ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impactful Small Forward in 2021-22?

Who will be the most impactful small forward in 2021-22?

• Timmy Allen, Texas

Votes: 5 16.7%
  • Emoni Bates, Memphis

Votes: 6 20.0%
  • Kellan Grady, Kentucky

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Caleb Houstan, Michigan

Votes: 4 13.3%
  • Taevion Kinsey, Marshall

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bennedict Mathurin, Arizona

Votes: 2 6.7%
  • Justin Powell, Tennessee

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Jared Rhoden, Seton Hall

Votes: 1 3.3%
  • Terrence Shannon, Texas Tech

Votes: 3 10.0%
  • Jabari Walker, Colorado

Votes: 2 6.7%

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Who will be the most impactful small forward this season? Timmy Allen, Kellan Grady, and Justin Powell have all transferred, so be mindful of that.

Emoni Bates is the #4 recruit by 247 & Rivals. Caleb Houstan is the #6 recruit in the RSCI rankings.

Here are the stats for the 8 returning players in my top 10 list.

2022-Small-Forwards.png

I think this is arguably the weakest position. However, many of these guys haven't had the opportunity to shine yet. I think there will be several breakout candidates from this position. Jabari Walker seems like an obvious one. Dude was crazy efficient last year with his shooting splits, and he was on a top 25 team. I'm sure there are others. Peyton Watson I think could be a solid candidate, just feel like UCLA has so many vets. May not have a high enough usage to be especially impactful.

I decided to classify Julian Champagne as a 4, even though he's most likely a 3 in the NBA. I'm more concerned with the minutes they'll play in college.

HM: Peyton Watson (UCLA), Jaden Shackelford (Alabama), Armaan Franklin (Virginia), AJ Griffin (Duke), Taz Sherman (West Virginia), Kendall Brown (Baylor), Justice Sueing (Ohio State), Jonathan Davis (Wisconsin), Hyunjung Lee (Davidson), Jules Bernard (UCLA), Gabe Brown (Michigan State)

Last edited:
Reactions: FaithPlusOne
Looks like I botchced this one a bit. Can't see who voted for which player.

Definitely don't think there's an obvious choice with the small forwards. I went with Mathurin. I think he's going to have a monster season.

Huge fan of Timmy Allen. Not sure of the roster makeup for Texas but I think he'll be all big 12 or however many teams are still in that conference.

Powell was awesome in the non con but then didn't play and transferred to like his 5th school in 3 years.

Think Grady has a lower ceiling than most but is gonna be very valuable for UK next year. I'll be biased and pick him since there is no real standout.

Who will be the most impactful small forward this season? Timmy Allen, Kellan Grady, and Justin Powell have all transferred, so be mindful of that.

Emoni Bates is the #4 recruit by 247 & Rivals. Caleb Houstan is the #6 recruit in the RSCI rankings.

Here are the stats for the 8 returning players in my top 10 list.

2022-Small-Forwards.png

I think this is arguably the weakest position. However, many of these guys haven't had the opportunity to shine yet. I think there will be several breakout candidates from this position. Jabari Walker seems like an obvious one. Dude was crazy efficient last year with his shooting splits, and he was on a top 25 team. I'm sure there are others. Peyton Watson I think could be a solid candidate, just feel like UCLA has so many vets. May not have a high enough usage to be especially impactful.

I decided to classify Julian Champagne as a 4, even though he's most likely a 3 in the NBA. I'm more concerned with the minutes they'll play in college.

HM: Peyton Watson (UCLA), Jaden Shackelford (Alabama), Armaan Franklin (Virginia), AJ Griffin (Duke), Taz Sherman (West Virginia), Kendall Brown (Baylor), Justice Sueing (Ohio State), Jonathan Davis (Wisconsin), Hyunjung Lee (Davidson), Jules Bernard (UCLA), Gabe Brown (Michigan State)

I don't think Bates sees the 3-spot. Unless something changes he's destined for the 1 and 2 at Memphis.

Timmy Allen’s game is limited
If he can get that space he could put up some big scoring games but don’t know if that space will be there
Allen isn’t a guy who helps create space because he lacks a shot
Grady is a good player. Saw him at Davidson last year. They had some Korean player that I like as well.
But Grady has limitations to his game as well.

A lot of good/great players but no one great/elite

Tyler Wahl

Isn't he more of a 4? Either way, he wouldn't make my top 10 list.

I don't think Bates sees the 3-spot. Unless something changes he's destined for the 1 and 2 at Memphis.

Perhaps. I've heard he may play the point. But, just looking at his high school numbers, I'm very skeptical. He averaged about 3 assists a game for the past two seasons. For someone who has the ball in his hands a lot, that's pretty modest. I had similar concerns with Austin Rivers (29 ppg and 2 assists) and Frank Jackson (28 ppg and 3 assists) as effective facilitators.

Alex Lomax is more of a true point guard. But given the talent Memphis has, it wouldn't be surprising if his minutes are reduced. I'm guessing Memphis will handle point guard duties more by a committee. Lomax, Quinones, Bates... and Deandre Williams operating at the high post.

Timmy Allen’s game is limited
If he can get that space he could put up some big scoring games but don’t know if that space will be there
Allen isn’t a guy who helps create space because he lacks a shot
Grady is a good player. Saw him at Davidson last year. They had some Korean player that I like as well.
But Grady has limitations to his game as well.

A lot of good/great players but no one great/elite

Wouldn't be surprised if he sees a decent amount of time at the 4. He's got an effective low post game. He's also an effective distributor. Realistically, he can play anywhere from 1-4 on the court. Just think with Disu, Bishop, and Mitchell commanding a fair amount of minutes, Allen would have more opportunity at the 3.

Not exactly sure what Allen's role will be at Texas. He was 1st Team All Pac-12 in a league that proved to be one of the best. Allen will carve out a role somewhere. You guys have a lot of nice pieces with Carr, Ramey, Jones, Allen, and the three aforementioned bigs. Allen is versatile, but yes, his shot is lacking. Disu and Mitchell can hit shots from the outside, though, so that should help with some of the spacing issues.

And yes, Hyunjung Lee is a gamer. I listed him in my honorable mentions. Arguably the best shooter in the country.

What's the story on Walker, CO? Only 14 Min per am I reading that correctly? Injury? Something else?

Looking at your HM list, gut thought... Taz for WVU, seeing a lot more shots coming his way this year. You got Culver and McBride turning pro, Matthews Jr and McCabe transferred I think... That's 4 guys gone. It is possible they are not good given the depth of B12, but if they are competitive Taz probably puts up over 20 per game. I could see him having a massive break-out this year actually now that his PT is going to be in the low to mid 30s per.

Went with Bates, just from what it looks like he may not be their top player but they are gonna play him a ton and if they are going to be really good he'll need to be productive.

What's the story on Walker, CO? Only 14 Min per am I reading that correctly? Injury? Something else?

Was a freshmen on a top 25 team last year. D'Shawn Schwartz and Jeriah Horne, the forwards playing in front of him, were both seniors. I think this was simply a matter of a coach deferring to his upperclassmen. They both shot 40% from 3, so it wasn't as though they weren't playing well. Colorado lost 5 of its top 7 players; Walker should get plenty of touches this season.

Looking at your HM list, gut thought... Taz for WVU, seeing a lot more shots coming his way this year. You got Culver and McBride turning pro, Matthews Jr and McCabe transferred I think... That's 4 guys gone. It is possible they are not good given the depth of B12, but if they are competitive Taz probably puts up over 20 per game. I could see him having a massive break-out this year actually now that his PT is going to be in the low to mid 30s per.

Yeah, Taz probably deserves more credit than I gave him. I guess I'm a little stuck on him being slightly out of position and grabbing less than 2 boards a game. But, you're right. He could be one of the elite scorers this season. Could very well contend for the Big 12 scoring title.

Isn't he more of a 4? Either way, he wouldn't make my top 10 list.

Perhaps. I've heard he may play the point. But, just looking at his high school numbers, I'm very skeptical. He averaged about 3 assists a game for the past two seasons. For someone who has the ball in his hands a lot, that's pretty modest. I had similar concerns with Austin Rivers (29 ppg and 2 assists) and Frank Jackson (28 ppg and 3 assists) as effective facilitators.

Alex Lomax is more of a true point guard. But given the talent Memphis has, it wouldn't be surprising if his minutes are reduced. I'm guessing Memphis will handle point guard duties more by a committee. Lomax, Quinones, Bates... and Deandre Williams operating at the high post.

Wouldn't be surprised if he sees a decent amount of time at the 4. He's got an effective low post game. He's also an effective distributor. Realistically, he can play anywhere from 1-4 on the court. Just think with Disu, Bishop, and Mitchell commanding a fair amount of minutes, Allen would have more opportunity at the 3.

Not exactly sure what Allen's role will be at Texas. He was 1st Team All Pac-12 in a league that proved to be one of the best. Allen will carve out a role somewhere. You guys have a lot of nice pieces with Carr, Ramey, Jones, Allen, and the three aforementioned bigs. Allen is versatile, but yes, his shot is lacking. Disu and Mitchell can hit shots from the outside, though, so that should help with some of the spacing issues.

And yes, Hyunjung Lee is a gamer. I listed him in my honorable mentions. Arguably the best shooter in the country.

I got confused. I thought this was the breakout player small forward thread. I dont think Wahl is the top SF, just a mistake in reading the thread.

Reactions: dukedevilz
Was a freshmen on a top 25 team last year. D'Shawn Schwartz and Jeriah Horne, the forwards playing in front of him, were both seniors. I think this was simply a matter of a coach deferring to his upperclassmen. They both shot 40% from 3, so it wasn't as though they weren't playing well. Colorado lost 5 of its top 7 players; Walker should get plenty of touches this season.

Yeah, Taz probably deserves more credit than I gave him. I guess I'm a little stuck on him being slightly out of position and grabbing less than 2 boards a game. But, you're right. He could be one of the elite scorers this season. Could very well contend for the Big 12 scoring title.
Good point on Taz other stats that ppg is just one category he probably needs to expand his impact.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'm going to guess Emoni Bates, Kellan Grady, Timmy Allen, and Terrence Shannon.

Caleb Houstan would be my next pick.
you almost had it. No idea who Allen is and I've heard of Houston.

Last year really was an odd year for me. Between taking care of the puppies and an overall horrible year for college basketball where basically only the BIg10 and Big12 were worth watching during the regular season...really caused me to be ignorant to a lot of players coming back this year.

Allen is one of those players you saw a lot more back in the day
People would call them scorers.
Just a guy who would look to get downhill. Either you foul him or he gets his shot off

Very intelligent scorer. Has a lot of moves.
Actually fits how Beard likes to play. His teams are about getting to the rim instead of throwing up outside shots

Why he calls himself Timmy Buckets. He is just picks up those points.

His game is limited.
The other two guys
Jase Febres and Jaylon Tyson have better shots
The idea is for Febres to develop more of his game
For Tyson to get comfortable at the college level
Like I have said in another thread. There are people who think Tyson could end up being a better player at the end of the season and cut into Allen’s minutes

But this role is a 3/4 because they play with 3 guards a lot of the times

Didn't see these guys on that HM list. Oversight by OPEEEEE?
They will cut into Allen’s minutes
Same with Cunningham

A lot of players who can play big minutes in certain games and others not as much
So players like Allen and even Tre Mitchell could have their minutes cut
This takes away from their production. Doesn’t mean the player isn’t as good but often times teams don’t have that type of depth so players play minutes they shouldn’t

They will cut into Allen’s minutes
Same with Cunningham

A lot of players who can play big minutes in certain games and others not as much
So players like Allen and even Tre Mitchell could have their minutes cut
This takes away from their production. Doesn’t mean the player isn’t as good but often times teams don’t have that type of depth so players play minutes they shouldn’t
just giving you sh!t buddy

just giving you sh!t buddy
Go back to what I said about Max Abmas and the PG
Take the best player on the worst team

If you have one giant at the table and four midgets.
Big boy going eat
But if you have big boys who don’t even have a seat at the table it cause competition and sometimes that competition leads to a decrease in production unless a guy is just heads and shoulders above everyone else

Go back to what I said about Max Abmas and the PG
Take the best player on the worst team

If you have one giant at the table and four midgets.
Big boy going eat
But if you have big boys who don’t even have a seat at the table it cause competition and sometimes that competition leads to a decrease in production unless a guy is just heads and shoulders above everyone else
Yes. I am familiar with rosters that have 8-10 legit players, and how things can go.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT