Still have a long way to go, however.

49 The.Waving.Wheat, Jun 18, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
  10. CTN-1

CTN-1 Well-Known Member
    Silver Member
    Expand Collapse

Good call on adding the Orange...