ADVERTISEMENT

Most Underachieving College Basketball Program Of All-Time?

gymman1031

Gold Member
Jan 24, 2008
Which program, for multiple reasons, do you think has underachieved the most in history when it comes to both recruiting and on-court results. There are several that could be mentioned, but I say it is Notre Dame.

YES, they
-are a football school
-aren’t in a very fun and exciting town
-have tough academics
-have an arena that is old, and, while not bad, not one of the best

BUT, on the other-hand, they:
-have plenty of money and lots of rabid fans that follow their athletics
-have nice facilities
-have an on-campus arena
-have a beautiful campus
-are the most famous Catholic college in America. Catholic high schools produce so much fine talent, and several of those players take pride in continuing their Catholic education for college

However, while the Irish have made the tournament many times throughout the years, they have also missed it several times, too. And they don’t have a history of lots of deep runs. In fact, their last Final Four, I believe, was 1978.

Don’t get me wrong. I hope Mike Brey does well and is allowed to stay for a long time. But still, I feel that what I posted above is true.

I’m almost positive op did this thread last year. Idk why he is hell bent on thinking guys that go to catholic high schools lean heavily to going to a catholic college.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
Illinois is the right answer. I remember two great teams that had the misfortune of being great in years where others were really good--1989 when Michigan was equally as outstanding and 2005 where UNC had a great team. But with Chicago alone...no other state with a state school that has no real competitor for talent within it's own borders should compete with Illinois.

Ditto with football which was something Beano Cooke used to talk about before he died.

What you people don't understand about IL, is its not upper midwest. Chi town is a drive.

It's Hicksville like PU and Indiana

Reactions: RichardMassive
What you people don't understand about IL, is its not upper midwest. Chi town is a drive.

It's Hicksville like PU and Indiana

You don’t know shit, Hawkit. :) Downstate has well over 4 million people (more than all of Iowa), and Illinois VERY easily has the most fans in the Chicago metro - not really very close, either ... 220,000 alumni here. I have lived in Peoria and Iowa and now live in Chicago, and I love all three but fundamentally disagree with your hot take.

Illinois is not the answer. You can argue UI should have done even better historically, but Illinois has a very good tradition ... never won it all, but three near misses, 5 Final Fours, 30 Tournament appearances, second highest winning percentage all-time in the Big Ten, etc. I think for MOST underachieving, you have to go with a program that’s done less than that. I agree with Texas.

Reactions: hawkit3113
You don’t know shit, Hawkit. :) Downstate has well over 4 million people (more than all of Iowa), and Illinois VERY easily has the most fans in the Chicago metro - not really very close, either ... 220,000 alumni here. I have lived in Peoria and Iowa and now live in Chicago, and I love all three but fundamentally disagree with your hot take.

Illinois is not the answer. You can argue UI should have done even better historically, but Illinois has a very good tradition ... never won it all, but three near misses, 5 Final Fours, 30 Tournament appearances, second highest winning percentage all-time in the Big Ten, etc. I think for MOST underachieving, you have to go with a program that’s done less than that. I agree with Texas.

I live in Iowa and can be in Chicago in 2 and a half hours.

Champ Urbana is a drive for Chi Town folks.

Good school but so are a bunch of others schools in the Upper Midwest

I live in Iowa and can be in Chicago in 2 and a half hours.

Champ Urbana is a drive for Chi Town folks.

Good school but so are a bunch of others schools in the Upper Midwest

Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin are a cut above public schools in the upper Midwest, rankingwise. Not like I care; I didn’t go to U of I, I just have always been a fan!

Also, Champaign to downtown Chicago is just over two hours. Closest you can get to Chicago from anywhere in Iowa is just under three. Trust me, I’m making the drive to Chambana next Friday for a game! Wish I could head to Iowa City Sunday, but I have a grad school exam Monday and don’t wanna be driving during the Super Bowl. Love watching games at Carver, though, no bad seats!

Reactions: hawkit3113
Illinois, Michigan and Wisconsin are a cut above public schools in the upper Midwest, rankingwise. Not like I care; I didn’t go to U of I, I just have always been a fan!

Also, Champaign to downtown Chicago is just over two hours. Closest you can get to Chicago from anywhere in Iowa is just under three. Trust me, I’m making the drive to Chambana next Friday for a game! Wish I could head to Iowa City Sunday, but I have a grad school exam Monday and don’t wanna be driving during the Super Bowl. Love watching games at Carver, though, no bad seats!

Don't back sass me, you little bitch. Lol

All-time? I'd say Xavier or Missouri.

I think you could make an argument for Texas, too. I mean, 1 Final Four appearance for a school that is consistently stacked with 4-star recruits? Very underwhelming.

All-time? I'd say Xavier or Missouri.

I think you could make an argument for Texas, too. I mean, 1 Final Four appearance for a school that is consistently stacked with 4-star recruits? Very underwhelming.
John Sunvold and Steve Stipanovich think you’re crazy.

Maybe RECENTLY, Kentucky takes the cake. All that NBA talent, yet, correct me if I am wrong, one national title and only one other title game appearance in the Calipari era.
Exactly, we should have gone 40-0 in one of, if not both 38 win seasons. I credit HOF Calipari for putting us in that position, to be the only team to pull that off, but damn those 38 wins, he'll be known for those 2 losses.....except for '12. He won a title that year.

Oh and to address the underline. He only has 1 title, 1 Runner up, 4 Final fours, and 7 Elite 8's in the last 10 years. He should have more. Everyone expects more from UK, and awesome there's been two better coaches than him this past decade.

...and speaking of talent. You're right, we should use his success against him. I like to do the same with Dean Smith.

:D

Last edited:
Reactions: Random UK Fan
The correct answer is Northwestern and I don't think I need to list a bunch of reasons. They have made the NCAAT one time in their existence.

Now, what do I win?

Exactly, we should have gone 40-0 in one of, if not both 38 win seasons. I credit HOF Calipari for putting us in that position, to be the only team to pull that off, but damn those 38 wins, he'll be known for those 2 losses.....except for '12. He won a title that year.

Oh and to address the underline. He only has 1 title, 1 Runner up, 4 Final fours, and 7 Elite 8's in the last 10 years. He should have more. Everyone expects more from UK, and awesome there's been two better coaches than him this past decade.

...and speaking of talent. You're right, we should use his success against him. I like to do the same with Dean Smith.

Dang, 7 elite 8s in 10 years is mighty impressive.

Reactions: lurkeraspect84
The correct answer is Northwestern and I don't think I need to list a bunch of reasons. They have made the NCAAT one time in their existence.

Now, what do I win?

Still more tournament wins than Nebraska.

I’m almost positive op did this thread last year. Idk why he is hell bent on thinking guys that go to catholic high schools lean heavily to going to a catholic college.

I never said "lean heavily". I should have said something like, "It is not uncommon for kids who play for Catholic high schools to want to continue their Catholic education for college".

I never said "lean heavily". I should have said something like, "It is not uncommon for kids who play for Catholic high schools to want to continue their Catholic education for college".

Yea we did this last year, I think you’re way off base. Some, probably very few, are openly religious and would like to continue a catholic education. Most are at catholic high schools because they give grants or scholarship money.

IdealWeeklyBandicoot-size_restricted.gif

congrats on your win. Probably one of the biggest in Wisconsin history.

It evens out the blatantly missed call with about 8 minute left. Trey Lyles smacked Josh Gasser across the face, probably deserving of a flagrant foul. And nothing was whistled.

Reactions: jwardelt
It evens out the blatantly missed call from the 1st half. Trey Lyles smacked Josh Gasser across the face, probably deserving of a flagrant foul. And nothing was whistled.
Hmmm. remember that time Laettner stomped on a UK's player chest? He later said he did it on purpose and knew he got away with one.

It evens out the blatantly missed call with about 8 minute left. Trey Lyles smacked Josh Gasser across the face, probably deserving of a flagrant foul. And nothing was whistled.
yeah, that's exactly the same.

anyway, my original point remains the same. We're the only team to have two 38 win seasons with one being a title year. Calipari's 3rd 38 win season was vacated, so UK is the only team to do it....twice. I doubt we'll see a national champion with 39-1 or a perfect season.

yeah, that's exactly the same.

anyway, my original point remains the same. We're the only team to have two 38 win seasons with one being a title year. Calipari's 3rd 38 win season was vacated, so UK is the only team to do it....twice.

Wisconsin would have had two free throws and the ball. Pretty close to evening things out.

And yes, winning 38 games is a heckuva an accomplishment. Not sure I agree that they should have gone 40-0, however.

Wisconsin would have had two free throws and the ball. Pretty close to evening things out.

And yes, winning 38 games is a heckuva an accomplishment. Not sure I agree that they should have gone 40-0, however.
yeah, they were only 38-0, crazy to think they could have won two more games. It is what it is, and UK has come as close as any team in the "modern era" to do so.

Recent history sure. I wasn't around for the 47 seasons of no NCAA tourney. Could have been some gems in their. Or the 1941 Natty. Big time stuff.
I was just looking at your wiki. I didn't realize you have 4 Final fours. Bo Ryan was a great coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT