ADVERTISEMENT

Most Impactful Shooting Guard in 2021-22?

Who will be the most impactful shooting guard in 2021-22?

• Matt Bradley, San Diego State

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Michael Devoe, Georgia Tech

• Iverson Molinar, Mississippi State

• Isaiah Wong, Miami

• Total voters

dukedevilz

Apr 3, 2002
Who will be the most impactful two guard? Lots of good options here.

Here are the stats from this past season. Matt Bradley is the only transfer, leaving Cal in favor of San Diego State. And TyTy Washington is the only freshmen in my top 10 poll.

2022-Shooting-Guards.png

I think many would see TyTy and Barcello primarily as point guards. However, with Sahvir Wheeler (5th in the NCAA in assists) and Te'Jon Lucas (15th in the NCAA assists) transferring into those respective programs, I suspect both will be utilized more as combo guards. Juzang could arguably be a SF. But, UCLA has big wings regardless (Juzang + Jules Bernard and Peyton Watson).

Lots of other guys are probably worthy of consideration. Justin Moore, Anthony Polite, Adam Flagler, Avery Anderson, Ochai Agbaji, Andrew Jones, Noah Williams, and De'Vion Harmon are a few that come to mind.

picked JJ but its tough to argue against Buddy. TyTy, if he's back next year, will have a much stronger case to be picked.

Juzang is a solid choice. Legit candidate for National POY. I went with Ivey. I think his scoring is going to explode this season. Just needs to be a little more efficient.

I'm going to include one freshman in each of these polls. I'm a little bullish on TyTy. Just think his shooting touch, combined with his athleticism makes his ceiling extremely high.

Reactions: JimboBBN
I know there are a lot of others on the team in terms of usage, and this is a great list, but thinking you might want to include Justin Moore.

Seen people raving about the kid for Purdue and given my head injuries I can't recall his game, but look forward to watching him blow up this year.

Reactions: dukedevilz
I'm going to include one freshman in each of these polls. I'm a little bullish on TyTy. Just think his shooting touch, combined with his athleticism makes his ceiling extremely high.

My question is I have no idea where Cal is gonna line these guys up at. Washington is probably our best long term PG, but would guarantee Wheeler starts there. Then you have Mintz/Grady/Fredrick etc. Lot of talented guys, no real standout.

Is this the thread where everybody votes for the guy that plays on their team?
RollLaugh

I voted for the guy who quit because he wasn't good enough for my team 😉

My question is I have no idea where Cal is gonna line these guys up at. Washington is probably our best long term PG, but would guarantee Wheeler starts there. Then you have Mintz/Grady/Fredrick etc. Lot of talented guys, no real standout.

I voted for the guy who quit because he wasn't good enough for my team 😉
JJ can shoot it, I really don't know why he left UK.

Cal does just fine when he has "too many" guys, it's when he's a little strapped is when he finds problems.

I know there are a lot of others on the team in terms of usage, and this is a great list, but thinking you might want to include Justin Moore.

He could certainly be a top 10 SG. I had him on my short list of Honorable Mentions.
Lots of other guys are probably worthy of consideration. Justin Moore, Anthony Polite, Adam Flagler, Avery Anderson, Ochai Agbaji, Andrew Jones, Noah Williams, and De'Vion Harmon are a few that come to mind.

Is this the thread where everybody votes for the guy that plays on their team?
RollLaugh

Happens way too much, unfortunately.

Washington obviously has a much higher ceiling than Wheeler. But, having two point guards isn't a bad thing. Worked out okay for Baylor. I suspect the starting backcourt will be Wheeler, Washington, and Grady. Perhaps Mintz will begin the season as a starter; not confident he ends the season as a starter. Fredrick should carve out a role as a much needed catch and shoot scorer. Maybe around 20 minutes off the bench.

Not sure how the minutes will pan out, but at least he has a lot of flexibility to find combinations that work well together.

Seen people raving about the kid for Purdue and given my head injuries I can't recall his game, but look forward to watching him blow up this year.

He's got all the tools to be a superstar. Tremendous athlete, defender, and scorer. He's excellent at driving and finishing in traffic. Just struggles a bit to hit his outside shots with consistency.

This one has to be Juzang in a blow out right? I only heard of one other guy on the list lol, the kid who's genetically predisposed to grow up to be a murderer like his father.

JJ can shoot it, I really don't know why he left UK.

Cal does just fine when he has "too many" guys, it's when he's a little strapped is when he finds problems.

Start of the pandemic 2000 miles away from home for a 19 year old kid had to be tough. He didn't play enough and his best game was the final game of the year where Cal had nobody else with Hagans suspended. Kentucky had Clarke and Boston coming in and saw the writing on the wall I think. Obviously it was a fvck up on Cal's part. He isn't good at valuing bench shooters. Juzang should have played more when Hagans started playing like he was shaving points again. Hard to expect much PT over Quickley or Maxey though.

Reactions: Villian07
This one has to be Juzang in a blow out right? I only heard of one other guy on the list lol, the kid who's genetically predisposed to grow up to be a murderer like his father.

You haven't heard of anyone outside of Juzang and Boeheim? Bro. These guys are all studs. 9 of the 10 averaged 15 ppg or higher. And Ivey will almost certainly average north of 15 this year. Here's a quick rundown of the other 8 individuals

Eric Ayala, Maryland: HM All-Conference
Alex Barcello, BYU: HM All-American
Matt Bradley, SDSU: 2nd Team All-Conference (Pac 12)
Michael Devoe, Georgia Tech: ACC Tournament MVP
Jaden Ivey, Purdue: Big Ten All-Freshman Team
Iverson Molinar, Miss State: No Award. But, 2nd in the SEC in 3pt%, 4th in PPG, 6th in FG%.
TyTy Washington, Kentucky: Skyrocketed from 75th to 14th in the RSCI Rankings. Projected 1st Rounder.
Isaiah Wong, Miami: 3rd Team All-Conference

You haven't heard of anyone outside of Juzang and Boeheim? Bro. These guys are all studs. 9 of the 10 averaged 15 ppg or higher. And Ivey will almost certainly average north of 15 this year. Here's a quick rundown of the other 8 individuals

Eric Ayala, Maryland: HM All-Conference
Alex Barcello, BYU: HM All-American
Matt Bradley, SDSU: 2nd Team All-Conference (Pac 12)
Michael Devoe, Georgia Tech: ACC Tournament MVP
Jaden Ivey, Purdue: Big Ten All-Freshman Team
Iverson Molinar, Miss State: No Award. But, 2nd in the SEC in 3pt%, 4th in PPG, 6th in FG%.
TyTy Washington, Kentucky: Skyrocketed from 75th to 14th in the RSCI Rankings. Projected 1st Rounder.
Isaiah Wong, Miami: 3rd Team All-Conference
Yea it’s crazy considering how much college basketball I watch, but then again I also smoke more weed than probably every one on this board put together so there’s that.

Although now that I think about it I really didn’t watch nearly as much basketball this past season as I usually do. Me and the wife got a pair of 8 week old Labrador puppies around Thanksgiving and they were a ton of work those first 5 months or so. Seemed like we were taking them out into the yard every 20 minutes.

Muh, I would have put Ochai Agbaji in Ty Tys place. He will be a good one

Did you just give dude a participation trophy?

RollLaugh RollLaugh RollLaugh

Hah, right. Bohannon doesn't seem like a realistic top 50 player, IMO. Top 50 guys (or top 10, per position) are likely picks for 1st Team All-Conference, and guys that could flirt with All-American honors. I could see Bohannon being maybe 3rd Team All-Conference. He can definitely get buckets. But, he has limitations. I'll release my top 150 players sometime in the fall. He might fall somewhere in the 101-150 range.

I bet he averages 17 a game. Or are we talking pro potential?

Nah. Impact on the college level. Bohannon probably will lead Iowa in scoring. He very well could be in the top 5 in the league in scoring. But, I see you guys as an NIT team. If you make it to the NCAAs, I think it will be more because of Keegan Murray than Bohannon.
Muh, I would have put Ochai Agbaji in Ty Tys place. He will be a good one

Agbaji has a higher floor than TyTy. Problem with OA is, he is surrounded by multiple All-American potential teammates, Remy Martin, Jalen Wilson, and David McCormack. KU being a contender on the national level should help, just feel like his averages might stay flat with the influx of talent coming in.

I would like to challenge the call on the field

I factor in potency when I'm making that claim. For the past 7 years or so 99% of my weed consumption is through dabs. So I'm vaping live resin, wax, shatter, rosin which are all about 10-20x more potent than smoking flower. And I vape pretty much non stop when I'm not at work.

Have a dab rig set up in our kitchen with an enail and leave it on at 650 degrees all the time when I'm home. Any time I walk by it I pay it a visit.

• Haha
Reactions: KisteK and cdbearde
Hmm. I carry around a cart/rig system 24/7. Dabs make me utterly worthless 😂 soo powerful.

so game set match, i will have to forfeit a timeout.

I got really lucky. A buddy of mine started growing in his basement and has gotten really good at it. I bought him a rosin press and in exchange he gives me grams of rosin for basically peanuts. He's a goofball and a lifelong friend so he doesn't even ask for money. Instead he puts stuff on a Amazon wishlist and I buy it and then he gives me a bunch of rosin. A couple months back I got him a ping pong table for him and his son and a bunch of other stuff that totaled $3000. In exchange he gave me 230g of rosin. That stuff goes for minimum $60 per gram at the dispensary so basically getting over $13,000 in rosin on that exchange.

Reactions: Villian07
Looks like a pretty clear two-man race between Jaden Ivey and Johnny Juzang. UCLA and Purdue both seem like solid top 10 squads, and Ivey and Juzang are likely to be the best players on those respective squads. Those two seem like the obvious choices.

Not sure who the next most likely candidate would be? Boeheim can get buckets. I could see him averaging north of 20 ppg. Just not sure how good Syracuse will be. Probably a bubble team, once again. I think that's the issue with the rest of the guys; we're just not sure how good their teams will be. Gaudy numbers on fringe NCAA teams isn't going to stand out.

Reactions: KisteK
Looks like a pretty clear two-man race between Jaden Ivey and Johnny Juzang. UCLA and Purdue both seem like solid top 10 squads, and Ivey and Juzang are likely to be the best players on those respective squads. Those two seem like the obvious choices.

Not sure who the next most likely candidate would be? Boeheim can get buckets. I could see him averaging north of 20 ppg. Just not sure how good Syracuse will be. Probably a bubble team, once again. I think that's the issue with the rest of the guys; we're just not sure how good their teams will be. Gaudy numbers on fringe NCAA teams isn't going to stand out.
Let's do something literally nobody in the world is doing, or has probably ever done. Let's take a closer examination into BYU's basketball possibilities.

Key departures, 2 of top 3 scorers, big man Haarms and PG Averette go play pro ball in Euro somewhere. So that's some key losses. But they are returning everything else, including leading scorer and assist man on your list here, Barcelo. Also return leading rebounder.

Impact Incoming player, SRRS transfer from UW-Milw Lucas, put up some #'s there 15&6 and 15&5 so that looks like a wash on losing Averette maybe even an upgrade? First couple years at Illinois started a lot of games there as true FR probably real bad team? Then again his So. yr at Illini before heading to UW-MilwFormer 3* recruit so a little bit of talent there. The COVID transfer rule gives a guy like this a 5th year of college basketball flying under the radar.

Other incoming player Seneca Knight looks like a wing with stats I don't quite have a handle on. 2 yrs ago at SJSt he put up 17ppg on 30 starts. Last year only played 4 games stats halved? So that feels like the definition of "wildcard" pick-up. From LA a little surprised LSU didn't give him a look maybe they did or maybe he's just a cut below to get on that team.

You have an up and coming HC Pope, return leading scorer, looks like a wash on departures/incoming maybe. Haarms was tall but those Reb per are pretty empty for him. These guys actually ended up with a tough draw last year they had to deal with UCLA.

So this could be a sleeper team and Barcelo could be a sleeper of all sleepers at SG.

Let's do something literally nobody in the world is doing, or has probably ever done. Let's take a closer examination into BYU's basketball possibilities.

Key departures, 2 of top 3 scorers, big man Haarms and PG Averette go play pro ball in Euro somewhere. So that's some key losses. But they are returning everything else, including leading scorer and assist man on your list here, Barcelo. Also return leading rebounder.

Impact Incoming player, SRRS transfer from UW-Milw Lucas, put up some #'s there 15&6 and 15&5 so that looks like a wash on losing Averette maybe even an upgrade? First couple years at Illinois started a lot of games there as true FR probably real bad team? Then again his So. yr at Illini before heading to UW-MilwFormer 3* recruit so a little bit of talent there. The COVID transfer rule gives a guy like this a 5th year of college basketball flying under the radar.

Other incoming player Seneca Knight looks like a wing with stats I don't quite have a handle on. 2 yrs ago at SJSt he put up 17ppg on 30 starts. Last year only played 4 games stats halved? So that feels like the definition of "wildcard" pick-up. From LA a little surprised LSU didn't give him a look maybe they did or maybe he's just a cut below to get on that team.

You have an up and coming HC Pope, return leading scorer, looks like a wash on departures/incoming maybe. Haarms was tall but those Reb per are pretty empty for him. These guys actually ended up with a tough draw last year they had to deal with UCLA.

So this could be a sleeper team and Barcelo could be a sleeper of all sleepers at SG.

Great points. BYU, for whatever reason, seems to be under the radar again. They've finished the past two seasons in the top 25. I'm pretty sure they didn't receive any AP Votes in the preseason polls from 2020 or 2021. Pope is an analytics junking and really values quality shots.

Barcello is a legit All-American candidate. Many forget that he was HM All-American. His shooting splits are outrageous, especially when you consider how many mid-range jumpers he takes. Given how efficient he is, I'd like to see his usage go up. Sometimes he defers too much.

He has a pretty strong supporting cast. As you mentioned, Te'Jon Lucas isn't just some random mid-major guy. He played 20+ minutes a night in the Big Ten; 15th in the NCAA in assists at UW Milwaukee. I think Lucas will play a similar role to Averette. Seneca Knight was 3rd Team All-Conference in the Mountain West, a respectable conference. Caleb Lohner could have a breakout season. Good rebounder, and he's a decent shooter and athlete. They'll miss the rim protection from Haarms, no question, but he was slow in transition, and was a poor rebounder for his size. BYU has a freshman coming in that will surprise some people, Fous Traore. Not sure why he wasn't ranked, tbh. Played at Wasatch Academy, a nationally ranked program, with Nolan Hickman. Baxter, a former top 100 kid, is back from injury. Gideon George showed some promise, but his offensive game is a little raw. Knell is great catch-and-shoot type of scorer.

All in all, not a bad squad. They deserve top 25 consideration to start the season. I think Barcello works better off the ball, so playing alongside Lucas could propel him into a 19-20 ppg scorer.

interesting, as you listed TyTy in this thread and not the other one. Typical player who will probably be a combo guard in college, but his future is at the point.

Oh, for sure. TyTy will be a point guard in the NBA. He's obviously more versatile than Wheeler, so putting him at the two spot alongside Wheeler makes sense. I'm reminded of Steph Curry who was mostly utilized as a combo guard in college, but obviously transitioned into more of the point guard in the league (not comparing TyTy to Steph, just the fact that combo guards sometimes do transition like that).

Reactions: JimboBBN
No Agbaji on this list?

He's one of my honorable mentions. He could very well be one of the premier shooting guards.

Reactions: wesr
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT