ADVERTISEMENT

Most Top 25 Wins in the last decade...

I figured we were number 1 but was shocked how far the gap was. You always hear how Tom izzo always has michigan state playing a strong schedule. Figured they’d be closer.

I'd be curious to see what the numbers are for the end of season top 25; meaning maybe a team was in the top 25 when you played them but dropped out by season's end (or vice versa). Iowa State and Alabama have wins over #1 UNC this season. The same UNC that is currently nowhere close to the top 25 and will have to go on a big run just to make the tournament. I bet @dukedevilz has the stats for that somewhere. 🤣

The Big 12 is over rated. Thence the big numbers.

If the rating were correct the Big 12 would be dominate in the NCAA.
I might have to disagree on the big 12 being overrated. The past 2 winners are from the big 12 and the 2 favored teams in 2020 also coming from the big 12, 40% of the conference also has a final four in the past 10 years (Oklahoma, Texas tech, baylor and KU). Three teams have done terrible the past decade (Texas,TCU, okie state) with no s16 between them. Three have had marginal success (Iowa state has 3 s16, West Virginia has 3 s16, k-state has 1 elite 8). So respectfully disagree.

You mean it's possible to be consistently good and not go to NIT's or lose to UMBC? Cray

How many of those top 25 wins would you sacrifice for an additional natty or two in that timeframe?

It's great to be consistently good and you are definitely that. I don't think anyone's arguing that there's a better program than KU right now. My point is that most people care about championships, not top 25 wins.

How many of those top 25 wins would you sacrifice for an additional natty or two in that timeframe?

It's great to be consistently good and you are definitely that. I don't think anyone's arguing that there's a better program than KU right now. My point is that most people care about championships, not top 25 wins.
Is the exchange rate 80-1? Because I’d give them all for one more crown.

The Big 12 is over rated. Thence the big numbers.

If the rating were correct the Big 12 would be dominate in the NCAA.

A Big 12 team won it all the last two years. In 2020, they would have had two 1 seeds, including the overall 1. In 2019, a Big 12 team lost the title game in OT. The year before, there were 3 Big 12 teams in the Elite 8 and one reached the final four.

I think the league has done okay. If not, imagine what that says about the SEC.

I might have to disagree on the big 12 being overrated. The past 2 winners are from the big 12 and the 2 favored teams in 2020 also coming from the big 12, 40% of the conference also has a final four in the past 10 years (Oklahoma, Texas tech, baylor and KU). Three teams have done terrible the past decade (Texas,TCU, okie state) with no s16 between them. Three have had marginal success (Iowa state has 3 s16, West Virginia has 3 s16, k-state has 1 elite 8). So respectfully disagree.

The Big 12 is definitely not overrated but it’s also not watered down like the other power conferences. Remove the bottom 5 teams from any power conference and it’s an improvement. If the ACC got rid of the bottom 5 teams and we got to play each team home and away, our conference metrics would look much better. But the Big 12 is the best conference and has been for the last several years. Anyone arguing otherwise is just wrong.

I don't think people realize how damn hard it is to win one. If every round was 2 out of 3. KU probably has 3 more titles. Coach K spoiled fans.

KU should probably have another title , at least with Bill.

Look at this though, the worst KU bill self team had 24 wins. Worst seed was a 4 seed. Man has more B12 titles than home losses. Crap teams like UNC can get hot in the tourney. What KU does every year to the B12 and top 25 should be equally held in esteem as another title.

Surprised Cuse made the list. Not bad for arguably the worst 10 year stretch of the school’s history

Reactions: toonces11
A Big 12 team won it all the last two years. In 2020, they would have had two 1 seeds, including the overall 1. In 2019, a Big 12 team lost the title game in OT. The year before, there were 3 Big 12 teams in the Elite 8 and one reached the final four.

I think the league has done okay. If not, imagine what that says about the SEC.
Its about the same as football in reverse.

The Big 12 is definitely not overrated but it’s also not watered down like the other power conferences. Remove the bottom 5 teams from any power conference and it’s an improvement. If the ACC got rid of the bottom 5 teams and we got to play each team home and away, our conference metrics would look much better. But the Big 12 is the best conference and has been for the last several years. Anyone arguing otherwise is just wrong.
Which is why I was fine with the big 12 staying at 10 teams. They missed out not adding Louisville instead of West Virginia but ten is an ideal size for a conference imo. Allows for home to home in basketball and 9 conference games in football. These mega conferences are gonna suck the fun out of everything.

Reactions: jhmossy and asindc
Which is why I was fine with the big 12 staying at 10 teams. They missed out not adding Louisville instead of West Virginia but ten is an ideal size for a conference imo. Allows for home to home in basketball and 9 conference games in football. These mega conferences are gonna suck the fun out of everything.
I think the best move would've been for the Big 12 and Pac 12 to combine into one super conference rather than losing UT, OU, UCLA, and USC and replacing them with mid-majors. But, obviously, neither conference would want to fold.

Reactions: Bert Higginbotha
Kansas-80
MSU-60
Duke-59
Baylor-59
Nova-55
UNC-51
Michigan-48
Wisconsin-48
Iowa State-48
Virginia-46
Oklahoma-46
Kentucky-43
Indiana-42
Purdue-40
Texas-40
Iowa-38
Ohio State-38
WVU-38
Texas Tech-36
KSU-36
Okie State-36
Oregon-35
Creighton-34
UL-34
Cuse-33
Sh**...........I wouldn't have pegged us for double digits in wins over ranked opponents.

I was waaaay f***ing off lol.

I don't think people realize how damn hard it is to win one. If every round was 2 out of 3. KU probably has 3 more titles. Coach K spoiled fans.

The crazy thing with Duke's run is, our most dominant years were actually between 1998-2004. We won 2 titles in the 2010's, but honestly, we weren't wildly consistent during that decade. That 7-year run from 98-04, however, was sensational. Except for the part where we only had 1 title. know, I know... only one, must be awful.

Heading into the tournament, we were the AP #1 team in 1999, 2000, 2001, and 2002. We were #1 heading into the ACC Tournament in 1998. We weren't the AP #1 in 2004, but we had the most NBA talent, and I think most had us as the favorites over Stanford and Kentucky.

6 out of those 7 years we had an argument for being the favorite to win it all. And we were a 1 seed in '05 and '06... so you could say we went 1 for 8 during that 9-year stint.

So, yes, to your point, winning titles is very, very difficult. Even if you're a 1 seed with a stacked roster.

I figured we were number 1 but was shocked how far the gap was. You always hear how Tom izzo always has michigan state playing a strong schedule. Figured they’d be closer.
They do play a strong schedule, but they have lost many of those tougher games.

It's gonna take a decade of KU folding for this to not be true for the foreseeable future.
With Texas taking their candy asses to the SEC we will lose 5-7 ranked wins in the next decade. Not sure if what replaces them will fill the void (Houston is a flash in the pan. They won’t sustain once sassar leaves). But as long as hcbs prowls the sidelines we will be leading this category next decade as well imo.

KU should probably have another title , at least with Bill.

Look at this though, the worst KU bill self team had 24 wins. Worst seed was a 4 seed. Man has more B12 titles than home losses. Crap teams like UNC can get hot in the tourney. What KU does every year to the B12 and top 25 should be equally held in esteem as another title.
I fvcking hate Kansas. But Bill Self is hands down the best X and O guy in the game for my money.

I fvcking hate Kansas. But Bill Self is hands down the best X and O guy in the game for my money.

Why do you think Kentucky fans hate KU so much? Or is it just an "I hate everybody else" kinda thing...

Why do you think Kentucky fans hate KU so much? Or is it just an "I hate everybody else" kinda thing...
Most UK fans I know actually like and respect KU. We've always had great games we both have a long-time passion for the game. None of this time framing bs.
KU gets to start from the beginning. Not many can.

Most UK fans I know actually like and respect KU. We've always had great games we both have a long-time passion for the game. None of this time framing bs.
KU gets to start from the beginning. Not many can.
I think you will find most KU fans are the same. We have a little jealousy because Kentucky has succeeded more in the tourney than we have, but there is mutual respect. Doesn’t mean I root for Kentucky, but I don’t root against them. That kind of hatred is reserved for you rival

And Duke.

I think most of it has to do with the all time wins thing. But my hate started when you kicked our ass 150-95. I respect the program, and as a high school basketball coach I have stolen a lot of shit from Self, particularly zone offense.

With Texas taking their candy asses to the SEC we will lose 5-7 ranked wins in the next decade. Not sure if what replaces them will fill the void (Houston is a flash in the pan. They won’t sustain once sassar leaves). But as long as hcbs prowls the sidelines we will be leading this category next decade as well imo.
Hate to break it to you but Houston is going nowhere as long as Sampson is coaching there. Do you not remember what he did with Oklahoma while in the Big 12 years ago? Or how he had Indiana headed back to prominence?

No, Houston will replace Texas nicely in basketball

Reactions: toonces11
Kansas-80
MSU-60
Duke-59
Baylor-59
Nova-55
UNC-51
Michigan-48
Wisconsin-48
Iowa State-48
Virginia-46
Oklahoma-46
Kentucky-43
Indiana-42
Purdue-40
Texas-40
Iowa-38
Ohio State-38
WVU-38
Texas Tech-36
KSU-36
Okie State-36
Oregon-35
Creighton-34
UL-34
Cuse-33
Would not have guessed IU is that high given how bad the last decade has been.

Hate to break it to you but Houston is going nowhere as long as Sampson is coaching there. Do you not remember what he did with Oklahoma while in the Big 12 years ago? Or how he had Indiana headed back to prominence?

No, Houston will replace Texas nicely in basketball
Totally agree. Sampson has major coaching chops.....he doesnt need highly ranked dudes to put an super competitive team on the court. As long as he is there, they will be a tough win home and away.

Kansas-80
MSU-60
Duke-59
Baylor-59
Nova-55
UNC-51
Michigan-48
Wisconsin-48
Iowa State-48
Virginia-46
Oklahoma-46
Kentucky-43