Motorcycle Riders GITT

Discussion in 'College Football Soundoff' started by The.Waving.Wheat, May 20, 2019.

1. The.Waving.Wheat

The.Waving.Wheat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

After a powerful PowerPoint presentation, my wife finally gave in and let me get a motorcycle. For my first motorcycle, went out and got a 2019 Indian Scout Bobber in Thunder Black.

I took the Motorcycle Foundation Safety (MSF) course and received my "M" endorsement about a month ago. For someone with no real road experience, this was a great course to teach the basics. I'm still not completely comfortable with slow speed maneuvering and try to practice in empty parking lots when I can find the time, but I've put about 1k miles on my bike in the last month and absolutely love it.

As with anyone and a new motorcycle, stock just isn't enough. Here are the current modifications:
    • Brass Balls (OKC company by the way) leather grips
    • Joker Machines mini floorboards
    • Kuryakyn shift and brake pegs
    • Fox performance shocks (stock shocks are pretty rough)
    • Corbin custom solo saddle in bomber gray (stock seat is also pretty rough)
    The shocks and seat make a big difference. Before putting them on, getting a tiny bit of air would cause my butthole to pucker up. These make a big difference.

I'm not done with the mods. I just purchased a Memphis Shades fairing/windscreen. These should arrive just in time to install them this weekend.

In addition to some less exciting mods (solo luggage rack/bag, brake/clutch levers, radiator guard), I'm still trying to determine if I want a whole new exhaust system (or maybe just slip on mufflers). Aesthetically, the stock mufflers are comically long. While I would like a deeper "rumble" at low RPMs/idle, I don't want to piss off neighbors with obnoxiously loud pipes. Baffles would help but probably not enough. I'm not sure if I can justify such an expensive purchase just for aesthetics.

One thing I love about motorcycles is that while I'm not the most mechanically gifted person, a motorcycle is a simple enough machine to allow a lot of fairly low risk tinkering with simple tools. I work on a computer all day so being able to change the oil, perform other basic maintenance, and switch out parts/add accessories is a nice hobby.

Anyway, here's my Indian Scout Bobber:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Post the pictures!

Jtrain2.0, CL34, red scowl and 5 others like this.
  2. uquackmeup

uquackmeup Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

congrats! beautiful bike and great choice! I won't waste our time talking about mods, DIY maintenance, etc. Focus should be on safety for new riders and taking the MFS was the best thing you could ever do.
    Wear quality and appropriate safety gear, light weight FF helmet like a Shoei GT Air as one example, more protection and Hi Vis is best. ~ 1/2 of accidents are face plants, most are single rider errors in corners (obviously alcohol is a no no as your instincts, reflexes etc.,need to be 100%)

Beware of intersections in broad daylight where high % off accidents occur. Good lighting is money well spent.

Trust no drivers, anticipate their actions and make eye contact, look at their wheels moving ready to pull out and just slow down basically in city traffic.

Don't neglect checking your tires frequently.

Road debris, wet leaves, gravel, road kill, etc. presents much bigger threats to us bikers than cars

Have fun, enjoy and be safe!

3. MarineG8R

MarineG8R Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

sweet looking bike.

The.Waving.Wheat likes this.
  4. txTIGER1963

txTIGER1963 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

nice, always look where you want to go
    don't get object fixation
    sweet ride

5. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

Other than jeans, I have some decent safety gear. I’m using the free, full face helmet I got at the Indian dealership, but I’ll be upgrading before too long.

The MSF instructor said to assume you’re invisible to everyone else. I haven’t had any close calls yet, but this has been really good advice. Good advice on road debris. Loose gravel is very present where I live.

For lighting, do you recommend just brighter headlight, or brakes and blinkers as well?

01fatboy and BawlzDeep like this.
  6. utpimp

utpimp Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Currently on a Kawasaki Versys-X because I do lot of dual sport riding. Looking to buy a Yamaha XSR 900 sometime this fall for straight road riding.

BawlzDeep and The.Waving.Wheat like this.
  7. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

Object fixation is real! It reminds me of this experiment...

BawlzDeep likes this.
  8. uquackmeup

Expand Collapse

well just work with your dealer to look in the P&A Catalog to see if there is opportunity for improvement..might not be for your make/model..at least wear some hi vis gear..you simply want to stand out as like your MFS instructor said..you are invisible, same line of thinking that every gun is loaded

BawlzDeep likes this.
  9. MarineG8R

MarineG8R Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Any pointers on the power point presentation? I had a bike in the service and college but had to sell once we had kids. I'd like to convince the wife to let me get another. I really have my eye on a BMW

[​IMG]

Better to ask permission or forgiveness?

UCFhonors likes this.
  10. Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll

Wasnt-drunk-didnt-troll Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Best advice for anyone looking to get a bike I can give:

Ride like you are the only one on the road paying attention.

It is way better to leave the corner thinking you could have gone faster than be in the middle of it wishing you were going slower.

Nice bike, keep her shiny side up.

01fatboy and Skyhawk48 like this.
  11. uquackmeup

Expand Collapse

YES! bad things can happen in a split second...heed this advice..ease into this new adventure and build confidence as you slowly gain experience

12. UCFhonors

UCFhonors Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Very cool bike. Going slow always UCFeels off. That's why I ride UCFast.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

13. uquackmeup

Expand Collapse

oh yeah, forgot to mention, don't be cocky or arrogant out there or you may UCFaceplant

14. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Indian looks slick, man. I have an old Yamaha V-star, and the Scout is one of the bikes I'll consider when I finally get around to upgrading (Triumphs the other main candidate).

I suggest the book "Proficient Motorcycling" by David Hough. It focuses on the way people get in accidents, teaches some practical avoidance techniques. When you're on a bike, you become acutely aware of how distracted and stupid some drivers are, believe me.

15. BawlzDeep

BawlzDeep Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Great looking bike.

Grab some cones, chalk, and head to a wide open parking lot.

Practice, practice, and practice. Especially with the riding season getting going for most.

Braking, slow turns, and working that friction zone. Look where you want to go and keep your head up and scanning. Good luck and welcome to my obsession.

Hit this link and download this book. It can teach you well and save your life.

15 BawlzDeep, May 20, 2019
    Last edited: May 20, 2019
    uquackmeup and The.Waving.Wheat like this.
  16. uquackmeup

Expand Collapse

couple buddies ride Triumphs, Bonneville and Speedmaster..love what Triumph has been producing over the past decade..love the Indian Scout as well

The.Waving.Wheat and JohnShadows like this.
  17. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

I will definitely download and check out that book. Thank you! Plenty of empty parking lots in NW OKC to practice in. Need to go to Academy/Dicks/Amazon and get some cones for practicing.

Like I mentioned, low speed maneuvers are still not something I’m completely comfortable with. Something as simple as a U-turn, for example. Or even more typical, a 90-degree turn while slowing down is still something I probably slow down too much for in order to execute. Watching videos of skills competitions on YouTube blows my mind with what they can do with counter weighting and having mastery over their bike.

What do you ride?

BawlzDeep likes this.
  18. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

Yes!! It’s easy to see who is texting or playing with the radio.

I looked at the Triumph too. YouTube videos helped steer me towards the Scout and honestly the fact that OKC has a dealership that I passed every week on my way to church helped me decide.

19. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

KTM 1090 Adventure, Kawasaki Versys, and a Yamaha FZ-09.

Best advice is ride your ride and at your pace. You have time to get better. I know you will do well in time because you are acknowledging what you're not comfortable with doing. So many guys jump in and start riding above their skillset and get hurt.

Here in Texas we have a fantastic riding forum called Two Wheeled Texans. It has riders of all skills shooting the shit and getting together for rides. You might check the web for a similar forum in Oklahoma.

Finding a more experienced rider to help you get established can really help your growth. You don't want to start making any bad habits. An experienced ride who does things the correct way will be a valuable asset.

Fear-the-Spear likes this.
  20. Skyhawk48

Skyhawk48 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Been on two wheels now for over 55 years. Lots of good advice here just going to add that 95% of accidents occur in the first 5% of riding. Cornering is a big concern as counter-steering gets a lot of folks. Practice, keep your eyes open, remember you are going where you are looking, and wear good gear. Old saying it is not if you are going down it is when. Oh and one more thing

[​IMG]

21. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

With 55 years of experience, how many accidents have you been in while riding (involving another vehicle or not)? Any major injuries?

22. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

23. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

No major injuries. Not saying I have not been down. Off road a few times but that is par for the course. On road the last time was a couple of years ago. I had just bought another bike, a Heritage Softail, and had stopped off to look at a car. When I got back to the stop sign the road was steep with a high crown and heavily traveled. I did not give it enough to pull out and had a brain fart. I a situation like that the best answer is more throttle. Instead I decided to regroup and start over. The problem is that the road was now level and I was trying to put the wrong foot down. I got it past the tip point and then instead of just bailing out and rolling I tried to support the bike.

The only damage was to my pride. On road bikes always have crash bars on them. They call them engine guards now. That way the contact points are the handle bars and the bars.

Good words of advice do not try to bench press a Harley.

24. The.Waving.Wheat

Expand Collapse

I replaced the stock fairing and added a Memphis Shades fairing along with a 13” windscreen. Even at 6’1 the windscreen makes a HUGE difference, even at higher speeds.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BawlzDeep likes this.
  25. clad_in_big_orange

clad_in_big_orange Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Glad I found this before starting a new thread. Don't have any pics to load but got a Yamaha XSR 700 a month and a half ago. Took the new rider course at a local Harley Dealership. Couldn't recommend that more. I would have been screwed on low speed manouvers without it.

Bike is this exact model

[​IMG]

Any recs on commuter gear?

BawlzDeep likes this.
  26. JohnShadows

JohnShadows Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Like commuting to work? Full face helmet. You can get overpants as well, some do that.

27. clad_in_big_orange

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Yeah commuting to work. I've got a full face helmet full time. Picked up a Shoei RF 1200. I'm interested to see what folks do for overpants or suits and if anyone prefers to get boots that can potentially work as business casual or just bring a change of shoes.

28. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/firstgear-kathmandu-overpants

29. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

My office is only 1.3 miles away so I rarely ride any of my bikes. The exception has been my scooter.

For overpants/rainsuit I use either a North Face or Columbia Stay Dri type of material. Gore-Tex type of material. Keeps you dry and cuts out the sweat. My boots are Gore-Tex and usually lower cut Danner's. Jacket will be Gore-Tex or similar. Gloves just leather and let them dry out. If I am riding longer trips I use 8 inch boots and tuck the pants inside.
    [​IMG]

30. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

Are you familiar with Brittany Morrow? She paid the price enough for me to spend big on good gear.

31. MelbBamaFan

MelbBamaFan MelbBamaFan@hotmail.com
    Expand Collapse

Permission, if only to gauge whether her first reaction is uncontrolable giddiness followed by a suggestion to increase your life insurance. Never miss an opportunity to see what the opposition is thinking.

MarineG8R likes this.
  32. clad_in_big_orange

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This. I know how to keep myself dry. Looking to keep myself dry, comfy, and keep all my skin where it is.

33. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

In Texas, it's tough to stay comfortable and protected, a good mesh over pants works okay until the temps hot 90+. I drink lots of water and sweat lots when stopped in traffic. But, I'm lucky because I have a gym and showers at work.

34. clad_in_big_orange

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m in Atlanta and am fortunately pretty used to the heat. I found a perforated dianese leather jacket for sale and am just using riding jeans right now and even in 95 degree weather as long as I don’t get stuck in traffic I’m usually ok. I may try to find a mesh pant/jacket combo with a slide rating around the 5 second mark.

BawlzDeep likes this.
  35. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

Seriously? You are trying to tell me how to wear and ride. I have been on two wheelers over 55 years and know how to dress. To me over pants are to keep the rain out as I will be protected otherwise.

Tomorrow when I ride I will have a full Bell helmet, Scorpion vented armored jacket, boots, leather gloves with gel packs and stiff jeans. I have a half dozen jackets for any occasion and the least upper body protection is a Dragon Kevlar shirt.

As for helmets I have NEVER ridden without one. When I started about the only helmet you could get was a Buco half shell. Then it advanced to 3/4 and at last full.

My first Harley was a Topper. 165cc two stroke automatic with a magneto ignition system. That is why I bought a 125cc Vino a couple of years ago makes me feel young. Gonna hit the Barber Vintage Days and see if I can bring a Topper home this year.
    [​IMG]

BawlzDeep likes this.
  36. clad_in_big_orange

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Chill out dude. I asked for commuter overpants for work. It’s implied I’m not wearing ce rated slacks so when you recommended non moto stuff it definitely sounded like you were someone who didn’t wear protective gear.

37. Skyhawk48

Expand Collapse

You want some real advice? You are nowhere near the point to even consider using that bike in the manner you are wanting to use it.

95% of MC accidents occur in the firs 5% of riding. You are brand new and want to get into one of the most stressful and dangerous time of riding.

Looked back and you mentioned low speed manuring learned in one safety course. How much time did you spend on counter steering, controlled breaking, effective cornering. Learn those before you consider commuting.

38. BawlzDeep

Expand Collapse

Wires are crossed, my post wasn't for you. My bad. Somehow I quoted you by mistake.

Skyhawk48 likes this.
  39. clad_in_big_orange

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I’m 1000 miles in. It may not be much but it’s better than nothing. I said I learned them there. I didn’t say it was all I had.

chainsawdw likes this.
  40. Free_Salato_Blue

Free_Salato_Blue Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I think about getting a bike then I hit one those massive potholes on I-75.

Skyhawk48 likes this.